Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

WMain00 posted:

For some reason whenever I'm playing multiplayer my FPS goes to complete and utter poo poo. I'm talking slideshow levels. And no matter how many settings I change it makes absolutely no difference.

I found that this depends massively on the mission. Specifically, if it was wasteland it ran like poo poo, and everything else ran smooth as butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Also supporting mumble here. TS is just an unnecessary barrier to entry for most goons, and even if ACRE existed for arma 3 it'd still break constantly and make everything terrible and frustrating. Wasn't someone just complaining about how ACRE requires a different version of TS3 than the server runs?

Arguments that 'everyone is already using ts and we already have a server' are bullshit because pretty much every goon gamer uses mumble and we are swimming in appropriate mumble servers.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

BIG HORNY COW posted:

VS 38 Random Firefight

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vixrzfa5s0gi5al/VS%252038%2520Random%2520firefight%2520v1.Stratis.pbo

I made a bunch of these back in the WGL days. They're super simple and were always pretty fun. We had one for about every map we used.

-OPFOR spawns in one of 5 places and defends it from BLUFOR.
-Ends when one side dies or all of OPFOR is outside their defensive zone. (No insta-kill poo poo, you can go wherever you want, but as soon as nobody is left in the spawn area, OPFOR loses)
-BLUFOR has a handful of vehicles and OPFOR has mines / explosives.
-OPFOR Squad Leader must be filled with a player or AI (don't disable AI)

We tried playing this today. Driving all over the island trying to find the single place the AI spawned, with no hints at all, was exactly the opposite of fun. Once we finally got there (it was the last place we checked, on the opposite end of the island) we started to get into a really enjoyable close quarters fight, but then the host crashed. You want my advice: have opfor spawn at *all* the marked locations, or at least indicate which of them to go to. Make sure you get respawns too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

fuckpot posted:

Do the vehicles not have physics yet or is it just me? Blown up cars always seems to land on their wheels and choppers on their blades. Plus I have tried blowing up a car on the side of a hill to see it it rolls down but it doesn't seem to. They said they were implementing PhysX 3.0 really late in the piece so I am guessing it hasn't made the alpha like the Take On flight model hasn't made it.

What do you think is handling the dynamics of you driving around in it?

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Ah, forgot the hint command is client side and it needs to be global. Ill fix that later tonight (it tells you where they spawn)

Also you really want at least one opfor soldier to be a player - preferably the squad leader. Its really supposed to be an adversarial mission anyway

Edit: ill make it delete all the other red area markers once opfor spawns too, just for added measure

The fixes sound good. But why would we want anyone on opfor when we can all hang out together and shoot AI mans as a group?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Electric Slug posted:

The third person spergin actually reminds me of a question I wanted to ask for you mil goons: when a server is up will you guys allow it? I've been pondering picking this up and looking to play with some goons instead of evolution servers and whatever the christ everyone else plays, and I'm just wondering if I can look at my totally sweet backpack and tactical fedora as I'm getting shot in the face. I'm not a huge fan of the first person modes in Arma 1 and 2 because of the motion blur and shakiness, so if you guys allow it hopefully I'll join you guys in fighting giant ants and getting blown up in a helicopter piloted by ham. Also becoming one with the bird spirits - I think thats a important bit as well.

You can disable post processing to remove all blur, and there's a slider to set headbob (the source of the shakiness) to whatever magnitude you like. With the new movement controls, first person is nearly as smooth as any other FPS.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

MrOnBicycle posted:

If anyone has pedals and hasn't tried this yet, do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60LoGA-sKI

It was posted a couple of days ago, but I finally bothered to hook up my Driving Force Pro and helicopter flying is now awesome. If only I had a Track IR. :3: I bound lean to the pedals as well, but haven't tried it out yet.

I just wish BI would make a crosshair that didn't move with your view so you could aim without centering and locking TrackIR. That's awkward enough to do that I generally don't bother hooking up TrackIR if I expect to fly a helicopter with weapons mounted.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mederlock posted:

I thought that with TIR in the helicoptors there was 6DOF

EDIT: I just tested it with the helicoptors, there is MOST certainly 6DOF in them.

