Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cross-post from the General Chat Thread as this seems the most likely place for people to have played the game in all of Games.

:siren: Mod Approved Shameless Goon Self-promotion :siren:

I've officially 'Done A Thing' and put one of my favorite game soundtracks on vinyl: The Cat Lady. Yeah, the dead format your grandpa used to play Bing Crosby on.

https://twitter.com/stumpyfrogrecs/status/1120219084950396928

Anyway, this project means a lot to me. The Cat Lady means a lot to me. And from the emails I've been getting, it seems to mean a lot to other people as well. The music is a huge part of that.

I've made 500 copies and geeze, I really don't want to end up with 450 copies stashed in my garage over the coming years, so if you're interested at all in the niche of a niche of a niche that is Indie Horror Game Soundtrack On Vinyl, please do pre-order. I've kept the price as low as I possibly could for a double LP and every purchase helps.

You can pre-order here: https://www.stumpyfrog.com/

I have a couple of other fantastic soundtracks to indie games that I'd really like to give a beautiful release but it would take about 250 copies of The Cat Lady sold for me to be able to do that.

You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msg_DMtuXVE

You can get The Cat Lady game here (I highly recommend it):

https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady

And the sequel, Lorelai, comes out tomorrow here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/593960/Lorelai/

Thanks for reading and thank you very much Palpek for letting me post this here!

There used to be a thread for horror games, then there weren't any non-lovely horror games so the thread died. This trend seems to have reversed somewhat in the past couple years so here's another thread! :spooky: Now SPOOKTACULARLY updated with brand new imagORY for the year Two Thousand and SixSCREAM! OOoooooo! :spooky:

(MOSTLY) RECENT RELEASES

Until Dawn

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728551

PS4 exclusive, basically a slasher film in video game form.

Soma

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742659
Frictional's (the makers of Amnesia: The Dark Descent) Next Big Thing. Not as heavy on the horror but really good and contemplative.

Alien: Isolation

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642590
This came out and is actually really good, I'm happy to be wrong about my expectations. The hiding from other humans parts I'm not too hot on but it's a really tense game in the vein of Amnesia: Dark Descent.

The Evil Within

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3672159

Among the Sleep

This was a really cool idea put together by a small Norwegian studio. It finally released at the end of May 2014, after a successful Kickstarter ended in May 2013.

You play a child (a literal child, not a manchild) and wake up one night to find something is wrong in your dark and spooky house. As far as horror goes, this wasn't in my top 10 as it's not particularly scary throughout, but instead it ended up being a really touching story. There are some platforming elements but I didn't find them too annoying, and the game isn't long enough to overstay its welcome.

Outlast

This is the loud, in your face, found-footage entry to the horror game scene. It's basically the V/H/S of horror games, it tries to shock and throw a bunch of stuff at you and there's not much subtlety to be found. Many people found it annoying, but I loved it for those reasons. This is one of the few horror games I've played recently (during the last year anyway) that's given me feelings of dread. Sure there are a lot of jump scares, but they mostly work.

-addon for Outlast: Outlast: Whistleblower DLC

I haven't played this yet, the general consensus seems to be it's just more Outlast. So if you like Outlast you'll probably like it. It's supposed to take place right before the first game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

This has been out forever now and you probably know about it, but it's horror done really well. I'd go so far as to say this is already a classic in the horror games genre. You need to play this if you have even a passing interest in horror games.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

The name Amnesia, the engine, and time period/setting are about the only things this one has in common with Dark Descent. It's made by The Chinese Room and not Frictional, so the story is a lot more Dear Esther and a lot less Dark Descent. If you liked Dear Esther, and also like overwrought narration about the plight of the bourgeoisie in 1800s London you might like this way more than I did.

Anna

I finally bought it because it was on Steam for $2. It's a story heavy horror adventure with some great concepts that just falls apart in the gameplay. It takes all the worst things about old adventure gaming logic and marries it with a painfully clunky interface. Even the Extended Edition, which was recently released and has improvements to the inventory and controls, is a chore to use. Still it has some good ideas buried in the mess, some uniquely done scares, and an overarching theme touching on women's roles in society throughout history. If you love working through difficult puzzles you might get something out of this.

al-azad posted:

Now let me tell you about my other favorite game, Scratches.

