Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Allan Assiduity posted:

Sharla is easily my least favourite part of the game, since her armour is terribly designed and obviously male-pandering.
Yeah, it's pretty lame that Sharla's armor is unavoidably boobular. Why would you sexy up the Big Sister / Mother Hen character anyway?

The character you mentioned in the spoiler though... it's a mixed bag. Their Power set is pretty cool, looks like something you put on to wreck dudes. But the Speed set, especially the body armor, is kinda embarrassing.

But that Haste V gem is so good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Blind Sally posted:

True. I never understood why Xord got a name but Metal Face didn't.
Honestly, I think Mumkhar would be just the kind of person who would throw away their own name just to gain more power. They weren't exactly the most stable of people to begin with.

The bit about him being called Black Face instead of Metal Face in the original is kinda interesting though, I never knew that. Makes me wonder why they didn't translate it as Onyx Face or Obsidian Face or some other black metal/mineral

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

KoB posted:

Why cant Shulk damage the Inquisitors :(
Think about the Monado's properties and behavior for a bit.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Holy poo poo, some of the item descriptions in this game are pretty amazing. The description for Red Wing literally says, "With this wing I thee red" :laugh:
The best item description is hands down the one for the Perforated Oar. It basically says, "A ruined oar that's completely useless. But wait! If you look through the-- oh, never mind."

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

YggiDee posted:

Do quickstep gems only benefit the wearer? I like having Riki in the lead but I need all his gem slots for killing power, can I put them on Shulk or something?
Sorry dude, the party leader has to be wearing the quickstep gems in order for you to actually move quicker on the overworld. You could switch characters when you want the speed boost, but that doesn't seem very practical, especially in areas with loads of monsters.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

KUBaNPhillipay posted:

Goddamn it! Can somebody tell me how the gently caress I am supposed to beat Disciple Lorithia. I've been going at this for 4 hours now. Even after grinding to level 76 I still can't touch her and I don't know if I have it in me to grind any more levels. This is the only boss that has even remotely given me trouble but she kills me so fast and I can barely even put a dent in her... I have level IV gems and some decent gear and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My party is Shulk, Dunban and Melia.
In addition to what folks have said about Melia and Riki, I think this boss also causes Confusion effects with their attacks, which can cause your party to blunder into the acid pits.

Cook up some Confuse Resist or Debuff Resist gems as insurance. If you can Mega Heat them, the <Status> Resist gems go to 100%. And yes, 100% Debuff Resist gems are sick as hell. They're your tourist visa into Flavor Country.

Edit: Oh, also, I seem to remember that the summons that boss calls in will do self-destruct attacks for hefty damage if you leave them with low health for too long. Focused Ether attacks should grind them into powder before that happens, though. Especially with Melia's Summon Lightning railgun.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 4, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Chaltab posted:

Huh, so according to a wiki, Melia is 88 years old.

Um, what?
High Entia are basically Xenoblade's elves. Long lifespan, able to use magic naturally, advanced civilization, and casually racist.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

Just beat the game. drat, the ending is awesome. Totally didn't expect that the universe is a computer simulation/matrix type thing. Would it be correct to say that Alvis is the real God? He seems to be truly omnipotent, just without any innate desire or will of his own. He's basically the computer of the device Klaus used to create the world, right?
Yes, and yes. The guy who originally did the Xeno series had a thing for Gnosticism, and the setup in Xenoblade is similar (some would argue outright copied).

Spoilers for ending / Gnosticism Cliff Notes:
Two key concepts in Gnosticism are the Monad and the Demiurge. The Monad or The Absolute is the true God, the source of all things. This is what Alvis means when he declares "I am Monado. I was here at the beginning." In the Xenoblade universe, Alvis is The Absolute.

The physical world is basically a layer of bullshit that obscures the nature of the Monad. The physical world is ruled by the Demiurge, the false God, described thusly: "And he is impious in his arrogance which is in him. For he said, "I am God and there is no other God beside me," for he is ignorant of his strength, the place from which he had come." Sound familiar?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've got a couple questions that the main story was a bit unclear on:

Were the other seven colonies on the left limbs of the Bionis?

How long have the Mechon been attacking the colonies? Something I'm confused about - the Monado is the only thing that can damage them, but it wasn't recovered until 14 years ago. So did the Mechon only start fighting after that point? If they were fighting the Homs earlier, why weren't the Homs overrun?

The last major battle was 1 year ago, what was the war situation like between the recovery of the Monado and the 1-year-ago battle?
Mechon can be hurt by Homs weaponry, it just takes a lot of effort. You see this in opening cutscene, where a Mechon gets knocked down and a bunch of Homs troopers dogpile it and blow it up (ie, they had to Topple it first, so it actually reflects in-game mechanics as wel). Also, Ether hurts them just fine, which is what the rifles and mobile artillery are for.