What? There wasn't when I tried. Did you do anything other than enable the TrackIR controller to get it working?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Orv posted:

CHKilroy was definitely using 6DOF in his stream on launch day, and Dyslexci said something about making sure the setting was ticked. :shrug:
Okay, I dicked around in the editor some and worked something out. It looks like there are three issues: First, 6DoF doesn't work in the Ka-60 or whatever that big transport helo is. Second, the left/right axes have a *tiny* range in the littlebird. Third, the front/back and up/down axes are both only half-implemented--there's no 'back' or 'down' bind.

It looks like the littlebird also has a view-independent crosshair, which the Ka-60 doesn't, so I guess their 6DoF support is just WIP.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I have a 5850 and an i5 and I get very comfortable framerates on singleplayer and good multiplayer servers, so it's probably the CPU.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Jippa posted:

Like I say, it's nothing to do with settings or hardware, that area of the map gives you horrible frame rates due to the way it's made.

What area? I haven't found any map region that gives me bad framerates. It's bad mission scripting and/or 'bad' hosts (we're not quite sure what makes a host good or not, since we've had lovely hosts that report low bw/cpu/gpu usage and great ones that report high usages) that cause it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Jippa posted:

Just out of interest. Was "putting stuff on the ground before you can pick it up" some sort of anti duping measure? Because that is the only reason I could think of implementing some thing like that.

It's an Alpha. It has bugs. If it's screwy, it's probably not intentional.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Jippa posted:

I was specifically talking about having to move guns/mags to the "ground" before you could move them them to your inventory. That isn't a bug that's a design decision.

I just thought it could be related to to the duping problem they had in dayz where you glitch it and get two versions of the same item.

No, it's a bug. You can tell because it only occurs in certain circumstances, e.g. in multiplayer when you are not the host.

DatonKallandor posted:

You don't have to move guns and mags to the ground before you can use em though. That's only for clothes and rigs (and possibly backpacks). Guns and poo poo you can drag directly from the container to the inventory (or even directly into your equip slots).

In Wasteland, at least, you can't directly equip weapons from freshly-spawned vehicles. However, if you drive them around first (even just an infinitesimal amount) you regain the ability.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 15, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

In fairness, the project lead outright said that the development builds don't go through internal QA at all.

By the way, from one of the "diving module" spergs:
I on the other hand would believe that this was because BI doesn't expect anyone except "special people" (read: mil:spergin: ) to design a mission to last more than four hours. :rolleyes:

Well, it might be interesting to have a mission where you only have a few minutes to make it to the surface before running out of air, but must escape notice.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mederlock posted:

Next people are going to be clamouring for DCS FC3 style fixed wing aircraft simulation and that Steel Beasts tank simulator for armour :rolleyes:

That would be pretty great, actually. Or, more realistically, at least something World of Tanks-level. Damage modeling is great because it becomes a whole new game when you've got a damaged vehicle and have to continue to fight/safely retreat with it, and it makes it more interesting to fight against the vehicles too, since you could to things like try to make a tank throw a tread, at which point the tank crew would need to call in support, or clear out the area until it was safe enough to get out and fix themselves.

Turin Turambar posted:

Actually, it never claimed to be ultra realistic simulator.
They always had lots of concessions, like unlimited sprint, third person camera, crosshairs, and lots of indicators to help people like the enemy tags. And that's the more "realistic" part, the infantry side, their vehicles always have been kind of simplified, both in controls and functionality.
Their fans always have been more mil-spergy than them :P.

Unlimited sprint has been removed now that they have the more detailed inventory system, and the rest are configurable difficulty options. Not really "concessions" except insofar as that they give you a choice, which is fine.

VVVV Are you sure you're not thinking of ACE?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

emanresu tnuocca posted:

All this joystick talk got me to buy a ThrustMaster T-16000M, everything seems pretty cool only I'm confused about some things, like thrust.