On the outskirts of Rothbury is the Blackwood mansion. In 1963, shortly after returning from work in Africa, the esteemed Mr. Blackwood was charged with the murder of his wife. Dying from a heart attack, Blackwood passed his mansion on to Dr. Milton who disappeared without a trace. A decade has passed and truth turns to legend.

You are Michael Arthate, an author with a case of writer's block. Your business partner purchases the mansion hoping to inspire your next book. As you explore the mansion you find Blackwood's diaries detailing his disturbing business in Africa. A secluded tribe. Ritualistic sacrifice. A stolen artifact behind a boarded up room. You're troubled by nightmares and the sound of beating drums. Sounds beneath the floorboards... scratches.

Scratches is a first person adventure game. Everything is static 2D so there's no 3D exploration. It has some of the pixel hunting trappings but overall it's closer to Gone Home than 7th Guest. You have to solve puzzles to progress (especially a devious one near the end) but the focus is on exploring the house and the journal is super helpful (if you ever get stuck, use the phone which is usually required to advance time). What makes Scratches so effectively horrifying is that you're all alone. You never meet another human being. There are no jump scares, no closet moments, nothing can kill you or impede your progress. The game is moody, atmospheric, and never makes clear what the source of the disturbance is. For a game with no monsters I thought Scratches was one of the most effective horror stories in a video game.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

UPCOMING HORROR GAMES

Routine (expected release date: who knows, sometime in the next year maybe)

There's a team of only 4 people making this and it's been in development a while. The fact that it will use permadeath kinda worries me, but maybe it will work really well within whatever the game turns out to be, there hasn't been new info in a long time. The 80s sci-fi aesthetic looks totally rad. And tubular. I've always wanted to hack into a space station computer using Tandy equipment (this may not actually happen in the game, but still. FLOPPY DISKS. TAPE STORAGE. RETRO-FUTURISTIC.)

Just look at that blocky CRT monitor :allears:

Alpha Gameplay Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8

Asylum (release date: who knows, 2014 sometime maybe

The creatively titled game from the makers of Scratches. Hey at least they're embracing the whole thing and being completely upfront about where the game will take place. Another Kickstarter project which successfully funded February 2013.

There was a Kickstarter update in May about how they're switching the game to Unity, so that probably will add to the delay.

"Asylum is a chilling journey through the intricate floors of the Hanwell Mental Institute, in which unimaginable atrocities have occurred in the past. Over four years in production, this horror adventure aims to marry cutting edge visuals with thrilling storytelling to give you the ultimate experience in fear. From the designer of the award-winning and cult sleeper hit Scratches."

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 2, 2016

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

AllLuckySevens posted:

Recently downloaded dreadout on steam. Seems like a fatal frame-esqu experience, I'll update with impressions. Any FF fans here? Always loved the idea
I played through Dreadout not long ago. I liked it more than most people seemed to, because it was not well received. It does a lot of things poorly, like setting 90% of the game in one uninteresting school building, and there's a completely bullshit puzzle, but I still found the Indonesian folklore and rest of the game interesting enough to hold my attention. There's a second part coming out sometime in the future.

I never played Fatal Frame though so I can't compare it that way.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I forgot about Asylum and The Evil Within, I'll add those to the list. This is shaping into a decent year for horror games.

Niggurath posted:

It's just a shame that it got released so half-assedly....and with the unnecessary skeezy costumes. Seriously, what was the point in those?
It's even worse when the character is specifically mentioned as being 17. They really could have done without that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hellburger99 posted:

I just played through and "beat" Knock Knock. It's not really as scary as some of the other entries in this thread, but I like the atmosphere it builds and the sound work is top notch. The game is built like sleep-over/rite of passage style games kids play at sleepovers, like Bloody Mary or One Person Hide and Seek, so if you're interested in sorta urban legend, folklore-y stuff, it might be up your alley.

