Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

It's just skins that vaguely modify some abilites, not entire characters. I'm going to say right now that it probably won't be a huge loss if you will never be able to get them, but I guess if it matters so much to you, then do what you feel like, man :)

I actually do agree that it's not incredibly worth it, but if you think you may want them at any point in the future, I probably would factor that in too if you want to preorder or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

quote:

• The swing is more natural than in the previous Amazing Spider-Man tie-in, asking players to alternate pressing the left and right triggers as they move from one emergency to the next.

http://www.gamesradar.com/amazing-spiderman-2-hero-or-menace/

Here's the walkthrough video Beenox promised. It contains swinging clips, fighting, and some stealth all from ASM2 in about 13 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZhLA9UT_c

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll most likely pick up the game on April 30th or May 1st and won't play it until I see the movie on May 2nd.

As much as I trust Beenox to make, at the very least, a decent game, I don't trust then to not spoil the movie. They promised the first one wouldn't and it did so within the first 10 minutes. :v:

I'll give my first few impressions here after the 2nd of May.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Now that my vacation is over, I can post more stuff.

I found a 3 minute, 10 second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437-_Hy2YOY

The person who posted this is claiming it's from the Xbox 360 version however, these look like the actual ASM 2 scenes from the walkthrough video.

Either way, someone is ALSO claiming that Beenox is working more on the 360/PS3 version of the game instead of working on the Xbone/PS4 version. This is most likely true because Activision rarely ever ports down for cross-platform games if it's all from the same developer. Beenox already said that the PS3 and PS4 versions are identical so I'd say that they most likely just ported up from last-gen to current-gen.

Not sure if this is from the 360 version but, hey, if you wanted to know which was from ASM 1 and which was from ASM 2, here you go. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OBu8jGtms

Well, the game screenshots and videos that we've been shown so far ARE from the Xbox 360/PS3 version of ASM 2. Beenox told Greg Miller from IGN that not only are the video clips they showed recently are from the 360/PS3 version, they're also focusing on the 360/PS3 version moreso than the One/PS4 version. This would explain why Beenox stated on Twitter that the game will be identical between the two generations of consoles.

According to Greg, who got to play the 360 version at GDC, the game doesn't look very good to him but it's still a fun game. The swinging is completely changed from all other Beenox Spider-Man games and can be tough to get used to, but once you do it's fun. Overall, the game is more of an updated Amazing Spider-Man.

Each suit (there are 15 in total...this info coming from the walkthrough video) can be upgraded just like Spider-Man himself.

As for the game itself, it's a sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man the Video Game and is parallel to the ASM 2 movie and sometimes crosses over with events during it but, overall, isn't a straight up story rip as it does it's own thing. ASM 1 was separate from the movie in that it was set after the events of it but had it's own Rhino and everything.

Basically, I'd just call the ASM games nothing more than a What If? on the franchise that Sony is trying to (re)build.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 25, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sef! posted:

I liked ASM quite a bit for what it was. Sure, it was Arkham-lite, but it was fun. I was probably going to pick up ASM2 anyway, but hearing that Beenox is returning to the SM2 webswinging mechanics makes it a must-buy for me. Also, hopefully they keep the realtime suit damage from the first game. I loved that.

They most likely will. It was a big thing in ASM 1 and in Edge of Time.

Beenox also confirmed on their Twitter that a new ASM 2 game trailer will be coming this Thursday.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Again, don't mean to do a double-post but the actual walkthrough trailer is out today along with two articles and the Iron Spider costume and abilities for it.
First off, the final preorder costume's look and bonuses have been revealed.

The Amazing Spider-Man Video Game on Facebook posted:

The Iron Spider armor enhances Spidey’s natural abilities with cutting-edge technology! In-game abilities include:
• DURABILITY: Any damage towards Spider-Man is reduced
• FIRE RESISTANCE: Fire damage is reduced
• BALLISTIC RESISTANCE: Damage caused by ballistic weapons are reduced

I like this exchange from Beenox to a fan:

Khalid Brooks: Not trying to be funny but if we have a spider-sense why would I need to worry about bullets? Shouldn't I be able to dodge them?
The Amazing Spider-Man Game: Spider-sense or no, even Spidey takes a hit once in a while. In fact, it happens in the comic where he dons this armor for the very first time (ASM #529). If you haven't read it, check it out! It's a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JJzq5BCqo

This walkthrough is using the PS4 version and shows nothing but gameplay for 5 minutes, 31 seconds. It looks like the whole reason we're able to play as Peter is due to fans constantly asking for it. Thanks to the video, we have a look at a few more suits from the game.

• Superior Spider-Man (second version, seen in Superior Spider-Man #14)
  • Spider-Man 2099
  • Amazing Spider-Man (2012 movie)
  • Scarlet Spider (Kaine)
  • Vigilante (2012 movie, before he makes his suit)
  • The Hornet
  • Flipside
  • Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
  • Big Time
  • Ricochet

There's one suit on there that I'm not sure what it is, black and yellow that looks like Big Time but it's not, you can see it at 2:33 in the video. Anyway, this is 10 out of the 15 suits the game has (not counting the four preorder suits).

