Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Just tried the demo out, first-person view during battle sequences sure are a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also, the stubby little feet the character models have makes me think everyone is a victim of foot-binding. :stonk:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

Having cousins (or potentially an aunt/nephew or uncle/niece in a couple special cases) hook up is possible, though.
Good god, there needs to be a combination of :ughh: and :japan:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

So how much "support meter" does pairing up fill? Or rather much pairing up needs to happen before a support ranks up?

I know that in older games, just sitting the units adjacent to each other each turn is enough. Clearly that isn't the case this time around.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh. Is Hector really not available as dlc?

It's a goddamn shame.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

So like Capcom, they've ran out of ideas and just went all "gently caress it, do a cross-over game. that makes money right?".

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the last Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem games sure sucked, they must be fresh out of ideas.

Just saying cross-over games tend not to be very good.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I didn't say they were all "bad". Just a lot of them that I've played were really sub-par. Kinda suffering from the "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome sometimes. Cross-over games just don't fly well with me is all.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Brain One Seven posted:

It's less the street date being broken and more that Nintendo of Canada hosed up and apparently forgot to put a street date on it at all, so stores can just start selling it as soon as it shows up. That's what the guys at my EB told me when I picked it up at least.

Wait so EB in Canada is breaking the street date already? Looks like I've got an extra trip to make tomorrow.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Is there some bad mojo regarding the eshop (e.g., is it not hitting the eshop on launch day?)

Purchases for the 3DS done in the eShop is linked to your specific 3DS. So if you were to say, break your 3DS beyond repair, those purchases are gone for good. So if/when Nintendo does the smart thing and updates the 3DS to use Nintendo Network accounts like the WiiU, I'm weary of buying digital copies of games from Nintendo if not for that little liability.

I'm also spoiled by PSN in that I don't have to pay taxes on purchases.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can just set your state to one that doesn't have the sales tax or whatever in the region settings and you won't be charged extra.

It'd be nice except that I live in Canada. I did set it to Alberta though which gets taxed the least. :v:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Serifina posted:

There's a reason there's a system transfer.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/data_transfer.jsp

Your games and other purchased material do transfer.

I know that but what I said was if your 3DS gets to a point where it doesn't even work anymore, a system transfer will be impossible. But since apparently it does transfer on an SD card (this is news to me), it shouldn't be an issue anymore I guess.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RE: early release for Canada, I just called my local EB and yeah they're selling them now. I'm in Ontario.

It's gonna be a good day.:dance:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

The most important question is: does the cartridge still have the awesome pixel art the Japanese version did? http://tinycartridge.com/image/21266353753

Nope!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah whoops, I guess I should look at it longer than 1 second. :v:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I've only just got to content outside the demo, and I got to say, Fredrick owns. Best Jeigan ever.

e: How does support build up? Is it GBA style stand next to each other forever, or PoR style deploy both units?

Use them in dual supports/pair ups.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

If I have a pre-order, will I get some sort of call if my area decides to go 'gently caress the street date' or?

When I picked my game, the clerk was all "I guess I should start calling people who pre-ordered".

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm flipping through the pre-order artbook and it's surprisingly high quality for an 8 page book of animes. It's all full colour glossy, and even the cover is pretty cool with all the embossing.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm already loving Chrom and Fred's C rank support. This game. :allears:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats are accepted ways to pay for the eShop? Im currently inclinced to buy a used US 3ds here since I have no chance to get the awakening bundle from the US after all. :(

Credit card or Nintendo fun bux. Presumably both have to match the region where the 3DS comes from. Since you're a Euro, a credit card is out of the question so your only choice is to buy Nintendo's Mickey Mouse money.

You can get them pretty reliably from Play Asia since they'll just e-mail you the code after the purchase. But it's up to you if you want to get scalped a little bit when it comes to buying this stuff online.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I've narrowed down my favourite characters to Gregor and Vaike.

:black101:"Teach just got tenure!"

