Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god. I've already got my debit card out to buy and play the poo poo out of this. It's not even 12 hours until it's released and the wait is already intolerable :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm rushing to finish my work because I'm keeping this as a reward to myself for completing my tasks and it isn't available for download yet????? :byodood:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

goggogogogogogoogogogggogoogogogogogoogo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Amppelix posted:

Heartily agreed. In fact, Gigi put my thoughts of it on paper pretty well here (again, case 3 day 1 spoilers, do not read): http://allmarios.tumblr.com/post/65068279108/ace-attorney-5-spoilers-i-got-mad-on-twitter-and

I think the point is supposed to be that she's SUPER MASCULINE and then afterwards ~extremely feminine~ and it's funny because genders, haha. But it was reeeeaallly clumsily executed. She in fact becomes a lot more tolerable, and sometimes funny, once the writers (and hopefully, you) forget the whole thing about gender confusion the next day.

CASE 3 SPOILERS: Oh thank god it gets better at some point. I was this close to shutting the game off permanently when I got to that part. Like loving nails on a chalkboard, that was.

It really bothered the gently caress out of me because god drat that was just handled so badly. Ugh. Case 3 has been pretty good so far but that more or less shunted it to the bottom of the list. Nice going, Capcom.

gently caress, what's wrong with me. :smith:

Chaltab posted:

MAJOR CASE 3 SPOILERS:
It did seem a bit weird at first like some creepy and oddly-specific gender essentialism, but it makes more sense when you learn that it's Robin's parents who insist she present as a boy. The extreme hyperfemininity she shows after the truth comes out is likely a result of trying to pass all the time. What really puzzles me is why Robin's parents think presenting as male will help her become a prosecutor.

MAJOR CASE 3 SPOILER: Well, okay, now that I think about it I can forgive the whole "Robin's a chick" thing. I admit the whole "swinging between hypermasculine and hyperfeminine" thing does actually happen IRL to a degree - obviously Robin having to hide her gender all the time would have been stressful on her, and she's gonna take the chance to go hyperfeminine while still being used to acting hypermasculine. She'll level out with time, but still...that stage is always insanely loving annoying.

I do like that she doesn't look so anxious and worried anymore though. :unsmith: Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to these things. Maybe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Opposing Farce posted:

Man everybody's talking about these giant case 3 spoilers.

I actually kind of liked Robin's character. I definitely see how it reads to people as a weird gender essentialism thing, but I interpreted it more charitably as a case of someone who's got a conflicted gender identity and doesn't know how to reconcile it. When she's posing as a boy, she feels that she has to silence her inner femininity, which is why she has those conflicted feelings of shame and fear and joy and excitement during the Mood Matrix sequence, but once she's outed she swings hard the other way because acting like an over-the-top girly girl is the only way she knows to express her repressed femininity. Neither the shouty shonen protagonist nor the twirly, vaguely coquettish valley girl are the 'real' Robin, but her gender insecurities mean those are the only tools she has for self-expression until she can find a way to craft her own identity. It's all rendered in over-the-top anime stereotypes, but I think the underlying character dynamic is surprisingly sympathetic and relatable especially considering the spotty track record these kinds of games have with gender issues.

CASE 3 DAY 2 SPOILERS: Yeah, I think this is basically it. I'm kind of on the fence about it: on the one hand, the wild switching between hypermasculine and hyperfeminine is really annoying and seems like a caricature due to the way Ace Attorney characters are written, but that effect does happen in real life to an extent and her circumstances make it pretty understandable why that would happen. I'm not totally happy with it and I wouldn't say it's handled great, but they probably did the best they could - like, I mean, they did well considering they're Capcom. But as it stands right now, it's more like an affect or something. It comes off as very unnatural and almost offensive if taken the wrong way.

It would have helped immensely if Robin had a bit more character development by the end of Day 1 or the beginning of Day 2, and started leveling out to a more natural state. That would show that she's come to terms with the whole gender oppression and expression thing and avoided the whole "minstrelsy" vibe it gives off. As it stands right now, it's more like an affect or something than natural, well-adjusted behavior. But then again, these things do take time, and it's understandable why she'd act that way, so I'm willing to forgive it. "Good potential, but needs improvement - C+" :eng101: :beck:

The important bit is that she seems less stressed and anxious now, and that's really paramount. At least Capcom let her have that, at the very least.

