Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Strange Quark posted:

See all the jokes about Los Angeles/Japanifornia.

It's even funnier in french. Enjoy french federal courts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

e: ^ And I'm not an expert at law, but it most definitely doesn't works like that either.

Just finished case 1, and with one exception, I didn't ran in any moment of video game logic (Though I'd wish I could have pointed out that Juniper knocking Polly out is kind of impossible considering she was summoned by a bailiff, that would presumably been able to testify that when they left Apollo, he was still upright. Oh well.). Onward to second case, though I hope the game will stop showing me the culprit in the intro cutscene. It wasn't good in the first game and it's not any better here.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Laughing my butt off at (early case 2) Apollo's ringtone being the Loving Guitar's loving Serenade :byodood:

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who experienced some kind of flashback at that moment.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Brightfull and Blackquill's working relationship is an absolute wonder. I wans't so hot on either character at first, then they started to interact, and Brightfull shocking the poo poo out of Blackquill was just glorious. However, I'm not really sold on case 2 insofar day 2 investigation. I mean, who thought making L'belle so obviously shady as hell was a good idea? The man is litteraly browbeating a futur witness in front of you, and the best Apollo comes up is "Well, they must be afraid of that supersitition!!!"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

VarrosAnon posted:

From what I could tell, the bailiff got Junie, and then Tonate went in there and clubbed Apollo. He insisted on staying behind when Junie left because he wanted to find Bum Rap Rhiny.

Yeah, but then there is a witness to the fact that when Junipers left the room, Justice wasn't unconscious. Meaning Junipers would never been able to attack him. So far, I must say I'm slightly disappointed in how the cases play out. Investigation was better in that regard.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

I missed this writing so much :allears:
Yeah upon playing until the end of day 2, I really didn't. It looks like they picked the very worst parts of the serie, between obnoxious characters, previsible plot twists and baffling stupidity from the main character. I do hope it gets better, because so far, with the exception of Fulbright and Blackquill, it's probably as bad as 4-3 was.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Blackquill's alright, because of how he works with Fulbright. It's funny to see them trying to controle each other. L'Belle, Finch and Jinxie are just annoying. However, the last trial part is alright. It's just the investigation that sucks.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really get the Mary Sue accusations toward Athena, because it's rather solidly established she's not that good as a lawyer, rather jittery, and prone to outbursts that win you no favors with the Judge. I mean yeah, she's 18, and I hope there is a better explanation for her age than I studied in Europe and somehow skipped grades like mad here, lol the japaneses know nothing about other educative systems, but still she's pretty good as a newbie character so far.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 26, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

But aren't those traits more belonging to the main character in a story? Heroes were pretty special snowflakes well before FanFiction.net was ever a thing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Cyra posted:

The usual assortment of pop culture references is fun (spotted Pink Floyd lyrics and a Fifty Shades of Grey joke), the overuse of jokes revolving around Trucy's magic panties is not. I like that the word Ergo is abused again. Courtroom pan-o-ramas, finger points in yo face, anime voice acted cutscenes. Game is Japan as gently caress. I hope Edgeworth-Senpai notices me..

If someone had told me that Ace Attorney 5 would be a download only M-rated title with costume dlc, I'd have seriously questioned my sanity. The industry sure has changed in a few short years.

The music isn't as good as 4, either. I get really excited when I hear the themes from 4 cue up during Apollo segments.

So far, I'd rate the series as such: 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > Investigations. Take my opinions accordingly.

Does Japan means anything anymore, or is it just a goonword for "things from Japan I don't like"? I mean, I'm not sold on a few things about that game, but seriously, whining about the M rating? Complaining about things that are in the serie since the very beginning? Seems a bit unfair.

e: VVV Okay, I agree with you on that one, that was one thing that should have been buried in AA4's casket.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 27, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Aurain posted:

Spoilered for those who may not be there. Case 3.

I can see it being a focal point for detractors and the kind of people who are commonly labelled as SJW's for sure, especially when we consider the portrayal of women is probably gaming's biggest issue in 2013.

She's very stereotypically feminine when she's acting like a "girl", but she's very stereotypically masculine when she's acting like a "boy". She's not a realistic male or female character, which is certainly the intention. The game is not looking to send a message of any sort, it's not saying being trans is bad, being trans is good or anything, it's a character who flip flops between ridiculous stereotypes of both genders constantly. It's just very... Ace Attorney. It's crazy, weird, OTT and ridiculous.

