Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Season Vatred starts June 2nd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Umph posted:

Hey at the end of that article they talk about how putting the season 5 finale to a pulp song was really meaningful for them. I don't know anything about that band, what's the significance of the song and how it related to the scene? Now I feel like I missed the best venture bros moment ever because I don't know a lot about music :(
It's just a song they really, really like. The same song was used in some Ethan Hawke movie in the 90s, but is a great song on its own.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Umph posted:

Thanks man I've been wanting to watch that.
It has a similar sense of humor/aesthetic and the first two seasons are on Netflix. It made the wait between seasons for Venture Bros a LOT less painful.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Vanrushal posted:

Ted was there too, guys! Were there any other recognizable faces among the undead outside of the clones and groovy crew?
I'm pretty sure I saw a Hank.

I don't think there will be any more episodes uploaded to Youtube, they were probably just uploading the premiere to get some buzz going, same way the premiere was free on iTunes. This week's and the premiere are both on Adultswim.com behind the Gold paywall.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

X_Toad posted:

Something that's been bugging me : when cornered by the abominations at the end, Doc says that Venturestein was once a henchman to two people in butterfly costumes. I see the Monarch, but who's the other one?
He was two henchmen to the Monarch. The top of his head is from a different guy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

X_Toad posted:

Another question about the authors : does Jackson Publick have more experience as a VA than Doc Hammer from previous work? He seems to have a greater range and the list of characters he voices is just huge.
Looking on imdb, they pretty much got started on Venture Bros. I think Publick's just a better natural voice actor and he does have a way bigger range. Pretty much everyone who works in cartoons makes silly voices constantly, it comes with the territory.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GigaPeon posted:

She said jPad.

I wonder if j stands for Jonas...
Remember the iPod ad with Jonas on it? I'm thinking that JJ basically owns Apple. That and the Jpads in the previous episode had Venture Industries logos on them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Miltank posted:

"How ya holding up there broken arrow?"
I've watched that episode with at least four different people, and I'm the only person who gets that line every time. For a dick joke it's pretty subtle, and one of my favorite lines that episode.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I though I've seen everything Venture Bros, but A friend of mine showed me a 10 minutes "behind the band" clip about Shallow Gravy that had a few season 5 stuff in it. Is it a promo I missed or is there more to it?
Nope, it's just a 10 minute Behind the Music-style special they put out. Doc and Jackson wanted to make the music video, but the network wouldn't let them make something they couldn't air/sell adspace on, so they made the whole special around it. I think it's perfect though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Entropic posted:

And plugged it with a Christmas tree stand. Serious.
"The only thing keeping me alive right now is our lack of storage."
I love that even when Doc's bleeding out he's still taking the time to be snarky as all get out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

KiloVictorDongs posted:

code:
        ||||||||
    |||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||(--[[[]]]-[[[]]]||||    /
||||(               )|||   /
||||(_________0_____)|||  /
||||                 ||| /
Reading threads in St.Cloud's voice has been a real game changer for me.

It's not quite on par with reading alternating posts as 24/21, but it's solid.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Huh, I didn't realise Kim was a ... thing. Ugh :gonk:
You masturbate enough.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Tank Top was pretty on the nose, but he was a top of a tank on a dude, and that was awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think Metalocalypse does bleeps best since it uses Zakk Wylde-esque pinch harmonics.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mr. Nice! posted:

The boys just apparently started dying in their teens.
Puberty's hard dude.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I don't love that episode, but it's all worth it for Dr. Venture's flippant "Ew!" when he's told she's an epileptic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

twistedmentat posted:

I realized yesterday I cannot say Scooby Doo without saying it like Col. Gentlemen.

Sssshtay Alive! The Shurvival Game!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Poque posted:

I can't even describe how angry this post makes me.

Right? It's Aht Aht Imperial Walkeh!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BexGu posted:

Rusty is actually a incredibly good super scientist..... it just anything of his that works is all evil super science. So far he's (I'm probably forgetting a couple)
1. Almost found (and cured) the gay gene (government protest stopped him)
2. Brought corpse back to life
3. Clones for the boys
4. Built a pleasure chamber off the souls of orphan childen
5. Walking Eye

6. The Boom Broom

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Data Graham posted:

Dr. Quymn is redeemed wholly by that one gag of Doc rolling like a rag doll off the jeep.
And
"She's an epileptic!"
"Ew!"

And
"The both of yous got jungle fever. The both of yous!"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bored posted:

Dr. Orpheus: You gentlemen should switch to pinstripes. It leads the eye down.
The delivery on this line is fantastic, and I use it to this day whenever I'm wearing anything with vertical stripes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Maduo posted:

I don't care what Doc Hammer says, I would play a Venture Bros game in the style of Riven.
No joke, if they got Telltale to actually do a Venture Bros game, I'd play the gently caress out of it. Same if they did one for Archer.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

notZaar posted:

I mean they're not funny and their games aren't funny.

