Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, this game is great.

It sucks that I have to beat the game once to play a Scion though. The super hybrid is a really appealing idea.

About how long does it take to beat the game on normal? Or Domination, which is what it stuck me in by default?

I have a level 7 Witch right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was loving around with the skill calculator, and came up with this for a Frost Witch. Not gonna lie, I just really like the idea of the Chaos Inoculation skill.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Xaris posted:

I was running an Frost Witch during the open beta (although I wasn't decked out or super high level or anything). Just some little advice on some things.

Just some recs:
1) You have a couple +10 Int dead sinks near the top and near Bloodthirst,.
2) Breath of Rune and Increased Chilled Duration isn't worth it because applying chill is very easy. Frozen Duration is kinda useful to have though. I would not bother going past Deep Thoughts until much much later, if at all. If I do, it would be to grab +1 Curse.
3) I would actually recommend getting Nimbelness. Extra Cast Speed helps a lot. It might be worth it to head down to the Scion start from here and pickup Harrier and other Cast Speed passives too.
4) You should pickup the starting +% Crit passives if you're going to get the Bloodthirst Crit circle as its closer and one gives +25%
5) Similarly, pick up the extra +10% Energy Shield stuff near the start.

How's this look?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

melon farmer posted:

Unfortunately, pain attunement treats "low" life as a % of your maximum life, whereas chaos inoculation puts you at 1/1 all the time (except when you're dead) so they don't synergize. Most builds that use pain attunement permanently put themselves "on low-life" by reserving auras off of their life by linking them to a blood magic gem. But then, chaos damage becomes a huge concern. So, these low-life builds either avoided all chaos damage areas entirely (you will never find chaos damage in Piety's Lunaris Temple, for example) and were just farming characters, or tried to obtain the incredibly rare and highly desired Shavronne's Wrappings.

Beyond that: are you the type of player that gets discouraged by hitting a wall? or is the roguelike feeling of incremental success a cool thing that, assuming the gameplay is good, you can dig? If it's the latter, then jump in, freeze bitches until the game gets hard, then learn/get some gear/try again. If it's the former, then check out any of the official forums guides to get a feel for some builds, and/or there are a lot of people here (me) that will post words for days about builds.

Happy hunting!

Honestly, I am just trying to have some fun while I beat the game once so I can roll a Scion. Good tip about the Pain Attunement thing though, that was the whole reason I took it :P

I do like the idea of Choas Innoculation though. Immunity to Chaos Damage, and pump myself full of Energy Shield. I'm also having a blast smoking hordes of skeletons with Ice Nova (the caster-centered ice-aoe thing).

I originally wanted to go fire magic, but the game gave me exactly one fire spell gem (fireball) until after I had to choose which of the 3 elements to buff (frost/fire/lightning walker)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Didn't realize orange was unique. I found one about 2 hours in yesterday...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Apple Craft posted:

I play this game on Steam and I am getting terrible loading time when I start the game. Like seriously, it's taking minutes for the login screen to come up. After that, everything is gravy.

Is this issue unique to the Steam client? Is there a known fix?

I'm playing through Steam, and while there is a short delay to load (it just displays the GGG logo), its on the level of 15-20 sec, not minutes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, I'm level 25. About halfway through Act 2 I think. My current build is here: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMEBwelF1QigSycLL8tHz1fSbJMs1JTVa5WSm0ZghCCHohCjjyVBJeVl_Seoa-bwcXB89-w

Once I pick up the Energy Shield nodes past CI, and Doom Cast, where should I go? I'm not having any trouble right now, I have 3 zombies that roll with me simply because a skelly gem dropped, but my actual tactics are "run into the middle of the mob and spam Ice Nova" or, on bosses, "Spam Ice Pulse"

What actually synergizes with CI?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

10bux posted:

Typically, you don't go CI until like level 70 or so. You will get destroyed in cruel as CI. Level with life, then re-spec into CI later on if you still want it.

Oh, well this character is just meant to get me through to unlocking the Scion.

I always prefer the blank slate characters in games that offer that choice. I was pretty annoyed that it has to be unlocked. I'd honestly rather have paid $5. At least then I would be funding development while getting what I wanted.

But yeah, I might just back out of CI for now, and start plugging away toward some life nodes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
New player's first time on nemesis: http://www.twitch.tv/onlymezza

It'll be interesting to see how far she gets.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Slightly off topic, but are Twitch "raids" really a thing? OnlyMezza was streaming Nemesis last night, when 100+ people jumped in the chat spamming ASCII macros and links to a remix of the Space Jam theme song. They wouldn't quit until she played it for them. (she did, and danced)

It was the most bizzare thing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Internet Friend posted:

Typically when somebody stops streaming they'll try to send their viewers to somebody else, either just as a suggestion or a raid like that.

Oh, I guess it was some dude named Kripp? It's highlighted....

e: first page content...Whats a fun easy Scion build I can gently caress around with? I like ranged things and hate minions.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Kripp doesn't do raids, it's creepy people in his chat/mumble that creep on girls who play PoE and harass them.

Oh, well it was pretty funny and she took it well. No harm done I guess?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bovineicide posted:

I take it you weren't in her stream when a bunch of nerds started proposing to her :stare:

Jesus no. When was this?!

Wonder if that has something to do with her not streaming tonight...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What the gently caress? I am off for a week for school crap, and got purged? I did the donut bit for the first purge, why was there a 2nd so soon?!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rad Dog Turbo posted:

Just for you, Annath.

Ok, but seriously, I expected like one per month if that...

Oh well, I'm not too hung up on it, it just came as a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

10bux posted:

You can get back in whenever you want. The guild filled up and people wanted in, purge!

There was like 10 days notice prior.

Has there been more than one purge then? Because I totally put the donut message in my status, and I don't think its been 10 days since I was last on...but then again I've been super busy with IRL stuff that I may have completely lost track of time.

As for getting back in, I'd love to. I'll re-message someone tomorrow, for now I'm trying to power through act 3.

• Locked thread