Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Orv posted:

Ugh, I really don't want to play through the game each time for a new gimmick build. That's really unfortunate.

You'll be able to cheat even more outrageously with trainers and character editors and such in about two days so I wouldn't worry about it. Sucks for the console though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
edit: figured it out i think

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 24, 2012

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
A new content question:

Where do you get the key for Gough's door? I've been all the way to the end and didn't find it. I read it was in the building before the abyss, is that the building with the weird chain miniboss or the building before that one with all the monkeys? Also is it possible to get gough's armor?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

That Gobbo posted:

It's in the building with all the monkey enemies, search around for a doorway you probably missed. Also I've read it's possible to get Gough's Armor by killing him.

I can't find it. Is this the building with the spell you cut from a rope and a red titanite chunk in a chest you have to jump to get?

Edit: :lol: I checked my inventory and I had it all along whoops.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

SixtySix posted:

anybody tried killing Gough yet? If not, I might try and give it a shot to see what it does.

You get his armor and bow.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Oh, I was using the shield I started with as a Knight before that. I didn't even consider buying a shield from either of those guys. I guess I'll do that. I also want to replace my Drake Sword since I've had it for a bit now; is it worthwhile to upgrade a regular weapon, or should I wait until I have some crazy unique thing?

You dropped the tower kite shield you started with for the knight shield? This is why it was mentioned as a sign of a bad player, you replaced your starting shield with one that's inferior in every way.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Man serpent greatsword has good base damage and is imo the best strength weapon and it needs 24, go farm one if you've opened sen's. You could also go the easy way and buy a reinforced club from the undead merchant. Since you have such low faith divine weapons won't do a ton of damage anyway, but you'll be able to two-shot the skeletons with either.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I only have the zweihander, the dragon is still guarding that one I think. Any good idea how to get without killing myself?

Shoot it with an arrow, quickly run out and get it when it lands on the bridge.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

mcvey posted:

I've been meaning to ask what's up with all of the 'up arrows' on the bottoms of peoples health/stamina bars?

They're all various bonuses from equipment. The yellow arrow is the ring of favour and protection, the three green arrows is the grass crest shield, the blue arrow is the crown of the dark sun, and the armor arrow is the wolf ring.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

I guess the drop rate might be the same and some of us are just suffering from bias,

People with extremely small samples making sweeping generalizations might be suffering from bias!?

If it makes you all feel better, I've been through almost the whole game now twice and the drops have been exactly the same as normal... it's almost like they're random and different people will have different experiences! Maybe they've changed, maybe they haven't (I suspect they haven't) but I guarantee you don't have enough data to say.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

UberJumper posted:

So i have a +7 longsword and i am currently trying to get through sens fortress. However it just doesn't seem to cut it in terms of damage(most of my attacks do around ~40 damage).

I am level 44 and have 26 points of strength, what weapon should i try and get?

The snake men drop a greatsword that requires 24 strength and it's one of the better strength weapons in the game. You can farm the two just inside the fortress, and it won't take long if you use a ring you can find in it.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

MysteryNad posted:

Yeah, you need to have the Soul of Artorias in your inventory for her to show up.

She showed up for me without it.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Stokes posted:

Have you guys figured out that GreenBuckanneer is trolling you all yet?

If he's trolling he's been doing it for 5 years.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Well after puttering around in a thief filled village for a while I found the Capra Demon. After a few deaths trying to dodge around in the crackerbox of the room I beat him, and I have two things to say/ask:

1) It goes against all logic I thought this game adhered to that it turns out you can block his attacks completely to no ill effect but massive stamina drain

I don't know what logic you're talking about because this is how blocking works against everything if your shield/endurance is good enough.

quote:

(2) An orange message outside his room said "Weakness: Parrying". I figured it was trolling me into getting killed, but does it turn out that you can actually not only block his attacks, but parry them? The guy is wielding swords the size of a small house for pete's sake.

You can parry or partially parry almost every attack in the game, although there's no point in doing it unless you can riposte.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. It's really weird, this is the first game I think I've ever played where blocking is literally better than dodging in most instances.

It is not.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Man I really don't know what's up with my connection. I've got all the right ports forwarded and still I can only summon people 1/5 of the time. And the people that I can summon are always the same. For example, if I summon person A and can't summon B or C and I have to try it all over again I can always summon A a second time. It's like it just works with some people and not with others.