Thee was an interview with PlayStation Lifestyle.net and gave some interesting answers. It's a small article, but I won't post everything. Some key points are:

• While they are fans of Treyarch's run with Spider-Man, Beenox didn't really use Spider-Man 2 as inspiration. Instead, the game they focused on with ASM 2 is ASM 1.
  • The city is the same size as the first Amazing Spider-Man but with more in it. A lot of the story takes place outside instead of mostly indoors as ASM 1 did.
  • The only real changes between PS3 and PS4 are graphical and it will support PS VITA Remote Play.
  • Beenox didn't really work with Sony Pictures on anything from the game and opted to do things their own way, making the story separate. They worked more with Marvel than Sony.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/03/26/the-amazing-spider-man-2-interview/

Finally, Beenox also did an interview with PlayStation.com:

Beenox posted:

You’ll notice the combat scenario we show off in the video takes place in an open, outdoor environment. We’ve got this great wide world to play with in Manhattan, and we thought it would be a shame to just restrict you to a series of linear corridors. That’s not fun for you or for us. So indoors and out, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 tries to give you legroom, with enough space to explore and experiment.

As you can see in the combat section of the walkthrough, you can go wherever you want in this area, which really frees you up to do whatever you want, too, from stealth prowess to up-close-and-personal combat, and we’ve expanded Spidey’s skill set to reflect that.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/27/the-amazing-spider-man-2-ps4-video-walkthrough/

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 27, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The combat still looks like the same kind of crappy, low-rent Arkham ripoff, but everything else is pretty impressive. Hope the bigger outdoor missions doesn't just mean two buildings next to each other like that. It's also difficult to judge whether there's any weight to the swinging; a lot of the feel is going to come down to the controls. It looks much better than the first game, that's for sure, but we have yet to see if the general mission design has improved. Hopefully there are no gargantuan lovely sewer levels.

Better than the incredibly obvious rip-off in Shattered Dimensions. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like there's a bit more info on swinging from an old article that PlayStation.com wrote about the game (refrencing the PS3 version at that time). The information comes from the comment section of the article.

quote:

+ Naustradamus on January 30th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:
“Web-swinging works a bit differently this time around, and if it’s always bothered you that Spidey can somehow soar above the city, shooting webbing into thin air rather than swinging through it, you’ll be pleased to learn the web-head now attaches to actual objects in the environment.”
Ever since Treyarch made the original spider-man games, I’ve missed this feature! I keep hoping and will continue to do so, that the combat becomes fun and responsive, but until then, the web-slinging was the fun thing in spider-man 2 …. could spend hours just swinging around, trying to swing as fast as I could.
I hope you have the same swinging mechanics in this game as spider-man 2. the complex control scheme was difficult to get used to, but game you SO much control when used to it!

+ Stephane Gravel on January 31st, 2014 at 7:57 am said:
It’s hard to compare, but our web swinging system is different than in the previous game. You now need to use the right or left trigger to swing right or left, plus you can boost with the opposite trigger (if you swing with the right trigger and then press the left trigger your will gain momentum). If you release early, you will go further, if you release late, you will go higher. Also, since the web attach to structures, depending on how far you are on the left or the right of the attach point, your turn will be sharp or not.

Stepane Gravel works for Beenox as an Executive Producer. He did work on ASM 1, Shattered Dimensions, and I don't know if he worked on Edge of Time.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/30/the-amazing-spider-man-2-building-a-better-playground/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

That's a good idea, to use the opposite shoulder button for speed boost. Nice economy of button use there. Though it does shatter any hope that you could do two-line swinging. For all the good the movies have done in terms of raising Spider-Man's profile and showing how cool webswinging is, it's always bothered me slightly that they chose to make his webswinging a pattern of swiiiiiing-fly through the air for a while-then swiiing, when from the comics and cartoons I was used to him keeping the freefall aspect to a minimum and overlapping his use of both weblines.

The kind of stuff he does in the chase after Uncle Ben's killer. Like at 1:20 here, where he holds one line at the top of the swing going around the corner as he connects another line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouG3PqGxTmM&t=75s

Two-line swinging also helps make things a bit more intuitive in terms of keeping him from smashing into buildings because in videogames your webline is attached diagonally while you more or less swing straight ahead.

I actually remember a Sci-Fi documentary (or maybe History Channel...?) about Spider-Man saying that the swing mechanics actually were realistic in how the movies have them where he swings, lets go of the web at the highest point, then falls for a bit to aim and shoot, catching himself and propelling himself forward at the same time.

Also, Beenox REALLY wants people to see the PS4 trailer:

The Amazing Spider-Man Game on Facebook posted:

Did you catch Beenox's exclusive developer walkthrough on the PlayStation blog?
If not, here's some of what you need to see:
Trigger-based webslinging mapped to the left and right arms. No buildings? No swing.
Play as Peter Parker.
New stealth system.
Alternate costumes.
... Seriously, check out this video. It's what you've been waiting for.

EDIT: Going over yesterday's PlayStation.com article about the PS4 version, I found some more interesting answers.

PlayStation.com Blog posted:

+ CrusaderForever on March 27th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:
Looks really good, I am impressed. My son and I are going to love this on the PS4. So glad you got rid of the sky swinging, just wasn’t realistic and hindered the immersion. Can you tell me if there is going to be a ton of collectibles like ASM1? I sure hope so as I loved collecting the comic pages. Also, not sure, but I thought I read some where that there is going to be never ending enemy scenarios in the city after you finish the main story, can you elaborate on this? One more thing, can you verify Vita Remote Play as well? I know all PS4 games excluding camera enabled games have it, just want to make sure. Great work, look forward to playing your game.

