Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It would just be wrong to vote for anyone except zeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is it spoilers to talk about some of the absurdly wacky alternate history factions that need to be unlocked?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

I would rather wait for people to talk about the Alternate History stuff for when I finish the Zeon play-through. Partly because quite a few of them are related to Zeon and the One Year War in general, and I'd like for most people who have never heard of this series at least get a feel it before we start talking about the crazy stuff like Tem Ray's Army.

Of course, if you absolutely need to mention something from the AH stuff, just keep it in spoiler tags and I won't really mind.

The one you spoilered is my favorite. I will hold back sperging on a lot of this stuff until the appropriate time. I absolutely love this series, and have put more hours into it than any other game series out there. I'd love to see a game like this made for the Gundam SEED universe though, just to have a bit more variation. I'm curious though, do you prefer this version to Shin Giren no Yabou(not sure how people typically translate it, Gihren's Greed Neo? New Gihren's Greed? Whatever, the newest game in the series, after this one)?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

This version is the only one I've ever actually played. From what I've head about Shin, it adds a whole lot of improvements to the gameplay, but then cuts a whole bunch of the content and turns it into DLC.

The series in general has had huge changes in mechanics between versions. Comparing Threat of Axis to War for Zeon Independence is like night and day mechanically. Shin isn't quite as huge of a difference, but there are still huge difference in gameplay compared to Threat of Axis. I will say that the mechanics change in Shin make it a significantly more difficult game. However, like War For Zeon Independence it again cuts the gameplay down to the one year war, although you can get Z/ZZ/CCA/Unicorn suits as DLC if you want them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Onmi posted:

Also, sticking General Revil in a Tank/Gundam and watching him go to town as he eventually pops newtype powers, being so lawful that he convinces Scirocco that he's the god drat perfect ruler, is never NOT hilarious.

This is the one thing that I love the most about playing as the feddies. Sticking Revil in a Gundam and having him lead from the front lines as a super badass mobile suit pilot is awesome.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ethiser posted:

What? How do they explain that one? If Axis comes first I'd almost say the creation of the Titans was justified. Especially if you look at all the Zeon remnants that pop up post Haman Khan.

Sidenote: Did the Titans ever actually stop an anti-federation movement? If post Zeta Gundam stories are anything to go by every desert had its own fully functioning Zeon remnant group.

Because it would be silly for the titans to be at war with the federation right after being formed wouldn't it?

This is going slightly into mechanics of the game, but one of the main reasons that the later scenarios are pretty trivial is that with the exception of special suits your research isn't really restricted to the segment of the story you are in.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sometimes you get really lucky with stealing tech, like playing the federation and getting the zaku ii when you a are relying on tanks and planes for close combat.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Sandman posted:

Well, I'm going to guess that "Amuro going through our guys like a Heat Hawk through butter" is a big part of it.

Pretty much. It basically comes down to "If you put one of your aces in a place that White Base will be, they will probably die."

One thing to keep in mind is the canonically, by the end of the war Zeon was throwing absolute rookies onto the front line because everyone else had died pretty much. So it stands to reason that if you follow all the canon decisions you are going to suffer a lot of plot death, generally at the hands of Amuro.

Being 100% law in some scenarios does have an affect on how the last part of the game plays out, but I don't know if that would be too much of a spoiler so for now I will stay silent on it.

Being Law/Chaos do bring their own benefits. We will see the ones for being high law, but being chaos enables some absolute silly stuff(I believe they were available in this one at least) such as colony drop operations on a whim, solar lasers for the fun of it, shooting the colony laser whenever you want, etc.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

I don't know why everyone is voting all of a sudden. The game doesn't stop you from using all of the aces at your disposal, or from fielding them wherever.

Well, could always vote for squad makeups. Unless I'm the only one who generally always uses fixed squads of aces.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

letmun posted:

Just wondering do people like shin matsu get there exact custom or do they have to slum it in a normal suit

Most/all aces that are known to have custom suits are able to get them in this game. The main problem being that since most of Zeon's pilots were canonically killed in the war most of them don't go beyond the Zaku II.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

quote:

Ah, a point in a war when you can see evenly matched numbers and expect to soundly win even when none of your guys are aces.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pimpmust posted:

Secondly, aces that are shot down by grunts are not killed, but go in the K.O box until they return some time later (I'm not sure on the exact mechanism here, slightly random hospital stay?).

He covered that when he went over the ace stats, because one of their stats determines how long it takes them to recover from being shot down.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Arbite posted:

Good first turn.

The thing that really annoyed me in this and other games in the series (apart from unlimited strategic resources for the enemy) was being unable to attack Luna 2 until near the end of the game and having to park two fleets at either end of it to prevent a breakout.

