Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
ALL HAIL KING JACK!!!!

Also,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I still have a couple old coins from like the 30s with George V on them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also in Australia the GG fired the Prime Minister Gough Whitlam back in the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Whitlam

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Wait so did Clarke run in Campbell's riding or not in a by election?
She did run in a byelection and win (soon after she became Premier in... I want to say 2010), in this most recent election she lost her seat though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That whole part of Highway 1 is already a giant clusterfuck, I don't even WANT to know how many lane changes I'm going to have to make to get back onto Highway 7 without accidentally ending up somewhere I don't want to be.

As long as it makes them realize toll bridges are the stupidest thing on the planet though I'm happy, since anyone from Surrey would just start to use the new bridge (unless it comes with a toll too) over the Port Mann.

I was thinking yesterday, once you get past the Patullo, the next bridge that crosses the Fraser toll-free is the Abbotsford-Mission bridge :psyduck:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

less than three posted:

Based on the consultation, all three proposed methods will probably have a toll. "Costs could be covered by user-based revenues, subject to additional analysis."

Ugh, loving Christ. Toll roads are one of those things that make me SO loving ANGRY. THIS IS WHY WE PAY TAXES, SO THAT EVERYONE CAN USE THE ROADS WITHOUT DRIVING TO loving ABBOTSFORD.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

rhazes posted:

The Port Mann's is 3.00 one-way, and I can't honestly remember if it is going to be increased over time to keep up with inflation, or if inflation will whittle that cost down over time to make it more reasonable over time. I hope it's the latter, and I bet whatever new bridge they put in will be horrendously expensive as well. The tolls themselves just seem to be punitive and excessive, but I guess that's what happens when there's a public-private partnership, of course the business wants to get in and gouge the poo poo out of people.

I think there's a real problem with trying to make the fees associated with certain actions to be their actual costs. Transit SHOULD be subsidized heavily, because of the positive externalities it brings with it: less emissions, less traffic/infrastructure needed for transportation, increased sense of 'community' and ease of use for tourists/low income residents. But, bridge users shouldn't be bearing the brunt of the burden either, just because a new bridge is such an obvious lightning rod with how much it costs and how huge of a project it is. (Compared to smaller projects like re-paving, lane expansions, adding new street lights, expanding sewage/etc infrastructure under the roads themselves.)

gently caress it, jack up the gas tax again.

This is basically what I agree with. I don't think there should be toll roads, I think taxes should be increased (preferably on the rich!) to pay for bridges that can be used by all users, regardless of whether they can afford to pay $6 a day to get to their jobs.

As far as I'm concerned, roads and bridges are an essential service and should be treated as such. It shouldn't be a thing where people who can afford to pay the toll are able to cross the river, and those who can't are just poo poo out of luck.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

They should use the honour system where it's the people's responsibility to buy their ticket/pass before boarding any public transit. Eliminate fare boxes, etc. but employ plain clothes inspectors who hand out juicy fines for those that didn't pay for their fare.

I liked that in Vienna.

I agree with this, in response to Lexicon. They did a study in Vancouver (which basically functions this way until they start actually making those fare gates work) and found that something like 2% of people didn't pay for their tickets, and they were generally the poorest of the poor who couldn't afford it.

Otherwise, I don't agree that there should be bus fares, I think they should be subsidized as well, and I say this as a car owner who is a very infrequent user of public transit. Usually the only time I use public transit is when I'm in downtown Vancouver, I find it easier to park my car at Waterfront station and take the skytrain or buses around. That's like once every three or four months, at most.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I'm a native French speaker in BC and I know like 4 people that aren't my mom and brother who are fluent or even somewhat fluent in French.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whatever happened to that douchebag that was suing Air Canada because they didn't have a French speaking flight attendant on board and he demanded to be served in French despite being fluent in English?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Twiin posted:

The Supreme Court accepted the case last month.
Ugh, hopefully he loses and gets stuck with hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees.

It's not even like Air Canada is owned by the government anymore, if I went into basically any store in Vancouver and demanded service in French I'd be laughed out of there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ Oh, I didn't know they were actually supposed to serve in both official languages, I thought when they privatized they got to do whatever the gently caress they wanted like most private companies. My bad.

