Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So I got too impatient to wait for the next anime episode and I decided to read the manga instead. Good stuff - I never get tired of Joseph being an idiot, so I really look forward to the Maria fight! Not to mention the insanity that the Dio fight must be animated. But seriously...

Part 4 is so much better than 3 :allears:

I got somewhat tired of the endless series of battles that was Stardust Crusaders, and I'm kinda wary how they're probably going to drag out some fights to make them 2 or even 3 episodes. Part 4 just hits the right notes for me - I'd even say the Hand dude is a greater comic relief than Polnareff! Just amazing stands all around.

...kinda felt bad for poor Joseph, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aaaaaand finished Part 4. :dance: Such an awesome arc - I loved all those bizarre stands, and how most of them had another appearance later down the road! Price for the biggest goddamn weirdo in the arc goes to crazy survivalist tower dude. Really, the story could've gone on forever, with no central threat whatsoever, and I would've read it!

Although I just plain couldn't figure out Echoes Act 3. The previous forms all made sense - everything's about comic sound effects -, but Act 3 just suddenly... makes people heavy...? Uh, that one came out of nowhere. At least Kira's time reset was explicitly a new ability from the arrow, and it tied into the whole bomb theme. Oh well. At least it was a sassy stand!

Also, now I'm picturing a pocket dimension where everything that Vanilla Ice and the Hand erased ends up. So there's Abdul, chilling without hands, and several years some jackass throws a bomb in there. I don't care that Abdul's explicitly dead, this is funnier. :haw:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

On to part 5 now. And, holy poo poo... I just got the joke with Narancia and his stand Aerosmith. :stare:

You have no idea for how long I thought he was just a lady and nobody commented on that

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished with Part 5 now. I'll just start with the obvious thing that absolutely everyone will have heard a billion times already:

What the gently caress was up with King Crimson?

I gathered it works like this: King Crimson constantly sees ten seconds into the future, and if he doesn't like what's happening there, he goes "NOPE" and starts evading. However, during those ten seconds, everything else continues as if King Crimson hadn't seen the future... only at the end, King Crimson erases that time so that nobody remembers, and kinda merges himself back into the regular timestream. Meaning he can do whatever he wants while everything happens normally - he stays in the equation, while simultaneously telling the equation to go gently caress itself and doing his own thing.

What I don't get is how he could kill Narancia. Previously, King Crimson only removed himself from the "equation" - he moves just to the exact spot to deliver a devastating surprise attack, he flicks his own blood into people's faces, he deletes the exact time that a bullet spends travelling through his body... Basically exactly like Dio's The World, only much, much better defensively. Goddammit, and just when I thought I understood that Stand! :mad:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

okay, should've seen that one coming

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Watch the Futurama episode Futurama. That's literally exactly how King Crimson operates.

You mean the one with the mutated super basketball players where there's constant timejumps and nobody knows what happened during those jumps? I saw that explanation several times... only there's no dude who can remove himself from causality during those time frames, and and and

You know what, I'm sticking with my explanation. Makes perfect sense to me, except for Narancia's death...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I more or less see it happening like this.

King Crimson when no one is looking grabs Naracia and throws him onto the fence with his super speed. He then skips time. Everyone gets ultra confused for a tiny bit meanwhile everything that would have happened during that skipped time still happens. Meaning for 10 seconds Naracia was impaled on the fence before anyone noticed.

Okay, this is a much saner explanation... I guess King Crimson really killed Naracia the "normal" way (like any freakishly strong and fast psychic punchman would), and due to time skips before/after, nobody - including Naracia, probably! - noticed. Thinking about it that way, King Crimson isn't that complicated. He's just confusing the hell out of people, and his defense is literally unbeatable...

Unless you have a Requiem Stand, I guess. The two we got to see in Part 5 were so incredibly overpowered, maybe more than King Crimson even (no you're asleep / no you didn't do that respectively). So you need a broken (!) arrow to pierce the Stand? Is that why the Echoes Act 3 dude in the beginning didn't suddenly get a Requiem Stand even though he got stabbed by Black Sabbath's arrow? Speaking of which, that dude and Jotaro kinda dropped from the story after that...

