Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Ahhpple posted:

A class is bound to their starting point on the skill tree.

Classes also start with different stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

Almost every build is viable. I have made melee witches, tank witches, bow witches, lightning/fire/frost/summoner/totem witches, minion suicide witches, aura stack support disco witches, blood magic witches, wand witches, chain fireball witches you name it.

The game is incredibly flexible, and it is remarkably hard to make an outright "unplayable" character.

You also get about 20 respec points just from playing, and you can find orbs that give you extras. You can easily respec over half your build if you need to without it being a huge expense.

Be careful what you say. Almost any playstyle can be made viable if you do it correctly, but poor execution will put you in a tight spot. Make sure to do at least a little basic planning.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Auras are skill gems.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

maniacripper posted:

I just got the game installed and it's awesome but my UI sprites are all kinds of garbled.

I played with all the video settings but it's all the same. Is there some way to force a consistency check?

I'm going off memory here, but I've heard that some aTI drivers force picmipping when they shouldn't. Check around in your driver settings for something like that.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Does Pain Attunement (30% more spell damage while on low life) work constantly if you have CI (1 life maximum)? I doubt it, but it'd be amazing if it did.

"Low life" is defined as being at 35% of your maximum. 1/1 is 100%, so that doesn't work. What does work, however, is Blood Magic gems on percentage health auras.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

jsr v2.0 posted:

I think I'm just going to reroll the ranger. I went heavy in to Evasion, Critical Hit Chance/Damage, and Increased Physical Damage. According to the GGG forums, those skills aren't worth it. I just wish I could delevel my Gems so my new character could use them without reaching level 32...

If you trade to a NPC an Orb of Scouring and the gem you want to delevel, it'll take a level off the gem. That's pretty expensive, though, and you're probably better off just getting the gem again on a new guy.

Also, never get acrobatics. It loving stinks. It makes your character worse in almost every circumstance.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

jsr v2.0 posted:

I know it's beaten to death, but this is the reason I like being able to respec. I just spent 2 days on a character that is essentially gimped, and the gems aren't re-usable until a much higher level. It's not a good feeling.

I was the same way at first too, but eventually, you grow to not mind restarting. There's something satisfying about starting over again and doing it right.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

If you're wondering whether x works with y, there are two places you can look to see whether it does.

Gems:

This gem has Fire, Projectile, Spell, and AoE as its attributes. Any passive skill regarding these attributes will work on this gem. If the skill regards an attribute that's not listed on the gem, then it won't work for the gem.

Weapons:

This is a Two-Handed Axe, so any passive skill that works on either two-handed weapons or axes will work for this.

I know this sounds really obvious, but a lot of people miss it.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

iamacyborg posted:

MI doesn't stop them from being able to tank, it just means they're still useful when they die.

It actually does, as MI doesn't make them blow up when they die, it makes them blow up when they're reduced to 35% or lower life. I disagree that it's "useless," but if you're using your minions primarily as a meatshield, it does sort of compromise that goal.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Don't go Chaos Inoculation unless you know exactly why you want it. A lot of builds recommend it because in closed beta, it gave a 50% energy shield bonus. It was extremely overpowered, so they just nerfed it into a more niche passive.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Liberatore posted:

With that said, have you looked at a diamond flask build? Diamond flasks are 80 charge, 80 charge per use flasks that put you at 100% critical chance for 1.5 seconds. You make a build that basically gets to use 5 of them at the same time, and cycle through them while you front load damage. Duelists are particularly suited to these builds due to easy access to Blood Magic and the skills to support it.

Diamond flasks are also not in the game anymore.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Glass cannons are very hard to make work in this game. Lay off on the offensive nodes for a bit and pick up some strength and/or energy shield.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Bugsy posted:

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/CharanJaydemyr

Looks like someone did it. People just love throwing crazy money at F2P games. And I thought the dude who bought 3 diamond uniques was nuts.

I think this is the guy who bought three diamond uniques.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

What happened to #pathgoons?

I leave it idle this afternoon and I come back and it's nonexistant!

Probably just caught it during a netsplit. It's there now.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Whee, died for the third time in the Frozen Abyss, but this time to the most egregious desync I've ever seen (absolutely nothing around me but the level architecture, and then suddenly I'm dead because a bunch of exploding enemies were apparently right next to me).

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I had absolutely no reason to do OOS. Should I just be sending it every second or something?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

What do I win?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Shamshel posted:

A very puckered rear end in a top hat. What did that to you?

Puncture from one of those dumb dogs in the Rocky Climb.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

devoir posted:

Anyone respec their melee Ranger/Shadow/Duelist to full evasion, maybe with Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics, to see how the changes stack up for being in the thick of things?

Only in A3 Cruel now, but this feels viable in Anarchy as long as you make Enfeeble your main curse to manage the spikes.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, suiciding through the game (especially if you're waiting in two minute increments to actually play), is boring. If someone is dying all the time, they're not going to think that it's a good thing. Instead, they'll try to figure out a way to fix it. It's the same way with killing speed - if you're not killing things fast enough, that's boring, so try to kill things faster because it's more fun.

If you make players wait 30 seconds to play again, there's a very good chance they'll just turn the game off. I do think the current death penalties are too high, so I'm fine with the new values.

As for the dude who's complaining about GGG making the game easier - they're not. There's a difference between difficulty and penalty. Changing the experience penalty does nothing to the difficulty as evidenced by the fact that a mode with the same difficulty level but a different punishment level is unchanged. This change will let softcore players enjoy playing a little more without making it boring for them (as some punishment level is necessary to keep the game fun) while keeping the game the same for the hardcore players, which only seems like a good thing.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Which global channel should the goon channel be?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Better luck next time, DischargeApple!