+ Thomas Wilson on March 28th, 2014 at 7:22 am said:
Yes, there will be collectibles in the game. Comic Pages are back, as well as Unlockable Comics. There will be Audio Logs and Tech Bits as well (used to upgrade your arsenal). Also, random crimes will continue to occur when you are done with the main adventure. The game does support Vita Remote Play as well.

quote:

+ iREVOLTER on March 27th, 2014 at 10:37 am said:
I hope there will be a lot of costumes (I want the Noir one) already on the disc and not as paid dlc, please. 1st was ok, this one looks improved. I hope the story will be as well.

+ Thomas Wilson on March 28th, 2014 at 7:31 am said:
There will be 13 costumes that can be unlocked through the course of the game. 6 costumes will be available as gift with purchase and/or downloadable content.

The costume bit seems weird...the video that was from the GDC said 15 costumes with 4 preorder ones. If there are only 13 in-game, 4 preorder from GameStop, then the final 2 must be from maybe Amazon preorder?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 28, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Movies are more or less fine, though many of the shots are cheated a bit with the camera moving around and cutting away to different shots, but in the videogames you can swing down a street in one full arc without ever touching the building you're anchored to even though any pendulum swing away from the object you're anchored to is impossible without some kind of crazy wind coming from the right direction. You just hold the analog stick in the other direction to represent your sheer force of willpower breaking the laws of physics, like how the games have often had a Double Jump.

My thing with the movies was more of a style choice than the actual physics.

Double Jump has always been weird. They replaced it in ASM with a much higher jump if you jump outside. As for the physics in swinging, they might be taking it more into account for this game.

Found another answer confirming the collectables in the game.

quote:

+ CrusaderForever on March 27th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:
Looks really good, I am impressed. My son and I are going to love this on the PS4. So glad you got rid of the sky swinging, just wasn’t realistic and hindered the immersion. Can you tell me if there is going to be a ton of collectibles like ASM1? I sure hope so as I loved collecting the comic pages. Also, not sure, but I thought I read some where that there is going to be never ending enemy scenarios in the city after you finish the main story, can you elaborate on this? One more thing, can you verify Vita Remote Play as well? I know all PS4 games excluding camera enabled games have it, just want to make sure. Great work, look forward to playing your game.

+ Thomas Wilson on March 28th, 2014 at 7:22 am said:
Yes, there will be collectibles in the game. Comic Pages are back, as well as Unlockable Comics. There will be Audio Logs and Tech Bits as well (used to upgrade your arsenal). Also, random crimes will continue to occur when you are done with the main adventure. The game does support Vita Remote Play as well.

The costume thing is still kind of bugging me though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

It's probably just a bunch of no-combat story sequences. God forbid this game actually has Peter Parker stealth gameplay or something idiotic like that.

The Parker gameplay seems to be just him solving crimes when he can't be Spider-Man at that moment.

This is what GameInformer saw/played for a story mission:

GameInformer posted:

In a demo of a story mission, I saw a few of the other new systems in play as well. The section begins as Peter Parker enters a private fund-raising event. Players get to control Parker, which Beenox says is something that will be part of the overall experience. He’s there to propel the plot along; when it’s time to fight or save people, he’ll need to don his costume. Parker runs into Harry Osborn, and they begin to talk. Players can choose between several dialog options. The conversation turns to the Fisks, and how Osborn thinks they're into illegal activities. Just then, a waiter walks by with a tray of drinks. Parker’s spider sense kicks in, and he knocks the tray over before Osborn can take what could have been a poisoned drink.

Peter slinks off, and puts on his spider suit. He follows the waiter backstage and eventually runs into some Russian mobsters. That’s Spider-Man’s cue to show off some of his new moves. The crew includes a bruiser, who has to be immobilized with a charge attack before he can be damaged. That’s easier said than done, considering he’s got a few buddies along with him. Spidey can do a variety of web and physical-based moves, including one where he positions himself between two opponents, webs them both in the face, leaps in the air and pulls the line taut – causing them to bonk their heads together.

Once they’re defeated, I see a stealth-based sequence. Beenox has designed these to be less linear than in past games, so players can choose their own paths as they remove each guard from play, one web cocoon at a time. The goons are guarding an experimental suit, which just so happens to be sized perfectly for Spider-Man. Just when he thinks he’s going to get away clean, he’s caught by a new speedy enemy archetype. As her name suggests, she’s quite quick, and her blades are sharp. Players who may have gotten through earlier battles by button mashing will have to learn how to effectively dodge roll and use web pulls to succeed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_amazing_spider-man_2/b/xbox360/archive/2014/03/19/what-kind-of-a-spider-man-are-you.aspx

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like Activision may have the rights to use Spider-Man in a way after all.

According to Beenox on Twitter, the reason why ASM 2 wasn't immediately canned (and the reason why ASM 1 is still available to purchase digitally) is because Activision only lost the license for the comic version of Spider-Man. Beenox actually made the Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 games using Sony's cinematic license for Spider-Man and not the comic book license.