You think that's bad, the aeug's position in space is horrible, with only being able to take the colonies and have to leave all the bases intact

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really love this series, but one thing I miss in this one as opposed to War for Zeon Independence(the older PS2 one with 3d battles) is that you can optionally play the Battle of Loum, including being able to use nuke-equipped ZakuIIs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've beaten this game more times than I can count, as most of the factions, but I have one thing I've never managed to do that I was wondering if the other people in this thread may be able to help me figure out. I have never, in all of my runs as AEUG, been able to keep Argama mode on post-Jaburo. I never seem to get the prompt to send the Zeta to the Argama when I finish researching it. I usually wait until after Jaburo so that I can get the 30% nuke instead of the 50%, but then when I finish the Zeta I never get an option to send it to the Argama and eventually they are defeated and show back up in Granada. As a result I've never been able to get Amuro and the Hi-Nu as the AEUG. Anyone have any guesses what I'm doing wrong?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Onmi posted:

My only guess is that you triggered the events too late If you're worried about the 50% forces loss thing, send a single unit into Jaburo and watch the enemy annihilate themselves while he sits his rear end there and doesn't care

I don't even know why I'm so worried about it anyways, I always just drop a single Argama down there, maybe with a few suits that never leave it, for the first battle and then drop my real troops after the nuke. Maybe I will try just doing Jaburo and researching the Zeta quicker.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pimpmust posted:

That loving submarine of the coast of africa :argh:

Whats even better is subs when you drop on Odessa.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CornishGH posted:

Don't forget that you get free copies of anything you research as a "prototype", so by necessity you'll have (at least) TWO White Base/Gundam/Guncannon/Guntank sets running around, plus the Proto-Gundam. Yazan in the Gundam with Revil in the White Base as support is a sight to behold.

How dare you put Revil in anything that isn't a mobile suit.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Char is in a non-char custom suit, what is wrong with you?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jegan posted:

Pilots and mechs, yes. Plot, no.

Similar to how Threat of Axis V has mechs from Hathaway's flash, but no plot from it. Which is probably for the best in the case of Flash.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TNG posted:

Ooooh, tech level 2. Goufs, all the time every time.

Great campaign so far. Can't wait until you start to diverge from history and take over Jaburo.

Also, is it possible to run a bunch of weird Mobile Suits from all the MSV stuff like the Efreet and the Pezun Dowadge? For a bit of a challenge.

The efreet is frankly unfair it is so awesome.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

Building new units may be cheaper, but that would require me to wait for them to finish building. Upgrading, however, gives me the unit I need right when I need it. Which is great for Zeon because they need to press that early MS advantage as hard as they possibly can and to always keep on the offensive, at least until they have Kilimanjaro.

My biggest problem with this is something you have managed to avoid so far: subs in an area that you cannot capture all the supply bases without water units of your own. More often than not I end up with a sub in new yark, causing my invasion to ground to a halt until I can deal with them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Do you intend to actually use the prototype gouf? It isn't actually necessary to research for the mass produced versions.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

It's not? I just got it because once it's done I get access to the MS-07A.

I'll probably just hand over the free one to either Doan or Nimbus and never make another one.

The variants are Desert, Cannon and Marine, respectively.

You also unlock the MS-07A when you reach the next level of MS development.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Things can start changing once the AI starts fielding mobile suits. The first huge wave of MP Guntanks and the later mass Gundam invasion can really be a shock and do a lot of damage.

Also, keep in mind that prior to this last turn the AI couldn't attack him. Now that has changed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Basarin posted:

The AI sensibly prioritizes the crash development of MS like the player would; it's the only way they're going to stand a chance beyond stalemating Tobias.

Also, aquatic mobile suits aren't necessarily bad, though I grant you that they're pretty goofy looking. Suits like the Hygogg pack a serious punch, though, and can thoroughly ruin your day if you're not ready for them. The opening sequence of War in the Pocket is a good show of just how effective they can be if assigned for the right job.

The AI is also smart enough to do huge mass production of GMs once they get researched and send out good sized forces of them in my experience. Things get a bit diceyer once the feddies start putting those forces to work, at least until you can get up to some of the more OP suits like the efreet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SleazyBakeOven posted:

Does the Guntank need to be researched independently? Or does it fall under an umbrella "Project V" research project?

You start the "Project V" project like the invasion missions for Zeon, which opens up research to the core fighter. Finish that and you can research the Guntank. Then the Guncannon when you finish that, then the Prototype Gundam(RX-78) and then finally the RX-78-2 Gundam.

