Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

El_Phantasmo_loco posted:

I'm having trouble choosing which class I like most. killing ironically seemed easiest with the medic, but the warrior was, of course, fun. The Engineer seemed different than what we're normally used to, ranged tank, but it felt slow for killing to me as well.

I'm in a similar seat. At the end of open beta I was absolutely certain, heart set and that I was going to play medic set in stone, but then I played some warrior again over the last few days and... well, I'm leaning back towards warrior rather heavily. Only downside is they can't be chua, but I'll live.

The trick to the engineer seems to be to make big pulls, since you can whittle down a large number of enemies at once if you're solo:ing, much like a paladin in wow wrath-era or so. That speeds up questing rather a lot I found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Syrek posted:

That said, my pet peeve is that there is no seamlessly connected world. WoW and Rift were the last MMOs to pull this off from the top of my head, and those are quite a few years old now. More recent games like SWTOR, TSW, ESO and Wildstar don't want to do it and it just feels like a huge step back in the immersion department for me.

To be fair, after the two initial zones (i.e. arkship + starter zone), the continents are "seamless" to some degree at least - you can walk from one end of a continent to the other without encountering a loading screen. There are some bottlenecks used to ferry people forward in zone progression, but you can certainly hike across mountains to another zone if you really set your mind on it (and find a way to scale 'em.)

edit: beaten like a drum at a rock concert.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

You can easily test that by starting the game in dx9 mode (add -dx9 as a parameter in your shortcut.). Not that I'd want to run it in dx9 mode, but still...

Edit: vvvv
Must've been by a second at most. Your post showed up when the page reloaded after I'd pressed post. :)

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 26, 2014

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

New features trailer released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGSqb-pNZK0

Nothing anyone here haven't seen before, but might be good for convincing friends to get the game.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

flipoff posted:

Another question about paths, are the missions and such dependant on a certain path level? Lets say I start in Deradune and completely ignore my path until level 20, can I suddenly start doing path poo poo in whatever zone is appropriate at level 20, or is it going to tell me to go back and kill/collect/scan/explore poo poo in Deradune?

The latter I'd imagine, seeing as how path missions aren't really dependent on path experience, but rather your actual level in most cases. I think you'd still get proper path experience by going back too, however.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Chonchon posted:

I was having the same issue, but changing my email and resending the confirmation fixed it somehow.

In semi-related news to email, registrations and confirmations (but Carbine/NCSoft this time), this was posted on the forums earlier:

CRB_Anlath posted:

Hi all,
NCSOFT's account system is going down for maintenance at 20.00 PDT (05/27/14) / 21.00 EDT (05/27/14) / 03.00 UTC (28/05/14).

During this time, you will be unable to log in and access these following services:

• Account Management
• WildStar Support Site
• WildStar Forums

This downtime is scheduled to last 14 hours, however may be longer. Please monitor this thread for any update!

Regards,
Team WildStar

Just in case anyone planned to do account stuff during that time.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Jfizzoid posted:

Well, looks like I won't be adding those hyphens to my phone number this morning after all. :colbert:

It's a shame, that!

(Really only thought I'd post it because otherwise I just know there'll be a ton of post from goons complaining about poo poo not working.

Oh who am I kidding, there'll be anyway.)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

loquacius posted:

Warrior is a weird enough class for this game -- you're in space, there are magic guns and robots, why are you using a sword, stop it -- but I especially don't understand Mechari Warriors because they are robots. Why are literal robots using swords? Like, I get that they're essentially Warforged, but Warforged have an excuse not to have guns, on account of guns not existing in D&D, and Mechari don't.

Clearly it's because they're :black101: as gently caress, that's why! (Hardcore!)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Taear posted:

So who else is worried about them doing the now cliche thing of reacting to people being annoyed about queues and opening hundreds of servers?
It feels like it happens every time but I'm sure the people who are annoyed about having to queue are less likely to quit about that and FAR more likely to pack it in because they've rolled up on a server all on their own.