I hear you here. it's rather obvious they went for the Polly Oliver/Mulan plot and not for a statement on crossdressing as a lifestyle or hobby or trans issues, considering Newman pretty much states on day 2 investigation that she's really happy about not having to pretend to be a guy anymore, so it's kind of annoying to have people coming out of the woodwork and try to pass it as an attack on the subjects mentioned previously. Though I agree it's a clumsy at time, like in Persona 4, a game with the same premise and which attracted the same kind of talk.

On another, lighter subject, finished case 3, which is a big improvement over case 2. Seeing Apollo getting actual characterisation was pretty nice, especially given how he was treated in AA4. The culprit was kind of obvious, pegged him as so as soon as he started to talk about the end justifying the means. Hugh was pretty good as well, I liked how you strip layer of pretention over layer of ego to find a depressed fellow. I did think his big secret was that he did some time in the clink to account for his age, though, and that's what strained his friendship with the others, that with the thing about how a prior conviction can bar you from finding a job in law. The frendship bit was not overdone, as well, with the exception of that scene at the end, and was pretty sweet. Finally the sotryline itself is pretty good, and pleasant to piece together, considering it's not too obtuse or too spoonfed to you.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 28, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

So, case 4, investigation day 1: It's magatama time! :neckbeard:. Though I'm concerned about Fulbright. He seems to be taking all thiss pretty badly.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

So, finished the game earlier that night. Pulled an all nighter on case 5.
Consider my disappointment expressed earlier as retracted, the game is awesome.
It kind of has a slow start, but build toward a conclusion that's equal to T&T's in term of quality.
first case was, well, pretty good as far as tutorials go. Opening with Phoenix as the player character was definitely a good thing, they milked that impression of "He's back :allears:" for all its worth.
Second case was kind of a wash. Playing as Apollo and having him as the experienced lawyer of the relationship was pretty good, so was the setting, but a lot of the characters were either obnoxious, or had anoying animations.
Third case was awesome, with a rather nice misdirection, though Prof Means was a bit too obvious with his "The ends justify the means" speech. I found the friendship stuff not too overbearing, and Klavier was actually pretty good.
Fourth and fifth cases were just awesome. You got backstory for Apollo, pretty good interaction between the cast, Pearl and Edgeworth. Pure fanservice, especially with the bit between Phoenix and Edgeworth? Yes, but that felt really good. Ultimately, it felt like a letter from Capcom saying "Sorry for the mess AA4 was, here's a game that trat its characters right. Phoenix is clearly taking a bit of a supporting role, while Apollo and Athena are the stars of the show. It really felt like the passing of the torch the previous gale should have been, but without cutting out Phoenix.
Blackquill was an interesting prosecutor, and him not dealing with witnesses's gimmicks longer than he needed was pretty good. Again, it feels like AA4 done right: you have a prosecutor that's pretty honest and looking for the truth, but still antagonistic.

e: ^^^Err, most of AA3 is a flashback. Remember that cutscene in the fourth case? It's Phoenix in an hospital bed, reading about Mia's two trials. Presumably, both 3-2 and 3-3 are also reminiscences of his two own fights with Godot, all building toward the final case's second half.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

yup. It's funny how this case takes cues from all three GBA final cases: You get the legal time limit and suspicions of patricide over a friend (or matricide here) from 1-4, the hostage situation from 2-4, and a prosecutor doing something wrong to protect a kid, like in 3-5.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Okay those bad endings are just chilling. 1-5 and 2-4 are litterally nothing next to this. Good heavens, writers, what the gently caress...

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I was talking about the motive the prosecution came up with for the defendant, rather than the motive the real culprit actually had. 1-2 is probably the best example - there was never any real reason given why Maya or Phoenix would want to murder Mia.