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm also not sure whether to read her as a ciswoman whose parents insisted on raising her as a boy for what seems to be an utterly baffling non-reason like the game implies or as a transwoman, which would seem to a better fit for her backstory and actions. I know she has a line about being a girl in body and spirit or whatever, but I'm not convinced that should be taken at face value and even though the game probably intends the former interpretation authorial intent doesn't necessarily matter here.

According to information on the internet it's the former, but I'm guessing she's meant to invoke both of them. The mechanics behind a cis girl being raised as a boy against her will and a trans girl being raised as a boy against her will are, well, pretty much identical. If it weren't for the whole brace thing (what the gently caress is that anyway), it could very well be ambiguous enough that Robin could possibly be either in equal likelihood.

Also, am I the only person that thought the ending of the Case 3 trial was loving hilarious? Especially with proving the statue was the victim and Means writing on the board at the end. (I almost feel bad for him. Almost.)

edit ohhhhh my god i hate you spoiler tags

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 26, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How many cases are there again?

And yeah, I gotta say, this is probably tied with AA2 for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saigyouji posted:

From what I've heard, it's 5 cases, with 4 and 5 being directly connected to each other.

Yesss I'm not done yet by a long shot :getin:

drat, this is long for an AA game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Massive case 5 spoiler. Technically.

My god! It's you! I haven't seen you in years! You've grown up so much in that time! And you look...

...exactly the same. :confused:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

eating only apples posted:

Yeah that's embarrassing. It only appears like three or four times, if it helps. I don't know why they felt the need for it, all of that character's animations are pretty great. except maybe the wagging finger? Her twirl is also under scrutiny... but I liked it.

Unless Robin reappears in case 4 or 5, in which case please name and tag your spoilery replies!

CASE 3:

I don't like the twirling or the finger wagging. The latter would be better without the punctuation at the end. The hand-over-face thing, I don't really have any feelings either way. It just looks like a dumb teenager being a dumb teenager.

The pink heel animation is funny as poo poo, don't you dare knock it :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OK fair enough!

Case 3: I think the pink heel animation is a little inappropriate. That's all. I like the twirling, and the sassy finger is bad because it slows the trial down for a matter for seconds. I'm not sure what you mean about the punctuation?

I can see how it'd be offensive, but to me it's just too comical to take seriously. Fair point on that, though. And I don't like the twirling just cause I prefer more subdued actions.

The punctuation refers to when she ends her sentences like T−H−I−S! She does the action but not the punctuation thing sometimes, and it's fine then.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just finished the game.

:cry:

All in all, that was pretty loving great. It's the best of the Ace Attorney games so far.

Case 5 was...one hell of a rollercoaster. It's certainly better than 1, 3, and 4's last cases. Convoluted as gently caress, but it had some awesome moments and great thrills. Examples: Space :911:, Athena's PTSD :ohdear:, Aura/Metis :swoon: (I'm a sucker for that kinda story, what can I say), Pearlyyyyyyy :neckbeard:, Edgewoooooorth :neckbeard:, Poncooooooo :neckbeard:, Fulbriiiiiiight :gonk:, :rock: MOTHERFUCKIN' BLACK PSYCHELOCKS :rock:, all the crazy bullshit twists and turns in the courtroom :objection:, Apollo's speech at Athena's trial :cry:, Phantom's cornering and breakdown :magical:.

Also I totally called Fulbright being a bad guy back in like Case 4. He just seemed way too off to me, and by the time the Phantom became a major character it was too late to introduce someone - so I figured they'd have to surprise us with someone who hadn't gotten any development. And I was right!

By the way, you know how Athena sometimes gets that thousand yard stare in the game? It's creepy enough already, but next time you come across it, take a look at Widget.

I'd say...

AA5 >= AA2 > AA3 > AA4 = AA1.

