Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
im watching jezza soo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

'appy dayze!

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

The Flipperbaby posted:

I'm really struggling to question your relevant experiences which might validate that claim; it seems so deeply popular a sentiment with people who have never spent more than a moment's thought regarding the US. However, I will choose to take neither the high or low road out, but the middle one when I ask:

Do you arrive at such cheap and easy generalizations because you are willfully ignorant or simply because you cannot understand basic ideas if they're not simplified or distilled to a single word which is under five letters?

Why would anyone from the uk want to go to the us?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I am the lonely brummy in the middle of this little fist fight between the North and the South going "cor we jus be frienz?"

villa or blues?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

People who have this weird distaste for Birmingham tend to have never lived there. Its odd hearing how terrible brum is from Londoners who complain endlessly about how terrible London is and its nice not having to live in a shoebox.

Wurzag posted:

My old man said be a city fan...

Gross.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Cakes posted:

Brummies are the best people in the UK, but Birmingham is an absolute shithole. Hopefully all the Londoners get swept out to sea by climate change related flooding and it's rightful owners can take over once the place dries out.

*complains about city being a shithole, desires to live somewhere even worse*

the most British thing.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Prenton posted:

It's time for an important scientific survey

a) Where did you grow up
b) Do you know who Purple Aki is
c) How surprised where you to find out he is actually real

quote:

Arobieke was released on licence from prison on 26 October 2006. Unusually, Merseyside police applied to Liverpool Magistrates' Court for an interim Sexual Offences Prevention Order against him, although he was never convicted of a sex offence. Under the terms of the order, Arobieke was banned from touching, feeling, or measuring muscles; asking people to do squat exercises in public; entering the towns of St Helens, Warrington, or Widnes, without police permission; and loitering near schools, gyms, or sports clubs.[6] The ban was later overturned as "draconian" [12] but remained in force after a successful appeal by police.[13]

On 25 May 2007 Arobieke approached a man in a shopping centre in Preston and commented upon the size of his biceps before "touching them without permission". He was arrested shortly afterwards, on suspicion of breaching his Sexual Offences Prevention Order, and remanded in custody.[13]

He was later convicted of breaching this order[14] and jailed for a further 15 months,[15] with the muscle touching ban being made permanent.

Lol what a mentalist.

Lol touching muscles is against the law.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Tortuga posted:

I love how everyone from Birmingham seems to have left Birmingham yet when you encounter them in Weston-Super-Mare or wherever they still just complain about loving Birmingham all the time.

They probably regret moving and are trying to convince themselves they made the right decision.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Tortuga posted:

It's poo poo, but it's like Saint Tropez to the Birminghams.

in what way?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Camrath posted:

It's not Birmingham.

Anywhere seems amazing in comparison.

Clearly you haven't been to London or any big city up north lol

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Honestly, you're well behind on the hey day for that kind of thing. If you like hanging out with k'd up teenagers and being robbed in a warehouse that had its address plastered all over Facebook, then there's a hilariously weak attempt at a party once a year. There are tons of good things in licensed venues that look and feel just like your traditional piss-soaked basement squat round here though so it's not like you're missing out much - just pop along to Antwerp Mansion if you want venues with half the stairs missing. Some of them are even 'semi-legal' which gives it a more authentic feel whilst you're paying five quid for a balloon.

Apart from warehouse project stuff what are the decent nights in Manchester these days?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Bow-street Bastard posted:

Purple Aki is that you?

[in the ian watkins voice] powerful black man demonised as being predatory for giving youngsters fitness advice? :rolleyes: this loving country ugh , Camerons britain.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

has anyone ever watched the pub channel on sky?

what is it like?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Rather Dashing posted:

Too many negative representations of this sceptred isle in this thread. Let's discuss someone cool.

no northerners are cool hth

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Babby Sathanas posted:

yogscast live in bristol so only go there if you want to live with a bunch of ex-goon minecraft spergers

literally the only thing i know about bristol

The only thing you know about a major British city is a video game thing?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Creepy Goat posted:

And that's probably the best thing about Bristol

The university is pretty good, the music scene is meant to be pretty good, its not london, its got some decent clubs, the booze is meant to be good etc etc.

whats so bad about it?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

I went for a uni open day and its really really hilly. Compared with reading where I eventually went which has like, 1 hill which is barely steep

Ugh hills, really!?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Vitamins posted:

i've heard the word LAD (in caps) used unironically 5 times already tonight. eeeeuuuurrgh

Nothing wrong with lads :confused:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

I just don't get how you win over middle class tories all anxious about :ohdear: my kids' school :ohdear: by having a guy visibly gently caress up everything about education.

Literally doesn't matter to them as long as they know people on benefits are having a harder time, its also immigrants fault, somehow.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Sex Robot posted:

Stewart Lee is seriously underrated in the stand up comedy circuit

He's seems to be overrated on the internet however.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

simosimo posted:

I always say, as much as we moan at least we won't get hosed over by devastating weather, and when we go for hikes in the woods [e.g lake district] we won't get killed by a bear. UK is like, easy mode if it were in a game.

