Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

RevKrule posted:

Good news bad news!
Good news: David Finch will only be drawing the new Wonder Woman. Rubble fans rejoice!
Bad news: His wife will be writing it.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/27/so-who-is-the-woman-writing-david-finchs-wonder-woman/

Please note, the only other writing credit she has is for Zenescope's Tales of Oz.

So DC just doesn't care about WW right?

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

At the very least it could bring things away from origin stories and retellings.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I would throw Manapul on it but I don't think a lot of people read Flash.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It was good.

There was a lot of reluctance over the series due to the nu52 changes and nobody likes Barry but man it was a really fun colourful cape comic which seems so weird to see in nu52 DC.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I've seen the pages for Multiversity and his Wonder Woman book but at this rate I'm not going to believe any of them exist until I'm holding it in my hands.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it looks a little bit further than Quitely's art was two years which is a start :v:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There are spoilers for FE6 floating on the net that if they're true, then the whole thing is really contrived and stupid :cripes:

If you're going to say that at least post them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well from looking other things up I guess the thing that people are supposed to go crazy over is the fact that Dick has a bomb strapped to him which is syched to his heartbeat. To stop it from going off Lex suffocates him "killing" him and stopping his heart, Batman goes crazy but Lex is all "I can fix it" and before they get to the Shazam stuff happens.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

E the Shaggy posted:

Oh my loving God, this is never going to end.

Also, could someone please explain what the hell is the appeal of the Joker's Daughter? Why does it keep selling??

Weird people want sexy Joker. It's why Harley Quinn still exists and her book sells ridiculously well.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Urdnot Fire posted:

Her book is actually pretty good, too, much better than #0 or Harley's (or Ivy's) other appearances in the New 52. A lot of her popularity is probably because of the Joker, but Conner and Palmiotti are doing pretty good at making her actually funny.

Yeah i've heard people say it's a fun book but the concept of Harley Quinn sells ridiculously well regardless of quality. Even the whole controversy with the suicide stuff didn't slow it's launch sales.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Since it was on sale (and I wasn't going to purchase terrible Justice League issues to read it) I finally read Johns/Frank's Shazam run and it's actually a lot better than I expected it to be.

Now there is some terrible (and racist) Johnsian Literalism and Gary Frank was not the right choice for the book but by the time it ends it leaves things with a build that I have no idea why DC haven't jumped on the perfect opportunity for a fun action book. The ending with Mr. Mind screams the perfect book for Manapul and Buccellato to jump on and do their thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

Really? I loved the expressions he put on Captain Shazam's big dumb face.

The faces were fun and appropriately goofy in places but I felt overall it made the tone too dark and I don't care for the cape design or the devil/combined sins that Shazam fights. When Billy became Shazam the book should have been a lot more colourful, bright and fun.

It also doesn't help that it gave me horrible flashbacks to Batman: Earth One.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Isn't Terry Dodson an artist known by being kind of 'cheesecakey'? Raven :stare: face is freaking me out.

Who's the pretty boy in blue and the white-clad girl?

I want to frame this post and hang it on my wall.

Lemire is a good writer and the Dodson's are a good art team so hey DC here is a Teen Titans book that I will give a shot. Though I won't pretend to act surprised when Terra is the bad dude.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 28, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is Earth One a shared universe?

I want to say yes that Batman: Earth One comments on Superman existing or visa versa but those books are also horrible and I've tried to forget as much as possible about them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

At least they are keeping up the ridiculousness of Doomsday going around killing wild animals?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

WickedHate posted:

Everyone having spider legs just makes it so drat goofy.

The whole thing feels like a parody issue. The terrible future where people are part spider robots.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

No there's 4, Batman and Green Arrow.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Professor Pyg is probably the most memorable Batman villain created in years, he manages to fit the modern style of serial killer villain but could also be toned down and camped up to perfectly fit with silver age Batman.

Plus Motel Hell is a cool film.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Taking this to the Batman thread.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dr. Hurt posted:

Just read the 4-issue 7 Soldiers Frankenstein mini. That's the best he'll ever be.

Yeah there have been alright books since then but this is pretty much going to be the highpoint of the character.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's spy fiction.

It's the same reason why the first thing James Bond does is tell people his name when undercover.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Trast posted:

Now I'm a bit curious about something. I've brought up that the Justice League cartoon did a lot to set who is known to people as "The Justice League" for likely anyone under thirty. But I never really thought to ask why John Stewart was picked instead of any of the other three lanterns at the time. Kyle shows up in a Superman episode previous to the Justice League series I believe so that would have been a natural move to make. Was John's inclusion strictly above adding diversity to the cast?

Whatever the reason was it had an impact. I had friends who asked me why the Green Lantern movie had a white guy playing the lead when that movie came out.

A lot of talented people such as the late Dwayne McDuffie worked on the show and understood the importance of diversify on the team, it's the reason a lot of other characters race were changed beyond "everybody is white".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Chaltab posted:

I don't recall anyone's race actually being changed for JLU, actually. They were just good about picking a roster with characters of color the DCU already had but had never put in other media.

I could've sworn both Hawkgirl and Luthor had their races changed in the show and some other supporting characters.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

McSpanky posted:

Luthor's look was based off of Telly Sevalas and therefore pretty strongly Grecian, which combined with his healthy tan caused some people to think he was supposed to be black back when Superman TAS first started.