AA2 gets dragged down by that goddamn circus case. I don't think there was an equivalent in this one. Maybe Case 3, but I give it a pass because it didn't drag on and it had :allears: Myriam :allears: who might be my favorite character in the game. She needed more face time (literally, too).

I dunno about you guys, but I like Athena. Definitely not Mary Sue material; she's the focus of the game much like Apollo was the focus of his. ...Well, actually, he wasn't really, but for the sake of the argument AA4 was his game :shrug: I hope she sticks around for the next games if there are any.

The new graphics and absolutely hilarious facial expressions/animations definitely helped breathe some life into the series. I was worried that the 3D models would look kinda weird, but they actually look better than the sprites. It's amazing how well the crazyfaces translate to cel shading (or whatever it is).

I know I bitched about Robin earlier in the thread, but now I don't think the character was all that bad. Just, kinda mishandled. Could have been better, but not really a big deal. I still like Robin, though admittedly I'm biased :shobon: I wouldn't mind seeing her in another game, if it means a chance for some more character development. Kinda like how I was glad to see Adrian in AA3.

The one thing I really didn't like about the game, though, was the anime cutscenes. The voice acting was kinda meh and they really weren't impressive enough to earn their keep. I did like the one with Juniper and Hugh, though, that was nice and creepy. Also, Athena's flashbacks.

Also gently caress you when are we gonna see MAYA. I MISS YOU MAYA come back :(

Strange Quark posted:

Hey, about case 3's first trial day: Robin being actually a girl but raised a boy? That's totally a How I Met Your Mother reference, isn't it? The name's even the freaking same.

CASE 3:

Robin's a common androgynous name, and the girl-raised-as-boy thing is old as gently caress. The translators probably did name her that as a reference, though obviously the Japanese version wouldn't have.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hedrigall posted:

edit: Also could a few people who've just finished the game pop open Activity Log on their 3DSes and tell me their total play time? A few datapoints might reveal an average, and I want to know if I can finish this off before Layton comes out :D

Play time: 27:51
Times played: 2
Average Play Time: 13:55
First Played: 10/24/2013
Last Played: 10/27/2013

I kinda marathoned it. :shobon:

Pastrymancy posted:

Play time: 20:23
Times played: 27
Played it on/off for about 3 days

I think I'll play a second time to really get all the smaller conversations/press during all the details, etc. :)

:pwn: Are you a wizard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tiistai posted:

I'm sure she took it off just to get her fingerprints on a lighter. :v:

BUT EVIDENCE IS EVERYTHING YOU CAN'T PROVE TO ME THAT 2 + 2 = 4 :byodood:

The game's writers really need to learn about falsifiable arguments and the burden of proof.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Strange Quark posted:

Huh. So it turns out if you lose all of your life bar, you get an option to try again and the games boots you to just before your last decision with a full life bar. Which is nice when you're just save scumming anyway, but it does kind of raise the question why there even is a life bar in the first place. Besides for dramatic effect, that is.

I guess so that you don't immediately get a game over and have to reload if you make the wrong decision once or twice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Putting this under end-game spoilers even if it doesn't directly concern it...

Am I the only person that really didn't like Fulbright at all?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And More posted:

For my taste, he comes off as a bit too energetic at first, eventhough I really liked his interactions with Athena during the second case and how disappointed she got when he was willing to give Phoenix all information without any coercing on her part. The moment that really sold me on Fulbright, though, was when he tasered Blackquill. That's got to be a first in Ace Attorney, right? Everybody always throws mugs, and wigs at Phoenix, but the prosecution can just get away with anything. It was really cathartic for me.

Yeah, that wasn't too bad and I liked him a little bit more after that, but still not all that much.

ENDGAME SPOILERS:

...and then we find out his actual identity and now it just seems utterly disgusting in hindsight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, this is gonna sound dumb as hell, but I still don't quite get it - what exactly is the "dark age of the law"?

Austrian mook posted:

I know there's a DLC case coming soon but any word on what DLC support is gonna look like for the future?