Sounds like the people you're having trouble summoning are the ones with the wrong ports. I have no problem being summoned but I've noticed that sometimes when the host tries to summon a second it can take like 4 tries.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
You can't miss it, and you aren't even at the point you can do it yet.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

Is there any way to dodge Smough's hammer plow attack that isn't just backing away? I've tried dodging in, dodging left, dodging right, and they all result in me getting trampled and dying.

I've never had any luck dodging through it but you can definitely get around it by jumping to the side and forward around the hammer.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Just ran into my firs cheater, I was sunbroing for someone in Anor Londo and some terrible phantom who was invincible invaded. Me and the other phantom chain backstabbed him for about 5 minutes before he killed the host, it was pretty funny. Then he throws down a "well what is it". He really showed us!

What a strange breed of loser who thinks that's a fun way to spend their time.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm liking Ornstein's helmet a lot more since I realized it was a great helm with a lion crest on top (the mouth is the visor) instead of a weird disproportionate tiny lion head helmet.

I feel bad for this guy I've tried to help beat O&S twice, but both times I disconnected somehow before the end.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
If you don't want to get invaded, do the opposite of some people's problem and disable port 3074!

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
If they're hitting him then he's helping out a ton? He trivializes the first half of that fight.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Zylen posted:

I'm getting super fed up of dudes invading my game and one-shotting me. It's bad enough that 4 3-man attempts at O&S have all failed now. :qq:

Are you dieing in the fight itself or are cheating invaders killing you? If you're dieing in the boss fight, how the hell do three people die there. If it's invaders just make a run for the fog door.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah I've been summoned from that room a whole bunch, sometimes with a third phantom, at level 50.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about damage scaling. Right now I rushed the Zweihander, and am planning on getting my str/dex stats up to that level while also maxing out int (at the cost of vit/end, just because I don't need it as much anymore). My question is this:

Will my 50int sorcerer get more damage out of setup A or B?

A: +15 Zweihander, enchanted with crystal magic weapon and a badass catalyst,

or B: a +5 Enchanted Zweihander?

Alternatively, since it's still early, I thought about going with a dex/int build instead and using ricard's rapier. Same situation, is one setup better than the other?

With high stats, +15 and a buff will always be better than anything else. With 27 str, 10 dex, and 50 int, two handed the +5 enchanted will have 715(266/449) attack and the +15 with buff will have 844(528/316). The more you put into str and dex the more the regular weapon will outshine the enchanted one. That said the zweihander is a pretty crappy weapon for +15 because of its mediocre, split scaling, with those same stats a +15 man-serpent greatsword only does 7 less damage and swings way faster.

Probably the best way to go is to use an enchanted weapon for regular enemies and buff a +15 one for bosses.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah ricard's rapier is only really good if you use it with a monstrous buff, preferably the upgraded darkmoon blade. In that case it does the highest dps in the game I suspect (I saw a video of a guy doing this on like NG+++ and hitting bosses for 6000+ per combo). I tried using it with the 15 int Oolacile catalyst/great magic weapon I like to go with but it wasn't very impressive.

Personally I like the man-serpent a lot because it's a monster even without the buff, and only needs 27 str to get the most out of the scaling if you're two handing it.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
That's... exactly what I said.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Heti posted:

I'm serious about the golem axe, it is amazing.

It's worse than the weapon he's currently using, and significantly worse than the scaling weapons he should consider replacing it with. It's actually just not a great weapon to begin with with its mediocre damage, high strength requirement, high weight and inability to be enchanted.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

For your example, according to the wiki, +15 Murakumo is 282 physical damage. The +5 lightning Murakumo is 310 physical damage and 316 lightning. This means that if you have low enough dex that the 282+whatever is less than 310+316 then the lightning will do more damage (before resistances).

EthanSteele posted:

The nerf to lightning was, as far as I am aware, a nerf to the raw numbers and nothing else. Apparently the Claymore +5 lightning was 283+288 where as now it is 257+257. +15 Claymore is 257 physical damage with C scaling, so unless you have enough Strength and Dex to make up 257 lightning damage then the lightning Claymore does more damage than the +15 (before resistances).

You say this as if it matters, but how much damage something does before resistances doesn't matter at all. You can't look at just the numbers, pure damage type weapons will outdamage elemental weapons even if they have lower damage totals.