Also, much like those games, a big part of Knock Knock is "learning the rules." The game throws a lot of confusing and contradictory directions at you, encouraging exploration, but also to just kind of lose yourself in the weirdness of it. I got it for $2 during GoG's summer sale, and I'd recommend it at that price.
I never managed to get the ending where you don't run out of sanity, those last few levels can get ridiculous. It's a weird game, which was to be expected from Ice Pick Lodge, and I got the game by backing it for $5 on Kickstarter so I was happy.

And speaking of Ice Pick, there was a rumor several months ago they were going to be remaking Pathologic and using Kickstarter for it, but there hasn't seemed to be any news since then.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure they've already shown the drinking bird :eng101:
Yep here it is!

Also the A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT android:

Also Scratches was good, I loved exploring the mansion, but I hated some of those puzzles. I just don't have the patience anymore, and that game is a prime example of my love/hate relationship with adventure games. It's cheap on Steam and goes on sale all the time as well.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 5, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's probably worth mentioning that if you get Scratches: Director's Cut, which is what's on Steam, don't expect too much out of "The Last Visit", which is an extra "chapter" that was added. It's only a few minutes long and has a dumb ending. You might as well check it out if you have it, since it won't waste much of your time, but it doesn't add much.

al-azad posted:

Now let me tell you about my other favorite game, Scratches.
Also, thanks for the writeup on this! If anyone else has a game to recommend and wants to put together something like this, I'll quote it in the OP.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

To be fair, it looks like it's still in the very early stages of Early Access so I bet a lot of things can be broken. But still that game looks really ambitious, and I don't see how they can create much of a horror experience and still have all these big ideas about crafting and exploring these big spaces. There seem to be a lot of developers jumping on the open world bandwagon, I'd prefer they just write a good, tightly scripted story and focus on getting it polished to a shine, especially if you're just a small indie studio.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Fingerless Gloves posted:

A horror game I regret playing is Doorways. If you haven't played it, the storyline is something along the lines of you are a detective who can enter people's minds to understand their crimes or something along those lines. It's basically an first person adventure that takes lots of inspiration from Amnesia, but without their skill.

Their idea of a scare is to spawn a crying woman on a bridge that grabs you when you walk past and gets all up in your grill being all angry at you. The bridge isn't wide enough to go around her. What do you do? Just jump on a plank and go around her. Ah, I hear, but what then! She tries her luck at blocking you again a little while later, and you.. do the same as the first time.

Or maybe I'm just too harsh on it and other people might like it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I picked this up on impulse during the Steam summer sale, and just played through the first chapter. The scares are pretty much all those cheap jump scares you mentioned. It feels like they're padding it out a lot too, that bridge sequence goes on way too long and is basically a platforming segment where you have to get across this series of wooden planks without falling off. Then you end up in a castle where you backtrack like 3 times and repeat the same type of pictogram puzzle over and over to get past the same traps. I'd skip this one unless you're really hard up for a cheap horror game. At least the narrator's voice work is pretty good.

e: finished Chapter 2, it's not the worst thing I've spent $3.50 on, but it's pretty dull. There is a lot of backtracking and jumping puzzles. The other puzzles aren't too bad and are mostly intuitive, but they like to hide things in weird places for a few of them.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 6, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The puzzle with the statues and spears was a pretty good idea, but really random at times. I'm sure I dashed past ones which caught me on other runs.

The voice actor is Daniel from Amnesia isn't it?
It looks like he is, I didn't know that. He's not credited for this game on IMdb, but they list him on the game's website.

