Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Captain Geech posted:

Ban fat white guys from Canadian politics.

Dammit. I'd either need to lose weight, or lose my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Of course, this will be what happens if we do move on from them

Also, even 20 years ago the sun was a shitrag.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You have no idea how disappointed I am the two pretty-boy Primarchs do not wear red :smith:

Hey, bunnyofdoom, can you put forward a motion at the next Liberal Party meeting to change the colours to either purple or gold? I'd appreciate it to save myself some colour-masking time in photoshop a couple years down the road, thanks.

Dude. Sanguinius! Described as the prettiest of the pretty boy Primarchs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

NewtGoongrich posted:

That was the excuse. I've met a surprising amount of people who categorize "race" like D&D races. I actually had some goony engineering student explain this to me once. Whites are humans, and good at everything, but rarely great. Asians are like elves, intelligent, but frail. It kept going down hill from there.

Jesus. Let me guess, racist said black people were orcs right, and jews were dwarves? I've run into a guy like that before. He also claimed latinos were kobolds.....

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

That's an interesting idea. Part of "sober second thought" part of the Senate is still wholeheartedly embraced by its members, that because they are no longer subject to party and voter whims they can be better impartial adjudicators of legislation. I've watched three interviews now where Liberals and Conservatives have said this is still their purpose. However, I haven't seen much other come out of the Senate other than in camera sessions, where the debate is masked. We haven't a clue how these proceed normally, under a Liberal or Conservative chair. Is the debate rigourous? Does the ruling party limit debate like they do in the house? Are people actually sober?

Your system is less technocratic than the current system, but the problem with the Senate right now is a lack of accountability. I feel that party lists drawn up by party elders wouldn't do much to appease the elect-the-senate crowd, and unless the opacity of their current operations is handled, I doubt it would appease us policy wonks either.

As someone who has had the job of reading through the minutes of in-camera meetings, I can state that it is very much a debate, yet more civil that QP. They do tend to be more open, yet less if that makes sense. What I mean is, you don't have jeers, you don't have rabbal rousing, and the senators tend to remain formal. Debate does go back and forth. Of course, senators are free to make personal notes about how one person is a windbag etc.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

You're as close to an expert as we have, then. I've read that the debates the public would be most interested in - as in, not the boring financial stuff - is largely done in camera. Any thoughts?

You mean me? Well, I mean, I don't agree with the in camera meetings at all, except in very specific cases (national security kinds of thing), as a matter of principle. I think they should all be open, especially if it's an accountability issue. The senator I worked for is a pretty decent guy, but honestly, that gives me more bias than I normally show, so I'd rather not comment on the Senate.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Helsing posted:

I'll take multiple corruption scandals over a constitutional crisis that very nearly resulted in the country fragmenting or an incident where domestic terrorists kidnapped and murdered members of a sitting provincial government. We've also had a Prime Minister who was assassinated and some open and armed rebellions against crown authority.

This is without going into the poo poo that happened as residential schools or the building of the railway. Those events may not have been remarked upon much in polite society as they were going down, but they were a lot worse by any sane measure.

This month has been embarassing for our pundit class but the idea that this month is even in the running for "worst in Canadian history" is crazy talk.

Ha ha what?

No Canadian Prime minster has been assasinated.

the only Canadian politicians who were are D'Arcy Mcgee, George Brown and the aforementioned Pieree Laporte. None of them were PM.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I currently live in the United States, but I'm thinking of moving to another country. Would you advise I move to Canada, or is it not worth the effort? I think it is, but you're natives.

I'd say so. I mean we get alot of the good things the states have, while having less of the bad things.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

:ssh: Queen Victoria herself murdered our fourth Prime Minister at Windsor Castle in a dispute over the appropriate table setting for a dessert following a fish course.

But since she is OUR ONE AND TRUE HOLY MONARCH it doesn't count.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

angerbot posted:

Pickled turnips for everyone!

