Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The Kuuenbu meltdown on GBSFM was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

EllisD posted:

Word filters were a thing of beauty. FYAD was full of grandmas

Doesn't my girlfriend still filter to bold and sirens?

edit: nope.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I still remember being scared shitless of being banned, even though registration was free back then. It just was a lot weirder. I think I actually lurked for close to a year before finally registering. Also, all those photoshop threads like Stareguy or that fat man whose name I can no longer recall.. It was really fun back then, but I'm glad the forums have moved away from that. Doing that for 10 years just wouldn't have been fun..

Also, I had forgotten all about Pele... drat!

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

I miss GameQuoter and Adaptive Systems :(

also; I just wanted to bbe a moderator

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I remember back when post counts were something that people got really elitist over, then it was free accounts vs paid accounts, then it was reg-date once a lot of us free account holders drifted away. While part of me misses how insane the forums could be at times (see: The Situation), but I think the current forum atmosphere is better than it ever has been.

The few times that I've drifted into FYAD, it reminds me a little bit of how the forums used to be, only ... evolved? I dunno how to describe it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to get that feeling.

The forums, especially in the early days, have always been aggressively new and I think that's what attracted me to them. The forums generated catchphrases in the morning, beat them to death in the afternoon, and banned you for using them in the evening, especially back in the early days.

I registered here as a freshman in college and now I've graduated, worked a bunch of jobs, and moved into management. I had a brief flirtation with Libertarianism as a result of this forum (gotten much saner since then, thanks).

It's been very interesting to see how this forum has grown and evolved in it's style since it first started. I remember Forum Newbie's "Buy The Server" thread back when SA really needed new hardware and seeing how that tradition has continued and grown with the donation thread that's currently stickied is just plain wonderful.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Wuntvor posted:

Also, all those photoshop threads like Stareguy or that fat man whose name I can no longer recall..

Hahahaha poo poo, he was one of my friends and never really forgave me for posting that pic, and all the photoshops that happened afterwards.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh hello there, DPPH.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I am still waiting for Mr. Water to post. :smith:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Anyone else remember the hidden sub-forum of the guy who pretty much destroyed his house when trying to share construction tips? I vaguely recall it now since it's been a while; but I think the poster was trying to show how he fixed a hole in the wall and it just looked like someone poured 10 pounds of cake frosting in a big glob on the wall. Of course, it could've been different as my memory of it isn't the greatest.

HlTLER
Dec 18, 2011

by T. Fine
Penis Size: HUGE

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Does anyone remember that flamethrower thread? That's what got me to join after lurking a while.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nomenklatura posted:

Reddit's been pretty ruthlessly promoted, but it sure as poo poo has its own creepy elements too. They just got rid of that jailbait stuff.

But when I talk about how members of other forums and whatnot think of goons as humorless spergs? That "bullshit spreading around the rest of the internet" thing is exactly what I'm talking about. Being against lovely image macros is one thing, but I get really tired of gently caress YOUR MACROS GET THEM OUT OF HERE THIS IS A MATURE FORUMMMMM!!!.

The thing about the old days is that the juvenile stuff was funny. Sometimes it was loving hysterical. I can't help but think that for all that he's revered these days, any new Gamequoter would get banned so quickly it'd make your head hurt watching it happen.

There really aren't many gimmick accounts any more. All that I know of is Man in Black's paranormal busting stories and Personman in Let's Play. Maybe Supermechagodzilla counts as well, although he just posts strange interpretations of unpopular media on occassion while being a normal poster the rest of the time.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I remember when fyad used to be funny.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
It has been interesting to see how changes to the subforums drastically changed the content of the main forums, for better and worse. The same could also be said of who is moderating at the time. It has ranged from free for all to concentration camp at times in some of the forums.