Polnareff totally would've beaten Diavolo if he had any time to control his own Stand, though. :colbert:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished Part 6, now.

To be honest, I kinda disliked Part 5. Giorno was boring as poo poo, his powers didn't make any sense before they eventually settled on just creating small creatures and being the white mage, the tie-in to Part 4 didn't go anywhere, Diavolo was somewhat uninteresting despite his crazy Stand and the multiple personality gimmick, and it felt like there were more inconsistencies and plotholes than normal... Not to mention that the plot took some weird turns, as if the author changed his mind multiple times - the virus fist dude leaves and never plays a part again, the drug business stays in the background despite being such a huge motivator (Diavolo even gets one of several karmic deaths for that one!), the time dude's sacrifice means absolutely nothing since Polnareff immediately contacts the gang afterwards, Giorno's heritage never matters at all, and Trish was a walking wasted opportunity. Of course, it's still great - JoJo craziness, the actual main character Bruno, awesome fights all around, King Crimson, utterly stupid names... And although they're so overpowered they're immediately removed from the story, the Requiem Stands are - in concept - pretty rad.

But Part 6, holy poo poo :stare:

Kira is such a great villain - not to mention the most stylish one, I have to get that tie somewhere -, but Pucci's definitely up there as well. Probably the most hateable villain so far - I loved how he kept going on about fate and "you're actually my allies! :shepface: ". And despite his bizarre hair, he's not even a fashion victim! And maybe it's just me, but the fights felt much more visceral and brutal this time around - I hope we get an animated version of the Westwood fight some day ("GAME SET" :black101:). The Feng Shui dude and the son of DIO with the Underworld power were maybe peak-nonsensical, but other parts were so incredibly stupid and thus rad (subliminal effect through rainbows, WTF) that I didn't mind. Interesting powers all around, really. Also, it had such a great ending. When Pucci came after Emporio in the prison, while ranting about how his newly created universe is going to be - just reading that in comic from actually gave me chills. Again, I hope this gets animated, including the beatdown afterwards. The plot felt much more coherent as well; I got spoiled on the fact that the JoJo dies ages ago, but I was pleased to see that no-one got straight-up punked - everyone somehow played a part in Pucci's ultimate defeat. And weirdly enough, Made in Heaven was actually pretty easy to understand. Huh.

One thing, though. What happened after Pucci got killed? The way I got it, everybody now knows their fate, due to having experienced an entire universe "in spirit" before. Pucci plans on reaching the Kenney Space Center again, but this time he won't speed up time, since he alone can change fate; but everyone still has visions of their fate, so everything's cool forever. But since Pucci screws up and enables Emporio to kill him despite how it's fated, everything will happen now as before, meaning: time will speed up again, and we have another reset...
But somehow, the old gang is back with new identities? So, uh, instead of another reset with Made in Heaven - which should replace Pucci, since he got killed -, we have another fate entirely. Did the universe just have absolutely no idea how to deal with this anymore, or what? Is it just a general "Stand user died, so crazy poo poo happens"? The closest I got to explaining this was that Pucci got punked and his Stand collapsed, destroying fate with it - meaning that something entirely new can happen; a "new" fate. Being killed by Made in Heaven/its previous forms actually brought the gang back in some form and tied them together through fate; except for poor F.F., I guess, because Pucci hadn't fused with Green Baby yet before killing her.
Really, I'm just guessing here. I'm cool with the ending being as ambiguous as it is, though (even Emporio doesn't know what the hell, he just does what everyone wants to see happen to that smug fucker Pucci). Rad as hell.

R.I.P. Jolyne, the most metal of all JoJo's. :911: Looking forward to Part 7!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Basically, Pucci stopped the cycle just short of a full completion so he could kill Emporio at the moment they were both in the same location and he was alone -- the prison. Now, this would have been a good idea, except for the fact that Emporio had the Weather Report disc, and Pucci didn't know that. So once Pucci was killed, the not-quite-complete universe had to account for that, and recreated itself as if Pucci never existed. Thus, we get Jolyne Irene, and Annasui Annakiss.