Garlic Sauce is a human right!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

This is why I love Ottawa. More shawarma places than Lebanon. :kimchi:

Wait, drat, talking about food again! Uh, uh, Rob Ford should be into fracking not cracking!

My god, there's like 8 in a one block circle from my office, I swear.

Also, poli-chat, has everyone seen Don Martin tearing into Duffy on Powerplay?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

There is a ton of work that still needs to be done vis a vis feminism in Canada. (My mom is huge into trying to get equality, and women being able to do whatever they want, and actually is a good argument that woman can both have careers and families), but in a positive note, I realized this afternoon that the premiers of the four most populous provinces (and richest too I think) are women.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Faux Shoah posted:

Only two of those were actually elected though. (not counting Clark because she lost her seat)

A little disingenuous, because Clark and Wynne did win leadership races (And the Ontario one boiled down to two women let's be honest). That being said, let's 2.5 then. Also, the premier of NFLD is a woman as well, which means half the provinces have women premiers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Also didn't Clarke or won't Clarke run again in a steal riding? I maybe wrong here I stopped paying attention to it all after the election.

When she became Premier she ran and won in a byelection in Campbell's riding

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Bleu posted:

I'm really hesitant to get mad at Justin Trudeau for saying something that's true. I don't support the modern LPC and its New Labour Flavour, and I get that Justin should probably avoid talking about electoral politics when it's been poison for the LPC since his daddy's time, but I can't help but feel like every time I laugh at Justin Trudeau gaffing, some Tory staffer somewhere twirls his mustaches in joy.

And at the same time I drink a little bit more.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I hope you're supporting Canadian breweries.

Local microbrews (kitchissipi and Beats) and Canadian distilleries (66 Gilead and 40 creek)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Every cell phone has great battery life as long as you don't use it as a mini computer.

I use mine as a mini computer, and mine lasts about day from full change if I do. If I don't it goes 2-3 days

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Man, I'd go, but last time the line was out the door, and I don't have time for that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Giant Goats posted:

Not really - it's that Tim Hortons and Harveys (who use a maple leaf instead of an apostrophe) choose not to use apostrophes in their English signs because they can then use the same set of materials all across Canada instead of having to print separate French versions for use in Quebec.

We do something similar for our logo. Becuase Liberal en Francais is Libéral, we use a maple leaf, with the stem fitting over the E so it can be used in both official languages :eng101:

EDIT: With a picture

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

THC posted:

If you want a vision of the future...

A double double pouring down the throat of humanity forever.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Whelp

Two Tory MPs could be suspended from House over missing election filings posted:

Two Conservative MPs are in legal limbo after Elections Canada sent letters to the Speaker of the House of Commons asking they be suspended for failure to file campaign documents from the 2011 election.

“Those letters advised the speaker that an elected candidate shall not continue to sit or vote as members of the House of Commons pending the filing of complete and accurate returns,” said Elections Canada spokesman John Enright on Tuesday.

Shelly Glover, the MP for Saint Boniface, and James Bezan, the MP for Selkirk-Interlake, have both filed legal challenges in the Manitoba Court of the Queen’s Bench over their campaign returns.

The MPs will not be suspended from the House of Commons unless a judge rules against them in their case. Both MPs were in the chamber to vote on a witness-protection bill on Monday.

In an application filed May 24, Glover seeks an order forcing Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand to accept a revised campaign financial return she filed and declaring her compliant with the elections law – an order that would keep her in the House of Commons.

She says Mayrand has misinterpreted how payments for salaries to campaign workers were apportioned and how the costs of campaign signs “inherited” from a previous election should be accounted for in the return.

Glover’s campaign ended up just $660 below its legal spending limit, so even a small difference in accounting could have put it over the cap and in breach of the law. A similar problem with his campaign in Labrador lead to the resignation of former Conservative intergovernmental affairs minister Peter Penashue earlier this year.