I see that in ARMA 3 Adjust Collective Analogue is mapped to my joystick's slider, but, I'm not really sure how to use it, getting my chopper to hover seems nearly impossible and I either overfly everything or crash into the ground. The slider doesn't show its zero point either which is pretty confusing.

So, how should I map my stick and which controls should I use?

Getting a helicopter to hover is actually legitimately really hard, even with arma's simplified flight model. I'm not at my gaming machine so I can't say for sure, but it's quite likely that you've got the bindings right, and are just discovering how challenging helicopters are.

One specific issue you're dealing with is precision. Judging by , that slider's got a pretty small range, and the entirety of the helicopter's control inputs from "drop like a rock" to "shoot into the sky" have to be mapped to that, leaving only a hair-thin area for "comfortably hover". In comparison, a HOTAS setup will be easier to use because the large range of a dedicated throttle gives you much more precise control.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'll be there if I don't sleep through it. It'd be nice if we could all have a look at the mission beforehand, though, since they'll have an advantage from having been he ones who made it otherwise.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think I figured out what made my game crash, Chrome leaked memory on my system and whenever I opened both Chrome and ARMA I'd have 86% (out of 8GB) physical memory consumed before I even loaded a mission. I'll monitor my task manager a bit and maybe hopefully enjoy a session of ARMA3 that doesn't crash as soon as I start to enjoy myself.

It also seems like ARMA leaks some memory without doing anything, I just started the application and let it hang in the menu a few minutes later It takes almost a hundred mb more than it did earlier.

Does anyone else experience these crashes?

FWIW, I have only 4GB of RAM total, leave firefox running, and client crashes are rare for me. Software shouldn't generally crash just because you're low on physical memory; it'll just start to run a bit slower as less-used stuff gets pushed out to swap.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mederlock posted:

Apparently, what they're doing for Dayz standalone is making the zombie simulation distributed across the players, rather then having the entire load of the AI stuff for them handled by the server.
You've got that exactly backwards. That was how the mod worked, and they're scrapping it because it made things really complicated and glitchy.

Sylink posted:

Hopefully that gets fixed or it is going to awful to play anything. I enjoy wasteland but its hard to aim when its a slideshow.
Have you tried the dev version? Less servers, but it seems to run wasteland a lot better.

kloa posted:

For some reason, APB also has players performance tied to server performance (based on server fps). So, if the server fps was super high (or low, one of them), everyone's physics and poo poo would be hosed up and totally unplayable but sometimes fun to dick around in.
Physics and poo poo always gets hosed up when a server bogs down in any remotely conventional netcode environment, because the server is the intermediary for everyone's simulations. The confusing issue with the alpha is that the client's rendering framerate suffers as well.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
We seem to spend a lot of time with people to play but no missions, so I suggest everyone capable of hosting go out and grab http://www.moddb.com/mods/urban-conquest . It's a good general gently caress-around territory control missoin set which can be played as coop or pvp, lets you select classes on respawn, and has a bunch of other random cool features. Makes for good gameplay whether you've got two people or twenty, whether you're in the mood for urban CQC or vehicle battles at standoff range.

wargames posted:

Don't want to fracture what little community we have for arma.
Unless it's for spergy mods, then fracture away!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Funkysauce posted:

Will there be an "Idiot's Guide To Installing ACRE" post at some point or is it unnecessary? The best multiplayer is goon multiplayer. I don't wanna be left out. :(

This is why the ACRE spergs are being relegated to a PGS thread. Things are staying nice and straightforward here, no worries.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Just played a 2v2 round of Operation Blind Bat, Rent's nighttime king of the hill map. It's awesome. Everyone just has ironsights, flashlights, and a single grenade launcher flare. It's a ton of fun. Sneaking up on each other in the dark, weighing using your flashlight to orient yourself versus remaining stealthy, hunting silhouettes, footsteps, and muzzle flashes. I can't wait to play it with more people. Let's see if we can get a big group together on Saturday to put it through its paces properly.