Eh, I don't know. In the last chapter, Pucci says something along the lines of "If I die, the fate of mankind will be altered". I thought that simply means that fate has changed from that point on; the entire story we've read so far would resume, only without Pucci and thus differently. After all, he's the only one who can change fate; he basically only needs to exist until Cape Canaveral for everything to stay the same, so that humanity can make use of its awesome foreknowledge (that may be the actual greatest benefit of Made in Heaven: omniscience... of a single certain "fate"). I'd assume that his death would simply lead to a changed timeline, not to the complete reset of the existing universe, but - well - there we go.

So I wouldn't say there's any not-quite-complete universes around, and I don't think changed fate needs to be taken into account. After all, "fate" would deal just fine with a dead Emporio, if Pucci's to be believed (maybe he counts as "small details"). That's why I'm confused why the timeline didn't simply continue at that point, and why I guessed the entire first timeline was somehow linked to Made in Heaven and the people it killed. There has to be some sort of connection to the very first timeline.

But I notice I'm already putting normal words into "quotation marks", so I think I'll leave it at that...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just a few chapters into Part 7, but...

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Did I just see the name Stroheim on the list of first race winners? Is this really happening?

I am so loving stoked for this you have no idea

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aaaaaand done with Part 7.

What an awesome arc. :allears: It's great to have a smaller main team this time around - the dynamic between Johnny and Gyro was great! I really should've seen this coming from miles away, but I was still sad to see Gyro get Zeppeli'd. Valentine was a great villain, entirely different than all before him, with a hugely entertaining power. Others said it before - Hot Pants + DIO vs. Valentine is one of the highlights of this arc. And, of course, the final fight Johnny vs. Valentine was metal as gently caress. A rotation so perfect you rotate for all of infinity.

Still - this part had the strange problem of simultaneously being too long and too short. I really could've done without another DIO (which means, we've seen a total of four DIOs this arc!), even though the sudden appearance of The World was a hilarious twist. I would've been more satisfied if another established character filled that role... hell, even Pocoloco, who did a grand total of gently caress ALL despite being so prominent in the start. (They never thoroughly explained his ability, and I'd like to have seen him get closure...) I was also somewhat disappointed with Hot Pants' death - she dies, and that's it, no-one really comments on it. It's also weird how the story (not the epilogue) ends with Johnny straight-up losing - not even a loss that helps someone else win, just a loss (due to dumb luck on Dio's part with his fangirls, no less). It really feels like most of the battle Johnny vs. DIO v.4 after the climactic Valentine fight should've been tossed, with some more time to deal with other characters' aftermath. Oh well.

Nonetheless, awesome characters + fights! DI(n)O was incredibly fun and an entertaining rear end in a top hat to boot (poor Wekapipo, his death was hilariously dickish), the fake-out with Sandman was great fun, and Valentine's ability was entertaining on the level of Another One Bites The Dust and Made In Heaven. For some reason, the eleven hitmen who could hide in each other's tattoos stood out to me: such a simple and basic ability, and such a brutal fight - it was basically a super-bloody, awesome shootout with a bitter-sweet ending, and I loved the whole fight. Such a great concept. Also, it's a shame Lucy's Stand (?) didn't get used more... Speaking of her: for a character who spends most of her time half-naked and leered at, she was actually pretty drat competent/influental! It was great to see someone without (almost) any superpowers play such a huge role. Too bad the plot pretty much shat on her constantly.

On to Part 8. I don't know what I'll do if there is no more JoJo left for me to read. It'll probably involve a crappy Stand Generator on the internet.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I like to think the whole reason that the last Diego in part 7 died was actually because of Pocoloco. If he hadn't died, Pocoloco wouldn't have won the race, so through Hey Ya's pure luck Lucy happened to arrive just at the same time Diego did.

You know, given how little we saw of that guy, we never really found out just what the limits of his Stand are. Hell, the Stand itself says he will succeed at whatever he tries, at least in the end! Who knows, it might be the most powerful Stand of all time - Pocoloco just has to try to achieve something...