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Is there a way to get random skirmishes to pop up more often asides from finishing a chapter?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Purchase a Reeking Box item. This is pretty expensive on Hard or above though.

drat, I was afraid of that.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Those of you who have Awakening right now, are there any characters who you don't recruit in the story that you like?

I thought the generic mooks you fight this time around were pretty well designed. At least compared to the faceless ones from Radiant Dawn. I liked the enemy wyvern rider's design. Their masks make them look like fighter pilots.

Seconding Donny being pretty awesome. It seems that every time he kills something or levels up he always goes, "Git'r dun! :banjo:"
I also reclassed him as a merc because mercs are awesome. Gregor knows what's up:

We need a :smugor: emote

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mordecai posted:

The Marth DLC is a pretty safe (and free) way to level weak units if you pair them with a tank. (minor gameplay spoilers) It's a bit slow since NPC allies can killsteal, but you do also get two free random village items and two sparklies.

The SpotPass team available right now: Florina, is better for this. Namely because There are more enemy units and no NPC allies to deal with.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Prism posted:

I didn't get that one. I got Serra and then Eliwood; Serra I can beat no problem, but Eliwood has terrifying things with 80 HP that hit my tanks for 40+ damage... per swing. Are they randomized?

I think it's generated based on the number of unique wifi networks in your vicinity.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

When are they going to give me some more Master and Second Seals? I'm on Chapter 8, and I have a few units I'd like to promote early (Chrom, Avatar, Sumia), but they've only given me one Master Seal, which I used on Lissa. The only Second Seal I've gotten was from the Renown Shop.

You can start buying Master Seals after chapter 12.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, putting Galeforce on everyone sounds annoying as hell, especially in cases like Lissa (Cleric -> Pegasus Knight -> Dark Flier -> Cleric -> Sage). Just seems like way too much work for just one skill.

The way I do it is go straight from Sage to Dark Flier via change seal once Lissa hits level 15 to get that last skill (if you even want it). Skipping the base PK skills doesn't bother me that much.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm not sure which unique skills to pass on to Laurent and Gerome from their mothers. Should it be Demoiselle or Support Boost+?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Having Donnel getting one or two point levels (in MAG of all things) is something else I tell ya. :arghfist:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Karthe posted:

I have a question about the pairing system: do secondary units only gain EXP when they get in an attack during the primary unit's engagement? Pairing up units seems like it would handicap the joining character because they don't have as many opportunities to gain experience.

Not only that, they have to attack and deal damage to get credited for some EXP. That's where high support levels come in, the better the relationship between two characters, the more likely the support will jump in to attack.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Is there anyone who didn't choose to do that? I mean seriously.

I had no idea. I thought we had to choose one or the other. I guess I know what to do next around. :getin:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Edward:
Bronze Sword
Iron Sword

:flaccid:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Blorange posted:

Putting someone with miracle, vantage, counter and vengeance on your streetpass team could be hilarious, but I'm not sure what the 5th skill should be.

Lifetaker or Renewal. :getin:

I've got Brady rolling with Galeforce, Miracle, Lifetaker/Renewal, Lethality/Wrath, and Counter as a Beserker, so he's basically :killdozer: personified.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

And try to not have a character with a ranged weapon equipped nearby lest Gangrel get chumped attacking him/her the following turn.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

My first time through went like this: Chrom talked to him once; end turn. Enemy phase: he gets a tomahawk to the face from Vaike because attacking him was such a good idea. :allears:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Put those loving siege ballistas (ballistae?) back on the map. I liked making a big push towards those and then proceed to harpoon the poo poo out of enemy pegasus knights/wyvern riders as I make my way toward the map boss.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

To illustrate the point,

a while later after a lot more grinding,

So if I'm getting this right: if you grind out the parents, the kids' starting stats will be higher when you recruit them?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

My favourite Risen encounters are when you end up with two Risen on the same location

Those are the best fights. Though I wish they happened more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

theonlypie314SA posted:

The answer to the infamous "lack of feet" question:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/0...28Siliconera%29

So the real reason was laziness. :allears:

• Locked thread