Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Entropic posted:

You can take my child-smashing from my cold dead hands.
Bodychecking doesn't kill people, people bodychecking kills people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

vyelkin posted:

I would cede Alberta to the Americans in a heartbeat.
It would push both countries to the left, what's not to like

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Our entire political system was ripped from the UK and you're worried about being distinct from Americans

You're reactionary and also having a republican system isn't the same as having an American presidential system

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Ceciltron posted:

Ignore Raenir Salazar. I knew him in CEGEP and he's gone from everything to a right wing frothing maniac to a stalinist.
So he never figured out how to finesse the two together like Fraternite?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

vyelkin posted:

Appoint a French-Canadian monarch and watch English Canada eat itself alive.
The quickest way to end monarchism in Canada

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Yeah, just like how English Canada went nuts when Francophone Laurier became the prime minister.

Except that didn't happen.
Ceciltron already called you out on your impoverished history, but the point isn't that English Canada would "go nuts", it's that it would kill all of the emotional affection that monarchists have for a very specific cultural tradition

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 31, 2013

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Plus the Canadian Senate is already a territorially-proportioned body like the American Senate. A third of the Senate is already controlled by 7% of the population. What do we achieve by skewing it further? What will magicically happen if we give that 7% half of the Senate instead?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

NewtGoongrich posted:

If by territorially proportioned you mean "each state gets two senators", then yes, you're correct.
Territorially proportioned as in each region gets equal representation. 24 seats for Ontario, 24 seats for Quebec, 24 seats for the West, and 24 seats for the Atlantic provinces. In representational terms, the Canadian Senate bears closer resemblance to the American Senate than to our representation-by-population riding system in the House of Commons.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

LP97S posted:

Hell, more people have been killed through homeopathy than nuclear energy.
poo poo D&D says

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Kafka Esq. posted:

Thanks for the one liner poo poo and run, Funkdreamer.

edit: just so we're clear, we're talking about homeopaths, a group of people who sometimes advise against immunization.
Who knows what the hell we're talking about when the one-liner I replied to vaguely hand-waves about "homeopathy". The comparison is so absurd and pointless and there's no way that whatever milquetoast bullshit Canadian Green Party supporters are into merits such a shrill accusation.

Sorry I didn't treat his inanity with the respect it deserved, Kafka Esq. and Fine-able Offence.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Hey guys I've made a list of every possible thing wrong with the Green Party, and at the very bottom is whatever support they lend to homeopathic medicine.

Topping the list is the fact that they're nothing more than a kinder adjunct to neoliberalism, followed by the fact that they exist as a protest vote for affluent urbanites rather than as a robust social movement, followed by the fact that they're a strategic disasterpiece for the left electorally.

But hey let's continue to moan breathlessly about how anti-science the Green Party is, the way we always do, and draw up KILL COUNTS for Elizabeth May.

Edit: I absolutely despise the Green Party but the hate for it here still somehow manages to be irrational and misplaced and the shrimp thing one page back is so typical of that

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 6, 2013

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Would anyone be interested in a "Future of the NDP" thread? It would be to discuss both a) how well the NDP is representing the left in Canada and b) its electoral fortunes federally and provincially.

I can't really think of how to kick it off but maybe someone like Helsing or Pinterest Mom could do a good opener. I know we get a lot of mini-discussions along the lines of "the NDP should do ___________", and they could probably sustain an interesting thread.

Edit: And I guess Quebec Solidaire too

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 8, 2013

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Fine-able Offense posted:

Because it is both dumb (more in a moment) and simultaneously also effectively impossible both politically and legally. It's like saying "We're gonna do Meech Lake again, only this time worse, and for no reason! :downs:", and then expecting people to take you seriously.
Alice Funke had a constitutional expert on her blog a few days ago arguing that it's far easier both politically and legally than you're suggesting. He was part of Meech Lake and thinks the two cases are nothing alike.

http://www.punditsguide.ca/2013/06/guest-post-senate-abolition-as-a-matter-of-law-and-politics/

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

ZeeBoi posted:

So as of this year, July 1-7 will Canada History Week?

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1370873738331/1370873756081
"The Harper Government will partner with the Historica-Dominion Institute to create two new Heritage Minutes per year between now and Canada’s 150th birthday in 2017."

gently caress Heritage Minutes bring back Logdriver's Waltz

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

THC posted:

I think it's funny how National Post and Globe & Mail comment posters, who were previously all in favour of banning religious headwear on the pitch, have decided they hate Quebec even more than they hate Muslims and Sikhs.
It's always good to remember that even when broken clocks are right, they're still broken.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

bunnyofdoom posted:

ACtually, I read that as he was critizing the NDP for not saying/doing anything about Blair. Other points stand.
That wouldn't be the correct reading.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Paikin is Liberal in that unique kind of way that's even worse than being Conservative.

He's basically entirely supportive of the CPC's economic and foreign policy platforms, but views them as a party of uncultured rubes not worthy of his pedigree.

He's like a matryoshka doll of classism

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

THC posted:

It would be funny if instead of a visit from the Prime Minister Himself and 500 of Her Majesty's Finest Fighting Men they had got an army of private sector beancounters to make sure Nenshi and Redford haven't been embezzling the disaster relief funds. Then they'd be like "yeah there's a few irregularities here" and then the editorial board of every newspaper could tut-tut at the calgarians for being so irresponsible and castigate them for whining about old grievances. Meanwhile anyone who doesn't have an amphibious vehicle to escape in gets to sit all cold and clammy and waiting for relief that will never come
Throw in some thinly-veiled racism about Nenshi's "cultural" dispositions and you've got yourself a deal

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
We would be the angriest, whitest, malest party in Canada

So in other words maybe we do stand a chance

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Fine-able Offense posted:

Forget it, Jake, it's the Canada NDP Partisan Thread.