Imagine that, a guy who will succeed at anything he tries, but is too much of a lazy fucker to try at all :haw:

You know what, I'm going with that explanation. If only because I want closure for that guy so badly. Just, like... give me a panel where he realizes he hasn't really achieved anything, despite his wealth. Even that Japanese dude who only existed for the Sandman fakeout got one...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So! I finished all that's out for Part 8, so far. Definitely curious how this will go.

Still - something just... weirds me out about this one. Did I get this right - the Kira in this world is actually a JoJo? And our titular character, before his weird mixup, wasn't? And now suddenly there aren't just Stand users, but also actual stone humans/beings...?

This is getting weirder by the chapter. I'm digging the whole approach with the mysterious, allied-but-probably-not family, and Josuke is an incredibly entertaining JoJo. And of course, I love it when the series goes of the rails and treats other activities with the same drama as fierce battles... Bug battles and extortion street, yay. I hope the girl actually gets to do something in the future besides sleeping and getting into rape cars.

Also, poor Johnny. :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, these ones are giving me trouble. First one is Green Baby, I guess. No clue about the second one... Would've guessed Tusk Lv.4, but we had that one already.

Let's see here... The World, Killer Queen, no clue, King Crimson and Mandom?

These are surprisingly fun!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Josuke not using his ability to fix poo poo he could easily fix is one of the reasons I like him. It's like he (or araki) forgot that things like rohan's house or koichi's money or that one dude's cell phone could be fixed so suddenly it's funnier in hindsight.

You mention those but not Kira's button? :v:

Eh, I guess it's a mixture of Josuke being a dumbass, the author forgetting the details or specifics of Crazy Diamond's power. After all, what's the biggest thing we've ever seen Josuke fix? Maybe he can only repair a certain "volume" of stuff. Uuuuuh, and maybe Josuke actually has to KNOW what something was before he fixes it; I don't think he ever repairs something that he didn't see before. There seems to be a link between what he fixes and how he perceives it, after all, since stuff gets deformed if he's pissed off. Since Josuke didn't know who the button belonged to before they actually realized who Kira was, Crazy Diamond might not have been able to fix it.

...speaking of power inconsistencies, I just remembered another one! At some point, Josuke says that, if something is fragmented, the parts always return to the largest mass once repaired. But when Okuyasu loses his hand to Red Hot Chili Peppers and Josuke drags him back by "healing" his hand, it should actually happen the other way around - the hand zooms back to Okuyasu! In fact, that's just what happens with Kira's hand later on...

Who knows! Kind of a shame we never saw Josuke in the story again, though (and never will, seems like) - he's probably my favorite JoJo of them all, barely edging out Joseph! Speaking of which, how come Joseph never tried spotting Kira with Hermit Purple? Does he have to know who he's looking for, and he could (theoretically) have spotted Red Hot Chili Peppers because they'd seen the Stand?

Aaaaaaaaaaaah

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

JoJo, in regards to style, was at its best during Part 4. There was a varied-looking main cast (Josuke, Jotaro, Okuyasu, Koichi are all easily distinguishable by faces alone), Kira was stylish as hell in both versions, and most people wore something that actually resembles clothes somewhat. Since then, those dang beautiful men with perfect skin and luscious lips have invaded every single character design. Seems to me one kind of homoeroticism has slowly eclipsed the other. (But then again, there's the entire first fight of JoJolion...?)

...there, I just wrote that

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

The only time I ever got a little squeamish in all of Jojo was when Jolyne was getting huge chunks of her arms and legs blown out by the metorite stand.

It's really weird - right before the fight against Westwood, we get Sports Max, who not only has an incredibly retarded name but also a bloody and downright nasty battle. But somehow, Westwood tops that. It's just such a brutal, visceral fight - it's not even like the stands are doing the fighting, like with Jotaro & co, it's two brawlers smacking the poo poo out of each other while super powers intervene. It's one of those scenes where you keep turning the pages faster and faster because you just can't believe the sheer awesome brutality, and it keeps escalating. Before I die, I want to see this fight animated. I don't care if you have to skip all of Part 5 to get there. Just do it.

Of course, right afterwards came the incredibly retarded Feng Shui dude, so... uh.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

The feng shui dude owns because his stand is just all "yeah whatever, I'm just a third party, don't mind me."

Then after that is yoyoma which is just all kinds of special.