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Why does everyone run Facebreaker when Pillar of the Caged God is straight up better?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

TheDuke posted:

Are crit cold witch builds still viable? Just started leveling up my first "real" character, and realized the build I was basing it off hadn't been updated in several months. Only about halfway through normal act two, so obviously I'm doing alright. Ttk isn't amazing, but haven't even really touched on the + crit nodes yet. Really like the idea of a caster without depending on summons/totems, but don't want to sink too much time into this build if it's not going to pan out.

What's the build, specifically?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

:gonk:

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is there any particular place I can go to, up to and including Act 1 Merciless as a summoner to farm up better stuff? I kind of just blindly stumbled my way here and blindly stumbling isn't working anymore.

Also: I saw Mon'tregul's Grasp for the first time earlier. Is dual-wielding them as incredible as it seems it would be?

Because drat.

Merciless Ledge is a popular place to farm if you can't get to Docks.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I want to come up with my own builds as well, (which is a big part of the draw to this game for me) but if this guy is on to something I want to know what he is doing right and what he is doing wrong so I can better plan my Templar.

One of the first things in the post:

"Build enabler: Shavronnes wrappings ... do not attempt this build without it"

Shavronne's Wrappings is one of the most expensive and sought-after items in the game (it was going for like, 25-30 ex when I was last playing). Aside from that, it DOES look strong, but, again, it's not something you can reasonably build as a newer player.

Also, the current leagues (like ladders from D2) are ending soon and will be replaced with new ones on the 23rd with a huge content patch. I recommend not getting too attached to your current character if you wanna participate in the new stuff. There's no wipes, but your character will be moved to the standard league where the economy is much less healthy and there are fewer features.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Nagna Zul posted:

Wait, what's wrong with standard league? I don't want to start over so soon, I just reached merciless difficulty. How exactly is the economy "unhealthy"?

Honestly, disregard what I said. When everyone gets dumped from Anarchy into Standard, the economy is going to go crazy in unpredictable ways, so we'll have to wait and see.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I really wish GGG would let me play with Scion builds on their passive tree already.

The passive builder draws from the same data that the game servers do, and they'd rather work on the patch itself rather than try to change the system to give people a preview. It sucks, but I think that's the right choice.

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 10, 2013

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Later parts of the game look pretty nice. The earlier areas could definitely use a bit of an overhaul, though, as they certainly are a lot more boring looking.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I definitely agree that the game lacks some of the visceral "whump" that really makes games feel good. I think they expect screen shake to provide a lot of that, but for players like me who have to turn it off because we find it nauseating, it can lose some of that edge.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

There are also a ton of minion-related unique items that are absolutely essential later as well, it helps to have a decent sized wallet.

Eh, I wouldn't say that any of the minion uniques are essential, nor are they at all expensive (though I haven't played lately, so I don't know the price of the newest one). In fact, minion builds are probably among the cheapest end-game viable builds in the game.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Godinster posted:

I'm basically just chasing that D2 feeling of upgrading gear with reasonable repetition but actually getting gear upgrades. I also dig the idea of an actual economy where there are rare, valuable high tier items, similar to D2 in where you'd plateau but high end stuff was still actually worth something.

Is that basically PoE?

Yes. PoE's item system is very similar to D2's, though it brings a ton of its own improvements (the flask [potion] system is particularly genius). The main things you have to get used to in PoE compared to D3 is the camera (it's at a higher angle and feels more zoomed in) and the pace of combat (it's a lot slower at early levels, though it does pick up toward the end-game).

Godinster posted:

Also if I make a character is it going to carry over or do I need to start new in 8 days? I'll try either way

It carries over, but there's going to be the equivalent to a ladder reset in eight days, so if you wanna get in on that, you'll need to make a new character.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

whypick1 posted:

It's one big server with globally distributed login portals (US, UK? and Singapore).

Well, each zone you enter creates an instance to a server based on which login portal you select. I know this because when I play with my AU friend, my ping is 300 instead of my usual 70.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Sloober posted:

Guess they don't intend you to ever really have more than 2 auras now, that is a big change.

They said that there will be a multiplicative cost reduction passive behind the Blood Magic keystone, and are hyping it up to sound very, very strong.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Nope! It's a surprise!

I believe the only one they've shown in any screenshots or videos is "Berserker", which is obviously not very descriptive.

There's also "Fracturing", which also is an unknown right now.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Sloober posted:

I was hoping they'd make arctic breath not a crap skill. I wanted to make a character that was based off it but the damage is not impressive and the skulls have really whack collision and tend to hit things that they weren't even close to hitting. The damage is crap, the area the damage affects is crap, and the only thing it has going for it is the frozen ground effect which is just a slow.

Maybe in the future? I liked the idea of skullsplosions :(

Also curious about tempest shield because if that's still 60% reservation that is nuts for what you get.

Tempest Shield isn't an aura, so it probably won't be changing.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

MacDeuce posted:

Attached to Blood Magic is a 30% Reduced Mana Reservation node

Less, not reduced.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Did some math on aura cost reservation:

60% * .25 (total mana reduced by nodes on the tree plus a max level Reduced Mana gem is 75% reduction) *.7 (from Mortal Conviction) means that your auras will cost 10.5% (7% for Purity) of your maximum health if you go all-in on it. That seems pretty viable for an aura platform character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

melon farmer posted:

Currency stuff

You should also note that the new leagues do not have increased item quantity outside of a few uniques, so the amount of currency that drops will be lower and therefore probably worth more relative to the items.

• Locked thread