That being said, we may still see an ASM 3 game if Sony doesn't decide to do something else by that time in terms of gaming. This does not affect the costumes Beenox can use, only the characters used.

quote:

GameUnboxingReviews ‏@GameUnboxing Jan 16
Dear @BeenoxTeam please if possible can we have a Spider-Ham and Peter Porker skin in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game?

Thank you.

Beenox ‏@BeenoxTeam Jan 16
@GameUnboxing Since the game is using the movie license, probably not.

GameUnboxingReviews ‏@GameUnboxing Jan 16
@BeenoxTeam Can we go into an alley and change from Peter Parker to Spider-Man or a certain costume & vice versa at any time?

Beenox ‏@BeenoxTeam Jan 17
@GameUnboxing No, you can't do that at any time. Changes will be mostly story based.

GameUnboxingReviews ‏@GameUnboxing Jan 17
@BeenoxTeam Oh I see, well will we be able to free roam with Peter?

@GameUnboxing Probably not. That would give up his secret identity pretty much.

@BeenoxTeam Oh that's a real shame so no Peter free roam whatsoever? not even after completion of the main story or without powers?

@GameUnboxing We did offer a Peter Parker suit in Edge of Time, but the game was set in the comic universe, which is a different license.

@BeenoxTeam Thank you for replying, Sounds like this time you are very limited in what you can put in the game, no comic costumes either?

@GameUnboxing Absolutely not. There were unlockable costumes in the previous game, also using the movie licence, right?

@BeenoxTeam Thank goodness! i'll still buy the game 100% but im a little sad there's no Peter free roam, Could we see Sam Rami wrestler suit

@GameUnboxing Since the game is using the new movie licence, the Vigilante Suit we have showcased in ASM1 will probably make a return.

@BeenoxTeam That is excellent news! no Sam Rami wrestler suit is fine as I didn't think it would be in there anyway, what about TASM1 suitt

Also, there is no way to play as Peter outside of the story, so there's that as well if you were worried about that.

https://twitter.com/BeenoxTeam/status/424257837246599168

Looks like no more comic book licensed games from Activision but there could very well be more movie licensed ones unless Sony changes their mind.

EDIT: Looks like the 13 in-game costume thing is true. I asked Beenox on Facebook if the were 2 preorder costumes we didn't know of and was given a reply of yes.

So it seems Amazon has something still.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

ASM and all it's DLC are on sale on XBL, is it worth getting. And if so which of the DLC is worth it? Stan Lee obviously but how is the rest?

The Stan Lee DLC is a must but the rest isn't really worth it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Forgot that the Rhino dlc has a no timer mode. That one is decent

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBCQXWyhuQ

Looks like Carnage is in, Black Cat is back from ASM 1, we also get Electro, Green Goblin, Kingpin, and Kraven (not as a villain, apparently?).

Also, another article:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/4/5571546/the-amazing-spider-man-2-preview-connect-as-a-character

Polygon.com posted:

"There was this sense of, if we were to develop a story that was more personally connected to the character itself, we felt that there should be moments where you're playing as kind of a regular teenager," Wilson explained. "In [The Amazing Spider-Man], we unfortunately had a lot of villains that were just kind of thrown out there with little backstory. In this case, you really get to meet the characters before you can eventually face them."

quote:

One disappointing element of our time with the PlayStation 3 version of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was its graphics. Manhattan lacked detail, and as a result it didn't feel very alive, and cutscenes didn't really look better than the rest of the game. According to Wilson, Beenox strove to deliver the same gameplay experience on all platforms, and he added that the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions will offer 1080p resolution, a better draw distance and a smoother frame rate. (The screenshots in this article are from the PS4 version.)

EDIT:

The armor from the "Ends of the Earth" storyline is in the game as well.

http://www.newsarama.com/20762-the-amazing-spider-man-2-game-developer-wants-to-simply-improve-every-aspect.html

Beenox on Facebook posted:

For those who have been asking, Sam Riegel is returing to voice Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game.

https://www.facebook.com/beenox/posts/10152345459798210?comment_id=33547144&offset=0&total_comments=15

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The visuals in the game based on that trailer are pretty sad looking. A lot of low-res textures.

That's the PS4/One version. :v:

Greg Miller has been saying that all versions of the game just look bad in terms of graphics since Beenox introduced him to the game privately, but still all play the same. He said the 360/PS3 version looked pretty low-res but the PS4/One version is just as bad.

The funny part is, Beenox and the official ASM Game Facebook pages both linked to the video he was saying how bad the graphics were. :v: I don't think they actually watched it before linking everyone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Eh, Beenox officials have been straight up saying, "Yeah, the current gen versions are identical to last" so I don't think they really give a poo poo.

According to Greg and the guys at GamesRadar, they're identical except for graphics because Beenox told both of them that, all videos and screenshots BEFORE the PS4 version was released were of the 360/PS3 as they actually built the game to run on 360/PS3 and PS4/One was the afterthought.

Also, I love it when people complain that the graphics on PS4 aren't like INFAMOUS: Second Son. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That's definitely a thing that people have said.

I'm not really sure what they're expecting. I mean, sure it could look more lively, less muddy, etc...but..really? The game has most likely been in development since after ASM 1 was put in stores (as they did that with Shattered Dimensions to Edge of Time) so..yeah.

The complaints of people amaze me sometimes...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I think if you get to the point where you're amazed that people are saying a game looks kind of bad visually and also recognizing that a game looks kind of bad visually then I don't know what to tell you, either, dude.