Baronjutter posted:

It's poo poo like this that form the bank of anecdotes westerns collect to support their "uhg forced bilingualism is awful, the Quebecois are the worst whiners..."
They're pretty rare cases, they almost remind me of Kate Beaton's "Straw Feminists". She should do a comic about "Straw Quebecois". This straw-man version of the western idea of the militant Quebecois who wants nothing more than to force their language on western canada just to antagonize (or dare I say oppress!) us.

Yeah, exactly.

I mean, if Air Canada was a government owned airline, I would have absolutely no problem with it. I would still think the guy was a douchebag for refusing to speak in English to flight attendants when he spoke the language, but I would probably still support his case.

But the fact that on top of just not acting the way 99% of normal human beings act in that situation but THEN trying to sue the airline for millions and leading to westerners complaining about those drat Frenchies in Quebec just makes me hope the legal fees ruin him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Team THEOLOGY posted:

The day you find a nuclear disaster in a western made modern nuclear plant I will cede this argument. I think they have only happened in older, shoddy built disasters that were poorly regulated at best.

I had a chance to talk with an IAEA advisor about this once and nothing gets one of them more upset than crazies who think our modern plants in the west are anything like Japan, Chernobyl or the like. It's just not a viable internal energy policy platform in Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/14/nuclear-power-plant-accidents-list-rank

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Putin photo ops are way, way better than anything Canadian politicians do.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ owns

Team THEOLOGY posted:

I suppose unfortunately I don't care how it comes off. Especially when you put into context the BC election and prior to the last federal one. Short memories, and further, they almost never get what the majority wants because intelligent voting has become a faux pas in Canada. That being said I have expressed this thought before and election after election seem to prove me right. I can't say I am unhappy because usually my party comes out on top, but man it's got to be frustrating.
Yeah, I agree with this completely.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cordyceps Headache posted:

But it's premised on the idea that the system is dysfunctional because of the voters in it, rather than the system itself currently favouring such an outcome. The idea that at some point in history previous to this voters were voting intelligently, and that now they are not, is faulty reasoning that doesn't bear out in reality. Getting angry at the common voter is counterproductive and stupid, the system generates the results we see, and no amount of voter engagement exercises will change that. For every one person who votes strategically, there are two who never do, and this has always been the case. So advocate for systemic change, hell, advocate for the NDP or the liberals to go into a hole and die to stop dividing the left, but don't delude yourselves into believing that if only the public were up to snuff, democracy would work, because it doesn't. At least not int he way you believe it should.

I don't think that if the public were up to snuff democracy would work at all, because the public will never be up to snuff. Your average person is an uneducated idiot who will vote against their interests at the drop of a hat because they're incredibly easy to manipulate. I don't think voters have ever voted intelligently, and I don't think democracy is a good system of government.

Unfortunately it's better than all the other options we have right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My husband became a permanent resident in April (we applied in October).

Honestly, compared to the process in Australia, it was incredibly easy. The forms were easier to fill out, the doctor's appointment was both easier to get and cheaper, the whole process was half the price (and would be four times the price if we applied in Australia now) and took six months total compared to the over two years it took for me to get my Australian PR.

The hardest part was getting into the States so we could go back into Canada to get the PR approved for good :haw:

There really is no excuse for the citizenship backlog. It's stupid and ridiculous.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This never would have happened to Jack Layton because he biked to work :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Canadian Politics Megathread: gently caress the poors, it's all their own fault - QuaintBucket

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

quaint bucket posted:

I looked at the SD42 website but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. What would this mean for post secondary admission? Would they still do letter grades/percentages at the end?

Hahahahha Gooden literally says in that article that universities can adapt to this new "system" of not judging people at all :psyduck:.

Yes, I'm sure UBC will admit someone on the basis of their entire mark being "It was a pleasure to have [name] in my class"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Bell curves are the stupidest thing on the planet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I give it until the first time someone is charged with that law before the Supreme Court tosses the sentence on the basis of "cruel and unusual punishment" under the charter.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The article I read said the provision does allow for religious headgear as long as it can be proven that you're wearing it for religious reasons, so at least you can still protest if you're female and Muslim without fear of being sent to jail for 10 years.