Well, the Stand has attitude, I'll give you that. Everything else? Super confusing stand, FF basically achieves nothing before Anasui wins the fight for her in one hit, and the concept of Feng Shui Assassination is so marvellously stupid it stands out even among other pseudoscience stuff that JoJo loves so much... Only somehow, it's just random bullshit instead of nonsensically awesome. The whole stand should've been just the "touching the dragon" thing, that might've made it more bearable... This whole "fated to win" thing is just no fun at all - not to mention kind of a copout -, something I felt about the Bohemian Rhapsody fight as well (which could hardly be called a fight to begin with, but that one was at least fun to look at).

And the saddest thing is, FF is great and we didn't have nearly enough fights with her... :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

With all the more or less obvious retconning going on in JoJo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a villain with actual retconning powers at some point. I have absolutely no idea how that would work, but the concept itself is JoJo as poo poo.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Made in Heaven? It literally rewrites the universe.

Nah... Made in Heaven explicitly repeats the same things, so that everybody instinctively remembers the last cycle. The true rewriting only happens when Pucci is killed, and that's not really retconning.

Maybe really a King Crimson-like Stand that keeps the result, but changes the reason? As in, it focusses on a certain kind of result - like a broken window or something -, and when the user wants to, the chain of events that caused it suddenly and violently changes: instead of a rock, now someone's hand broke the window, and the guy suddenly realizes his hand is cut up. Instead of King Crimson's visions of the immediate future, it would be a constant view on every possible past, and picking the one that suits the user most.

...well, gently caress. Now I'm making up Stands too because there aren't any chapters left for me to read. So this is what that's like.

I did not want to know

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

King Crimson's actual power is to be unexplainable. Every time someone comes close to explaining how King Crimson works, it changes just enough to make the explanation wrong.

He skips time whenever someone comes close to grasping the concept, thereby erasing any rational explanation from existence.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Alright, okay, Dio and Hot Pants vs Valentine might be one of the best fights in the series.

HE'S GOING FOR THE COUCH

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I still can't quite wrap my head around Soft & Wet. It's easy to explain, but so incredibly vague once you think about it.

So, he can shoot bubbles, which steal something, even intangible things, and stores them in the bubbles. When those bubbles burst, the stolen thing comes out. We've seen Josuke steal cat's hair, sight, water from a body, smell, sound... Apparently he can steal absolutely anything temporarily. Is it one of those crazy powers that are effectively only limited by imagination? Could Josuke kill someone instantly by stealing their life? (And even revive others by transfering that bubble to them?) Is his power entirely based on theft puns in Japanese?

Oh well. Not that it matters, really - Part 8 seems to barely contain any classic Punchman battles (there's that stone dude, and... that's it), and more battle puzzles... or just puzzles, for that matter. Which is sweet.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

Also beetles.

Beetle puzzles.

If this guy's Stand is to flip things over, like that weird cane from the Zelda games, it could be a hugely entertaining stand in future battles, with a little creativity - and if there's any manga out there creative with its powers, well...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Soft and Wet seems pretty overpowered, yeah. It's at least up there with Weather Report in terms of sheer versatility, on top of being an auto-win if a bubble touches the opponent. Having said that, Heaven's Door was also a ludicrously powerful Stand that still got interesting fights (though mainly because he generally fought against Stand-negating Stands that forced him to essentially fight without it).

Sure, I have absolute confidence it's gonna be interesting in any case. There's been an increasing number of "fights" where the characters spent the majority figuring out what the hell is going on, so I'm not too worried about overpowered abilities!

Also, even being the incredibly broken power that it is, Heaven's Door introduced us to Another One Bites the Dust. There was something utterly hilarious and at the same time terrifying about Rohan flipping through the pages, and suddenly there's a tiny Killer Queen going 'sup :haw: ' and Rohan blows the gently caress up.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he always have a part of Jesus' vertebrae?

Wait wait wait.

So you get a psychic punchghost when you have part of the body of Jesus.

Communion wafers are meant to represent the body of Christ.

