Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

furry drum circle posted:

Don't forget to watch this week's http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak , today's game of the week is Final Fantasy 7, with guests Puwexil and GarlandtheGreat. It starts at 6pm central, or about 15 minutes from now.
Oh, you devil! These are some pretty great highlights from the featured FF7 run. :golfclap:

Edit: Incase people don't recognize the game from the name alone:

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This week appears to be featuring a grab-bag of classics (or is that "classics")
I feel like an idiot for having to check gamefaqs to make sure this was an actual NES game or not. :psyduck:

The "about" link on the game's (un)official site is an amusing read as well, complete with manual scans and everything.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Vakal posted:

Speedrunners are an interesting bunch.
On that note, PJ is streaming torch speed run attempts for Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts. Flicky and Feasel on skype with PJ in a call and is an amazing watch if not listen with their banter at the moment. Shame he's having a hard time with the early stage 3 fire bears.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
I'm glad to see Aquaria making it on this schedule (and coming up next, no less). I'm wondering with the donation condition for it being obtaining spirit form just how you can finish the game without it, but I suppose I'll see. I don't remember if any patch the game got made cutscenes skippable, but at least they aren't -too- long, and the game certainly would benefit from the exposure.
The best way I can describe the game is if Super Metroid and Ecco the Dolphin had a baby, just without Samus' suit weapons (well, mostly).

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Haha, ouch, Cosmo was almost 4 minutes ahead of a run at the 4.5 hour mark, only to lose the lead entirely by skipping some rupees in the cabana, and being 4 rupees short of the 3184 he needed to decode the triforce charts, not getting it on tingle's island from the 6 pieces of grass there, and having to actually just go back to outset island to make up the difference.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
The Sunday Sequence Break is currently being broadcast, featuring exclusive footage of interviews of Uranium Anchor during last Summer Games Done Quick!

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
I didn't see it linked on the past 3-4 pages, but cosmo made a highlight of his washing machine puppet ganon fight. http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/b/321925590

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Cosmo looks like he's started his practice for Commander Keen V for next AGDQ. Current route is get to the last stage in 2 minutes then who knows what. :stare:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
I'm not sure if Cosmowright has a new Wind Waker route or something, but 2 hours into his current run he's already 6 minutes (7 now after he just finished Tower of the Gods while I started this post) ahead of his old personal best. :psyduck: :stare:

Chat is saying he actually got a lucky warp from the cyclone fish or something I think.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Twitch really needs to get some script going that allows streamers to autoban any chat person who says "reset."
I think there's a twitch.tv feature that lets mods put certain words on censor, like how you can't say Peaches__'s name in the sunday sequence break channel from their april fools gag show. Regardless, yes, autoban would be nice. A lot of people could easily argue twitch chat is 100% useless at all times, but it is a bit disrespectful seeing people poo poo up Cosmowright's Wind Waker channel when the mods actually try to answer most questions about the game or route that's brought up.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Sunday Sequence Break about to start soon, game of the week for this episode is Battletoads

Current pre-show topic includes Flicky discussing things to do with an overabundance of Mountain Dew, such as "Poor man's Jaegerbombs", that doesn't have Jaeger in it at all.

Mid-show edit: Holy poo poo Duckfist gave a wonderful send off to possibly the last appearance of splinterface on stream to celebrate a new TMNT4 record, as Mike Uyama has a run he is satisfied with for submission and will move on to other games.

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 23, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
I haven't heard of the feature before, but it turns out Youtube has tools to fix videos it considers shaky. When PJ uploaded his Mohawk & Headphone Jack speedrun using warps, Youtube recommended it's "fix" for shaky videos like so.

The result... maybe fixed a bit too much :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6iogZ60l3k

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Apparently the MARIO (not really) MONEY MATCH OF THE MILLENIUM is going down on sig's channel, former record-taker Honey is racing Siglemic in 120 star mario 64.
http://www.justin.tv/siglemic/popout

Edit - about 11 stars and 12 minutes in they're almost a second apart after Bowser 1

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 30, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Cosmo's been experimenting hardcore with the superswim glitch, trying out theories of combining it with tingle balloons for some hoverslide maneuver.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
In other speedrun bloopers, Peaches__'s friend Iateyourpie with his Paper Mario attempts has had a heck of a time figuring out how to deal with random fullheal level ups and how they wreck strategies relying on having low health for damage boosts.

http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/b/332671481?t=6h34m
"I can't turn the star shield off!" "I don't have the star beam! I DO have the star beam! What am I thinking?!"