It's still a lovely, lovely law.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So right now I think the only way to get from Calgary to BC is to drive up to Jasper and take the 16 then the Coquihalla in :psyduck:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So basically like the entire bottom half of Alberta is underwater now? :stare:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahhaa that picture of him looking out the window at the damage you can SO TELL he basically asked the reporter to make him look like GWB only MORE MILITARY

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Maybe Pat Martin would join our party if we let him keep his twitter account after swearing at sitting Ministers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like how "the straw that broke the camel's back" was people in the same village having to vote in different electorates in a PROVINCIAL ELECTION :psyduck:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Walked through Whistler village a couple hours ago and there were already a ton of drunk people singing Oh Canada out of tune at the top of their lungs on patios, so everything here is pretty much normal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Majuju posted:

I've been in Whistler this weekend too. It's loving HOT. What's up with the mounted cop with the husky? Trying to endear the public to the RCMP?

That husky is the most adorable dog. I love his eyes so much. But yeah, I think they just bring him out for the tourists to enjoy, playing up to stereotypes instead of the mentally challenged people tasering reality.

And yeah it is so loving hot, the best thing right now is to actually go up to the peak of the mountain, the breeze is so nice up there and not hot like death. I went for a two hour hike around Lost Lake yesterday and I was totally dripping when I came back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I find this very very very very hard to believe!!!!!!!!!!

And why would they confirm this so fast?

A freak accident? Usually you have an engineer and a fireman + a pilot if a US train is in Canada.
And if so what about the dead man switch? Something missing here.

edit: actually these are probably the weirdest comments I've ever read on a NP article, it's crazy, but in a different way from the usual NP comment section crazy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MrChips posted:

A female PM in Canada is more a question of when rather than if. The only obstacle is that I don't see any women in any of the major parties who would be viable candidates in the near or even distant future at the moment.
Yeah, this is the main problem right now. Hell, most provinces have elected a female premier by now, including the bastion of social liberalism that is Alberta.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
the last time I crossed the border into the States the border officer on the American side was wearing a bulletproof vest. He used the kind of ropey bits going across it to hold his pens.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Nothing wrong with that. Border guards at land crossings are in a similar safety position to cops.
Yeah, I just thought it was funny how he used it to hold his pens.

Most of them actually don't have bulletproof vests when you walk across the border. This guy was a field officer who I guess didn't have any drug runners trying to run drugs between Sumas and Abbotsford at that particular time and so just decided to process me instead.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is politics, if Trudeau really was that much of a douche IRL then not only would there have been multiple reports of it in the media but someone would have probably taken video of it with their cell phones.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

God, I want Harper to do the convention dressed as Frankenstein's monster. Laureen can be the Bride :twisted:

When I went trick or treating at 24 Sussex back in 2006 Harper was dressed as a zombie and boy was that outfit fitting. Laureen had so much more charisma than he did, it was actually kind of jarring.

Also Michelle Jean was dressed as a witch and she was totally awesome and really into it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
BRB, emailing that to my brother in law that think natives don't deserve money for their time in residential schools because it was a good thing for them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Danny LaFever posted:

I suspect he will do a 180 on his lovely beliefs. Keep us updated.

Yeah, no he won't. As eXXon pointed out, if what already happened wasn't enough, I don't think this is going to change his views.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Right now my current beef with the BC Government and MSP is that it doesn't cover physiotherapy, unless it's a WCB claim (or ICBC, they apparently refund you).

I tore the meniscus in my knee skiing and while I wait for an appointment from an orthopedic surgeon to see if I'll need surgery (two weeks and still waiting for the call! (But I also doubt I'll need surgery)) I'm on weekly physiotherapy appointments to help drain the fluid from my knee and so that it will heal properly.

Now, I don't have a financial problem paying $50 a week for a couple of months. It's not going to send me broke. But I can absolutely see how it would do so to a lot of people, and we're talking about a significant improvement in my quality of life since going to the physio. I can now almost walk like a normal person for the first time in weeks.

I know it's only $10 to low income families, but even those making $35000 a year or so, I can absolutely see that kind of thing being a hardship, and it's a damned shame it's not covered, because it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Dark One posted:

:ohdear:

OHIP only covers physiotherapy for minors, seniors and those who've been hospitalized, so I'm hoping that my doc is right when he thinks I've only nicked my meniscus.
Well, the way to tell for sure is to get an MRI, but if your doc doesn't think you need one, you're probably fine (note: I am definitely not a doctor).

If it helps, my physio told me if you've got a ton of swelling that's limiting your range of motion, go on the exercise bike on the lowest resistance and move your knee around slowly, lowering the seat as much as possible. I went from not being able to do a single full rotation to being able to do it on the lowest level in two days thanks to that.

• Locked thread