Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Garbled music I can believe; I've gotten garbled music in actual games before and it sounded pretty weird (one of the various buggy results of capturing MissingNo/M in the original pokemon games was that it could garble your music). Customized blood and guts sprites is a bit harder to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

The tvtropes page has a lot of Yume Nikki theories, but beware. There's some pretty drat :spergin: theories there.

That's pretty much true of anywhere on TVTropes. For every "Oh wow, that's really interesting!" bit of trivia there's going to be one fan that spends a little bit too much time thinking about a particular game/movie/show/book/etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Category Fun! posted:

And at the same time, you somehow hate broccoli. What the gently caress, man?

Broccoli is a lot like anal sex. If you're forced to have it as a child, you won't enjoy it as an adult.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just marathoned this thread in the last couple days after seeing so many other people do it (well I had a bit of a headstart since I'd followed it for a little while back when it started), and wow, some pretty interesting stuff I've missed in the meantime.

To add actual content though, I played a game a while ago called Redder (apologies for the lovely "free flash games" site, normally I'd link to Newgrounds but it's undergoing a redesign) that seems like it fits the whole "game starts to get creepy in subtle and disturbing ways" theme. It's a basic metroidvania style platform, except it's pure platforming with no combat. The goal is to collect a bunch of power crystals to refuel your ship - you can finish the game without collecting all of them, but I highly recommend going for 100%. You just use the arrow keys to move and "M" to get the map. The game mechanics themselves are pretty self-explanatory.

(Here's a direct link to the .swf file if you want to play it without all that distracting crap on the sides: http://www.gameshot.org/games/games/Redder0310.swf)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Dos posted:

This thread got me to reread Ted the Caver for the first time in nearly a decade.

I forgot how longwinded a lot of it is.

Also wow the Dionaea House! I forgot all about that one.

Also also, I remember seeing SCP-087 and thinking it would be a fun Half Life mod or something, just an infinitely looping staircase with a chance of something popping up.

If you scratch the infinite looping part, isn't this pretty much what Elevator: Source is about? Taking a relatively mundane experience (riding an elevator), and introducing the element of running into weird things on each room.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

Funny thing is, I have some old drawings I did from 1998-1999 of Pikablu based on these rumors. I don't recall how I got the design, but it must have been from some Japanese website (IIRC by then Gold/Silver was out in Japan) because it was almost an exact duplicate of Marrill, which was what came out of the Pikablu rumor. The only thing is, I don't remember why I drew it nor do I remember seeing a picture of Marrill, but I'm just chalking it up to "I was 8-9 years old and that was a long time ago to remember some insignificant poo poo". This post has started rambling, but the point is that the Pikablu rumors had a degree of credence to them, but all of the Pokegod stuff was definitely fake. I wanted to believe :(

I remember reading a lot of pokemon rumours in the red/blue days, and while they were all bullshit (except for Mew, who you could actually get through gameshark, even if the rumours themselves were still BS), a lot of them did end up being actual Pokemon in later versions, so I'm wondering where they all came from originally. Was there promotional material in Japan that featured planned pokemon that didn't make it into red/blue? I know someone earlier said that they designed about 200 of them for the first games even if they only actually coded up 151 of them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I have seen that "ghost" character bug in Deus Ex before, though I have no idea what causes it. What I think is happening, at least engine-wise, is that it's rendering the shaders for the character but not the textures, so you end up only seeing the lighting effects on the model without actually seeing the model itself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

ERMAC was "real" in the same way that Animalities were real. The developers took popular rumors and made them actual characters/features in later games (not sure if that's what you meant). I think the ERMAC rumor persists because it started back in MK1 and the actual character didn't manifest until UMK3. There was a full game in between for rumors to marinate. Animalities had a much quicker turnaround from rumor to in-game joke (rumored in later versions of MKII, showed up for real in MK3).

ERMAC itself was sort of real rather than just made up out of whole cloth - it wasn't an actual character, just something in the registers that implied that one exists. Like Missingno, it was just an error code that was there to show when something went wrong during bug testing (although unlike missingno you couldn't actually see it show up in normal gameplay - people only found it by viewing the arcade's debug info).

