Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Can I get that Dragon's Dogma deal from Amazon in Australia or are the codes region locked or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Douche4Sale posted:

Those deals are through the Xbox live website and dashboard...so no?

Sorry not sure what i was thinking there, must have confused it with the steam thread. I guess since its a black Friday deal i probably won't be able to get it in Australia.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

As someone who is finally getting a 360 because now it's the time to start collecting games for it before the prices skyrocket, what are the must-have exclusives? Obviously there's Halo, which one is considered the best? I like action games, FPS games, driving games, and basically anything with explosions and non-stop action. Console cross platform is fine as I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 controller, but no games that I could play also play on PC (unless the ports suck goat balls) because that's obviously my platform of choice for multiplatform games when I'm not loving around on my 3DS. I've already grabbed Raiden Fighters Aces and Forza Motorsport 4.

My only hardware questions are that since I intend to build my collection slowly and I only have a couple games, can I get away with using a 32GB flash drive for now because the prices for the hard drive are kinda steep, and has the build quality improved? I'm getting an R2-D2 slim and I'm hoping I don't encounter the dreaded Red Ring of Death.

I've basically been doing the same thing, coming up with a list of quality games that weren't ported to pc:

Red Dead Redemption
Gears of War 3
Halo Reach is the Halo I've enjoyed the most
MGS HD 2, 3, Peace Walker
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
EDF 2017
SSX (2012)
Vanquish (Haven't played this one yet but it sounds pretty great)
Crackdown was also pretty awesome back when it came out but I'm not sure how well it will have aged.

From what I've heard the slims are very resistant to the RROD so you should be fine.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

barren_sky posted:

How do you break SSX?
I don't play too often because i'm awful at it, but i'll add you anyway! My GT is Tele Viper

You can use the wingsuit to basically skip 90% of the track on some levels. Also there's a glitch with the wingsuit where you can get a pretty massive forward speed boost if you deploy it just as you start a jump. I think they really should have disallowed the wingsuit on race mode (on the non-wingsuit runs anyway), since personally the fun of the game is getting down the run on the ground, not flying over most of it.

e: I'll add you guys as well. GT ThatTangent and there shouldn't be many runs where I'm breaking the game.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I've been somewhat inadvertently playing the series in reverse order. Started with Reach because it was the first halo to catch my eye in the trailers and such and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Then played odst because the structure sounded interesting, and I liked the idea of playing more of a regular dude than a spartan. Ended up enjoying it quite a lot too, great atmosphere. Now playing Halo 3, not quite as good as reach but it's still pretty fun.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

goethe gear xx posted:

After Grid 2 I'll probably check out Dirt 3, anyone have thoughts on that?

Have you played Dirt 2? Personally I enjoyed Dirt 2 a fair bit more than Dirt 3, not really sure why. I think the tracks were more thrilling to drive on. For both games though the non-rally events are pretty dull, and I think you have to play at least a few of them to progress through the game unfortunately. Despite that Dirt 2 is still my favourite racing game, it's so exciting to go flying down a tiny dirt road on the side of a steep mountain or through a jungle/canyon while only barely in control. These games have a fantastic sense of speed.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

They don't make them like that because they're pretty drat fragile when retracted so if you use them in Not as poo poo mode too much they can break.

I've seen a couple of people say this on this forum but I've certainly never had a problem with it. I bought the silver twisting dpad controller when they first came out and have used it heavily since then and the dpad (always had the plastic bits retracted) is fine.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

My 360 started recently making this weird grinding noise when I turn it on and it does for like 1 or 2 after starting up and is the completely fine for the rest of the time. I think it's the disk drive going, does anybody have opinions on it?

My 360 did that for a long time and never broke, I always thought it was the fan but I wasn't sure.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Gnack posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has tried purchasing US games through Xbox Live and successfully played them in Australia (or other regions). In particular I'm wondering about the South Park game since the Australian copy is censored and I'd rather get the whole thing.

I did exactly this with ssx, worked fine but I made sure it wasn't region locked first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I've had two 360s, one of them a brand new slim I just got recently. I've used them on two different monitors and a tv. I've used them with multiple different HDMI cables.

I have always seen that problem with the dark colours on all those configurations. This is on a HDMI-HDMI connection too. I've played around with the black level settings, it doesn't make any difference. Research I've done on this problem indicates it's just the way it is on the 360.

e: All the solutions I have found just say they reduced the brightness on their tv/game settings and now it's hard to see the banding. I don't think there's a way to get rid of it. If you google "360 dark color banding" you should see plenty of other people with this problem, particularly on GTAV and Dragon's Dogma. I've also noticed it's really bad in SSX in dark tunnels.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 24, 2014

• Locked thread