Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Reverend Catharsis posted:

I admit I'm rather curious as to what the OFFAL can actually do but I.. I haven't heard anything about any games being developed for it anywhere. A friend of mine said they were making a cube zombie shooter or some such one of their big openers but outside of us strange people who trawl the internets like shrimp boat workers, has anybody remotely important in the games industry even heard of these people?

Square-Enix is porting over a FF game to Ouya, one of the ones they already released on Android. I can't imagine support for that title is much more than an intern sitting in a corner of S-E's studio's saving his work every 5 minutes since the Ouya is crashing in 10 minutes when under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

Should we have some kind of bet on which date they'll announce a launch delay? 17 days out and they couldn't even show us a final product. The OS is still being made. Forget games. They haven't even finished the loving OS.

I originally called the OHHELLNAH Bitcoins the Console when I first heard about it. Now it's about to enter the BFL stage of delays and damage control.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

"This is not special" and "games not made by developers" would kill literally any other project dead. The fact that there was $8.5 million dollars worth of support for this idea makes me desperately want to get on kickstarter with literally every awful idea I've ever had.

I always wanted to make a cellphone that doubled as a religion so that the money you pay into your monthly contract directly ties into your spiritual wellbeing.

The whole games not made by developers thing is more of a recent development, when the OOPSIPOOPEDMYPANTS first debuted, half the early backers figured it was finally the time for the video game industry to tell the Big 3 to gently caress off and make games on the utopia console where they can finally realize their visions of making the absolute best twin stick pixel zombie shooter ever. The other half had no intention of ever buying a game and was just going to use it to pirate Android games and use it for XBMC. They also released that hilarious survey that gave true believers a hope that games like Skyrim and Battletoads were possibly on Ouya. Well at least one of them is.

Now that reality is setting in and anyone who has a clue at all doesn't want anything to do with the OOHITBURNS all that's left are basement dwellers who can't even get past Steam Greenlight.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

How much do they sell the ZIZI controller for anyway?

They sell it for 50 bucks. Yeah. Half the price of the console into a poo poo controller with build quality that rivals PS1 era MadCatz gear.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

01011001 posted:

Wait, the controller itself is aluminum? What the hell, that's probably going to get uncomfortable just from sweaty hands and body temperature after awhile.

Well they originally planned on the system being aluminum. What actually comes out, who knows. Wouldn't aluminum also make the actual case significantly hotter than it would be if it continues to be plastic, possibly roasting the insides of the console, or were the LEON engineers actually smart with the design of the cooling on it? All I know about aluminum in electronics comes from Macbook Pros turning into toaster ovens during use and those are designed by the best consumer electronics engineers in the world.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

w00tazn posted:

How fast till users pirate games on the OHYA? "a nanosecond?.?"

OHNO's won't likely have a choice but to pirate games, I can't imagine whatever storefront the sophmores from ITT Tech that Julie Urhman hired will hold up for more than a couple seconds when it goes live.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

What happens when this thing comes out and the feds take every penny ever seen by this company because they don't follow any tax laws because no one knows what the gently caress they're doing?

When the judge sentences Julie Urhman for tax evasion, when he slams his gavel he can scream out OUYA!

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're implying that they'll actually ship the units. Don't be silly.

I think they will ship units. Not all of them though and the ones that do ship will have some type of engineering fault leading to extremely high death rates. That's a lot better than not shipping at all.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

NewtGoongrich posted:

You heard wrong! It's a day one purchase for anyone interested in gaming.

That's what I would say if we lived in an alternate university where the Ouya wasn't an obvious scam.

Now to give the Ouya people credit, it's not a scam, they look to have no intention to run out with kickstarter backer money. It's just a dumb project started by overly idealistic morons that have no clue on what makes a successful console, so instead of at least running off to the Cayman Islands rich as gently caress, they are going to be broke and living in a house made of the plastic shells of dead Ouya consoles.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

So theoretically anyone with a dev kit Ouya right now should have access to the proper Ouya store since today is the launch day? Can't wait for someone to attempt to buy a game from it and get their bank account closed because they get quintuple charged.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 28, 2013

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

So why do I have the feeling that the Ouya staff only had enough money to make like, one-fifth of the consoles and they are waiting for a surge of money from the app store to be able to make the rest?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Tribute posted a picture that I guess might be the store? https://twitter.com/TributeGames/status/317425383484059649

It doesn't seem to be up for most people, but maybe they can see it 'cause they have a game up. Pictured are Puddle, Saturday Morning RPG, Stalagflight, Wizorb, Canabalt, and Knightmare Tower.

Stalagfight, Canabalt, and Knightmare tower are all free browser games, albeit good ones. In addition, SMRPG is originally a mobile game and Wizorb comes from XBLIG. Puddle's from XBLA/PSN/etc.

So basically not a single OOPSIPOOPEDMYPANTS exclusive title? Exclusive titles being the whole point of buying consoles in the first place.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do you think that maybe one of the core reasons we don't see a lot of devices at the $100 price point that are good consoles and good media devices is because it's unreasonable to expect a $100 device to do both of those things well?

Given that the controller is being sold at $50, what if they had just not packed it with a controller at all and spent that extra money on actual hardware and software developers?