Is the church giving out super powers?! :stare:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oingo Boingo is such a weird loving scene. Like, the stand doesn't even really help you - it just more or less picks an arbitrary result, and that's what will happen, no matter what. It doesn't even help the user in any way! It would be something else if it actually allowed the user to pick a result (which then can still be subverted in the ways we've seen in the manga), but that's not what happens...
It's basically a long, drawn-out joke about self-fulfilling prophecy...
That said, I need to know how they're gonna animate the comic.

Basically, there isn't a single fight in the next part I don't want to see animated... except maybe the guy whose shadow makes you younger. That one was, uh, somewhat crass.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Potsticker posted:

And Ringo?

Has a Stand called Mandom.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Considering In A Silent Way is all about sound, I'm guessing this is Araki-style changing-his-mind-about-what-a-stand-does?

Things Araki changed his mind about despite showing/foreshadowing it otherwise:

- Sandman's Stand
- Pucci's C-Moon doesn't age things anymore
- Erina didn't escape in DIO's coffin
- Josuke didn't travel back in time
- Giorno never comes to Florida
- Valentine is now buff
- Requiem Stands awakened by stabbing a stand with an arrow

...aaaaaand others, which nobody really cares about, because JoJo never has and never will have a consistent plot. :toot:

Comment aside: I'm so glad Gyro lost his stand very soon after getting it, because normal Steel Balls are so much more rad.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

It's not a convoluted theory, but there's no hard evidence one way or the other that it's him or that it was ever planned to be him. Citing that as a source of things Araki changed his mind on when there are a million other things with far more evidence (For gently caress's sake, Annasui changes from a woman to a man) is stupid. Characters taking from other people and looking exactly like them is something that happens all of the time in fiction.

Eh, bad example probably. To me, it was just blindingly obvious it was supposed to be Josuke himself - otherwise, it would be a loose thread: super mysterious stranger who looks 1:1 like Josuke appears and inspires him to do good and have a sweet hairstyle... And that just randomly happens? If it's so random, why the injury? Why, from what's visible, the same face? It's all stuff that's kind of pointless if it's not meant to be Josuke - it looks like an obvious plot thread left hanging. No, I don't think it's stupid to cite this one, even though there are far more obvious retcons...

I'm a little sad we got the universe reset in Part 6, actually. It means we're never going to see any of the Part 4-6 JoJos in action again (except maaaaaaybeeeeee Irene?). Too bad, really, but JoJo marches on. :toot:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

God knows nothing ever randomly happens in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for no reason, especially not in Part 4 the goofiest loving part of the series where a million shenanigans occur that never tie into anything other than some dude being trigger happy with an arrow.

But that's exactly it - all these things DO have a reason. The reason is most of the time that Josuke and gang are loving around, and that's one of the best things about Part 4. The appearance of the mysterious stranger just strikes me as too significant in many details to be randomly thrown in.

Oh well, it's all guessing anyway, and we're not gonna see Part 4 Josuke again, so whatevs :toot:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It works better as being just some random guy instead of some Harry Potter time paradox shenanigans. I think it makes it more meaningful that way.

Sure, I think so too. Maybe that's the exact reason Araki didn't pick up that plot point again. Never said it wasn't for the best! Just seems to me it was supposed to be like that at first.
Hell, I really don't mind all the retconning that is going on, because the author knows how to hit all the right notes, and if the planned plot is in the way of that, gently caress the plot.

Also, I don't think Harry Potter time paradox shenanigans means much in a series with Bites the Dust and King Crimson...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Actually that's Johnny. He might also be the villain of Jojolion if his wish to the corpse gave the Higashikatas that illness.

Wasn't the illness that his wife had a different one? Johnny's wife had a disease that made her skin rock-like and folded like origami; but the Higashikatas' disease only has the stoneskin. They're probably related in some way, but I'm not sure they're exactly the same.

Speaking of JoJolion - I was kinda blindsided by the sudden arrival of rockpeople... It's all amnesia, detective story, mysterious Higashikatas, and suddenly, BAM, rockman. Maybe it's a reference to the Pillarmen. Still curious what the hell was up with that, there will probably be more around where that came from...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Uznare posted:

I am speechless, his wife is called, surprise, Rina Higashikata. It's probably the same thing you dunce.

