Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

coyo7e posted:

:siren: New maps coming March 18!

They will be released over time as people accumulate kills, beginning on the 18th.

First map at 10 million kills, Lakeville, another urban map.

25 Million, El Halluf, desert map.

40 million, Prokhorovka (??) will be released.
You who live in a world without Lakeville know bliss, for you do not know the sinking feeling of seeing your whole team go through the bog of the western valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

coyo7e posted:

edit: T1 Heavy is a tank that I'm nearly as happy to see as an Alecto when I'm in my M4 series tank - they have laughable guns, poor armor, and I can generally kill them in two or three shots with a decent angle.

The T1 heavy is so easy to kill, even with mediums in the same tier. I'm glad I didn't pursue the American heavy line because that tank just seems to be really, really bad all around.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That line is actually really good on the PC version. The M6 gets a brilliant 90mm cannon and the t29 gets a bullshittium turret and an amazing 105 gun.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The tier five heavies seem too easy to kill generally. I'm still spending most of my time in a leopard (having drunkenly bought permanent camo - all three shades! - for it at the weekend) and seeing a T1 or a Churchill is just bliss compared to some of the T5 mediums and TDs. Just track the buggers, keep moving and take them down. Churchills seem really easy to ammo rack as well which adds to the survivability of a light tank that seems to be largely made of paper.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dogstile posted:

That line is actually really good on the PC version. The M6 gets a brilliant 90mm cannon and the t29 gets a bullshittium turret and an amazing 105 gun.

The later American heavies seem fine from what I can tell (though I still chew up M6's in my VK 36 with some ease), I just meant that I'm glad I didn't have to grind out the T1 Heavy at all. Even in my tier 5 PZ IV, those things posed virtually no threat, and when I run up against one in my VK 36 it isn't even a fight.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The four new British tanks are up, we got the Cruiser III, Cruiser IV, Covenanter and Crusader. Not being familiar with the PC version I was really surprised to see that they are a fourth line for the Brits and not a continuation of the other tanks. Not got any yet, but looking at the packages the Pom Pom gun is in this line too, hope it's more like the Cruiser 1 version than the Cruiser 2's

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cannot Find Server posted:

The T1 heavy is so easy to kill, even with mediums in the same tier. I'm glad I didn't pursue the American heavy line because that tank just seems to be really, really bad all around.
I've come across a couple T1 Heavies which kicked rear end and could move almost as fast as my Shermans, so I personally suspect that it's just a ton of pubbies rocking under-tiered weapons until they get enough exp to buy a good gun.

Anymore I make a point to get enough tank exp and silver to buy the first upgrade for any new tanks as soon as I buy them, since they almost always begin really slow and with a gun that's at least one tier below what they should be using, minimum.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

coyo7e posted:

I've come across a couple T1 Heavies which kicked rear end and could move almost as fast as my Shermans, so I personally suspect that it's just a ton of pubbies rocking under-tiered weapons until they get enough exp to buy a good gun.

This is literally it. The T1 heavy isn't amazing, but its definitely a threat when it has someone competent behind the wheel. Of course, you're on the xbox version, so I doubt you'll have that issue for a while.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So the Cruiser IV seems kinda awesome, got a 1st class mastery in my first match on Cliff, which is a map I'm not keen on while still stock.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I just picked this up for the 360 and have got a handful of tier 3 tanks. Is there anything I should know about the console version? Seems pretty fun so far but I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to spend a poo poo load on tanks that are flaming death traps with peashooters. Is there a decent resource that is newb friendly I should be looking for?

Also when I pilot my M2 medium I seem to get bumped up to tier 4 and 5 tank games and get my poo poo handed to me. Is there a reason this happens I can't seem to punch at that weight class and it's frustrating.

Oh and my gamer tag is TheRinaldo if any goons want to take pity on me

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 16, 2014

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Sup man, I just started this recently too and I know that feeling. Being the only light tank in a game containing panthers and poo poo is hard. I'm up to the M3 Lee, which like the M2 is a deathbox. My gamertag is Tabell if anyone wants to add me. (I'm EU)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
You can end up in matches with tanks +\- 2 tiers from your own tank, with certain exceptions for premium tanks with preferential matchmaking and scout matchmaking, so as a Tier 3 that's working as expected, you are just having bad luck not getting top tier games for your own machine. At that tier everything is kinda weak try to either hide in cover or flank higher tier enemies and whack em in the sides or rear.
My Gamertag is Wraith108. I'm also on the EU server, when it works.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is it just me or is the starting turret on the AT-8 just awful? I can barely make a penetration shot, even on lower tiered tanks.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
You mean gun, ATs don't have turrets, generally starting guns are pretty lousy. My tip would br hold on to the machine below, research it then check the new machines's upgrades and research anything you can as sometimes you can get guns from the machine below for 0 xp that way.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I've been playing this game for a few weeks now, been keeping one of every type of tank, got one of each around tier 4-5. feel free to add me, OxIN. Is there a meta tag for this thing?
Edit: I play on NA west.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 17, 2014

hectik
Dec 20, 2009
This game is fun as hell. I love how the matches can vary wildly depending on team "strategy" (ha). I can't tell if the menu system is a little confusing, or I'm dumb-brained (probably the latter). How do I know what class a tank is before I research/buy it?