So far, only the first DLC is confirmed to come over. The second DLC is not coming over at all. The rest we have no idea about. Given that and Capcom's track record, it doesn't look good for neither the DLC coming over nor any more DLC being produced. :smith:

Which is bullshit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Something Ace Attorney has always been good about was giving you a big, personal investment in the final case but I didn't really feel it this time. They had all the makings of it with Trucy held hostage, Athena with homicide charges, and Apollo with his personal vendetta, but it glossed over that and focused on this guy that didn't really mean anything to us. We got a literal personification of a faceless entity. It was like Bioware's awful habit of "The Reapers" or "The Darkspawn" instead of a well constructed antagonist to single out. We could hate Dahlia or Manfred because they were twisted schemers trying to harm our beloved cast. In DD we didn't know who to hate because he didn't even know who he was. The "boss fight" with him controlling his emotions was really cool and I really loved Fulbright's reveal, but as an antagonist "The Phantom" was just another Quercus Alba coming out of nowhere at the last minute.

ENDGAME SPOILERS:

I dunno, it really does seem like 5-5 wasn't really about the phantom at all. It was all about characters we already knew - Athena (coming to terms with her past), Apollo (conflict over justice and some sorely needed character development/differentiation), Blackquill (vindication), Phoenix (the end of the dark age of the law). Everything established in Case 4 (which was kinda mediocre) was just a setup for Case 5, which I am perfectly fine with cause Case 5 was baller.

In fact, the crap about the phantom really was the weakest part of it - I couldn't care less about the actual dude behind the mask and all the philosophical identity bullshit, I was more interested in the lawyers burning the poo poo out of the guy, his epic breakdown and seeing Athena and Blackquill get revenge. Maybe I'm biased because I didn't like Bobby Fulbright at any point in the game, but he's probably the shittiest of all the Final Case Bad Guys in the entire series. RIP annoying douchebag I guess.

I agree that it would have been even more effective had we really gotten a chance to hate his guts, but the same thing that makes "his lack of identity means he isn't anyone" work, also makes it impossible to really care about taking him down. Instead, it's just kinda unfulfilling. He's like...the Yu Yevon of Ace Attorney. Who is this guy, why should I care about him, why is he the final boss, and who really gives a poo poo?

I still like Case 5 a lot. It's great. But Bobby Fulbright and the phantom can be completely cut out of the equation and it wouldn't change a drat thing. In fact, getting rid of them and having someone else be the bad guy would have improved the case.

God, I hate you, Fulbright. Even when you're dead you annoy me.

Pick posted:

He's fine but he ain't no Gumshoe and I really really really really need Gumshoe to come back :qq:.

Oh, and I think he's part of this movement to kind of make the characters even more outrageous, even design-wise. Which I think should be more reserved to bit-part characters. I don't really like core cast to have crazy designs and act too wild.

ENDGAME SPOILER

I'd bring up the fact that he's supposedly acting that way because of the whole "derr I have no emotions" poo poo, but when you really think about it that doesn't make sense at all. Whatever, I'm glad he's gone.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 28, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Scher posted:

Apparently, something happened and now false evidence and false convictions are running rampant. In other words, nothing has changed in the Phoenix Wright universe other than the game trying to hammer us over the head with how bad that all is.

That explains why you can't really feel the effects of it in the game. You can't really get any more corrupt than a 99.8% conviction rate. :shepface:

Well Manicured Man posted:

Case 5 spoilers:

Okay, I loving loved Fullbright ending up being the Phantom, that revelation and then trying to nail him through the mood matrix was boss as hell. Only problem, the whole "the REAL Fullbright has been dead for a year and the Phantom took his place!" thing really took the wind out of that moment's sails. Although we did get the incredible breakdown scene out of it.

Really, this was a great game for villain breakdowns. The weakest of them was L'Belle, everyone else had fantastic breakdowns.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Agreed. I don't want to make it sound like I disliked the case. Quite the opposite. I just didn't really care all that much about The Phantom. Maybe if Fulbright was The Phantom the whole time instead of being dead, or if "The Phantom" was just some ruse Fulbright used to draw suspicion away from himself it would have been different, but he just didn't do it for me. It's still a minor gripe in the face of the important members of the cast being their awesome selves.