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Last night was extra amazing because for no discernable reason Pie climbed up from his previous max of 30-something viewers to 124 viewers at one point, and every one of them was there for those brainfart moments. For as much poo poo as I was giving him in the Skype call (I'm the one they keep calling Tyrone despite that not being anywhere close to my name), I've been having a great time joking around and occasionally commentating on his runs. Pie really is doing his best to both learn the game and be entertaining for his viewers, so if you are looking for something to watch and he's online, give him a try.
Yeah, I saw his run from that Bowser fight and on from speedrunslive, and ended up following after the chaos that ensued. The guy in the chat going on about that run giving him "super cancer" and the ribbing from like 3 or more people in the skype call was what made it so hilarious, probably more so than any execution mistake itself. There's several moments but I think my favorite is Peaches "I want you to acknowledge how many people just saw that.". Definitely one of the more entertaining ways to watch someone start their speed run career.
Edit: I was the one at the end going "He's gonna wonder what all these cancer patients are doing here" when he sent the viewers to another stream.

And I haven't seen the whole new route he has, but through some sorcery or sick superswims Cosmo is 10 minutes ahead of his 5:06:35 time after getting the hookshot.
http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 19, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Alteisen posted:

29:10, new PB, says sub 29 might be possible.
First thing I had flashbacks of when funkdoc considered sub 29 was Mike Uyama's 14:04 Sub-Terrania hard mode record that had several hysterical bloopers despite beating his old personal best of 14:07. Afterwards proceeding to blow that run out of the (stage 9) water and cut his record to 12:33. Despite all the hilarious and random deaths he's had in the game in it's history the first thing he says is "I think sub 12 is possible! Technically that was a bad stage 9!". :stare:

I'm also beginning to worry that Sub-Terrania is having a side effect on his sanity, he's starting to go into laughing fits on each of his personal bests. :ohdear:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

Come and watch a guy put out fires with his axe while failing to open doors when commanded.
https://www.twitch.tv/omnigamer

Omni's playing through the SNES Timecop at the moment, which is like a SNES version of Batman Forever. Apparently the game had a decade long headstart on the "ghost ride the whip" fad, among... uh, other things.

Also, this should help catch anyone up to the game's plot if you happened to miss the movie:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

If this doesn't headline Awful Games Done Quick 2014 I'm gonna kill someone.
Competition for that block is going to be fierce as hell this year. This game would have it's own merits for making it on the list with the one caveat being that someone has to actually play the game first, let alone try to speed run it. Good bonus material, and I'm sure Mike doesn't want to have to issue motion sickness warnings for the street on 3-1 as well. It would definitely be bonus stream material however.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

Funkdoc got his CV3 Sypha run, 28:55!!
And he just had to get it after I leave for work. The run will probably have highlights of it played in the record segment for the Sunday Sequence Break stream tomorrow.
Here's a direct link to where the run starts:
http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc/b/333078841?t=2h47m08s
If you're curious what all is different for the route with Sypha, he starts using her here:
http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc/b/333078841?t=3h03m48s
It's a neat watch since it's a healthy portion of abusing the ice spell's freeze working like the same beam in Metroid. Combined with upward recoil from taking damage boosts, allows skipping a good number of stairs and climbing.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

more alarming is that Tompa set a record on Zelda: Wand of Gamelon for CD-i. :stare:
And the highlight clip he sent in for the run is just cutscenes, when speedruns always skip them. I think that's his motivation for getting that time.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Sunday Sequence Break starting once again, today's focus seems to be another records-focused show. If you haven't seen the current speedruns for NES Boy and his Blob and Octodad, it's just as good a time as any to start.
Here's the link database for video links to the runs that get covered on the show: http://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/TSSB

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Violen posted:

I lost it at 'gently caress water'.

