Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humanist
Jun 25, 2012
I'm an on-again, off-again EVE Online player with probably less than a year of active in-game time on my 6 year old character. I've read plenty of posts over the years about Goons and Goonswarm, and they always seemed to be pretty negative.

When I resubscribed to EVE a couple of months ago, I joined a newbie-friendly corp and found myself really enjoying the game for the first time; so much so that my interest has lasted (and continues to) a few months. I started reading up on the various wars, alliances, and other player-generated NEWS (which IMO sets EVE apart from other MMOs), and began to pick up on the whole propoganda-metagame that people play in EVE.

I came across The Mittani's series of articles on TenTonHammer, and found them very interesting, informative, sensible, etc - exactly the opposite of what I expected from the guy who got banned for supposedly urged a player to commit suicide (which I learned was down to typical media spin to get reader interest). Wow - all this around a game!

But my prejudice said, 'Well, he's the leader, a master of PR, posting on a respected site, so he's spinning with the best of them. Let me check their website and forums to see what it's like.'

And, again, a 'wow' moment.

I can't say I've ever been pulled into a forum so quickly, one that covers such a diverse range of topics in a mostly mature, informed, respectful manner (I pretty quickly got trapped reading through the 'ask me about being homeless' thread on my first visit).

As I said, I'm currently in a newbie-friendly corp, so will eventually want to move on to bigger and better things in game. I'm now really intrigued by GoonWaffe, and know the normal way to get in is to be a good member at SA for a few months. So here's my start!

I'm typically a pretty shy guy, and must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by a lot of what I've read. I'm not sure I'll have much to contribute, but, what better way to find out than to give it a start. So...

I was surprised there wasn't already a 'why are you here' thread. Maybe I'm just being nosy, but I think it'd be interesting to know not only what first brought you to these forums, but why you chose to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
My friend bought me an account as a present, so that I could read all the same cool threads he did.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Because poo poo's hilarious, yo.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I was 15 and didn't have access to a credit card but my friend's older brother showed us the site and we were prank calling people on a thread about calling each other. A drunk airmen at the Air Force Academy bought me the account. I can't remember his username but I remember randomly going into the leper's colony a few years ago and saw he was banned, I don't think he ever registered again.

Noonches of TCC fame a few years ago bought me a bunch of avatars because he's insane and has tons of problems (his mom was scheduled to go on Oprah about his heroin addiction).

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Humanist posted:

I'm not sure I'll have much to contribute

You should go with your feelings. I think.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I did it for the chicks.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Pro-tip: You will never get in GoonWaffe, not in three months, not ever.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

hayden. posted:

Why are you crushing his dreams? :smith:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
You can expedite joining Goonwaffe. Contact one of the several recruitment officers to find out how.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I tripped and fell and when I got up, I was all covered in goon. It was in my hair and in my ears. Goon was all over my face and I had to wipe it off of my eyes so I could open them. I had goon that somehow got shoved way up in my buttcrack. I opened my wallet and nothing but goon came out. I tried to get rid of that sticky goon mess, but it ended up spreading all over my house. So I just gave up and learned to live with the goon. That was 9 years ago.

Humanist
Jun 25, 2012

hayden. posted:

Well, I guess the point of my thread wasn't to say I signed up here to get into GoonWaffe, but to say my interest in them is what brought me here. If I'm still here in a few months and still interested in EVE, then I'll give it a go. Time will tell.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Oh, tell it will.
It will indeed.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Humanist posted:

Well, I guess the point of my thread wasn't to say I signed up here to get into GoonWaffe, but to say my interest in them is what brought me here. If I'm still here in a few months and still interested in EVE, then I'll give it a go. Time will tell.

Head over the MMO HMO eve thread and post a quick intro. Don't worry about joining, but ask for game help and maybe a little ISK to start becoming an asset instead of a liability.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Like the OP, I joined the SA forums for EVE. My corporation was destroyed by the Goons, so we decided one of us would become a deep undercover mole. Since many new regs are mistrusted, we took up a collection and they paid to have me sent back in time. We wanted to pick a date before the release of EVE, but unfortunately that would have almost tripled the cost(loving time travel companies :argh:). Plus I wanted to wait til my past self had a place of his own. It's only about two more years til the planned date when I post in the recruitment thread as a long time Goon, and begin a six year planned take down of the entire GoonFleet.

Luckily there have been a lot of funny threads to keep me busy in the meantime.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Should this thread be in games since it's a bunch of incomprehensible MMO poo poo? What the gently caress is a ten ton hammer?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Before we were dating, my boyfriend was a goon and would always know the best news stories before I'd heard anything. I began to lurk on SA and I think I joined when I was 17 or so. I basically joined so I could read the ghost stories thread, scare myself shitless, and not sleep for days in a row as I waited the Rake to come and destroy me.