For example, against a royal giant in AL, a 535 damage lightning claymore hit for 176, and a murakamo with a just slightly lower 532 damage hit for a significantly higher 256. Even a 598 damage fire gargoyle halberd hits for less at 239. A BSS with only 377 damage hit for almost as much as the 535 damage claymore at 162.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

BattleHamster posted:

As a 50 faith character (and not being very familiar with the dark souls upgrade system), I was wondering how this all applies to faith/occult weapons. Is a +15 claymore significantly better than a +5 occult or +10 divine one when i have 16 str and 50 faith?

No, with those stats the occult/divine weapon will be much better. The +15 weapons come ahead when you're using a good scaling weapon (which the claymore isn't) and have near 40 in the appropriate stat. For example a +15 man-serpent greatsword at 40 strength will be better than an occult/divine claymore at 50 faith.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Just failed to get a host through O&S for the first time in about 35 attempts :(. Host decided to sit underneath a buttslam.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone got tips for the iron golem? I keep dieing to it, mainly becuase the loving camera is sticking so low to the ground that I can't see where I'm going. Then I walk over an edge and die.

Are you targeting him? Don't target big enemies.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I've made a couple attempts to beat the two sanctuary guardians.... almost definitely the hardest thing to do in the game. You could cheese them with ranged from the tunnels of course, but it was clearly put in as a crazy challenge.

I have to give it to from, I think the 4 new content bosses are all among the most well designed and funnest in the game.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Did I break Solaires quest line? I summoned him for O&S, talked to him at the shrine in the parish. Then I went into Lost Izalith via shortcut, found the sunlight maggot and traded it in at snuggly (bad idea I know.) Then I went to the Bed of Chaos and killed it without ever doing the demon ruin bosses. His summon sign now does NOT appear at the centipede demon door and he's still at the shrine in the parish.

Have you gone and talked to him at the LI bonfire? I think if you do that you'll be all good.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Susurrus posted:

Is there something I should know about being summoned? I'm sitting here at the gate to the bonfire at the Undead Parish (next to the castle) and it's been about an hour with no luck. I just want to be able to sunbro...:(

You should put it somewhere where people want to summon someone. Who wants to summon someone there? Either put it outside a boss's fog gate or at the bonfire nearest the boss, and it'll need to be at a boss where most players will be around your level.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

OxMan posted:

Is the only way to get Kalameet's tail with arrows? I never see it come down. Also for those who are interested, I'll be sunbroing SL80 Dukes, Kala, and final boss and whatever else is near, send OxIN a message over GFWL.

It comes down on a couple moves but it is hard as hell to get it off. The move where he rears up and shoots flame, the one where he picks you up with his mind (this one is almost impossible to get a hit off for), and sometimes when he does the swooping attack he'll slam his tail down for enough time for a couple hits if you bait it.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

People keep telling me to get more vitality :saddowns:

If you're dieing regularly, feel free to get more vitality. People who talk about how you don't need any are trying too hard to impress people on the internet.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

muike posted:

I think I've decided to go with a strength build because I want to hit men with really big swords. That's a good enough reason, right? Is the Capra demon's weapon any good? I want to see what its heavy attacks are.

If you don't mind the slow attack speed, it's the best ultra greatsword for a strength build, and it's arguably the best of the very slow weapons.

I wouldn't be too excited to see its strong attacks though since they're pretty much the worst in the game, the only competitors are the black knight sword/greatsword I'd say.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
It's basically terrible. At 24 strength, 18 dex, 40 int and 40 faith it does an extremely underwhelming 571 split damage (sadly, the same damage the old lightning claymore did with a requirement of 16 str 10 dex). If you go up to level 150+ and have 40 in every stat it does ok damage but still less than the actually good choices that you could have by working by level 50.

Barudak posted:

It would be a good weapon if you could ever hope to get to around SL 200 ish which is where its scaling finally surpasses other options.

It doesn't even surpass them though, it's still not as good. At 40 in every stat the greatsword is at 658 split damage, but at only 40 str and 40 int, a man serpent greatsword with CMW blows it away at 816. Even with 99 in every stat it still does less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Someone else with a stopwatch or somethign should do some testing, but I just compared the pc to the 360 version and I'm pretty sure they nerfed the grass crest shield's stamina regen. Whereas it used to be equivalent to grass/power within it now seems noticeably worse. I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

Edit: Also, if you take off the lingering dragoncrest ring after casting you do NOT gain its benefits.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 14, 2012

• Locked thread