Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I've been considering getting into some sort of MA for a while. I work in the restaurant/bar world, and conflict rears its head at least once a month now thanks to all the mma-watching texas-style guidos running around.

I haven't hit anyone since I was 12 and I'm 27 now. I've always talked my way out of fights and avoided them well enough, but I've grown a bit tired of drunks calling me every name under the sun, sometimes for absolutely no reason at all (maybe they think im someone else? :ohdear:).

I never plan to jump into someone's face, but my tongue is sharp as gently caress and I'd love to be able to use it confidently.

The gist of it is someone will assume I'm a bus boy and wants to show off to their friends by picking on me. The crazy thing is its almost always someone smaller than me. At worst they're my size. I'll have a million sharp and insulting comebacks roaring through my head but I just bite my tongue and stay angry half the night. The management and longterm employees tell me I can tell them to gently caress off and use whatever kind of language I want, and if they swing first I'm free to do whatever.

With that said, I'm much more interested in defensive combat. Hell I'd love to never even swing at someone if I don't have to. Between breaking my own hand and breaking someone's face (which would cause legal trouble I'd imagine), I'd much rather just avoid it.

I live in a big town, what should I look for that involves quickly pins/submissions? I'm 6'0 170 athletic build. I've been in the gym for a while focusing on heavy lifts. Tonight I'm getting back into the running scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I'm making more than you're average college grad and I don't have too many marketable skills. Hell I was going to deliver pizza if I didn't get this. I'm going to school to eventually get out of this lifestyle, but its there for now.

It gets to the point of these drunk asses following me around, calling me little boy, and asking me for random stuff just to have their ego saturated.

If I told them to gently caress off I'm sure 98% of the time they would, but there's the chance they'd be drunk enough to swing. I'd much rather know what I was doing than transform into the windmill monster and risk both of us getting hurt worse than we need to.

I know America is sue happy, but I don't think drunks at a bar have a lot of leverage. I've seen bouncers knock people out even before punches were thrown. Hell a couple nights ago our manager wrestled a beer away from a guy because he was pouring it everywhere on purpose.

As a comment on the neithan video, if I'm reading it right the guy was 18 pounds heavier, which might throw off grappling by a good bit.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 9, 2012

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

McNerd posted:

Yeah when you say the management gave you permission to tell them to gently caress off, did you mean "gently caress off and leave" or "gently caress off and I'll get you another waiter"?

If the latter: what the other guy said. I wouldn't normally tell someone to just get a new job like it's the easiest thing in the world, especially in this economy. But if you have the free time and the disposable income for serious martial arts training then you could be doing something more productive to improve your situation,

If the former...what more do you need to say than "Leave"? These guys want to feel like a big shot because they have all the power and you have to take it and bring them their drinks. That's their dream, and they hate feeling powerless so badly they'll make dicks out of themselves in public to look powerful. If it turns out you are the one with the power in the situation, and you can just kick them out...what more do you even want? Talk is cheap, no glib remark you can make is going to cut them deeper than that. If the whole thing still leaves a sour taste in your mouth, then you're not going to get the taste out by humiliating or harming people further.

In any case, no martial art you study will make bar fights safe physically, legally, or socially. Especially not when your attacker has friends.

I've asked around, as this hasn't just happened once. A couple managers and employees say just drop whatever your doing around them, walk away, and refuse to talk them. If they continue, just tell them to stop talking to you or to leave you alone, etc. One manager and a couple other employees said say whatever you want and if they try to swing beat their rear end.

I'm making 30k-45k a year here, for the last 9 years I've never made more than 12k at a job. I'd literally get my rear end kicked at work if I needed to.

I didn't expect so much vehemence to my post, I guess I've been away from SA too long. It'd be one thing if I was asking about which MA I should start with so that I could shatter a guys skull with my elbow, but all I'm looking for is some direction into quickly ending a barfight with everyone receiving the lowest amount of physical harm.

Imagine this conversation:

Me: So I went over to table 43 to pick up their empty glasses and the guy with the hat called me a bitch human being, I don't know what the gently caress.

Manager: What a dick, what did you say to him?

Me: I just pretended it didn't happen and walked away.

Manager: Well thats ok I guess, kinda surprised you'd let such a little guy do that.

Me: Yeah, I'm used to letting things roll off. However now he's going out of his way to interrupt me at my tables, asking for things like change, water, crackers, just random stuff. I'm just refusing to help him.

Manager: Well he called you a bitch human being and you didn't do anything.

Me: Oh I've got a million things to say, but on the odd chance he does try to do something, I'm not sure if I'd get confused and punch myself, miss so hard I dislocate my shoulder, maybe hit him so hard I crack his skull and my entire hand, try to wrestle and get my eyes gouged or just get choked half to death. I mean, one time I considered actually learning how to handle the scenario, but everyone on the internet made fun of me and told me it'd be pointless. Just let a dick chase you around taunting you and if its too bad run to a manager who'll just silently laugh at you. Or give up on your dreams of going college and making something of yourself and go back to working crap jobs and barely making it month to month.

EDIT basically the way the most approved and apt conversation would go:

rear end in a top hat: Bitch human being
Me: Don't talk to me like that.
rear end in a top hat: Gonna stop me?
Me: Swing first. *walks away*

This is all it'd take to get left alone, however its 100 times more likely that I get into a fight compared to:

rear end in a top hat: Bitch human being
Me: Yup, anything else I can get you sir
rear end in a top hat: Yeah, break this 20 for me, thanks bitch
Me: Ok sir.