I didn't think I'd live to see the day I'd watch a promo video for a TAS, or that it would get me so excited for the final product. :allears: God bless technology.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

CVagts posted:

Speaking of reading out the story, we seriously need the story for Timecop during the marathon, but I would settle for the Game Over screen, if that's not already being planned as a donation incentive.
Timecop's donation incentive could be handled in the opposite direction from most. At the start of Timecop, set a donation goal (or rather, ransom) that if not met by the end of Omnigamer's estimated 30 minute run, the game over screen plays on stream for however long the next setup period is. Of course several people here would love that, it certainly can't be that tolerable for many other viewers, can it?

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Dizz posted:

In about 3 months, Funkdoc will be adamantly trying to hit sub 18. Is there some sort of medical name for this kind of thing funkdoc and siglemic have?
Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure Mike Uyama suffers from it too. Without fail, every time he gets a new personal best on Sub-Terrania, the first words out of his mouth, after the insane laughter subsides, is "I think sub-[minutes digit of new best time] is possible."

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

Dessyreqt somehow got himself stuck in the sand pit wall in Maridia, which brought his 100% run to an end. :psyduck:
Yeah, that's terribly unfortunate, and it happened right went I went to tab on it after the run was mentioned.

It solidified something Romscout mentioned when someone brought it up: the single most often uttered phrase during any marathon is always "This has never happened before!". Someone mentioned it should be an alternate highlight reel for AGDQ, then Romscout quickly corrected them that the highlight reel would just be the entire marathon again.

It's going to be hard for Zelda games to beat this near-disaster Cosmo encountered on one of his bingo games, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG7w3TeNRFk

Edit: and while typing that, dessyreqt's had a couple bad luck strokes from the red brinstar flower room leaving him at 1 energy before he could re-farm some health, and for some reason having to fight Kraid after he gets fully out of the ground which rarely happens.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Of course Exciting Mode™ goes exactly as planned, meaning nothing went as planned at all. Tragic loop 2 surprise weapon switch to scythe replacing tri-blade from a chest that normally has armor. Stage 5 boss destroying gold armor shield while it's still in it's death explosion, even after PJ activates the invincibility glitch for the rest of the stage. Imp in stage 3 getting so mad at plan bee it destroys the bronze armor, among several other things. Also forgot the stage 7 2nd boss suddenly having an instant damaging hitbox it never has.
Archive of the run:
http://www.twitch.tv/romscout/b/337278085

Edit: If you've been too rapt watching romscout's spooktacular or otherwise missed it, today's installment of the Sunday Sequence Break stream covered a couple unreleased in America NES games: Bio-Force Ape with Garrison, and SRKFunkDoc covering Holy Diver (Or "*** Diver" as it's been referred to in stream thanks to the channel's custom censor that's too funny to change).
http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak/b/337262295

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 29, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Nice, the first game of Bonus Stream time is Paper Mario by iateyourpie!
If the prospect of a 4 hour rpg run seems daunting to sit through, Sn64 and pie's regular viewers are keeping it interesting with all manners of gifs based on apparent in-jokes from his stream, and lack of context certainly doesn't hurt them.

"Now if this badge shop doesn't have the Speedy Spin badge, it'll cost me 2 minutes regenerating the shop list-"

http://imgur.com/a/98V3k
~~(_°<°_)~~
~~(_°っ°_)~~
~~(_°⊃°_)~~

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 5, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

I haven't actually watched a Paper Mario run before; does this game have any major or semi-major skips?
To add to what Sn64 mentioned, the game overall has qualities that make it a good speedrun candidate. RPGs are notorious for being very luck-based with random encounters causing you to take longer through certain areas, whereas Paper Mario you can not only see encounters but open fights with guaranteed surprise attacks where you couldn't otherwise. Most of the run also uses a badge that gives you a huge power boost that requires you to be at 1hp to activate, so there's a lot more emphasis on reacting to enemy attacks to avoid damage whereas other rpgs you just take hits and can't do anything about it. It goes a long way with the game's action command system to allow for a pretty high skill ceiling for a genre where most of the time your strategy will be "mash attack and hope it works".
Also, it says a lot for the game and iateyourpie that he's gotten so good at it in basically a month or two maybe of practicing the game with the SDA N64 crew.
It's certainly a lot better than his humble beginnings having to adapt to not being able to automatically abuse the Power Rush badge against Bowser.
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/b/332671481?t=6h32m
(if link doesn't have sound, the segment starts here at 6h32m into the video)
http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=332671481