The statues were a pretty good idea in general, but I could have done without walking through that same corridor full of them 4 times. Changing the move speed on you throughout the game is one way to control the pacing I guess, but takes control away from the player more than I like to see.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Outlast and the DLC are on sale for $5 and $4.50 on GamersGate: http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=outlastpromo
That's about the price it was during the Steam flash/daily sales.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The Dead Space series in general dropped the ball early by making you such a killing machine so quickly, which ruins most of the tension and turns it into an action game. Which is fine if it's an action game, but they tried to sell it as a horror game, which it is not in this reviewer's eyes.
|
:spergin:

JordanKai posted:

Miasmata sounds like it would be right up your alley.
Did this end up being any good? I thought I remembered hearing bad things about it, unless I'm mixing it up with another title.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Not as good as that picture, but I'm pretty pleased by it

I started a contest in the PGS Steam gifting thread to give away a Steam key for Neverending Nightmares (alpha access now, beta access and the full game when it comes out this fall), if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=696#post431988541

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

All the parts of Silent Hill 4 that take place in the apartment are so well done they almost carry the rest of the game. Using a first person perspective for the first time to force you into that space, and then slowly taking away your feelings of safety throughout the game was masterful. I don't remember any other parts of the game though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Spacedad posted:

I think the biggest problem with a lot of horror games (the ones that are very seriously attempting to be scary) is that too many of them are rational, when the biggest strength horror games have is when they drag you deep into a feeling of being in a totally irrational fever dream. I think a lot of them cling far too much to the structure of a linear game where you are meant to do things that make sense, such as solving puzzles or defeating enemies. Or even where you can just plain 'die' and then respawn from your save.

Real nightmares don't have that linearity to them - they might have the illusion of structure, but that structure breaks down and warps. Rather than merely get killed by an enemy encounter or something, you instead feel you are faced with the terrible prospect of having your soul scraped across by the claws of the nightmare experience. Even getting 'killed' shouldn't be a way out - you instead just tumble into another nasty point of the nightmare.
To plug Neverending Nightmares yet again, that's exactly what he's aiming to do with that game. There's a couple places where your objective is to use an item, like the axe in the Kickstarter demo, but there aren't puzzles or combat. Progressing through the game just gets you deeper into worse nightmares, and the death system is handled really well too, you just "wake up" to a slightly earlier point in the nightmare.

The Silent Hill games did that really well too, especially in 2 where James keeps running into these random weirdos and having bizarre conversations, although I was never sure how much of that was due to translation issues.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Doom 3 works better as a horror game than as an FPS, there are definitely a lot of good horror moments. The problem is it gets too tedious, and the scares start to be telegraphed.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It looks like there was a teaser trailer released a few months ago for Draugen, the Red Thread Games project that was confusingly announced during the Longest Journey: Dreamfall: Chapters: Part 1 - Rapidly Expanding Title Kickstarter was in full swing so no one really noticed or cared.

So, "2015" sometime maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aA2rbU45Y (turn down your speakers at the end there's a super obnoxiously loud music/noise sting)

quote:

Gone Home meets Amnesia in a story inspired by Norse mythology, Norwegian fairy tales and national romanticism, Dostoyevsky, Hamsun and H.P. Lovecraft.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

al-azad posted:

I've sung the praises of Anna and it's a shame the atmosphere is wrapped around an obtuse game because it has the best scares I've seen in a video game.
I've already talked about how much I hate the gameplay of Anna in the original post, but I do have to agree it has some fantastic horror moments. My personal favorite is when you go into the woodworking room and if you hang around in there long enough, these mannequins will suddenly appear on the floor. Stay a little bit longer and they disappear, which makes the player stop and wonder what happened to them. Then there's the silhouette of a hand slowly reaching across your face, like something's grabbing you from behind.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Soho Joe posted:

Lone Survivor is a 2D zombie game with a survival/thriller focus that will absorb your soul if you let yourself get immersed in it.
I've heard a lot of good things about this, I'll have to check it out at the next Steam sale. "Home" is one to avoid though right? I get the two mixed up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Sanity basically runs on how much you stay in the dark and how much you look at monsters. It restores every time you finish a main objective. I'm not gonna spoil more than that, because it's honestly a really good game and you'd miss out on the experience.
Yeah, it's way more effective to not know exactly how the mechanics work. Once you start to peer behind the curtain too much it gets a lot less scary.