ENDGAME SPOILERS (and if you finished the game, read this):

I liked bringing him down. The act of doing it was fun as poo poo. But I feel like who I was bringing down is just as important and I just couldn't give a poo poo about the guy in particular. Case 5 really is about the protagonists/main characters, and it doesn't try to hide it at all. That guy was just kind of a throwaway cardboard cutout and didn't really matter.

Holy poo poo, I just understood why they made him the last boss. :aaaaa:

Hear me out on this. The last case is all about Athena, Apollo, Blackquill and Phoenix. Everything is about getting over the past, dealing with the present, and securing a good future (or whatever). We can all agree on this. In that case, the bad guy really does not matter in the end. It could be Starbuck, it could be Tonate, it could be Means, it could be loving Oldbag for all I care. The point is, it's not about him. The identity of the bad guy is irrelevant because in Case 5 and in the long scheme of Dual Destinies, they don't really HAVE an identity, they're just there to tie up the story and character development. They're just an agent to provide thrill and drama by setting all the events of the game in motion. That's why they bring up the lack of identity issue, that's why they made his breakdown what it is. Who he is doesn't matter. He's just a tool.

The final boss of Dual Destinies is, ironically enough, the means to an end - a reason to develop the characters and something to punch so you can get the princess and save the day. Nothing more. The final boss is so nebulous and so ill-defined that the game just glosses over them - and it was always meant to do that. That's why they created the phantom. They decided not to bullshit us with saying that the villain matters any more than the main characters' struggles, so they made him a non-entity. If we think about it that way, the whole phantom bullshit actually makes sense!

Anyway, I still don't like Fulbright.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snix posted:

Now I'm just waiting for a game where Apollo, now all bandaged up, combats the "dark age of the law" in his own special way. While his ways of lawyering have long been forgotten, Apollo can slice and dice corrupt law enforcement, politicians, and government officials with his blade of justice! His enhanced precision allows him the cut enemies up accurately as the world around him slows. But he then falls to the blade of his samurai rival Simon Blackquill. With new cybernetic enhancements, Apollo once again rises, and goes after Simon and his band of allies to claim revenge.

I want this game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Austrian mook posted:

Well gently caress, I just accidentally got the final villain spoiled. How big of a reveal is this? Did I just ruin another AA game for myself because I wanted to listen to the music while walking to class?

loving youtube comment bullshit

Don't worry, you haven't spoiled much at all. It matters far less than other revelations towards the end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chaltab posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of that going on and it's much better than what I was expecting (I thought one of the robots had done it) but I do feel that (Endgame Spoilers) They sort of undermined that by delivering some pathos with their usual dish of psychotic breakdown. The Phantom remorselessly killed Athena's mom and Apollo's best friend, and while the game ultimately renders who he is irrelevant, it also asks you to empathize his whole "lost his own identity" thing. You're ultimately left with the feeling that he's so broken an individual that it's whoever ordered the initial sabotage of HAT is more accountable than he is.

I agree, it would have been better had they not tried to draw that drama out of him right at the last second. Doing that displaces the feeling that you've finally caught the bad guy (like you said), makes you feel weird by trying to empathize with him, and fucks with my theory a little.

Hey, I might not be completely correct but you can't prove I'm incorrect :objection:

Gyre posted:

This reminds me, I found an annoying piece of evidence they overlooked in case five: Fulbright's heartbeat increased when Athena stabbed him when he was disguised as Metis. It's very odd that you can't present the fact that Metis died instantly from being stabbed in the heart, so her heartbeat couldn't increase.

That tripped me up too. I noticed when Ponko first testified, kept expecting it to show up later and nobody ever commented on it. Maybe it's a mistake :shrug:

Chaltab posted:

Did anyone else get the vibe that (case 5)Aura was in love with Metis? It seemed they were implying that Aura had much stronger feelings than just coworkers/friends towards Metis, but then nothing came of it*

*aside from, you know, hostage taking and all

She most certainly was. It's all but outright stated. Also, I really really liked Aura's character and I wish they did more with her.