4PM EDT / 1PM PDT Edit: 6PM EDT / 3PM PDT work for people?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 28, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

fuckpot posted:

This is the exact sort of thing I'd like to get in to. Is being in Australia a problem? I'll get up at 6am for it!

Worst-case scenario, you make yourself an easier target for the rest of us.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

fuckpot posted:

This is the exact sort of thing I'd like to get in to. Is being in Australia a problem? I'll get up at 6am for it!

EvilJoven posted:

Adjust that forward a bit and I'll be able to join. Maybe 5?

Sounds like a bit later might work better for everyone. Let's try for 6PM EDT / 3PM PDT instead.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Justin Tyme posted:

6PM is good for me, the maps and gamemodes and whatnot should all download automatically right?
So long as you've got the latest stable version of the client you should be fine.

SquadronROE posted:

Alright, if anyone still has any Lite codes I'd love to give this a shot. I need to make sure my PC is optimized for it anyway, I've got a quad core but only 4 GB of RAM, so I might need to up that RAM a bit.

Is it as "fun" as Arma 2, where fun = buggy?
I'm running with 4GB of RAM just fine. Might need to upgrade when the full size map comes out, but Stratis loads and runs without a hitch. The game's somehow less buggy than ArmA 2 even in alpha, and the improved physics and movement promises more fun to be had in well-designed missions, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Nalin posted:

I wouldn't spend $150 on a TrackIR when you can spend $20 on parts at RadioShack and build an IR headset for use with FaceTrackNoIR, especially with the Occulus Rift on the horizon. That seems to be the next big "thing", so I would bet you will see much more game compatibility with the Occulus than with TrackIR. And I don't doubt that people will attempt to add support for the Occulus inside FaceTrackNoIR, which would allow you to use it in any game that supports the TrackIR/FreeTrack protocols.

Game support for the Oculus Rift requires modifying an engine's renderer to generate stereoscopic 3D, while TrackIR just requires a hook to adjust the camera angle/position, which is dramatically easier to implement, so I wouldn't be so certain about compatibility. That said, the Oculus Rift seems to be getting a lot more press, and it's possible they'll release their motion tracking hardware, which is both better than TrackIR's and likely to be much cheaper, as a standalone device which could well drive NaturalPoint out of the market entirely, a move many developers might welcome with the way NaturalPoint's been piling on gratuitous incompatibility via DRM.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

GateheaD posted:

Edit: Anyone found a custom mission for practicing sniping at long ranges?
once we're over 600m I'm terrible

This is the sort of simple experimentation that the editor makes really easy, even for a novice. Just open it up, double click somewhere to create a marksman that you'll play as, then double click somewhere >600m away to create an enemy (or use the group tool to create predefined enemy squads all at once). Finally, click "Preview" and you'll be dropped right in.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hrm. Coincidentally, after reinstalling everything, the first new profile I made, I've added diving goggles for shits and giggles.

To the disappointment of goon dress-up aficionados everywhere, diving goggles don't display when you're on land.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

hazza posted:

The game is set in the future, perhaps all the equipment is made out of super-light nano-dust :v:

Or maybe everyone's wearing powered pants.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

Rather annoyed to see that certain bugs and issues were reported during the dev builds but still made it into the stable build, including one that had already been assigned to a dev.

Do you expect them to be able to fix poo poo instantly? Even if they weren't doing a bunch of other stuff e.g. adding missing features and fixing other bugs, these things take time.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Faffel posted:

I'm a huge Arma nerd and I love Arma but I haven't really gotten to play Arma3 much or with goons yet; how do you figure out when sessions are starting? Is #armagoons just the place to be for that poo poo?
1. Choose a time of day convenient to both east and west coast
2. Announce that you will be hosting a game at that time several days in advance
3. Pick some good missions ahead of time. Be sure to have some suitable for any size of group.
4. Now you know when a session's starting!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's even a worse variant of Wasteland, which leaves you with no starter weapon at all, if you get killed. And the only reliable source of weapons (since most item spawns are looted early on), i.e. the gunstore, always gets camped. Seriously, who thinks that this is fun.