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

SUPERMAN 64 TIME BOY HOWDY
Ok, I don't think I remember any video option in any console game that lets you shrink the screen resolution, especially not to this extent. I can understand it's to make the game run smoother but holy toledo. :psyduck:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

evilalien posted:

I can't believe 3300 people are watching low % Quest 64 and Superman 64.
I dunno, we've been through Chinese Link to the Past and the Harvest Moon race, so we know there could be worse people would watch, though the Harvest Moon race was pretty funny.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

evilalien posted:

I'm happy to see Typing of the Dead again as I was asleep when it happened during the main marathon. Was the entire chat trying to play along during the marathon run as well?
You have NO idea :suspense:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

furry drum circle posted:

What a fun weekend :)
That's a hell of a lot of work to keep this thing going for the 12 hours you've been running it, along with the spontaneous one-hand Mario 64 and Blast Corps and whatever else to fill in gaps for this thing. The entire bonus stream so far has been a hell of a hoot to stay up and watch, but I think you might have set a bar for stream quality a bit too high for anyone else to match.

Also, I hope there's nothing twitch could try to sue for if their chat servers end up melting into molten goop from 4000 people playing another 30minute run of Typing of the Dead.

Edit: Keeping Sluip's challenge of small mario honest by rigging his reserve item box is a pretty good safety measure

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 5, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Oh great they're stopping right after I link them, blah.
And if that's too high quality for your tastes, dram55 is playing chinese Super Mario World.

usedpizza posted:

We're having a 20 person race in this, of all things. I got 7th so now I'm just watching dram die on the great(?) castle 3.
Yeah, disappointed I didn't hear of it earlier. My favorite might be the mini-castles that only have the processing power to have 3 reznors at the end, assuming the game engine is actually capable of showing them all.

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 8, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Competition for the Mega Man 10 world record is heating up between Duckfist and Usedpizza. Usedpizza finished a 35:26.35 run today that gained 10 seconds in the Wily 4 stage to put it within less than a second of Duckfist's 35:26.18 (or 35:25 depending on timing) run that overcomes a 10 second deficit it had going into the first Wily stage to become the current record. It's pretty difficult to get the times much lower, but should make for an interesting watch over the next few days if they get into it.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Holy crap, I'm going to have to dig through the archive for the exact time (edit: should be here), but iateyourpie lost a Paper Mario run in the best way. Skype chat and stream somehow distracted him long enough while he was using his 1hp strats, accidentally first attacks a pyro guy, and took 1 damage since he didn't have a badge to keep him safe from hitting it, after he skipped getting a life shroom earlier to save some time.

RIP Paper Mario run ~~(_°<°_)~~

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 10, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Everdraed posted:

Haha, I totally made that gif after I watched pie get wrecked by Bowser in one of his runs.
Yes, both of the goonie gifs are so amazing, I crack up each time they pop up in chat. The shop one got a ton of use from the smwmarathon bonus stream run when he had to refresh the shop list almost a dozen times for dodge master.

Everdraed posted:

Pie's reactions are pretty great, hearing a skype full of people giving him poo poo while he plows through Paper Mario for four hours and then ends up getting screwed partway through in some random way always makes me laugh.
That's what made tonight's blooper so great. He manned up in the smwmarathon run demonstrating the discipline he's learned from speedrunning the game over the past couple months. Then forgets all about it tonight and dies from momentarily forgetting about enemies that can kill him if he gets a first attack on them. The best part is no less than a minute before that he jokingly refutes reacting too much. "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! I don't overreact!"
Like Sn64 mentioned several pages back, the stream overall is definitely way more entertaining than you would expect a 4 hour rpg stream to be.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
PJdicesare is streaming more Battletoads + Double Dragon NES with mecha_richter. If you thought the original Battletoads was pretty broken, this game steps up to the challenge of surpassing it. The BT+DD run for AGDQ2013 is probably my most anticipated run for the marathon.

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 11, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

E: After a break he's gonna do Eltale Monsters (JP Quest 64) any%... which technically there isn't a record for yet?
Keep in mind each minute you do not have the stream open, you are missing out on the best streamcam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

Sheriff Peaches. :clint:
And now that he's done with Doom 64, it's time for "1001 Hot Games" :suspense:

• Locked thread