Animalities I'm pretty sure were just made up though. It was one of those things that people figured "Well MK is so crazy it HAS to be real", and I guess Midway agreed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it's because for a lot of gamers, Aeris was the first time they lost a character that was a major ally for most of the game.

General Leo got a bunch of similar rumors but I never quite understood it, he only joins you about 5 minutes before he dies.

Sephiroth being a playable character was just as persistent, even though like General Leo he's only in your party for a very brief part of the game (in a flashback).

I think people assume that since the character exists as a playable party member in the code, there MUST be a way to unlock them permanently, because why else would they have gone to all that trouble? (even though the "trouble" they've gone to probably took them all of 5 minutes).

I suppose it doesn't help matters much that plenty of RPG's DO have super hidden characters. If you didn't already know Cloud was a playable character in FFT, would you have believed it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

Doesn't all her crap get dumped off into your inventory? It's the materia system, all the characters are basically interchangable coat racks.

It does, but she's also got a bunch of really useful limit breaks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chinaman7000 posted:

The worst part of all the Final Fantasy poo poo is that I did or tried most of it. Lightning dodging, what the gently caress. Not like I couldn't beat the game without those items.

I actually beat the lightning dodging minigame by finding a spot on the map that had a really predictable pattern to the lightning flashes, and basically just waited there until I got the required number of dodges in a row (which was what, like 200 or something?)

I'm not sure why that spot was like that. Maybe it was put there on purpose?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thaske posted:

Poking through that TCRF page is really interesting. My favorite find so far is in Goldeneye:

http://tcrf.net/Goldeneye_007#ZX_Spectrum_emulator

There's also a link to a patch that makes it accessible. How easy is it to slip crazy stuff like this into code without other people noticing?

Fairly easy on a big enough project. Although a lot of companies are much stricter about it now than they used to be because of things like the infamous SimCopter easter egg.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

I wouldn't doubt that about the silkscreening. 12x and higher drives pretty much run right up to the point where the cd literally shakes itself apart.

This sounds like the issue people were having with Diablo 2 CDs a while back, where they'd just been so stressed over years of use that they were exploding in people's hard drives if the read speed on their drive was too fast.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funkmaster General posted:

There's an extremely interesting video game hoax and/or urban legend being born, live, right over in GBS.

Oh, so it's not actually a real game? I didn't actually follow that thread past the first couple pages so I don't know if this got more obvious later on. I just assumed he was doing a LP of a game like Alter Ego that Hirayuki mentioned above. I've heard that Alter Ego itself isn't really "scary", but it is pretty cruel to the player and a great game to play if you just want to feel really bad about yourself for reasons you can't identify. Kind of like if Pathologic was all text based.

Regarding "moments", if the screenshots are faked they're pretty well done (Although if you had a C64 lying around I suppose you could pretty easily just type a bunch of stuff into a text editor and take a picture of that).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's one of those situations where everyone screwed up and nobody walked away happy. Blizzard was within their rights to ban them because the EULA basically allows them to ban people at will for no reason (though obviously it's very poor customer service to do so), but yeah it does kind of seem like taking the easy way out rather than going to the trouble to reset the various achievements associated with the dungeon. I guess resetting the "World first" flags on the server might be difficult to do since they probably didn't ever think they'd need to.

The item itself is obviously not something meant to be used by players and certainly not to achieve world firsts in raid dungeons, so it's not really one of those things where people can say "Well we didn't know we were exploiting!" That might fly if you find some spot on the terrain where you can't get hit by a big AoE attack since depending on the graphical design it might actually look like an intended feature, but making the boss die instantly with no effort is clearly not.

It's basically "Blizzard screws up which leads a player to exploit which leads Blizzard to overreact". Yeah I don't know why everyone takes raiding so seriously either.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

They're not exactly an urban legend, more like cut content, but the Burrows from the first Fallout game amuse me with how wierd and out of place they would have been if they'd been included in the game.

Mutated, super intelligent, talking racoons. In Fallout. :stare:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Burrows

They look so goofy, it never fails to make me laugh - they look like rejected D&D monsters, it's probably for the best that they got cut.

I don't know. That seems to fit in pretty well with the general Fallout atmosphere. Well, maybe more Fallout 2 than Fallout 1.