Have you played Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People? I loved it and thought it was hilarious.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pope Guilty posted:

I imagine having watched Johnny Quest as a kid helps hook people in. There's a much more straight Johnny Quest parody in the first episode of Freakazoid that I look back on and can't figure out how anybody who hasn't watched a lot of Johnny Quest makes heads or tails of it.

Just let me throw a barrel at it!

I remembered that for years until I actually got to watch Jonny Quest and it all came together.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CoolCab posted:

I thought he was pretty explicitly supposed to be gay for Brock, like maybe his hand lingered on him for weirdly long for a second or something? Christ these memories are like nine years old. It was parodying the "special relationship" implied between Doctor Quest and his bodyguard (an unmarried bachelor who raises Johnny with a male bodyguard). That was the element that was too on the nose for me in the plot, took it from "parody of early sixties adventure/science fiction" to "parody of the show Johnny Quest'', I'm very glad they dropped it.

Of course we're a couple! A couple of guys!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Ayyyyy Spanikopita! :haw:
A friend of mine mentioned that she made spinach pie the other day. I immediately spouted out "Spanikopita!" and she looked at me like I had an extra hole in my head. I remembered then that she'd seen the first four seasons, but not season five yet :saddowns:

Also, interestingly enough, in the deleted scenes on the DVD for season 5, they've got the whole Harryhausen-esque bit done in regular animation instead of stop motion. I'm glad they went with the stop motion since it's so weird, but I'm surprised they went through with doing it all traditionally first.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm an animator and all my cartoons are done in Flash using frame by frame animation. I hand draw them with a Wacom tablet. A number of shows are animated like this, but Venture Bros is still done by Digital Emation in Korea if the credits are to be believed. Titmouse might just do the keyframes and the like while Digital Emation does the inbetweens.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A guy at a comic convention called out my OSI shirt, as have a few friends of mine who also watch Venture Bros. So yeah, nothing unexpected.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Adult Swim just posted a video of the Guild of Calamitous Intent dragon getting covered in blood with a date of 1/19/15 on it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cojawfee posted:

If this were a movie, sure, go balls out and make it look amazing. It's a cartoon on cartoon network, I don't really care how it looks as long as it isn't Tom Goes to the Mayor.
I'm sorry you feel this way, because this show looks gorgeous if you ask me. One of the things I really appreciate about it is the art and animation, just as much as the writing and voice acting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ithaqua posted:

When in US history has "not driving men" been a cultural thing? I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. I have never heard of that before and it makes no sense.

I've literally never heard "I never drive men" before this thread. "I never drive mad" is one of those things like "don't go to sleep fighting" or whatever that I've been hearing almost my whole life.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd see them putting it out as a zine before anything else.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

tarlibone posted:

Every time I watch the sequence that ends with my favorite line, "I can't believe it's hard to kill these two," I laugh uncontrollably.

Edit: Here's the scene.

That was my first episode and I fell in love with the series right away.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It saddens me that "Facial hair is not a substitute for a jaw line! No matter how you trim it." isn't a quote I can search and just get a video of it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WrathOfBlade posted:

Viva Los Muertos is easily in my top 5. Despite being the only one not written by Doc or Jackson!

"The hell's that got to do with anything?"
"HOT DOLPHIN!"
"You're an idiot!"

Yeah, but it's written by Ben Edlund from The Tick, so it's a fair trade. That episode rules.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AlternateNu posted:

Please do not be alarmed. We are about to engage...the Nozzle.
Please do not move while the Nozzle is engaging.
Moving will disrupt calibration of...the Nozzle.
Please wait while we calibrate...the Nozzle.
Please do not look away from...the Nozzle.
The Nozzle is now calibrating.
The Nozzle is still calibrating.
The Nozzle has completed calibration.
Thank you.

What was that thing?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

drrockso20 posted:

That line I think more than anything is why people were expecting Kim to come back(that and getting a lot of dialogue for a one shot character who doesn't die, and the dire dearth of recurring female characters on this show)

You masturbate enough.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

twistedmentat posted:

Love the Action Man.

Action!!!Action!!!Action!!!Action!!!Action!!!Action!!!ACTIOOOOOOOOOON!!!!
Rodney! Rodney! Even Uk-Uk is a primative savage, but he knows when to pull his punches!

Not today, Rusty. Not today...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I love mein job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sash! posted:

THIS MAN STOLE FROM YOUR FATHER

I love that line for some reason. Probably because of the accent.

TEACH HIM ZE MEANING OF LOYALTY.