The Monado is special because it's man portable, doesn't need ether fuel cells, and can carve up swathes of Mechon right out of the gate. Also, based on the opening, Dunban could use the Monado aura that lets people near him easily hurt Mechon as well, so it's a force multiplier as well.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Mazed posted:

On a completely unrelated, more comfortable note: Machina children are the most adorable things ever.
:3: HOVER BABIES!!! :3:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Last Celebration posted:

That NPC says right after that he was just bullshitting you.
Nopon sneaky

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Ballz posted:

Finally said "gently caress the quests I'm beating this thing" tonight. Man, what a great ending. On the one hand I'd love to see a sequel or something else that takes place in the Xenoblade universe, but on the other, Shulk's recreation of the world as a peaceful utopia kind of minimizes the possibilities of conflict. But man, all the characters really grew on me, I hate to see them go. Melia especially. Poor, friendzoning, third wheel Melia. You needed better closure. :smith:
Well, remember that at the very end, Alvis mentions that the new universe is vast, and there are hints that there are other civilizations out there. Shulk even tells Fiora that he wants to meet those people out there. To me, that implies that the new universe is a 'proper' universe, with planets and galaxies and such.That's an incredible hook, and I think all the races have enough tech and ingenuity between them to make good on it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Calaveron posted:

Bonus points if (endgame spoilers marked because I'm not a jerk) it's the Nopon that first figure out space travel.
After thinking about it a little, the idea of Xenoblade 2 being about the beginnings of space exploration would fit pretty well with the feel of the first game. To me, Xenoblade was very much about discovery. Both in terms of exploring the game world, and how the characters uncover the secret workings of their universe. Just that feeling of realizing that there's so much more out there, waiting to be discovered, and space exploration would be a great way of capturing that.

Edit: And maybe Melia can find love among the stars. :unsmith:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

NTT posted:

Well there's the big one, the level 120 on the Mountain, but yeah there should be something else.
There's another one in the same zone, near the Great Glacier called Blizzard Belzagas. Although it's level 114, I felt it was a tougher fight than the lvl 120 monster. I mean, that thing has a really nasty spike effect, but that can be neutralized with gems. Belzagas was way more intense, since slipping up once could cost you the fight.

Are you even supposed to survive that multi-hit attack he starts busting out when he's at critical health? drat thing does 7000 damage per hit to everyone in the area. I managed to beat him by keeping him Toppled/Dazed with constant chain attacks, but one slip up and it would have been over.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

axeil posted:

I did kill it now! Felt so good. Then the mechonis attacked and Fiora died :smith: Didn't see that coming. I'm a bit annoyed at the story because I feel like they killed her off way too early. I didn't have any sort of attachment to her other than "oh it's the love interest okay." Or were they killing her off early on purpose to say: "forget your stupid JRPG romances you have mechonis to kill!" :black101:
Regarding your recent success and the spoilered event:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Renoistic posted:

* Ending, side quest, and H2H spoilers Well it's not all bad! At least her half-sister who hates her is still alive, and there's a very slight possibility her mother is alive as well. Nah, just kidding, it's still pretty :smith:
Speaking of that horrid relative, did anyone else laugh their goddamn rear end off when she flew away with her headwings at the end of that sidequest? It didn't help that she was so serious when she did it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You get Shulk's prophecies even if he's not "in the party". I guess we're just supposed to realize that the people who aren't in combat are still with us, just having a smoke or something instead of loving helping.
They sell tickets and operate the concessions stand.

"Reyn, I'm having a vision!"
"That's the popcorn timer, you daft git."

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Strange Matter posted:

The way the story wraps up actually leaves me extremely hopeful for the sequel, because it could go basically anywhere.
Seriously. I would love to play a follow up game where the people of Bionis are taking the first steps in space exploration. Assuming that Alvis got creative when they remade the universe when Shulk asked him.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

MentholsNBeer posted:

So I hope they do the right thing in X and have cameos by all the old gears (and characters) from Xenogears with WiiU graphics. Oh man!
I spotted a few mechs in the trailer that kinda looked like Weltall. The hangar reminded me a little of the Yggdrasil's hangar, too.

Argh, I just want even a sliver more info about X. I've seen basically no details about it aside from those two videos and vague press statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

vaguely posted:

Why so discriminate against Reyn :(

Ugh, don't get me started on her armour options, I had her horribly undergeared for so long because everything I found was a TnA-splosion. She's a robot, she doesn't even have real tits (edit: any more), stop making her cleavagemonster!

I was a little conflicted when I got the Speed V torso. On one hand, Haste IV gem! On the other hand, the aesthetic design is uh, 'special'. Most of the Speed V chassis is stripperific, come to think of it.

• Locked thread