It looks kind of bad, people are going to say, 'hey, that looks kind of bad' when they see something that looks kind of bad.

It's not just that it looks bad, I get that and agree, it's that they're expecting WAY too much from a cross-platform movie game published by Activision. That's what surprises me so much about it.

It happens every time Activision puts out a cross-platform game when there are new consoles out. Why be surprised it looks the way it does when it's nothing more than history repeating itself?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Expecting too much out of movie games maybe isn't the most sane thing to do, but it's better than accepting crap on the grounds of "oh well it's a movie game" :downs:

They deserve to get poo poo if they put out a subpar product.

It's an Activision title, of course it'll be subpar. People expect too much out of every game Activision puts out with Spider-Man on the title.

Yes, I'll play this game and probably like it, but I'm not going to say it'll be the best Spider-Man game ever or even best Beenox title ever.

Ever since Beenox and Sony showed the PS4 versions on PlayStation.com, people have not only been calling them on how bad it looks, but also saying it should look exactly like games such as Second Son when there's no way it was ever going to because of the short development time Activision always gives.

I get wanting the game to look good on high-end consoles, but expecting them to put more than subpar support in a cash cow Spider-Man game? No...that's not really going to happen. Just like there won't be any worthwhile DLC if there is any (the suits will most likely be the only thing).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really wish that Marvel would get their game licenses in such a way that they could have one company produce just a really beautiful Rockstar level Manhattan that could be used in multiple Marvel games so they get their money's worth.

Disney/Marvel could have someone else make a new Spider-Man game at any time.

Beenox is using Sony's Spider-Man movie license to make the movie games and not the comic book game one as Marvel has that one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm starting to like the continuity that ASM 2's game has with ASM 1's game. Sam Riegel being back really helps with that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like there will be a total of 19 suits for Amazing Spider-Man 2. 13 of them will be in-game, 4 from GameStop as Preorder DLC, and 2 that are unknown.

Beenox on PlayStation.net posted:

+ iREVOLTER on March 27th, 2014 at 10:37 am said:
I hope there will be a lot of costumes (I want the Noir one) already on the disc and not as paid dlc, please. 1st was ok, this one looks improved. I hope the story will be as well.

+ Thomas Wilson on March 28th, 2014 at 7:31 am said:
There will be 13 costumes that can be unlocked through the course of the game. 6 costumes will be available as gift with purchase and/or downloadable content.

+ GamerBoyDXD8612 on March 29th, 2014 at 5:27 pm said:
Sorry i meant during Free Roam and is That true and i also heard that there will be 30 costumes too and sorry one more thing change peter parkers face a little make more like Andrew Garfeild and don’t worry you still have time before and i really hope you release more information since the game is coming out this month coming up i hope you release more information on the 10th through April 23rd or April 5th through April 20th

+ Thomas Wilson on April 3rd, 2014 at 6:02 pm said:
You will be able to explore locations as Peter Parker, when that will make sense storywise. For example, you can’t enter Aunt May house as Spider-Man. You can’t free roam as Peter Parker at anytime. And we already said that there will be 19 suits in total. More information will be released this month for sure…even tomorrow!

EDIT: Oh, the 3DS version finally has some screenshots if anyone's thinking of buying that. It confirms Carnage is in the console version since he was teased as Cletus Kasady with symbiote in the recent villains trailer.

http://www.gamergen.com/actualites/the-amazing-spider-man-2-le-jeu-video-premieres-images-version-3ds-202672-1

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 10, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLN3olo7xzA

New trailer for the ASM 2 game for Android/iOS/Windows Phone. It'll be out April 17th (next Thursday) as a "premium game".

If you don't like spoilers, I'd probably avoid Gameloft's game then. While ASM 2 on consoles won't spoil anything (Beenox has specifically stated the game will follow ASM 1's game, NOT ASM 2 (but it will run parallel to the movie sometimes, referencing things...however they plan on doing that...), Gameloft usually takes the route of direct port of the movie's plot.

EDIT: Oh, expect IAP. Lots of IAP. For almost every item that matters in the game.

The timeline that Beenox has given for ASM 2 is:

Amazing Spider-Man the Movie
Amazing Spider-Man the Video Game
Amazing Spider-Man 2 the Video Game
Amazing Spider-man 2 the Movie

They probably won't have Rhino in the game since he was already in ASM 1's game as their own villain. I guess Beenox likes What If? tales because they've also said to think of the games as a What If? thing to the Spider-Man movies.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 12, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok, tons of suit information today for ASM 2.

If you preorder the game from the PlayStation Store for PS3 OR PS4, you will receive the Electro-Proof Suit.

However, this is ONLY on the PSN store, you will not receive the suit if you preorder from GameStop.

When asked on Facebook, Beenox did state that this suit is not in game, it's not an early unlock, and it may not ever come to Xbox or be available in any other way as the decision to give this suit looks like it came exclusively from Sony themselves.

If you preorder via PlayStation Network, you will not receive the Threads Pack (Symbiote Spider-Man (from the comics), Iron Spider, Spider Armor, and Captain Universe Spider-Man).

However, it's been confirmed that the PC version WILL get the Threads Pack if you preorder on Steam.