I'm surprised there haven't been more urban legends about the Fallout games actually. Someone posted a story about it earlier but that was written for this thread I think? There's so much weird stuff in those games that you could describe pretty much anything as some weird thing you stumbled across as a random event and it would seem pretty plausible (well, until you get to the part about the blood soaked photorealistic skeletons of your family anyway), and they came out right around the golden age of internet rumours, where there was just enough internet available for people to tell crazy stories with no verification but not enough internet that you could easily just look it up and see that it was a hoax.

I guess part of it is that a lot of rumours are generated by kids, and Fallout is more of an adult series (and not so controversial as to make kids want to play it a-la Mortal Kombat, even if "Bloody mess" is pretty gory).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The guy behind those claims is kind of a troll too. He's always saying poo poo that doesn't make sense, or teasing at features that may or may not have been removed from the game.

It would be funny if they patched in a hidden function to the pendant with the upcoming Prepare to Die DLC/PC port and claimed it was there all along, and that nobody found it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

randombattle posted:

The number station thing is an interesting one because there are number stations and wierd broadcasts in random spots in fallout 3. Some of them lead to one off areas with something and some dont seem to lead anywhere.

I believe there also are number station lines from three dog in the sound folder though they aren't cryptic messages from the future just random numbers.

The number stations in Fallout 3 are weird because they're all just meant to lead you to hidden caches, but the signal becomes stronger as you approach the CACHE, rather than as you approach the tower broadcasting the signal (and you don't get the signal at all until you turn the tower on). For a while I had no idea what these were about and thought it was some really mysterious sidequest that involved decoding the morse code. After I looked it up the actual answer is somewhat disappointing.

I believe you can find translations of what the morse code is saying online too. They're all basically saying the same thing, which is just identifying themselves with the same letter code you get in your radio list when you turn them on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Related to that, about half the button combinations in Symphony of the Night for spells are never revealed in-game. You only get the command to show up in the spell screen after you've already performed it. So basically you probably aren't going to know those spells even exist unless someone else tells you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

I like the old-school DRM old games had, where you have to do things like write in a specific word in a manual, or press a certain key according to a big table on a card that came with the game.

If I recall correctly, a couple of games had parts of the game dialogue in the manual, and would tell you to read certain paragraphs throughout the game. Useless now that we can easily transmit manual scans, but at the time it was a great way to make the game unplayable if you didn't have a legitimate copy.

The gold box games had that, but it wasn't just an anti-piracy thing. There was so much writing in the games that they stuck half of it in the manual just to save memory.

Another clever trick they used was to insert a bunch of fake bits of dialogue into the manual that never show up in-game, to trip up people trying to cheat by reading all the text before the game actually told them to.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Having played Blood Bowl, I know that feeling very well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

100% Completion I did Final Fantasy X-2 in one sitting. I had to be very very careful to not accidently bump a button when somebody was talking or else you'd lose points.

The whole "Skipping dialoge loses you completion!" was annoying, but at least overall it was pretty trivial to 100% FFX-2 with New Game+, since each fork in the major "split" point in the game counts as its own separate completion count, so just doing one of them on one playthrough and the other on the next can get you quite a bit more than 100% even if you skip a bunch of other stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Valve has done that with TF2 updates. They put in red herring achievements and entries in weapon tables and such because they know people will rip the game apart every patch to uncover content that's still months away.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reive posted:

I loving knew it!
Ever since I was a kid I always had the idea that if everything in a video game is run by code, shouldn't it be possible that executing that code in a certain order would allow someone to write something new?
I remember the exact moment I thought that, when I was thinking about how it's possible for Missingno to exist, and how scripting can be broken in such magnificent ways, I always always wanted to be able to break a game in such a way that you could use the in-game code to literally create something from it, and he did it, he loving did it!

I am so happy right now :unsmith:

You're right in that this can technically be done with any program - one technique that some demoscene people use to save space is to write self-modifying code, which has the program deliberately write output to the memory where the execution instructions are stored, so that when the program loops around something different will happen. It takes VERY in depth knowledge of the system to do something like that, though. I wonder how long it took the guy to reverse engineer Pokemon Yellow to the point where he could identify exactly where he had to place the items in order to get it to start writing in execution area.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I live in Canada and was able to watch it no problem. Maybe check your browser settings to make sure you don't have that kind of content blocked? (I think it just uses flash, so it should be fine, but couldn't hurt to check)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

That episode was solidly researched. Kudos on them for reaching out, contacting community members, and quoting them instead of taking it as original research, and then taking all those sources, combining them, and also presenting everything in a nice, visual way that's clear to understand.