This goes back to something I said weeks ago. Ostensibly, these guys are trying to develop an ecosystem. Why do they have to manufacture a custom controller to develop an ecosystem?

I'm almost certain the controller is being sold at high margins to help make up what has to be razor thin margins on the console itself, first party console accessories are always way overpriced compared to how much they actually cost to make because it's one of the biggest money makers they have. They also had to make their own controller to get one with a touchpad on it so it could be used to control all the Android apps that presume you have a touch screen, only the recently unveiled PS4 controller has one as well and that's still months out from anyone being able to actually buy one.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Unboxing video at Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/01/ouya-unboxing/

It's actually intentional that the controller faceplate is half-off. It's actually intentional. It's intentional.

It's.

Intentional.

:psyduck:

Well that's one way to compensate for how hilariously awful the engineering on the controller is, because who would have guessed that's how you put batteries in the drat thing.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

So let me get this straight, instead of doing all the purchases through the Ouya storefront itself, apps themselves can request and process your credit card information? I just can't fathom that actually being something remotely possible, but it's the Ouya and anything's possible when you're completely inept. If that's true, someone is going to exploit the everloving hell out of it.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

XboxPants posted:

They won't. There will be some new games that either run better on the new hardware, or only run on the new hardware. Most games will run fine on the old hardware, but some won't. Hawken mobile can run on a T4 but not a T3, for instance.

The "OUYA 2" isn't meant for owners of the current system. They'll be fine. Look to the phone market to see how this plays out; one or two year old phones play 99% of new games just fine. The "OUYA 2" is for new buyers.

Look at it this way. If a Tegra 3 OUYA-like device is 10 points of value, then a Tegra 4 OUYA-like device is 11 points. If you already own a Tegra 3 OUYA, there's no reason to shell out another $99 just to get a slightly better system. But if you're a new customer making a purchase decision between two OUYA-likes, you're going to get the better one, even if it's only a slight improvement.

An OUYA 2 in my mind is more like the Sega 32X to the Sega Genesis, not like the Xbox 360 to the Xbox. In a situation where the OUYA 2 is the 32X of its generation, there is going to be little reason to actually develop for it. Incremental upgrades like the 32X generally don't offer enough of a benefit for developers, they know that not every person who owned an OUYA 1 will buy one so it makes little sense to optimize for OUYA 2, since that does cost money and time to do so and on top of making an option to downport to OUYA 1 so they'll just make an OUYA 1 game, make sure it loads on OUYA 2 and be done with. It's better to make sure the game works on all OUYA's, so design for OUYA 1.

There will be no reason to buy an OUYA 2 as a consumer if games will continue to be optimized for OUYA 1 because unlike cell phones, there is no other reason to upgrade to an OUYA 2 other than to play games on it. Cell phones have all kinds of other features worth upgrading that makes people continue to upgrade them on their 2 year cycles. So games like Hawken can be made to run on Tegra 4 because there will be a large amount of Tegra 4 devices in the wild, the OUYA 2 will end up having a fraction of the market the OUYA 1 has (oh boy, imagine having only a fraction of the OUYA 1 market) making it a worthless investment for developers, just like how developers ignored things like the 32X, Jaguar CD and other such contraptions meant to extend the life of the previous console instead of being its own device in a new ecosystem.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So this crap is suppose to be retail today correct? Why haven't we heard anything from OUYA inc. Is this where they go dark while searching for more investors or other jobs?

June 25th, so tomorrow is supposedly the official retail release. My understanding is all that means is that if you've preordered an Ouya from a retail store you can go pick one up, but places like Gamestop are supposedly not stocking Ouyas outside of that.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pick one account and stick with it Awful Dreamzle. It;s just shameful to swap around at this point.

He should treat Aweful Dreams and Dreamzle as the personal and business accounts to his name, much like the venerable BFL_Josh and Inaba before him.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

73% of all Ouya owners haven't paid for a game. That's absolutely amazing. The best selling and most promoted game on the system on the system couldn't afford to pay it's staff for more than a couple months at best. Every other game must not even be able to pay off development costs. Many game devs will never see money from their game because they won't sell enough to make the quota Ouya has to cut a check. This this is failing in most spectacular way imaginable.

Secret of Universe Alpha would basically have to be the best selling game on Ouya to break even. Hope you like food stamps Dreamzle.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

I apparently got credit for that picture in the article because of my Youtube comment "Thanks for Relieving!" I've done my part in the history of this console now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The guys at MOGOtxt have eventually fully funded their NFL game project for android, iOS (and OUYA) with their own funds. So now I guess either they let the campaign end and we'll see if OUYA participates into the scam because they desperately need games and visibility, either they cancel it.

14 days to go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o

Kinda hoping that Ouya gives them their money and both MOGOtxt's money and Ouya's money ends up going to the NFLPA when the game eventually gets sued for using NFL players without consent, because god knows some indy bullshit title doesn't have a proper NFLPA license.

E: Just noticed this about the "screenshots", the Score ticker they have is exactly the same across all of them so yeah, all that's poo poo is photoshopped. But hey, it's not like the Ouya isn't known to get their money based on bullshit renders.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 25, 2013

• Locked thread