Other Tidbits (Beenox has been answering questions on Facebook):

• The Symbiote suit will not have black webbing.
  • When asked about the current petition someone put up to have Beenox patch the game so it would be possible to play as Peter Parker in free-roam:

... the game is gold, so it won't happen. The only petition we have seen had 153 signatures as of today, not thousands. At some point in development, we played with this idea, but it didn't make the final cut for various reasons.
  • When asked if the Electro-Proof suit was in-game and if it was the last suit for the game:

... it's an exclusive pre-order suit, only available for PS3/PS4. Since Electro is such an important vilain of this SONY Pictures movie, it probably made sense to offer the Electro-proof suit only on SONY platforms, from a marketing standpoint.
  • When asked about the suits:

There are 13 in game suits Christopher Drummer (with one that will probably be kept as a surprise since it's unlocked when you complete the game!), and 6 gift with purchase or downloadble suits, with one you haven't heard about yet...and has never appeared in a Spider-Man game!
  • There will not be anymore gameplay videos. The last video to come out will be the launch trailer which will be, according to Beenox, "only a few days before launch.
  • When asked why the game on other platform is cheaper than on the PS4:

... we're a developer, not a publisher, so it's hard for us to explain pricing decisions. However, you probably don't know that in order to release a game on any videogame console, the publisher must pay a royalty to the manufacture, whether Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, for distributing a game on their system. It could possibly explain the pricing difference between the console version and the Steam version.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152370687893210&set=np.292874189.503368097

https://www.facebook.com/beenox/posts/10152370643443210

[url]http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/15/playstation-store-update-339/[/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The statement from Activision:

quote:

We want to inform you that we are revising our release plans for ASM2 on Xbox One. When and whether ASM2 is released on Xbox One is TBD.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-release-for-amazing-spider-man-2-tbd/0131293

It looks like, for whatever reason, the Xbox One version of ASM 2 is effectively cancelled.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Wonder if they just failed the certification process for some reason and didn't feel like spending the time/money to fix it. Activision is loving weird.

Some people are claiming that it's due to technical difficulties with the One vs PS4 in terms of graphics I guess?

Thing is, the game is gold now, as confirmed both by Beenox and by the fact there's only a few weeks left before release.

I guess Activision finally played the game and noticed major issues that they couldn't (or wouldn't) fix and so canceled it on Xbox One.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 17, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The next gen version doesn't look any better though. It can't be a graphics thing.

The Xbone SDK is probably still a huge mess or something.

Probably. I just heard that other games have graphical issues over the Sony version but I haven't heard of the SDK stuff. What's going on with that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's crap. The console was rushed to market about 6 months too early.

Lots of games that are not exactly graphical powerhouses like Call of Duty Ghosts and Trials Fusion are at lower resolutions or framerates than the PS4 because the tools are so bad.

Sounds like Microsoft's eagerness to "beat" Sony is biting them in the rear end. From the looks of things, this may not be the only game the One loses.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The game has been rushed, made for last gen consoles and hastily ported to the current gen ones. So it wouldn't surprise me if it's a buggy mess on all systems and part of it was they didn't take the time to program it right for the Xbox. There is likely some blame, but all other games released for both consoles haven't had anything like this.

Except it wouldn't make sense for the game to be a "buggy mess" on the last gen consoles because it was made for last gen consoles and ported up to current gen. There's no evidence of it being "hastily" ported either. They made it for 360/PS3 but ported it up to One/PS4. The reason it looks lovely is the same reason all of Activision's multiplatform games look lovely: They ported up, not down. They simply bumped the graphics up...which is seemingly the reason why the One can't handle the game.

Also, if your scenario was true, then the PS4 version would be cancelled right along with Xbox One. This is more on the fault of Microsoft rushing their own console rather than Activision rushing their own game. Beenox worked on ASM 2 after ASM 1 hit shelves, they've done this for all of their games. Sure, the development time is really short but that doesn't mean it was rushed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't know that. Sure, the problem is exclusive to one console, but it could just as easily be an indicator that all versions of the game are rushed and hosed, just that that version is more hosed. Either way, the fact that Activision doesn't even care enough to get the game to a releaseable state doesn't spell well for their level of support for the process of developing of this game, so Beenox could very well have known that it was never going to come out,

It doesn't make sense that all versions are broken if they're building off of ASM 1 and not working from the ground up. ASM 1 wasn't buggy, except for the PC which is usually always a buggy port.

Considering how bad most people have talked about both versions looking muddy and the last-gen version having low draw distance, they'd really have pointed out of it was a buggy, lovely mess.

It may not be completely Xbox One's fault, but if the SDK is as bad as claimed, then I'd say the chances are more likely that it's mostly the problem with the Xbox One and not the rest of the consoles.

We'll just have to see how it turns out in two weeks for the rest of the consoles.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Forget ASM 1 for a second. They have the engine, the base combat and a lot of the assets already, this is true, but if they didn't get the proper support from their publisher in terms of QA or optimization, the game could very well be broken. It's still a new game, development is more complicated than "oh, it's a sequel to a game that wasn't buggy, so it'll be fine" - Fallout 2 was suuuuuuper broken compared to the first game, and that was like 80% the same tech.

It's still only speculation, but a publisher just dropping a port like that so close to release doesn't usually happen unless something is very wrong, and although the other versions of the game are on track, I definitely think this is cause for concern.