All of those things together have made it the best forum though. It's a one stop shop for news, hobbies, and shopping. How I perceive the world would drastically change if it suddenly went away.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
I am trying to recollect and it is all a big blur of funny poo poo. All my goons out there strugglin - hold ya head haha

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME
Just remembered my favorite text filtering anecdote: At one point the use of the word "goon" in thread titles became really pervasive, as often as not with an adjective or descriptive word followed by "goon", then a colon, i.e., "Alabama goons: Let's burn some crosses!" Lowtax finally got fed up with it and instituted a word filter that replaced "goon" with "child molester". I'm not aware that he announced it anywhere, and people are loving dumb, so before you knew it people were using the term "child molester" just as they'd used "goon", often not even knowing the filter existed. Lowtax eventually felt compelled to post a thread telling us what was happening.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Psalmanazar posted:

There really aren't many gimmick accounts any more. All that I know of is Man in Black's paranormal busting stories and Personman in Let's Play. Maybe Supermechagodzilla counts as well, although he just posts strange interpretations of unpopular media on occassion while being a normal poster the rest of the time.

Most recent gimmick I recall was TobleroneTriangular during the 08 election.

Smellsmeller
Feb 18, 2011
It's really interesting to see how different the quality of posts are from then compared to now. I guess without the rules though it would drop back down very quickly.

I never knew old, old SA. I found this place back in '06. I'm not sure how long after that the word filter was added for lurkers (you know, gently caress/gently caress, poo poo/poo poo, etc.) but I got used to it from reading it so much that I can't even see the words gently and caress consecutively without automatically considering it slang for gently caress. I don't even know if that's still there, but I probably wouldn't even notice if it suddenly appeared for registered users one day.

Thanks, SA.

EDIT: Forgot my favorite one. rear end in a top hat/rear end in a top hat.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
SA up until 05 or so was a lot like Mos Eisley. The presence of DPPH/NMP3s/HITW/TCC email lists, you don't know what you've got til its gone, paved paradise... :smith:

By today's law anyone who posted on SA back then is a criminal on about five thousand counts

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Fragrag posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=gamequoter

It's really simple to find the profile of a poster if you know his name. Go to any profile and you'll see this as the url:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=48451

Just replace the 'userid' at with 'username' and replace the number with the username.

Thanks. I didn't know you could just interchange the two.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Previa_fun posted:

I am still waiting for Mr. Water to post. :smith:

I'm still optimistic that someday our prince will come. :unsmith:

Evaluation Unit
Apr 7, 2004
I SURE HOPE THIS GRUESOME TERRORIST ATTACK DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH COMIC-CON

Zombie Samurai posted:

Who was the guy who had a whole subforum just to himself? He could only post there, but others could stop by to torment him. Oswald?

I, too, remember this poster, but for the life of me cannot remember his name. All of his posts were invisible to everyone, weren't they? So he could technically post anywhere but no one could see them, except in that one subforum.

drat, this is one of those moments where you would say, "it's right on the tip of my tongue."

I kind of miss when a lot of the (now) subforums were mashed into GBS. I could always refresh GBS and find something new and awesome/funny/pathetic. Now it seems like only the same 50 threads stay in GBS' front page for up to months at a time. So much more effortless to just refresh GBS than go into individual subforums. I liked having my e/n mixed with my GBS.

Edit: Also recalling the hilarity of WORST ADMIN EVER.

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

I think i was actually a '99. Man those file forums were nuts. People making elaborate programs to download pieces of files from MSNBC's? hosting site...NMP3s and their crazy strict quality rules...DPPH......

When my angelfire account died several years ago, i lost all my sig army jpgs :(

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pipian posted:

I'm still optimistic that someday our prince will come. :unsmith:

Mr Water was the single best thread ever.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Porthbot posted:

also; I just wanted to bbe a moderator

I had to wait for weeks before I could register because of that fucker.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Griz posted:

I had to wait for weeks before I could register because of that fucker.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that. drat mind is already going.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Since no one else seems to have answered the OP on this, anotherone is still here on the forums and that page was more or less the precursor to the SAclopedia. :eng101:

Tuff Ghost posted:

Game Quoter was the best gimmick.

You misspelled "Adventures of Jesus."