Just know that light is your friend, but also your enemy. Because things can see you when you're in the light.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

al-azad posted:

What really nailed Half-Life 2's atmosphere for me is the idea that an alien race would use parasites as biological warfare. The concept is seen in classic horror like War of the Worlds where the Martians spray their goo to change the landscape but I've never really seen sci-fi that had the enemy bombard entire cities to turn them into alien zombies. And there's nothing you can really do to combat it because headcrabs are like cats, they can fit anywhere.
This was posted a couple days ago, but I think you hit on a really good point. There were a lot of little scenes in Half-Life 2 that drove it home for me, such as when you're driving along the coastline and come across one of the scattered houses off by itself. If you check them out, some will have these pods that have crashed through the roof or landed nearby, and the only thing left alive are a few zombies. Along with the moody atmosphere, it really tells a bleak story. Even though the game is pretty linear, it makes you feel like you're part of a big, scary world where they just bombarded every living area with these things, and even being in a remote house no one was really safe.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

weekly font posted:

Yeah this is great and the first "I'm scared video" ever iirc. It was probably genuine and TDD can actually be that scary. Unfortunately it started a trend and people feel the need to turn every scary game into four hours of this now.
I wouldn't be surprised, I don't remember even starting to hear about reaction videos until Amnesia: Dark Descent came out. I'm still kinda amazed that it turned into A Thing at all. Some of the Amnesia ones were fantastic but they're also the only ones I've had any desire to watch, it was such a great game for this.

Here's my favorite one called "Brad finds an iron maiden" that also seems really genuine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=env3EtA7KXQ

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Alabaster White posted:

That's like, the fakest-sounding screaming I've ever heard, and the situation isn't even the slightest bit scary.
I don't know, I'm pretty sure that's just how the guy is. I don't think it's a put on.

If you watch this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVmxR4P4Uzw it doesn't sound like he's trying to be a fake scream guy, I think the game just genuinely wound him up to that point, he seems pretty sincere in all the videos. If not then I'm dumb and completely bought into it.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 5, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

BlueDestiny posted:

Sounds like Outlast, since that's the only horror game I know that lets you look behind you while running.
That sounds a lot like Outlast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80Wv66GYSs&t=173s (about 2:50 if the link doesn't take you to the right time)

I remember thinking how scripted that all looked when I first saw the trailer, and it was, but I still really liked the game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Does it seem like top-down indie horror games are suddenly starting to pop up on Steam, or am I just now starting to notice them? Darkwood looks like the one that's getting the most attention, but I've seen a few new ones in the past couple months or so, Motte Island and Blackbay Asylum being two examples. I don't know how good they actually are though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

woodenchicken posted:

I dunno if it's cool to post about these things here, but the first teaser trailer for the Pathologic remake is now up, and they seem to be ramping up to an ARG over at http://feverishfeeling.com
YES this is the perfect place to post that. So now we know why Ice Pick was asking for a bunch of extras for some film a while ago (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/27/pathologic-remake/)

Fojar38 posted:

This was also posted several days ago but I get the feeling most of those houses were resistance shelters rather than residential homes when they were bombarded. The Combine don't often use headcrabs because they are difficult to control and can actually pose a problem for their own occupation forces if it gets out of hand (which we started to see in Episode 1 with infested Combine soldiers.) Headcrab bombardment is intended to be a terror tactic, and its deployment against members of the resistance is intended to set an example of why you shouldn't resist the Combine. The Combine can just use regular old footsoldiers or bombardment if their goal is strategic. So, those houses and whatnot were resistance bases, not just average joe civilian homes, and Ravenholm was a massive resistance stronghold before it was bombarded.