As for the ships, just for comparison:

Salamis-class ship
Overall Height 61.3 meters

Overall Length 198 meters

Overall Width 68.5 meters

Max Weight 22000 metric tons

Gwazine-class ship(Gihren's ship)
Overall Height 103.0 meters

Overall Length 440.0 meters

Overall Width 320.0 meters

Max Weight 108100 metric tons

The Magellan that Revil was piloting is slightly better:
Overall Height 96 meters

Overall Length 327 meters

Overall Width 102 meters

But really the Gwazine-class was the biggest and most heavily armed space ships in the war, and a single Gwazine could destroy multiple federation ships on its own.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 9, 2014

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Though speaking of that, we should totally mass produce the Gyan instead of the Gelgoog. Just for laughs.

The Gyan Krieger is nothing to laugh at. It is one of my favorite suits in the Gihren's Greed games.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The hildolfr is an excellent artillery piece, better than anything else zeon gets I am pretty sure. In voting yes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Basarin posted:

Yes to the Hidolfr. Of all the dead end projects fielded by that unit, that one seemed to hold the most promise. (The others, not so much).

The Big Rang was pretty neat too. Probably would have been even better if it had been piloted by a real pilot instead of a scientist.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

:siren: VOTING IS NOW CLOSED! :siren:

No: 13

Yes: 35

Looks like we're going to be getting the Hildolfr. Next update will be up on Wednesday.

Farewell crazy tank guy, you died as you would have wished, getting zeon to actually use a tank.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Onmi posted:

don't be. Gihren's Greed is ALL ABOUT the obscure poo poo.

Did it happen in UC between the start of the oyw and Hathaway's flash? Yes? Congrats, it is in this game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You gave Kelly, I think his name was, the prototype Gouf? Granted I know its more of a souped-up Zaku II as opposed to a proper Gouf, but I was hoping someone cooler would be piloting it.

IIRC, the "A" Model Gouf lacks the machinegun hand and the heat whip/tenticle, yes?

Correct, the MS-07A has a bazooka and heat hawk like a zaku. It's advantages are mobility, health, and evasion.

Plus you can upgrade the A to the B when you finish research.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tobias Grant posted:

Because while Magella tanks are great, I just never found a reason to really use them for anything other than garrison duty. And personally I just don't like the Magella Cannon upgrade because it eats up too much energy for my taste.

Yes. However doing that kinda forces you to use a colony drop in order to attack Jaburo if you decide against using the specialized Jaburo suits.

it also requires you to be constantly researching to get the Dom in time for the event, which if you spend several turns building your forces back up you may not make in time.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Basarin posted:

The Gouf variants are probably some of the best ground mobile suits Zeon's ever fielded. As hinted by the shows, though, you don't see TOO many of them; you're more likely to see the Zakus, peppered with the occasional Dom.

Out of curiosity, do the MS-07s come in groups of three, or are they single units?

With the exception of the prototype and the gouf custom, aka the best suit ever they come in 3s.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm going to vote Yes simply because I never complete all the 603 events and want to actually see the Big Rang in this game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently they've not only fixed the breakup problem, but say the new and improved Saturn engine will propel the improved EMS-10 Zudah to even faster speeds.

In reality they had made no such improvements, they just said that to try and get the suit used.

That said, if we don't get the Zudah than we can't get the rest of the 603rd events and get the Big Rang at the end.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

RentACop posted:

I know it can cover the time frame, but does this game simulate the three way Axis/AEUG/Titans conflict?

Yes. When axis shows up in the zeta events time frame they become a third faction.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pimpmust posted:

The Gelgoog and Hizack are pretty similiar in performance, but I believe that the Hizack can only pick between using close combat beam weapons and long ranged ones, not use/carry both at the same time. Got better sensors though.

Here's the stats:

MS-14A Gelgoog
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1440 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 2 x 24500 kg, 5 x 2500 kg
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 0.84 G; 180-degree turn time 1.5 seconds; maximum ground running speed 180 km/h
Equipment and design features: sensors, range 6300 meters

RMS-106 Hizack
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1428 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 4 x 16200 kg; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 10
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration: 1.09 G
Equipment and design features: sensors, range 8900 meters

The Gelgoog Jäger shits all over the Hizack though (Except for the main sensor):
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1490 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 3 x 24500 kg, 5 x 21000 kg; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 24
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 2.22 G; 180-degree turn time 1.4 seconds; maximum ground running speed 192 km/h
Got beam-guns in the forearms too.

The Gelgoog Marine got worse acceleration than the MS-06F2 Zaku II, too fat for its own good.

Wonder how the (superior) Gyan Krieger would measure up in those regards. Sadly we don't have those kinds of stats for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Midjack posted:

Yes, British already happened but towards the end if we make the right choices we get the option for Operation British II.

I'm not sure if it is an option in this particular game in the series, but I know that at least in some of them if you tank your alignment low enough colony drops are a regular operation you can activate just like an invasion! As are things like the solar ray, colony laser, solar system, etc

Going to vote no because Garma is just too cool to kill off! And that hair!

• Locked thread