Well, at least here, it's a plot point that someone is pushing for the trial to convict the defendant, motive or due process be damned.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, we know she's fine. And she'll have her burgers. :unsmith:
You know what's missing to the serie, though? Being able to jump back to any TO BE CONTINUED point directly after finishing the case.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That's a question for the ages in the serie. My guess is that because it's unreliable (Remember, Gregory Edgeworth got it wrong and lied about who he thought was the culprit), and because it's useless in court. So it's not really useful at all.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

And IF the Judge would have cared for that to be admissible in court, and that's a pretty big if considering how DL-6 has apparently burned that bridge, the prosecution could have said that Metis was protecting her daughter.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

ots of good points here, Aurain, but yeah, there is a lot of characters grieving through the serie: Larry was depressed over his girlfriend's death in 1-1, Edgeworth was devastated over his dad's death, so was Phoenix over Edgeworth's alleged death, Mia was torn appart by Terry and Godot's poisonings, etc. They are just not reduced to gibbering wrecks like how a loved one dying can do because it wouldn't be very enjoyable as a story, wouldn't it?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of disagree here: You achieve victory through legal means. Aura's way would have been going through with her gut feelings and killing Athena. If you count her hostage taking as an integral part of Phoenix and friend's victory, then you could squeeze in every killer in every case's actions as impetus for Phoenix's victory as well. Hell, if you want to push that line of reasonning further, a lot of this would have been avoided had Simon been more forthcoming with evidence right off the bat. There would have been no need to resit his trial to get info about the Phantom, enabling the court to clear both him and Athena.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

:3: This is the sweetest thing, really. That whole part where Apollo is on the stand, obviously torn between his guilt over accusing Athena, and his desire to see his friend's killer brought to justice, while his theme is playing is really one of the best moments in the serie.

theshim posted:

...Persona Wright? :stare:

Now I kind of want to know what would be their arcana and persona. Phoenix would obviously be the Fool, Edgeworth the Emperor or the Hierophant, Apollo would be, well Justice or the Chariot, and Athena would be the Star.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 1, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

His bladeless iaijutsu shtick is I think a reference to the idea that with enough discipline and training, the actual sharpness of what you use is not a factor anymore. Hence him slicing things with his hands.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Franny offers a chance to plead Self Defence in 2-2, so it would be definitely possible. Regarding Phoenix defending Aura, well, I could see how now, he would, just for the sake of not letting her get screwed too blady by a prosecutor. It would kind of goes against the ending of 2-4, and well, the tone of the whole game if he was to say "screw you, you're on your own", to someone.

Artix posted:

the cases tended to drag a little with bits of testimony that didn't really add to the mystery (Hugh's whole bullshit about a body double and such immediately comes to mind),

This peculiar testimony do leads to a gem, though: Blackquill going "gently caress it, this is stupid, Athena, clean your mess, I'm grabbing a beer with Fulbright.".

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 3, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I think Wright does kindof believe that "the ends justify the means", it's just that the end he is aiming for is the conviction of the true culprit rather than a victory for his client. The examples I would give for this are:
- Blackmailing a confession out of Redd White
- Forcing Engarde to confess under threat of murder
- Convicting Kristoph under false evidence
- Changing the entire legal system just to let him convict Kristoph again

It could be an interesting source of conflict with Athena in future games.

None of those are remotely as they really happen, though. Getting White to confess was a side effect of proving White did have some dirt over someone. Phoenix was not really planning anything ahead here, considering the state he was in. Same for Engarde. Either you plead guilty, because y'know, he IS, or you don't, and Phoenix just rub in Engarde's face that De Killer is about to hunt him down. He doesn't present false evidence though. He uses the same trick as he did against Don Tigre: Lead him to admit waht he shouldn't know, withy a side order of what Franziska pulled on him in 2-2 with that picture of Maya as Mia. Underhanded, but still legal. And overhauling the system to prevent crafty killers to game the system strike me as a fairly sensible goal. On the other hand, the way Means profess that the ends justify the means is pretty much "use anything, even if illegal, as soon as you can". Day and night.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That's supposedly an allegory of the japanese courts, which has a very strong bias toward the prosecution. Regarding the dark age of the law, I don't really see the problem here: I mean it's never said that Blackquill and Wright's trials were the only responsible elements for it. Hell, it actually makes more sense if it's only the straw that broke the camel's back. The public opinion could chalk off a law enforcement type or two being corrupt but when there is a legal scandal every year for a while people are bound to lose trust in the system. Finally, it's also stated that both of those cases were highly emphatised in the press, which might have helped.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 4, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Isn't Pearl a Manakete, using Tiki outfit, though?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Whelp, you went and wrote exactly how I feel about this game, except a lot more eloquently.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, Yuri Cosmo is one of those guys that screamed "I'm the killer" to me, what with the ego and insistance he was a genius. Then the cross examinations pile up, and it just happens, that despite all the boasting and bravado, he was trying to do the right thing, which he failed, and then you rub it in his face. It was a much as of a gutpunch as watching Adrian Andrews self destructs in 2-4 or cross examinating a crying Maya at the far end of 3-5 to convict the dude who saved her.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

It's admittingly pretty obvious with Dahlia, but it's alright to me considering manipulation and seduction are what she does best.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, in 4-3, apparently, what Takami forgot to stress was that Dylan is manipulating the fact the case is linked to smuggling, and as such, pretty high profile, to try and get anyone convicted quickly.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

There was no mention of a breach or a steed in "Are!" "You!" "High! She's flying so high", so you can't be right. :colbert:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Terper posted:

His brother, on the other hand...