It's also raining heavily in bolivia and a mudslide killed around 4 - 10 people so yeah, la paz has been declared a disaster zone.

the uk avoids so many types of disasters its absurd.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Dilettante. posted:

Speaking of bomb scares, we had our first homegrown suicide bomber in Syria a few days ago. He even apologized for not being able to speak Arabic in his farewell message. :britain:

"...anyway soz for not speaking arabic, in a bit, laterz"

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

mate dunno why you're so worked up about a bunch of people bitching about tories and talking about the best flavour of monster munch

he's probably worked up because it tends to be terrible someone will make a wacky crisp/biscuit post and inevitably someone says "realtalk guys" and posts a ton of boring words about politics and the hand wringing continues till its just ukmt 2

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

p sure he was talking about ukmt 1 mate

to be honest what i said applies to that as well, 'cept the politics is expected there

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Let's just chat about who's the fittest on take me out

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Amber and chloe were my picks, although i dont think series 6 was the best.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Penguingo posted:

lol they don't have computers in croydon

They have one, but all it makes is dubstep.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Comfy Chairs posted:

Sure is a shame the BBC aren't running any kind of competition in the run-up to Eurovision where 4 industry veterans and the unwashed public vote for people who have the best Voice to sing a song for the illegal immigrant benefit-stealing scum.

The song the BBC overseers did pick, I kinda like. It's poo poo by any standard, but it ticks a lot of Eurovision boxes. This year they seem to have drunk the Kool-Aid and gone all out to produce a Eurovision-quality dong instead of just re-animating corpses frozen since the 80s.

Bonnie Tyler had no place in Eurovision last year. She already had a career path laid out appearing on anti-smoking pictures on cigarette packets.

I'l always remember gemini's entry and the bbc had a whole show dedicated to picking a song to go through and it was that one and it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqItP--pGY

That video has everything that was wrong with early-2000s music in it, along with it being a terrible song. No surprise it earned nul points and there was even some talk of the uk's involvement with the invasion of iraq going against it as well.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Penguingo posted:

LEVENSHULME GOONMEET

[in the kersal voice] levenshulme aint got poo poo on us

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Betjeman posted:

Channeling Danny Dyer

Please don't compare our lord and savior Danny dyer to whatever that bellend is.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

My team got beat :(

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Babby Sathanas posted:

Any loving nerds heading off down to Birmingham (the worst city in the world) for Rezzed this weekend? I'm doing it tomorrow

What is that a gig or something?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

assume the worst

oh its video games, never mind.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Pedricko posted:

I just got ID'd in the Nottingham wetherspoons. I'm 24 and heavily bearded.

A subtle neg

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Pedricko posted:

Every other pub I passed in Nottingham seemed to be either some kind of tosser wine bar or chav central.

If you cant enjoy yourself drinking with the local jeremy kyle bait maybe pubs just arent your thing? idk.

Unless you are looking for that mythical goon pubs where everyone is quiet as a mouse and has video games and esports on the tv or some poo poo.

Dr Scoofles posted:

What turns me off Wetherspoons is stag and hen parties gravitate to them, so when you're not being jostled by a bunch of screaming women in pink cowboy hats you're being jostled by a bunch of loud arsed wankers with upturned collars.

Yes god forbid having fun, im wondering the type of person you are where being jostled is a constant issue for you in pubs.

At the end of the day pubs are pubs and the problem is probably with you.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Pedricko posted:

Some pubs demand I take my fedora off

Over the years on SA pubchat comes up and it inevitably boils down to a lot of pubs are crap and average and some are good but ultimately if you don't like drunk people and people getting loud you never will and that the weirdly prevalent goon dream of having fiercely intimate chats about internet things and video games down a boozer where chavs, "bros", drunk women, football fans, rugby fans, teenagers, old people, gig goers, students, creeps, weirdos, posh people, kids, druggies, bankers, hen/stag parties and pricks simply dont exist is a fantasy.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Octavion posted:

This is a description of every pub in Glasgow, in our shittier pubs you get stabbed for wearing blue/green as you walk in the door. :scotland:

you'll miss this when it becomes a generic identical chain pub where the only fights that happen are because someone looked at another blokes missus wrong

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Whorelord posted:

Norwich man going to London. I guarantee I'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

and/or Camden for a metal festival. is there anywhere around there where you wont pay 4 quid a pint? Probably just end up drinking in my hotel room tbh

you might as well end it all now, blame it on the metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Fingerless Gloves posted:

2 beers, nowhere near tipsy but I want to give my opinion:

We're hosed. I tried to speak to somebody in work about politics today, she said she doesn't care as long as they run the country well, but if she had to choose she thinks Nigel speaks sense because yes, immigration is bad. When I tried to convince her to vote she just laughed it off. Another, when I asked, said that 'You should never discuss politics or religion'. Religion I could guess, but politics is built around discussion. I was speechless on both accounts because I am not a talkactive person.

I noticed on one of the Call Clegg transcripts that people will ask the worst questions of people in power. Latest was 'Do you think Manchester United was wrong to sack Moyes'. I'm not sure if it was a planted question or not, but if the only thing you have to ask of the people who control your life, have the potential and the ability to basically starve the vulnerable is THAT FOOTIE EH M8, then as a country, I guess we're pretty hosed.

Oh look you are "that" guy

• Locked thread