Bezan’s campaign finished $17,000 under its legal limit but also included $28,000 in spending that it said was not subject to the limit.

St. Boniface appears to be a hot spot in Election Canada’s investigation into fraudulent political calls in the last election. Glover’s Liberal opponent complained of fake Liberal calls harassing supporters during the campaign, and a few days before the election, the local riding association fielded complaints about Conservative calls misdirecting voters, according to Elections Canada emails obtained under Access to Information legislation

So, anyone shocked here?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Alctel posted:

I've actually lost count of all the election rule bending/breaking that went on

Election Canadas needs to be given a lot more teeth

Sometimes I feel like it needs it own separate thread. Not just robocalls but Penashue, these two, the rest of the chucklefucks....

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dammit JT, why did you ask why Harper appointed Wallin instead of Patrick Brazeau?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

priznat posted:

He got smugbombed pretty bad there. :smug: :smug: :smug:

At least he did quip back about how Wallin wasn't fundraising for the Liberals while she was consul general.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Don't make me start up OC Transpo chat in this biznitch.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

drat, that's a classy McDonald's, Zeeboi. Wanna go to Salzburg for a cheeseburg. :stare:

Also, I just threw a dart at a map of Canada to determine which other region we could poo poo on, and Mr. Pointy recommends we be upset at Cut Knife, Saskatchewan.

Man, they're in Saskatchewan. That should be harsh enough.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Geoid posted:

I've never understood the Saskatchewan hate. It comes from everyone's opinions they gleaned off of "that one time I took Hwy #1 to Calgary".

It's a large, diverse province that's home to a very progressive population (overshadowed by a slim margin by conservative voters) with a great arts scene and a once-vibrant film industry.

This smug dismissiveness from people in Ontario breeds a bunch of the regional malaise out West. Besides, bunnyofdoom should appreciate the Eye of Goodale in Regina-Wascana.

I think we can all agree that the stupidest, least laudable region of Canada is, in fact, all of it. :angel:
Exactly. It's boring.

(My Dad and his family are all from there. It's more because I like to tease him. Correct me if I wrong, but doesn't Sask have the second largest population of French Canadians outside of Quebec?)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

What.

By number, it's Ontario - 500,000. By percentage, it's New Brunswick, about a third. Manitoba also has a significant french population.

Saskatchewan, really not.

Welp, once again, I am wrong. At least I did say I might be wrong in the case before falpping my gums

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Oh CPAC, well done in half muting a conservative MP and playing clown horn noises during member statements. Way to gently caress it up.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Hell yeah, I love learning poo poo, specially if the person educating me really knows their poo poo. I loving hate May and the green party but she did nothing wrong in her interview and she's 100% right about shrimp, stop eating that poo poo you idiots.

Can I still eat Nova Scotian scallops?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Goddamn Thomas "Phoenix Wright" Mulcair just objectioned to Harper's mistepped in QP so hard I'm hearing the cornered music.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Marc Garneau :allears:

But, I love how the entire house burst in laughter at Polliver claiming Conservatives acted in good faith with regards to elections Canada.

Also, the candidates are holding fuckawesome events to clear their leadership debts. Like Marc's last night.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

She's not Stephen Harper, Mulcair or Trudeau, she doesn't need to have a messaging crew making sure she hits the exact Canadian G-spots every time she speaks.

Yeah. Fun Fact. Apparently Trudeau doesn't have one either.

HE loving needs one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Twiin posted:

WE HAVE CROWDSOURCED ARGLE BARGLE BARGLE

Hey, I worked very hard entering those responses, and editing out all the motherfuckers.

But seriously, at least we're actually trying to get Canadians involved in QP, by asking questions they want asked.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yup, definately put this play during the background during the next QP

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Imagine the hubbub if Canadians elected just one member of Marxist-Leninist or the Communist Party. Harper could win a 99% majority and Toronto Sun would still put on the cover, "CANADA GOES COMMUNIST". I'm sure Fox News would alert everyone that the Red have now taken Canada and we must no longer negotiate with communist scum up north.