Hmm...you may be right. Also, since the game is hindering on Sony this time with their license, if the game is exceptionally bad, then Sony could just decide to not let Beenox use the licensing.

It looks like it's been indefinitely shelved too...which is also worrying.

EDIT: Also, I just realized that the ONLY screens we've seen are 360, PS4, and 3DS. Beenox has never mentioned One screens or ever talked about it in any way.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 17, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What I'm saying is that the Xbox SDK probably did have something to do with this, but a lot of other signs point to this game being a trainwreck.

The biggest thing is that Beenox most likely knew if they said nothing on the One version at all. People asked them questions about it but they skipped them.

To me, that's more worrying.

EDIT:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/17/the-amazing-spider-man-2-cancelled-on-xbox-one-4702057/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/04/17/report-amazing-spider-man-2-may-not-release-on-xbox-one.aspx

Activision is now saying they're working with Microsoft to get the game to launch on the One eventually.

quote:

An Activision representative has responded to our request for comment on the status of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Xbox One. "We are working with Microsoft in an effort to release The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game on Xbox One," we were told via email. "Currently, the game will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and the PC on April 29, 2014 as previously announced.”

Nothing about why this happened. So, it probably is the SDK but I'm not ok with Activision and Beenox right now considering this is still something they should've known by now and said something about a LONG time ago.

Also nothing from Beenox or Activision on their FB pages.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 17, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, the game sucks on PS4 too.

http://myxboxlive.com/gaming/video-game-reviews/amazing-spiderman-2-review/

Found a reviewer who played the PS4 version.

He says it's pretty bad, maybe the worst Spider-Man game he's played. The graphics just aren't even "okay", the fights are jumbled, enemies react to hits that you didn't even aim at them, and the Hero vs Menace system can make the game impossible to play.

quote:

GRAPHICS
I mentioned the Arkham series as a comparison in regards to how the sound flows in the Amazing Spiderman 2. The graphics? Yeah, not so much. Remember how any of the Batman Arkham titles have buildings with window ledges, statues, tight ropes and other things with texture that really made you say “Wow, they did their homework on this game?” That is no where to be found in this version of Spidey. The buildings show absolutely no texture. They reminded me of when I was a kid and used to unfold a card board box in order to build a house then “drew” a door and windows on with a Sharpie marker. In fact, the Sharpie may have been more textured. I purposely web swung around for about an hour after seeing how bad they looked just to see if I could find a somewhat respectable looking building. I could not. Every one had window ledges that looked part of the building. They were flat, had no depth and quite frankly incredibly disappointing. If you didn’t tell me I was playing a PS4 version of the game, I would have guessed it was something straight off of the PS2 or original Xbox. I am not exaggerating. Being that you are in a city, there are few trees. When you get near the water or edge of the city in certain missions you find more of them. The tree trunks themselves have a little detail, yet the leaves and branches are depicted as one big piece. On a next generation game, you would expect to see the individual leaves blowing in the wind or the branches waving independently of each other, but that is not the case. I understand in games that many times certain little things are sacrificed in order to make more visible aspects that much better. Take the fish in Battlefield 4 for instance. DICE indicated that there were “dumb fish” that don’t react to human presence and swim away because the physics were needed for the building demolition. Who cares? No one cares about fish in Battlefield in that aspect. The Amazing Spiderman 2 takes this approach but instead of fish, Activision minimizes the graphics and gameplay in order to make more prominent the, well, I haven’t quite figured out what is prominently good in this game.

Maybe I’m spoiled with graphics after such incredible releases this past year. I don’t know. I don’t think we need amazing graphics in every game, but I do think there is a standard that needs to be set, ESPECIALLY when you are working with a next generation game. Spiderman himself is portrayed well. His features and muscular development are in good proportion while his movements look realistic and not robotic. The enemies are a different story. The npc’s located in the city along with the enemies you encounter in various pop up side missions appear very boxy. Their faces are round but lack detail. Their bodies are accurately proportioned but lack shading and depth. When you see an artist’s depiction of a hand, you expect to see the lineations for the knuckles, joints, nails etc. What we got from Activision, however, is just a flat depiction of a hand. No details. It was actually disappointing and the obvious lack of effort in the graphics and detail was frustrating.

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay was by far the worst part of The Amazing Spiderman 2. There was one good addition that Spidey purists will enjoy. In contrast to the last game where you can web anywhere up in the sky, we will need to attach our webs to a structure in order to swing in this version. Our left and right handed webs are now mapped to our left and right triggers in the game. It takes a few minutes to get used to after previous versions, but it does add to the realism which I can appreciate. Sadly, this is where it ends. Combat, by far, took the biggest hit in this installment. There is a marker that pops up indicating a landed strike on an enemy during combat. The irony, however, is that this pops up when you don’t actually land the strike. Enemies were reacting to hits I was not hitting them with. Their heads were snapping back, they were falling down and hitting the wall when I never touched them. It happened so often it was almost comical as nearly one in four strikes didn’t land. One side mission I performed was rescuing a young man from being robbed by five baddies in an alley. As you know, you can control the camera’s angle while in combat, which I do to gain an advantage. At one point, I had it set up so Spidey was on the left fighting the baddie on the right. I pulled off Spidey’s signature backward flip kick ala Guile from Street Fighter. Although I was far enough way where my legs completely missed the baddie, he still went flying backward into the wall. At this point, I was standing next to my buddy who let me play the copy and we both simultaneously just said “COME ON! SERIOUSLY!”