Between Aura and Robin, this has been the queerest AA game yet :haw:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Scher posted:

Playing through case 5 right now, and I feel that Edgeworth just really has no place there. Having him pop up all of the sudden is just a bit jarring to me. Pearl, on the other hand, I wish was in the game more. Her animations are just too adorable!

omg i know me tooooooooooooooooooooooo :3::3::3::3::3::3:

Good news! She plays a major part in the DLC case. You'll see lots of her in that one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chaltab posted:

And forcing Robin to out herself as female in court wasn't weird? Just sayin'.

But yeah, I hope she gets out of jail soon enough to appear in the next game.

You know, if there is a next game.

That was played for comedy, with all the unfortunate implications that brings. Japan is weird about a lot of things, but that part's just being dumb.

And there will be a next game. Another game with Aura, Pearl and Robin in it. There has to be :qq:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I just found the best thing ever: a bunch of the AA5 characters as Fire Emblem units. :getin:

Linked for possible spoilers (I'm covering my rear end, ok):

http://imgur.com/a/2OzmB

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gyre posted:

I love that Myriam has a wooden box since cardboard wouldn't have been invented.

Considering that almost no technological progression has happened in the 2000 years between Shadow Dragon and Awakening, poor Myriam is probably gonna be dragging that thing everywhere for the rest of her life. :smith:

Scher posted:

I kind of like how the final trial is in the ruined courthouse. I think it adds a lot to the mood for this case. Although, the animated cutscene at the beginning of trial just makes me roll my eyes. It's just so... hokey. Also, the transition to 3D has made Edgeworth look even more smug in court than before.

Yeah, I really didn't like the anime cutscenes at all. They were cheesy and badly acted, IMO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pastrymancy posted:

Who's that next to Pearl? Maya? And is that Klavier next to Edgeworth?

But really, there's only one acceptable class for Simon

I think that's Klavier, yeah. And the other girl must be Jinxie, since she's a Sorcerer. It mentions her dad being "the greatest warrior in the world", so that settles it.

And yeah, they seriously missed out on giving him Dread Fighter :v: I also would have preferred the Attorneys as Lords, but that'd be a bit too Mary Sue-ish.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I thought he was supposed to be like a bloodthirsty gladiator, considering his "normal" personality is a Roman/Greek/etc. philosopher.

His breakdown form certainly reminds me of Ares.

Austrian mook posted:

Case 3 trial 1 Wait, we have a trans character in a game? I... :stare: I did not expect that. Let's hope they can tackle this with class? Right? Oh... Oh... :smith:

I know, right? Although technically she's not trans, she still works well as an allegory for it. Robin's alright, I like her, but her character was kinda ham-fistedly executed. Hopefully she'll get more character development in a future game, just cause I wanna redeem her character.

I don't take it as an attack on me. It's not really meant to be malicious in any way, and doesn't really pass judgment on anything. It's just kinda badly executed.

Austrian mook posted:

Holy poo poo I hate Scuttlebutt.

You take that back :mad:

booksnake posted:

Endgame spoilerchat. (as noted in the quote)

This is a cool theory. But I'm not sure I'd give them that much credit. I think part of what the writers were trying to go for was that you were supposed to feel betrayed by Fulbright, who seemed to be your idiotic, but well-meaning ally for four cases (an entire year to the characters) - and who instead is this nebulous stranger. Because you never see his face, but you're can recognize him still as the individual who you met, but constantly deceived you. The revelation that he was the culprit at the same time Phoenix realizes it in the plot blindsided me nicely, in this respect, but it did end up feeling rather ridiculous once you actually start questioning him, because he's not consistently an rear end in a top hat in trial and they don't push the emotional damage he's caused enough (Apollo gets some lines about 'he killed Clay for this?' and that's about it).

But the part I see expressed in this thread that I really agree with, is that they gave up on the kind of emotional breakdown all Phoenix Wright villains do when you beat them (which is such a satisfying part of the series) by not having his Bobby Fulbright face be his actual face. Giving him the whole 'my soul is empty' sacrificed too much of his established character (and therefore the "betrayal" aspect of the player's involvement), when really, the menace of "the phantom" character is supposed to be that he is a cold bastard who kills and manipulates without remorse. If he had stayed Bobby the whole time, contrasting his previous constant talk of justice with an unmasked cruelty, you know you would've loved taking that sucker down.