Also, I like that among the very few loaded public servers, some are running a mission called Woods, which is a small square with two fix spawnpoints, where everyone shoots the other team. Death if you go past the square's border. There's god knows how many square kilometers for missions, this is what draws people. :saddowns:

It takes good mission design to make gameplay across a large area fun, while in even the worst-designed small PVP mission at least it's easy to find combat.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Flannelette posted:

ISPs in OZ rarely have upload higher than .5 but lots of down, is that a problem?

You should be fine playing on other people's servers. Might not be able to host very large games, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I always regret not being able to put the time in to even consider joining a group like ShackTac, this is sort of the Holy Grail for Arma IMO

Bear in mind, for every time something awesome happens, there are 100 cases of getting sniped unexpectedly and sitting out for the remaining hours of the mission.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

Also... have some Gun Game TDM.

I loved me some gun game back in the CS days. It's great because it naturally balances skill level: the worse you are, the more of an equipment advantage you have.

We need to play the poo poo out of this. Anyone up for hosting, say, the coming weekend?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

Considering giving it a shot myself, pun not intended; how about Death Match 4 as well?

Sounds great! When will you be able? I'm in for any time afternoon/evening pacific time from now through Sunday.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chortles posted:

I should be on tonight at 8 pm Eastern or after, then I have Monday off from work so I should be able to play.

Will be waiting on mumble ( 76.72.167.240:64738 if anyone isn't aware). Not sure when I'll be back on Monday but I'll try for then too. Hope to see you on there soon, as I'll have to cut off to watch game of thrones later.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

GateheaD posted:

Rendering a whole scene twice isn't a big deal.
It already does shadows and PIP, I think they're just lazy.

Shadows involve much less than the entire scene (no textures, no particles, no postprocessing, no distant objects, ...) and PIP is extremely low resolution for a reason while still giving a substantial performance drop. You really wouldn't want that resolution on your rifle scope.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Crigit posted:

Maybe it would work better if the peripheral area was the part that became low res and blurry, with the view through the scope taking the lion's share of resources.

Huh, good point, that would probably work pretty well. Still be a perf hit, though, and when I'm using sights is when I want things to be as smooth as possible.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

jb7 posted:

I've also read that is requires a rock solid 60 FPS for both screens for things to be playable. So yeah, not happening with ARMA.

I manage that just fine so long as I'm not playing Wasteland.

Mederlock posted:

You say that like you assume they're actually going to support Occulus Rift or what have you from release. :laffo: Bohemia hasn't said a thing about it yet, probably because they don't want to get people's hopes up with support for a peripheral that has horrifically bad displays and will be pretty meh because of that for its first iteration.

You know that the first iteration for general release will have a better display, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mederlock posted:

Even with 1920x1080, you'll still clearly see the gridlines between the pixels when your eyes are that close to the displays, especially with the lovely plastic lenses they used in the dev version. And there's no loving way in hell you're going to get 60+ fps *(in Arma) on two 1920x1080 resolution displays, which yes, is necessary for the OR to function properly.

The screen door effect has more to do with the construction of the display than its resolution; it can be highly visible in high-resolution displays or entirely absent in low-resolution ones. There's also only a single display; the OR doesn't use the conventional HMD design of two independent screens, and this is part of why the consumer version will be able to include a high-quality screen without breaking the bank. If you're going to go on about how terrible it is, you should at least spend five minutes learning about it first.

Edit: VVVV A single 1920x1080 display is half the pixels to push of two 1920x1080 displays. Presumably if it's, as you suggest, the resolution that makes the difference, this will be substantially easier. I know even my years-old computer can run anything but wasteland smooth at that resolution; I wouldn't be so pessimistic.

Of course, BI would be ill-advised to delay release for the sake of adding support, so you're right that we probably won't see it at first.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 31, 2013