How about one of each? Doube commie flavour
:getin:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Majuju posted:

They want to stop permitting and phase out currently-producing uranium mines in Canada (which is 20% of the world's uranium production), which is responsible for 15,000 jobs in Saskatchewan alone, and they also completely oppose the export of any fissionable material including thorium. Their policy on the energy industry is literally 1.21 Energy Industry: No to Nuclear.

The Green Party also believes in promoting homeopathy and naturopathy as "complimentary health care" choices.

As someone who had radiation therapy, they can go gently caress themselves. Taking ginger and avacado pits wouldn't do poo poo to my cancer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Christ, really?

I knew about the nuclear stuff, but I sort of figured, "hey they'll moderate if they ever actually come close to being a mainstream party". They're hardly the only environmental group to fear nuclear. But I've never met someone who promoted homeopathy that had any concrete grasp of environmental science or actual environmental issues.

Stop depressing me goons. :sigh:

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Wait, I can see why people would be neutral on the Greens but what have they done to make you hate them? I didn't know it was possible to hate the Greens and the Conservatives at the same time.

Exactly. I hate them both because the Conservatives are gigantic assholes, and the Green can be outright loons at times.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

quaint bucket posted:

That seems a little harsh. Team Theology (Conservative supporter/staffer for one of the senators?) has been posting reasonably well here. I actually look forward to see what he has to say sometime which breaks up the echo chamber here.

I haven't seem a lot of Green Party supporters/staffers here though.

Moore and Kenney are probably going to replace Harper for 2015 but I dunno if it will hurt the Cons in the east since they're both from the west.

True. He is a gentleman. However, I meant it more as the government. Doing things like exlcuding Marc Garneau from the Canadarm exhibit opening, muzzling scientists, and a whole host of other incidents leads me to apply to that label to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

That was a dick move. But I would chalk it up as much to a political slight as I would literally no one thinking "Hey, maybe Canadian space dude should be at the Canadian space event". I mean definitely a few people were being assholes, but I can assure you a person or two in the room when the decision was made just didn't think of it at the time. Which is both sad, and ridiculous.
Fair point, but I bet I could pull out a lot of small petty things that drives the idea that it was a slight, if I spend some time doing research.

"Team Theology" posted:

Senator, man if only I worked in an office with so little power and such a huge budget. Then I could play games all day! For the record, staffers aren't usually in agreement with their bosses (MP, Minister, Senator or otherwise) over everything. We just do our jobs as our bosses would like them done to the best of our ability (if we are good at our job).

Man, I wish I still worked in the senate. I really liked my little office there. And, as my posts in the thread show, I clearly am not on board with Liberal stuff all the time either. But that doesn't mean I don't bust my rear end off, nor that I slack off.

That being said, sorry for any offense TT. I was not intending to insult you at all, but rather the party itself, especially with regards to some of it's policies I find highly objectionable.

quaint bucket posted:

I'm happy they got rid of the LGR but I'm not happy that there hasn't been any realistic movement on the firearm act. I would have been happy with at least abolishing the ATT (ineffective red tape) or clarifying the Safe Storage but right now they're just teasing/reading the population with "leaked secret memos."
Um, where did I even mention the LGR in my post? Why are you jumping to this one issue that I never mentioned?

quote:

E: I took C as in describing Team
Theology as part of the government as a staffer (from my understanding) as much as bunnydoom is Liberal due to being staffer as well. Is this inaccurate?

Not quite. I did mean the party, as in more of the movers and shakers. Since my original quote was based off us critique the Greens for their policies, I felt it would be construed as me saying Conservative policies were gigantically assholish. Like I said, I have no problems with TT at all,, he is a gentleman. Furthurmore, staffers do tend to disagree with the party they do belong to, because we're human, we are allowed our own opinions. However, we work for the parties we do because our values for the most part match our parties.

• Locked thread