But hey, the Wright-Apollo-Athena-all-at-the-bench combo owned, as a capstone to the earlier sequence where Athena was proven beyond both her own and Apollo's doubts, so yeah, maybe the phantom did work to make the personal journeys of the protagonists that much sweeter. I know I love this game for at least that.

Superstring posted:

More endgame spoilerchat:

It's true that the last case is much more about the Phoenix, Apollo, Athena, and Blackquill than the villain, but I think there's more going on there. The reason the phantom didn't have a true face (or even a proper noun for a name, in in-game speech 'phantom' isn't capitalized) is because he's basically set up to be the physical embodiment of the 'dark age of the law.' The phantom exemplifies the by any means necessary themes the protagonists are against. But also, I think the writers were also sensitive to how the fans didn't take kindly to the idea of Phoenix losing his attorney's license through forged evidence back in AJ. It's deliberate that the phantom's last false face is that of Phoenix himself. With all the talk of that trial putting an end to the dark age of the law, it felt like to me the writers were making up for what was seen as a mistake in the development of Phoenix's character and putting that mess away once and for all.

All good and valid points. I suppose there's one thing I can say for the phantom: his lack of identity makes it easy to read into his existence and make it seem better than it actually is. :v:

I was also expecting at some point that maybe, just maybe, the phantom was actually a robot or cyborg. That would explain the lack of identity and emotions. I then thought about Ponco and Clonco - they had emotions and an identity, so that wouldn't work. But they did say other nations were trying to spy on Japanifornia and (I assume) steal their technology, so it wouldn't be odd that they'd send an inferior (to Ponco and Clonco) robot assassin to steal everything.

I'm just glad we can theorycraft a lot over his purpose. It's nice :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This game really did Apollo justice.

die

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

maketakunai posted:

Did you catch what was on her laptop screen whenever she dropped it? :allears: You can see it (case 3 spoilers) here if you want. It gets mentioned sorta, though I figured Athena was just divining that from the fact that she just kept following the three of them around, but nope.

Ahahahahahahaha :allears: I wouldn't be surprised if she photoshopped herself into a group picture of them. Oh, that's amazing.

And I agree, she's one of my favorites. Plus, she makes an AA/MGS crossover more likely! :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DMC is a Capcom game, so it might be that too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is a weird question, but (in your opinions) what's the best Press conversation in the series?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's sort of hard to believe that this game is ten years after the first game. Case 5 is ten years almost to the day since Turnabout Goodbyes. Couldn't help thinking about that when Edgeworth showed. I'm surprised he didn't mention it.

You know what's crazier? The original release of AA1 was twelve years ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nerdbot posted:

Case 3 spoilers

Literally the lowest point of the series in my eyes. I liked things about it--Myriam Scuttlebutt was a great character, I loved how utterly benign Hugh's secret ended up being, and I thought that witness breakdown was funny. But none of it was worth the utter bullshit I had to wade through to get there. The whole statue-posing thing at the end felt like an insult to my intelligence, and came off more like some writer's weird bondage fetish rearing its head. There HAS to have been a better way to illustrate that point.

I think on the whole, it just had NOTHING. I disliked that Case 2 revealed the murderer straight-up on me in the beginning, but it kept the intrigue going with the "how" and "why" of it. I was interested in figuring it out, and I liked the characters. Even the infamous circus case--I hated everyone in it but I at least wanted to figure it out. There's been cases where I just want to get it over with and move on, but case 3 in this game is the first time I've ever just wanted to completely skip a chapter outright. I just didn't care.

It was so obvious that Means was the killer from the moment he ran his mouth about THE ENDS JUSTIFYING THE MEANS. In other cases in the series there's been moments where you're ahead of the characters, but in this case it felt like everyone was really, really dumb. I guess the difference was--I didn't feel like I was "ahead" of the characters so much as I felt like the characters were "behind". In previous games they would set you up to solve things better than the character by giving you, the player, knowledge that the characters didn't have, so that way the characters could be oblivious to the truth but you could solve things. Case 2 did this, even! But, In case 3 I had a picture of Means in my folder, right there on the campus, with a timestamp and everything, proving that he was at least there for part of the 6-8pm timeframe of the death, but no one thought to bring it up until AFTER freaking out about having "nothing" on Means.