There's so many things that they could have done wrong there, but they took the extra effort to make sure everything was correct, everything was properly cited, URLs when available, etc. I didn't know about the Nintendo Hotline leak, but I have seen some other planning documents from Hylia Historia. Props to Nintendo too for keeping that paper trail around and archived.

I've watched a few other episodes and it seems like they always do their homework like that. It's nice to see someone really dig into some of those long-standing rumours to see if there's anything to them. More than I expected actually ended up being kind of true, though not usually in the way the original rumour describes them (you can catch Mew in the original Pokemon games without using a gameshark, but it's by exploiting a couple specific bugs rather than any super complicated method hidden by a designer).

The way the guy uncovered the way drops work in Legend of Zelda is crazy. I never would have even thought there was a pattern to it like that - I would have just assumed it was random and left it at that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The new Pop Fiction is out. I quite like that they don't even try to pretend this one's real and still take nine minutes to get to the bottom of the Tomb Raider nude code.

While they don't often make good investigations, I love things like this that are so transparently false. I mean really, did anyone believe this one?

Millions of horny teenagers around the world.

Or maybe they just wanted to believe.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that's one of the really neat aspects of Dark Souls. It has a ton of detail put into the setting but nothing is explicitly thrown in your face. All the story has to be worked out through random lore snippets you can find in item descriptions and environmental details, and that fact that there's enough hidden there that you CAN is really well done. It's the kind of game that's made for a thread like this and if it had come out 15 years ago it would probably have been just as big for schoolyard rumours as Pokemon or Zelda.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's mostly because that's how they were in Jason and the Argonauts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocketlex posted:

Over the course of writing the story, I made The Princess' personality and motivations a bit more complex. I actually kind of like the "incompatible with reality" theory, and I've seen several people come up with it.

See after reading the last update I was thinking that it was more of a "she makes them beat themselves to death" kind of thing - the idea that she's just a product of memetics rather than an actual entity suggests that she lives basically in the minds of the people who believe in her; so when she kills someone, it's like the idea dominates their thoughts to such an extent that they end up thrashing around in some kind of extremely violent seizure or something.

I'm not describing it very well; it's more interesting in my head.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some people did start working on real versions, but as far as I know they never ended up going anywhere (to be fair, the concept as presented in the mockup would be a lot of work to actually implement, since it's essentially an open world with a ton of detail in the systems a-la dwarf fortress).

heres one I found with a quick google search that has a playable version, although I'm posting on my phone right now so I haven't actually tried it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually you can melt the ice caps in civ 2. It happens if you overuse nuclear weapons. It basically just causes a bunch of terrain shifts to less desirable types.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

Did anything like this work on the PS2/PS1? There were some games on multiple discs like MGS.

Someone with a JP PS2 needs to see what happens if you boot to a Beatmania IIDX game and insert in a Beatmania Append Mix disc...

It could theoretically work so long as the relevant data was all able to fit in the system's RAM (which was pretty tiny), since it doesn't get cleared when the disc tray is opened. I don't know if anyone used it for anything other than disk-swapping games, but I know you could exploit it in FF7 by opening the disk tray in combat - it would freeze the battle but effects like regen would keep ticking, so you could fully heal by just wailing to close it again.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I was worried about that, but all the "Tetris effect" and similar experiences are interesting to read about because that's where urban legend can get started. Aren't there a few games that have played on the effect in a meta sort of way? Which Metal Gear title was it where if you played too long or late into the evening a character's face would flash like a skull as both a play on you maybe seeing things and 'hey, get some rest you nerd!'?

That was a plot thing in MGS2 as mentioned above, but the Dungeon Keeper games did something like that. They would say things like "It is the witching hour" and eventually "GO TO BED" based on your system clock. I think it also had special lines for certain holidays as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
L is real 2041 indeed