Baloogan posted:

You know there is a bloody good reason you NDP people aren't voted into power.
This is how not to behave when your arguments get dissected.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Horrifying

quote:

Canada looks to put GPS bracelets on more migrants

STEVEN CHASE
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Jun. 27 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Jun. 27 2013, 7:00 AM EDT

The Canadian government is looking at whether to expand the use of satellite technology to monitor asylum seekers or potential immigrants who would otherwise be detained, and is upgrading the equipment that would allow it to do so.

Ottawa served notice this week that it plans to sign a contract with the U.K. firm Buddi Ltd., used by police forces there to track criminals through electronic bracelet devices that the British media have dubbed “Chav Nav” tags. The technology provides real-time tracking using the same space-based Global Positioning System that drivers rely upon for in-car navigation.

If they fall into the "danger to Canada" category, a GPS bracelet is a ridiculous idea. If they fall into the "identity hasn't been established" category, maybe treat them like human beings and not dogs?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
You have to recover the Amulet of Yendor from the underworld of Gehennom

And Happy KKKlanada Day, Megathread

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I bet they busted some stoner Leftists who got too comfortable talking about blowing up a pipeline or demanding more bike lanes.
THC :ohdear:

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
So what exactly is "al Qaeda ideology" because holy poo poo that's bordering on irresponsibly vague

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
:lol:

But if CSIS doesn't give weapons training to would-be terrorists, who will??

Edit: [The CSIS agent] also gave "exhortational sermons on Jihad",[22]

Nice

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I find the Globe and CBC comments are mostly passable because they're filtered by popularity. It kinda disincentivizes craziness. The Sun and NP are chronological, no?

Still, you'll see "MUSLIM-FREE CANADA!!" posts on CBC with hundreds of upvotes.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Pinterest Mom posted:

Zach Paikin chat: through a LPC f-o-a-f, I have learned today that he got punched by a girl at an LPC event. Apparently he was acting "rapey", and she was underage b
Can you confirm/deny that he's bi/bicurious

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

DerDestroyer posted:

Holy poo poo it reminds me of the Halifax Explosion.
I haven't seen that much ash since we torched the White House

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

See, this is why we need more regulation on genetic modification. Some crazy fucker crossed a boat with a loving shark.
The Russians have been breeding their sharkboats for ages

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can I point out that between 1887 and 2005 every single leader* of the Liberal Party ended up as Prime Minister? (Wilfrid Laurier, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Louis St. Laurent, Lester B. Pearson, Pierre Trudeau, John Turner, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin). That is a loving impressive slate there.

*Not counting interim leaders. Even then, there was only one interim leader in that group, and that was following Laurier.
It's so impressive that the Liberal Party of Canada operated one of the most comprehensive patronage systems in the West, outlawed left-wing parties it didn't like, and continues to oppose reform of the broken electoral system it rode to success for over a century!

*waves tiny red flag*

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Twiin posted:

Not frat boy things like pouring drinks into purses
Ah yes, "The Brazeau". A classic.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I was just having a trip down memory lane

Does anyone remember the Toronto squeegee panic back during the Lastman days?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Remember? I was one of the organizers of the Hands Off Street Youth march. :)

http://www.ocap.ca/node/116
Um hello we have a right not to be touched/looked at by the poor

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Let's see the early 1940's ??? Wasn't there a WORLD WAR being fought ??? Weren't a lot of scientists under pressure to produce or go 'home' ???? Yes, it is a pity that aboriginals were used as 'guinea pigs' - but more telling is that they allowed themselves to be used as guinea pigs. Another dagger in the propagated MYTH that the native inhabitants of Canada were self-sufficient and self-reliant.

heil

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
We had to experiment on the lesser races to defeat the Nazi ideology!!

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I'm pretty sure between Christie Pits, Alberta Social Credit, and King's virulent anti-Semitism, we could have taught Hitler a thing or two about hating Jews.

Edit: And duh the St. Louis

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 17, 2013

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Helsing posted:

especially in conjunction with this Ekos poll that I mentioned earlier.
"Right-wing gerontocracy" is such a hilariously on-the-nose phrase

I'll need to start using it

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Albino Squirrel posted:

I think a guaranteed minimum income is a fabulous idea. I look forward to the day where whoever implements it decides to disqualify anyone with an addiction from accessing it, because they "don't deserve it." But then maybe I'm cynical and jaded.
Not only that but the optics are terrible. Creating a claim against employers (in the form of minimum wage) is much more politically feasible than creating a claim government (in the form of GMI). It would take maybe 5 seconds for the 905 to start shrieking about how Canadians have been put on the dole.

But alas Coyne is one of those autistic economist types that don't actually understand how politics or society works

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Team THEOLOGY posted:

I'm driving or I would check!
Wh...what

But no, he doesn't question its feasibility at all in that article

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here's another reason to not vote for Giambrone: grocery store malpractice.

Honestly that's more disgusting than the sex scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I saw Jim Flaherty's butt once in a changeroom

• Locked thread