Yeah this was what I was referring to. He wasn't black but they did shift things around so that everybody wasn't of the same ethnicity.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Good job DC. People ask you to put colorists on the cover so you just remove everyone from the solicits.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Endless Mike posted:

Ed Benes is a poo poo artist.

I only saw the Superman/Wonder Woman cover and thought "oh he's being restrained" and then i saw the rest :lol:

I'm surprised the skulls didn't have giant boobs attached to them.

quote:

GRAYSON: FUTURES END #1
Advance solicit • On sale SEPTEMBER 3
32 pg, FC • RATED T
3-D Motion Edition: $3.99 US
2-D Standard Edition: $2.99 US
Orders due May 29 • Not offered on FOC
Branded a traitor, Dick Grayson has become the most powerful hero in the newly resurgent and dominant Mother Russia – and now, he must battle the Beast from the East in one final struggle for supremacy!

This Grayson solicit seems very familiar. As if I've seen this before...

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 22, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

lotus circle posted:

Justice League United/Canada #0 is pretty good. I haven't read any of the other Justice League stuff in New 52 but it doesn't feel like you miss a lot from it and the team is almost set up as pseudo-underdogs, given they aren't high-profile heroes (J'onn and Ollie aside.) I haven't read any of Animal Man either, but his appearance here alone is making me tempted to check it out.

Yeah Justice League United was good. nu52 Animal Man is also by Lemire and really good for the first arc (probably the best horror book DC has done on purpose in a while) before getting dragged into a really long boring crossover event with Swamp Thing.

I'll stick with United until it eventual gets dragged into a crossover or gets a bad artist change but c listers being flippant and fighting aliens is enough to keep me around.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Trast posted:

Does DC even like Superman anymore? They seem to be doing tremendously dumb things with him these days.

There was an interview with Zack Snyder talking about the Superman vs Batman film recently where he says how people are too focused on the Christoper Reeves version of the character and he wants to bring things away from that.

That's basically what DC seem to be doing at the moment. Erasing that version of the character from existence.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madkal posted:

As someone who hated Superman Returns because of Singer's obsession with Reeves Superman I am actually okay with this.

Nah I'm fed up of people constantly being afraid to move past the Donner version of Superman but I think DC are doing a bit of a baby out with the bathwater situation. They want a modern updated Superman but are throwing out a lot of things like his relationship with Lois and being a general kinder, wiser, not punching everything Superman to do so.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Infinite Crisis was terribly rushed but it's not too bad in collected form, though I also do like the ridiculously cheesy audio play version of it they released. I don't remember anything in Infinite Crisis as bad as the colouring in Final Crisis which kept making everybody white.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So Future's End had a gay character being graphically killed, "a child" being shot in the face with a gun after witnessing her parents being graphically murdered and ends on another hero "being killed".

And this is only the first issue :getin:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Woah only 5 people died?

Actually all of Stormwatch "died" in an explosion but I'm sure a chunk will survive at the last minute. Apollo is the only one who has Dr. Manhattan level of skeleton revealing exploding.

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure the "Family" people keep bringing up were actually evil aliens. They were trying to make Grifter second guess shooting a little girl in the face so they could kill him or something.

They were pod people. Grifter explains that he hunts them down killing them in their homes but they never properly changed form. He murdered two "parents", slowly stalking them around the house like a horror film serial killer and ended with him shooting an evil child in the face muttering about how he'll kill them all even if everybody thinks he's crazy. I know they were "evil aliens" but the way the book shows it is really terrible.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 7, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

All the New 52 needs is new management.

Just take the Marvel Now approach and stop hiring idiots like Lobdell and get rid of your overbearing editors.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Speaking of Lemire I was kind of disappointed with issue #1 of Justice League United. I liked #0 but there just seemed to much going on and I rolled my eyes at Hawkman getting a hand/arm graphically ripped off.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Benito Cereno posted:

Cutting/ripping off limbs is a way to make a story look like it has serious/"mature" consequences without having to kill someone.

I dunno. It's starting to look like someone at DC just has an arm fetish.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

Honestly I am not a Grant Morrison fan please don't shove me in a locker but I read the words "Dino-Cop" in that solicit so gently caress it I'll give it a shot.

Honestly I've been less than impressed with Morrison's work post Final Crisis so I'm hoping this is more of a return to his Seven Soliders quality work than say Happy. Especially given the murders row of talent on board (even though I think it's wasting Quitely to put him on a faux Watchmen book).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of Crisis on Infinite Earths...

Well since we're apparently counting down to a Crisis it only makes sense for Ted Kord to come back...

...so he can end up being shot, but this time by Luthor.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sithsaber posted:

Is Starfire still a borderline amnesiac nymphomaniac?

I don't know what she's like in Batman: Eternal but outside of that yes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Johns/Romita Jr. first issue of Superman is a very good (if pretty generic) Superman book that spends a lot of time trying to undo the dumbness of nu52 while being a good Superman book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I haven't cared too much about nu52 Superman so I was fine with Johns being Johns and throwing out a lot of dumb stuff or attempts at being edgy. Granted i'd prefer the book even more if was Superman fighting more giant robot apes rather than a Superman mirror.

• Locked thread