Cougar said yesterday on Nexus Report that aside from games with megaservers, their servers can handle way more people at once than most mmo servers do, so maybe they can avoid this. They also have character transfers in the queue, and though it wasn't quite done yet, it is apparently coming.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

a cat on an apple posted:

launch is still going to be messy :laffo:

Mattavist posted:

Every MMO dev ever has said poo poo like that, it's all meaningless.

Oh, I'm not disputing either of these things -- but if their servers are meant for a huge population it might still mean they'll have less servers in total than some others have launched with, which is all I was talking about. A completely smooth mmo launch is something I've yet to experience, on the other hand. :)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Tokaii posted:

<Awesome :words: about gaming history>

Never stop posting, good sir goon. It's really inspirational to hear anecdotes like these and see that indeed, older people play (these) games too. I'm all for a more diverse player base, it makes games better.

I can but wish I'll be as cool at your age. It's doubtful, but here's to hoping. :)

Mordecai posted:

Can I get Wildstar authentication without having it on Google? That's going to be annoying, especially if I break or lose my phone.

Use Winauth or something instead. Seems to work fine from what a bunch of goons have posted. Granted, it's still google, but at least it should be less sensitive to phone breakage.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Doublehex posted:

Hey, so guys I have a legitimate question.

Why do we hate RPers?

Maybe it's because I play and run DND-like games, but I don't really see the big deal. RPers are just applying one of tabletop RPG's core concepts to its digital siblings. Hell, if one of my players came to me with that Scarlet Bell profile I would have a loving heart attack. I'd go out of my way for rewarding that player with loot or other poo poo for doing something like that.

So, why the hate?

I'd say part of it is hating on ERPers given that we've seen those in a lot of other MMOs being less than private about their activities. It's just that perfect storm of internet anonymity, easy access and a near-captive audience that makes some people go way, way over the top, and it's a tad annoying. These points are also true for the over-the-top narcissistic and terrible rp:ers out there, of course, as per Gameko's post above.

As someone who tends to play on RP-servers at least from my experience most people who RP don't do these things and don't belong into either of those groups but that as always, there's these small very vocal and very, very visible groups there that inevitably cause some guilt-by-association just because you have to go near them at times.

Honestly, I've had a lot of fun RP:ing in mmos -- if something lovely happens, as with everything else, just ignore and move on.

Edit: And don't take it too seriously, obviously.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So is "account.wildstar-online.com" persistently unavailable to everyone else? I have never been able to get in, it says ERR_CONNECTION_RESET but I can visit other pages. Also, is that where I need to go to reserve a name? I'm gonna be sad if I have to end up as Khaos_kid_663 or something :(.

I don't think name reservation is available any longer. As for the account.wildstar-online.com thing, what worked for me was flushing my dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns at a cmd.exe prompt) and restarting my browser, but it might've just been a coincidence.

Furthermore, Carbine has a page up on the issues here.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Servers are up again for more Ops week. Authenticator works fine too, it seems. I wonder what the time-out is, though?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

blueberrysmith posted:

By the way, where the hell do Wildstar screenshots get saved to?

It's under %USERPROFILE%\NCSOFT\WildStar\Screenshots

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

Eh so I'm told it was resolved a couple posts down from the dudes post so my bad. When I was scrolling through the page I was looking for someone quoting TLM to respond but didn't see it so I assumed it was still unresolved. Sorry for my lovely posts

Hey, if they help stop those unbearable derails we got in the last few incarnations of these threads, I'm all for it.

Anyway, as for the discussion, I agree that Settler is pretty low-maintenance if you don't give a crap about path stuff while still being easy enough to let you grab the relevant perks you want.

Me? I like going off of the beaten path, so I'm totally going scientist. (Because lore is more enjoyable than jump puzzles.). Plus there are some really nice areas and details to be found/seen in the zones I've been in so far, and I've only really been in starter and early ones. (I've consciously stopped myself from leveling beyond either capital city).

Edit:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Imagine her (I think) coming at you naked saying "Baby say my real name, call me franbunny final fantasy 12...."

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Minsky posted:

I don't know much about paths but I hear you can buy different hats for the scientist scanbot that follows you around so that's the one I'm picking.

I still have no idea about which class though!

Edit:

I had no idea you could customize your scanbot that far. That is just magnificent. :allears:

• Locked thread