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

So, those of you who were around back then, how has SA changed? Is it the same? Better? Worse? If you feel that the overall quality has changed(for better or for worse), what do you think is responsible for making it different?

If you could get rid of something that is around now that wasn't around then, what would it be? Conversely, if you could bring back something that is gone, what would it be?

I miss when goons didn't largely hate and try to prove they were less goony than one another in a vicious cycle of pot-and-kettle-blackness. Gooncon '04 was some good times.

Supreme Allah posted:

I remember someone apparently hosed with Debt. We haven't had attacks like that in a while.

I miss when we had forum nemeses like him, British Bulldog, and King Reol.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

rezatahs posted:

I remember when fyad used to be funny.

I still don't get FYAD.

Came for the Photoshop Phriday threads, stayed for :btroll: thread

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I still remember the first time I saw Trashbear, and hobo ninja, and patrick duffy's head.

Oh god I've been here... so.. long...

:negative:

What ever happened to Jaded Mensa Op anyway? that was a an awesome gimmick.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I still don't get FYAD.

Came for the Photoshop Phriday threads, stayed for :btroll: thread

:btroll: thread was really, really out there.

Fyad is Fyad. If you try to explain Fyad, you're probably going to fail at it because there's just not words for it.

HlTLER
Dec 18, 2011

by T. Fine

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Mr Water was the single best thread ever.

What about the one where some guy asks for relationship advice, then the entire forum just replies with a vomiting fat goon? then someone tried to give some real advice and they got banned

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:btroll: thread was really, really out there.

Fyad is Fyad. If you try to explain Fyad, you're probably going to fail at it because there's just not words for it.

I feel like back in the day, FYAD was "man, you can't explain FYAD. If you don't get it, you just don't get it."

But I think the closest thing these days is 4chan, so it's a little bit easier to explain.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wasn't there some night when Fyad took over every forum? I remember it was a night when the forums were going down for some huge upgrade.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Boogaley Moo posted:

I miss taco the wonder dog

http://www.youtube.com/user/allofthetrash

That's him.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cactrot posted:

Wasn't there some night when Fyad took over every forum? I remember it was a night when the forums were going down for some huge upgrade.

That reminded me of another popular thing, someone posting as fast as humanly possible "So what did you do while the forums were down?". The forums were down a lot, but sometimes it was only for all of 3 minutes. It was some e-penis thing to be the first one to make the thread with that topic.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Aw precious memories.

The best gimmick account was superhero icq logs.

Also Worst Admin Ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I also remember when Katrina knocked the forums out completely for days. Those were dark times, indeed.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hmm, I joined hardForums (mostly for genMay, long before they split off to do their own scarily horrid thing) in 2001 - it had much the same feeling I get from the descriptions of SA/GBS in the same period - unpredictable, wild, with huge swings in quality and odd gimmicks. They also had a good, informative 9/11 thread, including a poster with a webcam in a building looking the right way; probably the first time I got better news info from the 'net than traditional media.
edit: The postcount++ sounds immensely familiar, too.

I didn't even consider joining SA until years later; you had a slightly scary reputation...
(I finally joined for the LP forum; GBS has been a pleasant bonus.)

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

stuff that isn't about his avatar

Where is your avatar from? I have to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

HondaRider271 posted:

This isn't that long ago, but regdate uh griefing/hazing used to be really common. I'm kind of glad it's gone, but

:regd04: :regd05: :regd06: :regd07: and finally :regd08:

I remember getting hazed for being an '04 despite registering after the files forums were removed. Also, your list of year-based emoticons is incomplete (even though there wasn't much hazing past '08), there's :regd09:, :regd10:, and :regd11:.

I also remember end boss month and BYOB and when ADTRW was terrible and "Why you throw chip" and the invasions and fauxtests and the story of the creation of swap.avi as it was happening (although I didn't have an account back then) and Awful Fantasy III (recently let's played) and TAOC and the winamp plugin with Lowtax's head (Angrylowtax?) and the constant creation of memes.

SA was very different in late '01 through mid '04 (I'm not familiar with early '01, etc.), and has been constantly evolving ever since.