I'm sure the game gets better after this, because the first two cases were so good. But Case 3 just drained so much out of me with how completely awful it was in every, single regard.

I think you're taking the game too seriously. The whole statue thing was meant to be ridiculous for the same of humor. I mean look at it, it's just so off-the-wall it's clearly not meant to be all that serious. I have my issues with Case 3 (DARK AGE OF THE LAAAAAAAAAAAAAW) but Means being the killer and the subsequent breakdown isn't one of them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ojetor posted:

Just finished the game. It was awesome.

I probably don't need to spoil this but I'm doing it just for safety (AA4 spoilers and extremely minor AA5 spoilers).

Did Capcom retcon the whole thing about Phoenix trying to get jury trials instated in the previous game? It's even implied that he succeeded at it even since case 5 is supposed to be a test run for jury trials. It's weird that it's just completely absent and unmentioned this game since it's basically the entire point of AA4. Did I miss something?

The jury trials in AA4 showed up because Japan was trying out jury trials at that point in time, and there was a big to-do about how it was finally gonna revamp the justice system.

They, uh, didn't go so well. In fact, I think they made things worse. So the entirety of Japan is pretending they never happened, not just Capcom.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Something I really want to know about now is what Kristoph's black locks were all about. The common theory was originally that he was guarding his secret so tightly, he wouldn't have confessed even if Phoenix had evidence to present but thanks to Pearl, now we know they're for a subconsciously guarded secret. What trauma is he suffering besides his own insanity?

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. In all likelihood, though, Takumi probably intended it to be something other than the explanation we get in AA5 - so it wouldn't necessarily apply to him. Either way, I like the idea of the black locks being "hidden from yourself" as opposed to "hidden from others". I hope they show up again, but I don't know if they can be used to great effect after their appearance in AA5. That might have been the best way they could use them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gutcruncher posted:

Case 3
So the mock trial is meant to reasonably simulate how a real trial would go, yes? Juniper is in charge of sound which includes a musical score. Does this mean... could it...

All that dramatic music during trials is REALLY THERE?! FUCKIN AWESOME

Oh it better be. :getin:

poo poo, I'd be a lawyer in Japanifornia. As long as I don't get killed, anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've finished it now.

The last case was pretty amazing, and I think the culprit reveal was well done even if I had started to suspect Fulbright after his strange burst of generosity in case 4.

Are we to take it that The Phantom was actually interfering with every other case, considering that he had masks of people from those cases available? If so, are there any obvious examples of this? I guess his mask could be an MGS4 sortof thing but you'd still expect him to use it for something other than just impersonating Fulbright.

e: I'm not including case 1 in this obviously.

I think he's just using their likenesses as a way of proving his point: he doesn't really have an identity apart from "generic bad guy". He could be anyone as far as we know. I don't think he interfered with any of the cases, though. He had no reason to.

Basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4N5OhcY9s&t=135s

Incidentally, if anyone still cares about That One Character from Case 3, I wrote a post about it. Case 3 end spoilers, natch: http://retrocombine.tumblr.com/post/65641724866

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 1, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress is Robin wearing, anyway? What is that thing? All I can find is something about an old manga and I don't think it actually exists in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snix posted:

Wait, this an issue? (More case 3 spoiler) The situation here is that Robin is a female in every sense of the word. Biologically and mentally. She does not identify as a male. The reason she posed as male is because she was pretty much forced to. No, having her go from super-masculine to super-feminine is not anti-trans, and anyone who thinks that is either not thinking about it at all, or thinking that just to have something to be outraged about.

I'm actually writing up a reply to someone who claims that Robin's issues with gender expression, her brace, and her being outed - to her relief - "drudges up negative experiences transgender people have and ends them with the most asinine moral". Also, that she is not receiving the proper level of respect and that the game does not acknowledge the hardships that real people in their position have.

I'm having trouble understanding their point, prolly cause it's late, but there is definitely a big to-do about Robin. (Frickin' Tumblr.)

• Locked thread