Then he follows me around for half my shift and half the people working there ask me why I haven't beat his rear end yet.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 9, 2012

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Yuns posted:

Black Cat I definitely do think you should take a martial art like BJJ or muay thai or boxing. I think it'll be great for you. I suspect you'll end up in a different place than where you started. You may want to defend yourself from mouth drunks and talk back to them but I guarantee you that after training in a martial art for a while you'll be stronger, more confident, more relaxed and less stressed. I suspect by that point you just won't care about their comments and you'll be less likely to fight. So seriously go out and train. If you are in Texas go train with Draculino if you are near his school.

In my first post I think I came across as way too anxious to insult people. Hell if people wouldn't follow me around the place I work as stated above I probably wouldn't care nearly as much. But it seems that, about once a month, I'm forced to run a 1-2% chance of getting in a fight.

And I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I wouldnt have to resort to bottle swinging or face biting if anything did happen.

McNerd posted:

I don't know what to say except reiterate the concluding paragraph of my last post. No martial art can make it safe or advisable to get into a bar fight. If we're talking multiple attackers, no martial art will even give you equal odds of a good outcome in general. And we're talking at least a year and probably more before you can reasonably be called "proficient."

Again, its nothing I ever want to happen. But applying this logic to another scenario, lets say that since car accidents end poorly for everyone, we all might as well drive motorcycles.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

See, all these MA goons just want to keep the true secrets to self defense for themselves, but I'm looking out for you and you won't even need to join a club to learn or practice it, either:

You walk/run away. That is ALWAYS the appropriate response. This isn't Roadhouse and you're not Patrick Swayze.

What is your job title? What do you do? Because what you're describing makes no sense for a FoH position. You get mistaken for a busboy? You make 30-45K a year? Your customer base includes loadmouth drunks, itching to get in a fight, but you don't have a bouncer and (especially) management doesn't even try to deal with them? These times really don't paint a clear picture.

And you're "hoped for scenario" is you looking for a fight, plan and simple. It wouldn't matter that he swung first, you asked him to. You'll both be equally at fault.

And yes, you do need to start learning an MA like judo or boxing or BJJ, anything that has full resistance sparring, because you need an outlet for this.

Listen to entris up there. Management and senior employees might be telling you that the store has your back, but when push comes to shove, you'll be tossed under the bus. Don't fight customers. Don't pick fights with customers.

Server/Barback/Bartender in training.

I give too much room for argument in my posts. I really should just have said, "I work in the service industry and drunks get violent sometimes. I'd absolutely love to know how to tackle and guard so I'm not scared shitless the first time I get swung at."

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
Here's a random, vague question with a little backstory.

I've spent a decent amount of time sparring with LARP'ing groups. I really get into the "sport" of it, and most of the nerdy stuff is tolerable when its just sparring. Luckily magic fire balls and enchanted weapons were nearly not existent, and there truly is an art to not getting ribbed by a pipe with an inch of foam attached to it.

Both groups I've sparred with had a pretty decent core of fighters that followed the same guidelines for their techniques. Since it was pretty casual, I did my own thing excelled pretty well very quickly. I learned from their style-base but I found them lacking and also it didn't fit with my own natural rhythm.

For instance, one group subscribed to a "stay in your box" mentality, from which I learned the many advantages of rotating ones hips to guard from outside strikes, instead of extending out to meet those strikes. However you could easily imagine how this mentality is completely antagonistic to many other techniques, especially anything regarding a more fencing based approach. The other group adhered to a "there's only X amount of strikes that exist" mentality. Whenever they'd train a new person this way, I'd find that person later and, in a somewhat undermining and assholish way, teach them some off-color techniques that excelled fairly well. For instance, while fighting as sword and board, if you detect a defensive enemy you can rush forward, raise shield to block their field of vision, and throw a low rap or low stab and they'll never even know you've went to swing. It doesn't take long to master rushing forward, raising shield, and lowering weapon into one solid movement. It does break down into a "basic shot" and I did learn a bit from their bare-bones way of thinking, but not taking into account everything else during a fight seemed a bit criminal to me.

I'll soon be looking for gyms and training programs. Is there any motivation to add my own mix to things and take what I may or is this kind of behavior severely frowned upon? I'm definitely not going to break any rules, but if I find that something I'm not instructed to do works better or if I find that I just don't feel natural or comfortable doing something instructed will I be "that guy" or is this ok? I can definitely see something with much more regiment to be expected to follow with as much precision as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Fontoyn posted:

I am always scared shitless before I fight and that's pretty much par for the course. Before sparring, too.

The trick is to find some stupid, childish way of turning what could otherwise be a shitfest into something fun and productive.

I stole someone's trick, where I sing the fresh prince of bel air through my mouthguard until I feel relaxed. Did it before, during and in the breaks between rounds in my fight and it calmed the hell out of my nerves, even when he was bouncing his hands off my skull.

Also, pump yourself up. poo poo like: "this motherfucker can't do poo poo to my butt" relaxes and psyches me up. I'm loving weird when I spar, but it calms me

What's your weight/height? Also being able to get hit that much is pretty impressive.

• Locked thread