He's also eternal and omnipresent, can never die, can never be killed and will never leave. Only Canadian.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

It's supposed to be Phoenix's first case after getting back his badge.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Lana Skye is not around anymore, so she can't really be an asset. I think there are rumours floating around she's supposed to be dead. Oh, and the Magatama can be fooled by halftruth. In 2-4 Engarde didn't killed anyone after all.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

I also wanted to just chime in on how bad everything involving Phoenix's disbarment was. It wasn't so much that it happened, that could have been a decent plot point, but just how poorly it was explained.

Firstly, no one is questioning how Klavier knew exactly what was forged and who forged it or the fact that he didn't tell anyone ahead of time and seemingly just created a trap to win his first trial. That's suspicious as all hell.

Secondly, Phoenix was put on the case literally one day prior so there was absolutely no way he could have had forged evidence made. Not to mention he doesn't have the finances for it. Anyone with half a brain could tell he was set up, and poorly at that.

Thirdly, where was Maya to go, "Something doesn't seem right, Nick"? She's just inexplicably missing. I know she could be back in Kurain, but why even bother having a flashback if you aren't going to include Phoenix's partner?

Fourthly, why would it take seven years to do anything? At least according to that weird Mason System thing, Phoenix presented Kristoph's picture to Vera within the first year so he knew who was behind it from the start. What took so long?

Fifthly, why was he disbarred at all? We've already seen proof that Manfred von Karma and Miles Edgeworth presented false evidence and Von Karma just got a penalty and Edgeworth just got an investigation into him. Why was Phoenix stripped of his badge and made a public pariah?

Nothing about it makes any sense.

While it's a pretty poor plot development and an even worse way to send a character off (I like the guy. Learning that he spent seven years as a near hobo plotting revenge wasn't really nice). However, a couple of your points are either answered or easily explained:
Phoenix can't prove he wasn't in charge of the trial, because attorneys are only registered the day before the trial. Stupid and a bit hard to believe, but hey, it's not the only occurence of fuckery in the legal world of AA. Maya not being around, well, she's not around. It's not the fist time she went back to Kurain, and she's probably even busier now that she's the Master of Kurain. Finally, Edgeworth and Karma could get away with that kind of poo poo becuse they are influential prosecutors. Meaning they wield a lot of power. Phoenix is not on their level of political clout. That and he was disbarred by a comittee of attorneys, not the same kind of instances prosecutors would go.

What really gets me is how Klavier just goes along with Kristoph's convenient knowledge of forgery being made for a case and timing. Especially a case he was handling. And Klavier knew his brother could be a twisted bastard.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

They think "burgers" is spelled N-O-O-D-L-E-S.

e: V But will you yell "Take That!" as you do it?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm still bummed that the Dark Layton concept went unused, because those designs were loving amazing. The one in the center is my favorite of the three.

So, it's Edgeworth Layton, Klavier Layton, and Engarde Layton? Okay then.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Amppelix posted:

What's with this talk about the assistant being useless? They're there for the sake of the Player Character having someone to bounce ideas off of, and make the scenes less boring. And that they definitely do. I think it's usually pretty annoying when your sidekick inevitably hijacks the plot with their tragic backstory. Like see in AA1? Maya's part of the plot was handled in case 2, and then she's there because she's a fun character. Case 4 is all about Edgey. Case 5 is all about Ema but that doesn't count :colbert:

Which means that the only game in the serie that would fit is... T&T, arguably the best entry in the serie? JFA only has 2-2, AJ has 4-4, DD has admittingly 5-4 and 5-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Just to clarify, because I realise it's not very clear, I was talking about the sidekick hijacking the plot with their backstory. Kay, Pearl, Trucy and Athena are a lot more competent and useful than Maya. Though it's still sucked to have her gone for AJ.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 22, 2014

• Locked thread