I didn't mean the people, I meant the diseases... As in, Rina's disease had the origami thing, but the disease in present day only has the stone skin. I'm not sure why that detail is different!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Did they ever explain why Pucci, after fusing with Green Baby, could apparently age things? There's shots of half an egg having aged into chicks, and a baby where half of it has become adult. That kinda doesn't fit with anything C-Moon or Made in Heaven does later on...

That being said, Whitesnake's illusion ability kinda bothered me. It gets used three times (Manhattan Transfer, disguising as Weather Report, making the Underworld dude take the hit), but it just... doesn't fit. That and the CD thing seem like two completely unrelated abilities! Also, I kinda hated the Manhattan Transfer fight, because 80% of it didn't actually happen and felt like a waste of time. When you think about it, the Manhattan Transfer dude doesn't even do anything. Just... tries to shoot Jotaro once, gets wrecked, then shot. Kinda lame.
Pucci's CD ability was hilarious and really entertaining, though. He didn't even need the illusion ability (another sign how nonsensical and stupid that one is) - the CD ability provides everything the story needs.

That being said, the Dragon's Dream fight still sucks. :colbert: Oh, and Bohemian Rhapsody too, because it has a funny ending, but the entire "fight" before it has absolutely no purpose, and the Stand user doesn't even do anything...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

darealkooky posted:

made in heaven speeds time forward really fast

when stuff goes forward in time it gets older, because made in heaven goes fast they age fast

also something something gravity because pucci's stand was still freaking the gently caress out after eating the green baby and hadn't turned into c-moon yet during that scene

B-But Made In Heaven explicitly doesn't affect living things, so it couldn't have aged organisms in any - in - I mean - I -

Yeah ok, Araki-style plot

...still, though, I hope we get to see some of the plot hooks for future parts in the Stardust Crusaders second half. Like Pucci and his bodyguard actually appearing, or something about Giorno and the other sons, maybe that the Stand arrows exist, and what Polnareff is up to right after they defeat DIO. It would be a nice way of introducing continuity where most definitely none was intended when Part 3 was written...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

They already showed the Arrow in the OP.

Oh, that's cool. But I remember seeing manga pages of Jolyne in the Phantom Blood opening as well...

I'd just like to see an indication that Dio and Enya created Stand users with the arrows. I don't think it's a retcon that they suddenly appeared in Part 4, since we never got to know all that much about Dio's operation in Part 3 and it's completely plausible, but having them appear towards the end would be a nice acknowledgement.

And besides, we're probably gonna get a teaser for Part 4 in the final episode anyway, so they might as well!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

You're forgetting the bit where Koichi used Echoes on Kira to delay him from activating Bites the Dust, which then allowed Jotaro to punch Kira in front of the ambulance.

I think that happens, but Jotaro doesn't punch Kira in front of the ambulance. Rather, he cripples Kira's hand so that he can't trigger Bites The Dust. He's completely defeated at this point. Then he kinda limps away, falls in front of the ambulance, dead.

But the high point of the entire battle, for me, is when Okuyasu just deletes that fearsome, instantly killing air bomb with one swipe and goes "Even I don't know where this stuff goes! :haw: "

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aurain posted:

I love all of Part 4, but it's a bit of an asspull that his returning bullet works when it's established early on that Crazy D doesn't work on Josuke himself. Josuke is the best JoJo and has the best hair in all media.

I think this is adressed, even, when he pulls a similar stunt during the motorcycle chase (also a scene that I desperately want to see animated, holy poo poo). He comments at one point that the blood has been out long enough so that it doesn't count as part of his body anymore, but rather a blob of dried blood or something. And when he "fixes" it, all the individual drops gather back as one big drop, but they don't return to his body. Might be that this explanation only exists in the Non-Duwang explanation.

Speaking of crappy translations: what exactly is up with the Part 5 translation we have so far? When I read it, it didn't exactly sound nonsensical. What's wrong with it? Did they make things up rather than properly translate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

I don't see what everyone's problem with the part 5 translation is, seems pretty accurate to me

Please tell me this is a thing that actually exists

Like, complete with King Crimson explanations and all

Because I want to read it in this style

• Locked thread