He said the sound is ok and the swinging is ok but that's about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, wow, that just sounds like it's completely hosed. That can't be intentional. Maybe there'll be a day one patch, though if it's already in the hands of reviewers that's an especially bad sign.

Yeah, they're definitely going to need a day-one patch if it's that bad. Beenox has been saying the game's gold for a while now and saying they're just making discs. Hopefully they'll patch the game though.

Hero vs Menace has always sounded like a hokey gimmick anyway. Never knew why it even needed to be there...or even be named in the first place. It stops you from enjoying free-roaming if you MUST go and deal with something immediately.

EDIT: Another theory...Beenox has stated many times the PS3 and 360 has been the target all along for the game. There's speculation that even the developer video on Playstation.com wasn't actually from the PS4.

What if Beenox put all of their effort into the last-gen versions and gave the current-gen to another part of their team (a sort of "B team"). This wouldn't excuse any errors in any version...but it would explain why the PS4 version is apparently crap and the One version is so bad they can't even release it.

EDIT: This isn't surprising, but when I asked Activision (who runs The Amazing Spider-Man Game on Facebook) about the review, they deleted my comment immediately.

EDIT 2: Activision has come forward on their Facebook...with the same statement they've told the media:

The Amazing Spider-Man Game posted:

We are working with Microsoft in an effort to release The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game on Xbox One. Currently, the game will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and the PC on April 29, 2014 as previously announced. When we have more information on the Xbox One release, we will let you know.

Also they blocked me from commenting on their account because I brought up the bad review. :v: Not surprised but yeah.

Still no word from Beenox on anything but, knowing them, they'll be around to repost what Activision said soon.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAmazingSpiderManGame/posts/477087759057590

EDIT 3: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/457181395555594240

There's an ASM 2 bundle for PS3:

500GB PS3
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game
The Amazing Spider-MAn 1 on VUDU
$270 from Walmart

I've got a 80GB PS3, ASM 2 on preorder, and doing the Super Ticket for ASM 2 to get a copy of both ASM 1 and ASM 2 on VUDU.

I don't need this but eh, sounds like a good deal if you REALLY like Spider-Man.

Also, I put a link to that review up on Reddit. I don't think it's fair (but I'm not surprised they'd do it) that Activision removed my post simply asking about the review and if they were going to do patches. This game is $60 at its highest, $40 at its cheapest. Even if the reviewer is wrong, people have the right to know.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

iastudent posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Is it basically the red/black suit system from Web of Shadows or something else?

Hero vs. Menace is the gimmick that Beenox came up with for ASM 2. Basically, you have the random crimes and you can chose to do them or ignore them for story or just swinging around. If you ignore them (or choose to do them but fail at it), you lose the trust of the public and J. Jonah Jameson will berate you on his radio show. If you let it get too bad, the SWAT teams will be sent out to shoot your weblines down when you're swinging low enough.

Problem looks like the game is ruthless when you fail or just decide to ignore it. It looks like it makes it harder to do the tasks if the police force is against you.

Also I found a video that's supposedly the PS3/360 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3bxz3XEZn8

This video is the same video as the GDC interview gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZhLA9UT_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437-_Hy2YOY

Beenox told IGN's Greg Miller (and a few other websites) that the PS4/One version hadn't been shown to anyone up until the blog article on PlayStation.com debuting it. All gameplay videos, trailers, screenshots, and gameplay previews before March 27, 2014 are of the PS3/360 version.

However, despite the new video being uploaded on April 9, 2014, it's the exact same footage as the GDC interview. Thus, it's safe to assume that that's what the 360/PS3 version will look like.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on the awful graphics in that recent trailer (particularly of the city) this is not very surprising. I mean it's still a movie tie in game, and those have a really bad track record for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JJzq5BCqo

This is the PS4 version, which Greg Miller and the guy from the MyXboxLive.com interview have both stated is no better. :v:

Not surprised, they did port up after all. I think it's less that "it's a movie tie-in game" and more "Beenox ported up and forced the resolution and framerate to be higher than it should so it hosed the game up".

Fake Edit: Oh hey, Activision got that MyXboxLive review taken down.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

It seems like you chose a really predictably bad game to throw your full posting weight behind, ThermoPhysical.

Not really predictably considering Beenox has done decently in the past. But eh, if it's bad I'll just return it or cancel the preorder and no harm will have been done. :v: Wouldn't be the first time I didn't get a Spider-Man game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hey thanks to him I've canceled my pre order. I'm a big Spidey fan and liked ASM1. But this looks terrible and it convinced me to not let my love of Spidey blind me.

I'm sorry that I killed your hopes? :v: I mean, I'd personally wait until actual reviews and not some forum posts from some guy who's planning on picking up the game anyway for the swinging. :P

Anyway, when you preorder at GameStop, you also have the chance to get 2 free tickets to the ASM 2 movie.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/buy-the-amazing-spider-man-2-at-gamestop-and-you-could-get-tickets-to-the-movie/1100-6419179/

It's first come, first served basis so you may want to come early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/user/DesirableChris

ASM 2 has leaked for 360. Looks like its not too bad.

• Locked thread