E: Never mind, I see it's the symbols.

hectik fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 17, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Who says this game is historically inaccurate cuz the Lee :negative:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
New premiums are out, the bundle with the repair kits/First Aid/extinguishers is still there but the Jagdtiger and Super Pershing are replaced with:

The King of the Jungle package: Löwe German Tier VIII heavy tank, garage slot, 100% crew, 50 gold ammo, 30 days of premium. 14300 gold
Heavy Metal package: T34 US Tier VIII heavy tank. Rest is same as above 13900 gold

Not played the T34 yet but I think I need to get a gun rammer on the Löwe ASAP and it appears to have the "burst into flames if someone even looks at the lower glacis" weakpoint which brought my first game in it to an abrupt halt.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 17, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Some info on those tanks from a PC version player:

The Löwe is a King Tiger with worse armor, a slightly better gun, and much worse mobility. Oh, and all the Premium tank perks (in the PC version this is increased money making potential and the ability to take the crew of any same-nation same-class tank at no penalty).
The T34 (US heavy, not the T-34 which is a soviet medium) is a T32 with worse armor, a slightly better gun, and much worse mobility. And Premium perks. Its gun is more of an upgrade in damage and pen than the Löwe's over the King Tiger, but pays for it with much worse handling (bigger aiming circle when you move the tank, longer aiming time).

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 17, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Sup man, I just started this recently too and I know that feeling. Being the only light tank in a game containing panthers and poo poo is hard. I'm up to the M3 Lee, which like the M2 is a deathbox. My gamertag is Tabell if anyone wants to add me. (I'm EU)
If the M3 Lee gets you killed, then you're simply inexperienced. It's a monster of a little tank with only one disadvantage - the locked hull turret. That said since the turret is asymmetrical, it's EXCELLENT for poking halfway around a building and killing people without taking fire in return (a lot of TDs are like this as well - the AT 8 is one, iirc.) I get tons of kills on players two tiers above me, using the M3 Lee. It hauls rear end, turns fast, has a really powerful gun for its tier, and surprisingly robust armor provided you don't get shot in the sides or back (not a lot of angled armor so if you get hit, it'll probably hurt.) Play it like an Alecto - without worrying about the Alecto's atrocious gun and armor.

It also leads to the M4 Sherman series, which are probably the best mediums all-around. The German Vk series are pretty alright and have some huge guns, but they all sacrifice a lot of armor compared to the M4 series.

Bad Moon posted:

Who says this game is historically inaccurate cuz the Lee :negative:
I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean.

VaultAggie posted:

Is it just me or is the starting turret on the AT-8 just awful? I can barely make a penetration shot, even on lower tiered tanks.
Yes. IIRC, the AT-8 starts with a tier FOUR gun! :smith:

I actually stopped running ATs when I got to the AT8 because I got sick of being so loving slow for thirty matches before I could get enough scraped up to upgrade their gun. Luckily I dropped immediately into the M3 Lee after that to pursue the American mediums, so I didn't feel limited - just FAST!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

coyo7e posted:

I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean.

He's complaining about the Lee not being any good. It was a notoriously lovely tank in real life. The Soviets even referred to it as the "coffin for 7 brothers".

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Q_res posted:

He's complaining about the Lee not being any good. It was a notoriously lovely tank in real life. The Soviets even referred to it as the "coffin for 7 brothers".

What this guy said. I'm having a lot better luck now then last evening when I'm not getting reamed by Churchill VIIs and M4A3E2s.. I not so down on the Lee as I can zip around better now and avoid stupid risks but goddamn the lack of turret is a huge liability sometimes especially trying to maneuver in urban settings. The Matilda is slower than poo poo for medium but I can at least shoot behind me if I fuckup. Seems to have better armor too.

Eating light tanks up in a Pz. III is a lot of fun too.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 18, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bad Moon posted:

What this guy said. I'm having a lot better luck now then last evening when I'm not getting reamed by Churchill VIIs and M4A3E2s.. I not so down on the Lee as I can zip around better now and avoid stupid risks but goddamn the lack of turret is a huge liability sometimes especially trying to maneuver in urban settings. The Matilda is slower than poo poo for medium but I can at least shoot behind me if I fuckup. Seems to have better armor too.

Eating light tanks up in a Pz. III is a lot of fun too.

The Pz.III excels as a really aggressive speed demon that has more than enough weight to ram enemy tanks and more than enough armour to not have to worry to much about dying on the approach. Just make sure you only try and ram things your tier and below. Higher tier tanks gain weight, fast.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Holy poo poo the 105mm on the M4 is tits!