I don't read the ghost stories threads anymore. I learned my lesson.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Humanist posted:

Like I said, they will never let you in, even if it's "not the reason" you joined.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I joined to play a GURPS Fallout game, then the GM went missing. Gravelbeast, where are you!?

Old Style Pilsner
Feb 14, 2012
I wanted to post in BYOB :(

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Wanted to experiment with drugs using TCC as a resource.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

babies havin rabies posted:

Wanted to experiment with drugs using TCC as a resource.

This, and AI helped me learn about cars from a non-moronic point of view. It's also a lot easier to browse without a view limit and the censored swear words.

I've also bought people accounts so they could view the funny.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
I joined for the pink flyers.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

I initially joined for the old mp3 forum back in the day, but stayed for the comedy!

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
I originally joined, I think, around when Humpermonkey was hugely popular with his story threads. If I recall that wasn't terribly long after the whole Franky saga. That was going on... 6? years ago? The comedy was overwhelming and the random access to non-accounts was getting on my nerve, so I made the jump.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I joined for Lepers Colony and the superior posting that occurs in this fine forum. Also if the OP would post a little bio about himself in FYAD and chill out in GBS for a time. He may get into Goonwaffe as one of the auth people in Goonwaffe. I can say that doing this will improve your chances of getting into the corporation.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I joined because way back in the day Frankie the Purple Dildo and Humper Monkeys threads were some of the funniest things I'd read on the internet. Still are too.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

jabro posted:

I did it for the chicks.

I did it for the Chickam chicks! :3:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Friend was a goon. I'd read the frontpage for years, but didn't realize a forum existed until he told me.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I did it for EVE. I could not imagine how well that would work out.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
I lurked for four years whenever the forum was displayed to the public, i especially enjoyed reading megathreads and have a few dozen of them saved as offline pages, i figured it's worth getting an actual account considering i spent an hour or so daily just reading through threads.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I lurked for.. ..way too long. Read the front page. Got a shitload of information on Katrina and 9/11 through the forums. I really probably should have signed up when stuff was free :unsmith: but as much as I post and browse and whatnot, I'm kinda glad I threw some money in the expenses pot.

A friend nudged me into joining, finally, because hey shouldn't I be posting instead of just reading?

:mad: Look what you did, friend!

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL

Almanac fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 14, 2013

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Photoshop Phriday, and I also like girls with facial hair.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Because it wasn't FARK. There is no Wil Wheaton making GBS threads up threads here.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't remember why. I don't really remember anything from around the time I joined or before.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I was hanging out by the docks, trying to fold a fishing net with my brothers, when this goon strolled by and said to us, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men." He then made a face like this: :v:

It was, you see, because he had just made a pun about fishermen and fishers of men. It was a dumb pun, but we were pretty drunk and decided to follow the goon holy man. A minute later, my buddies John and James, who were fishing with their dad, saw us pass by with with the gooniest motherfucker that they had ever seen. They threw down their nets, saying "gently caress you, DAD!" They swam to shore and followed the goon.

And the goon went all about the country, teaching and preaching his incredibly goony wisdom. Later, he was hauled away and sentenced to be killed for being "too goony." I asked my goon lord if the spirit of gooniness would wither and die after him, but the goon said, "No. I will live on inside each of you, for you are now goons yourselves."

It was at that moment that I truly became a goon.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Front page content, Jeff K, Cliff Yablonski got me started. Eventually found the forums, lurked a year or two, and joined.

The overall SA community has changed a LOT in the past 9 years or so. There's still an emphasis on trying to be funny, but for the most part the forums have lost their comedy identity and have grown into a mature, intelligent catch-all place for discussion of various topics. Elements of the community, such as FYAD and moderators' management styles, help to maintain the humor of the site, though.

PooBoots
Feb 27, 2007

I was reading FARK on a regular basis, and they kept linking to stuff here. I think it was a series of emails between Lowtax and...someone that finally got me to pay up.

I stopped reading FARK right after that so it all worked out.

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑

hayden. posted:

Sad but true, specially when your main intention for joining the forum was to join EVE GS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd been reading the front page and forums since about 2003 but it wasn't until I got access to my own debit card at the age of 19 that I decided to buy an account. A couple of friends joined up around 2004-5 but I have no idea if they still post. I just got sick of not being able to read threads all the time and then when the language filter for the public came in, having to translate.

• Locked thread