I'm one shotting tier 3s like they're nothing. How the wheel has turned :black101:

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

coyo7e posted:

:siren: New maps coming March 18!

They will be released over time as people accumulate kills, beginning on the 18th.

First map at 10 million kills, Lakeville, another urban map.

25 Million, El Halluf, desert map.

40 million, Prokhorovka (??) will be released.
Prokhorovka is a mostly flat map.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm a wot PC player but I am thinking about trying the xbox version out, the thing I gotta ask is, is the kv1s as brokenly OP as it is on the PC?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The Russians are not in the Xbox version just yet apart from one premium which isn't available any more.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Fun can be had in this game without actually spending real life money right? You can upgrade to higher tier tanks in a respectable timeframe...right?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

vivisectvnv posted:

Fun can be had in this game without actually spending real life money right? You can upgrade to higher tier tanks in a respectable timeframe...right?

Yup. The money I've spent has been entirely optional - buying slots and a day of premium for giggles. Other than that, you get silver and exp enough to upgrade.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

vivisectvnv posted:

You can get to tier 5/6 without too much issue. Tier 7 starts getting kinda rough.

For the most part, tier 5/6 is one of the best tiers anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sure. It depends on how much you concentrate on a specific line as for how quickly you get the higher tier stuff, but other than that you can get away without buying anything. The special ammunition can also be purchased with in-game currency (Silver) rather than Gold by hitting Y when you're in the Consumables screen.

Those are the ones with red and blue contrails.

And yeah, I really enjoy tier 5/6, except for the occasional match where I'm thrown in with a bunch of IIX and IX tier tanks and I am just running around terrified bedfore getting one-shotted. ;)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Finally got two games done in Lakeville. The first I took my bottom tiered M4 into the town and died a few seconds later when I was shot by... everything. Second time I decided to take my Super Pershing down the lake side trail and try to hit stuff in the town, this was not as bad as the first game but I think the Pershing lacks the pen for that range, might try it in my Wolverine and see how much success I have.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm loving my M4 with the ~100mm upgrade, it's awesome. Games at a higher tier seem to play out much more tactically too, I'm racking up experience on the tank like there's no tomorrow as I'm getting more kills and surviving more often. Awesome.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
El halluf is out today. I've heard it's not great, but hey, it's a new map. Anyone check the WOT XB360 forum? They seem to have exchanged the anti semitism with lots of whinging.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
If they used the new version of El Halluf its not nearly as bad as the old one, you have some room to move up under cover now. But the main way to play that map is snipe from the ridges your side spawns up on or with a tank with good depression go play peek and poke up in the North West corner.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What's the trick to using the tier 5 Churchill? I almost always end up getting smoked in it. I have it fully upgraded but I just die everytime.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VaultAggie posted:

What's the trick to using the tier 5 Churchill? I almost always end up getting smoked in it. I have it fully upgraded but I just die everytime.
Extremely heavy frontal armor for its class. Run in a pack, and try to never expose most of your body by staying behind low rocks, teammates, tank hulks, etc. Stay out of taking shortcuts across the open because your tracks are only marginally less prone to breaking than an AT2, and you're slow as hell. good guns though.

I never had a ton of trouble with it. But, the Tier 6 churchill gives me a tough time.

The churchill should show up slightly late to the fight and be a game-changer, insofar as the enemy should be going "okay we're holding it togethe-OH gently caress WHERE DID THAT HEAVY COME FROM!?"

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
April bundles have been announced:

Early April bundles (end on the 20th):

Year of the Tank: 360 days of premium, S35 739(f), T-15, M22. Garage slot and 100% crew for each tank. 24000 gold

Light Tank bundle: as above but only 7days premium. 3500 gold

Parking Pass: 10 garage slots 1500 gold.

Month long bundles (end on the 30th):

Welcome to the World Of Tanks: 30 days premium, 5 garage slots, 20 small FAKs, Repair kits and fire extinguishers. 3500 gold.

HMS Land Yacht: TOG II*, 100% crew, garage slot, 30 days premium. 5000 gold

Medium Royalty: Matilda Black Prince, slot, crew and 3 days premium 2000 gold.

I am definitely getting the mighty TOG II, is the Black Prince good or is it 2000 gold for a reason?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
The first churchill variant is terrible...the 2lb or the howitzer are worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Both Church models are slow tanks and althought their armor is good on the stats page but it has quite a few diffrent sections so anyone who knows how to shoot will probably be able to pen you but considering the time the Xbox version has been out it should be effective against 95% of players.

http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guide-churchill-i/

They get top guns that do low damage but high rate of fire so you can usually scare pubbies into making stupid mistakes but you often have to trade HP and that doesn't lent you carry games.

The Tog 2 can be a good comedy tank but it is slow has paper armor and is LONG as hell the only upside is a gun that will do decent DPS and a large HP pool but they are free XP most of the time, I would recommend skipping it.

• Locked thread