I think this was mentioned in one of the commentaries somewhere.
poo poo I forgot all about that. Most of those places would have the resistance caches of weapons and ammo too, now that I think back. It's been so long since I played the game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Bieeardo posted:

Del Toro's done 'The Strain' recently... which really isn't saying much.
The Strain is pretty rad though, both the books and the TV series (so far). Yeah I know everyone's sick of vampires, and they were even when the book came out a few years ago, but he managed to take the genre back to a place of actual horror by making them hideous, infected creatures, with a nice heaping dose of body horror to go along with it, once again.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Outlast had a bunch of what I considered jump scares that worked for the game. Especially the first couple, going into the library and having the body swing in front of your face while a super loud noise plays. That one was definitely a jump scare, although you knew something was going to happen, the suddenness of it and the fact that there's no actual danger (yet) puts it in that category. And then right after that, as you squeeze through the narrow opening in the hallway, you get grabbed by the big Sergeant whats his name guy and thrown down to the bottom floor. That one is also unexpected and suddenly thrusts you into a whole new, unknown area of the hospital, which I found really terrifying. The jump scares in general worked really well on me, there's tons of scripting but it's well orchestrated and spaced out pretty well too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The lobby is so tense. You're in a big, exposed part of a completely unfamiliar area, you don't know exactly what's going on yet, and the whole place is just full of shadowy corners that could be hiding anything. It took me a while to get up the nerve to start finding my way around there.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I seem to remember hearing complaints about Outlast being obnoxious here and there, particularly complaints about the jump scares, but I don't have any specific reviews in mind. I loved the game.

Ularg posted:

(I actually don't mind Markiplier, he doesn't do the screaming or rape jokes that pewds does and he's usually funny as a regular player thing)
That dude's got a fantastic voice (and I love he's so dedicated that he has acoustic foam up on his walls), but his mugging for the camera is just painful to watch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Did you figure out how to finish the demo? I've heard a lot online about people not being able to get to the end at all, it sounds like the "win" conditions are kinda random.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

The demo version is the first two nights. The first to get you to understand the mechanics, and the second ramps up the difficulty and starts to change the rules on you. Dude bases his entire review on the tutorial half of a demo.
Yeah I just picked up the full Five Nights at Freddy's game and played to night 2, and the first night is really dull but that changes so fast. I kinda went into the game not expecting much, but it's really got me on edge. I didn't watch any videos or read much about it beforehand, and all their movements so far seem really random and unpredictable, which is kinda terrifying.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I liked Knock knock enough for a couple plays (I still never got the good ending, the game is pretty hard), but it got pretty tedious. The randomized outside areas didn't help, I swear I was wandering around in the woods for a good five minutes once before the house popped back up.

In related news I discovered that I'm too much of a wuss for Five Nights at Freddys. The game is nerve wracking. I finally got to night 3, but that's after a few tries and playing during the daytime.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I just heard about this game called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It looks like some sort of spooky adventure game where you play a detective who can talk to the dead trying to find some kid who went missing.

It might not be jump scare type horror but judging by the gameplay video I have seen it definitely looks like just the thing I have been looking for after playing P.T. Just an atmospheric first person puzzle/exploration game with some occult H.P. Lovecraft stuff thrown in. Looks pretty awesome and comes out in September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_aNw4pTqc
Yeah it looks really interesting. I was surprised how quickly it's coming out though, I only heard about it a couple months ago and there's not much info about it. There's a thread for it too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640669

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

mr sad posted:

I'm surprised this thread hasn't spent more time talking about P.T./Silent Hills. I just heard about it on the Rooster Teeth podcast and spent the next twenty minutes reading about it. Even looking at still shots of the game had me creeped out.

Edit: Oh, I didn't read far back enough. It got some mentions. Still... I figured you all would be more excited for it. Is it because it's only had a teaser, and isn't a full game yet?
Also P.T. is PS4 only, so that rules me out from trying it. The bits of video I watched look pretty good, but I really don't like watching other people play through games.

And it seems like Silent HillS is a ways off still, so who knows how it will turn out. I'm not holding my breath too much, especially if it goes console exclusive.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yardbomb posted:

To be honest Amnesia just didn't do it for me at all. I loved the Penumbra games so when I saw those dudes were making Amnesia, I was pretty hyped for it. I don't regret giving them my money and all cause hey, I like their games and now their new one looks really good, but something about Ye Olde Spooky Castle™ just didn't work for me and I'm always a little disappointed that their game I liked the least blew up harder then the others.
I played the Penumbra games but they had a lot of issues, I always thought of Amnesia as the result of them learning from those games and refining their development process. They streamlined and got rid of things that didn't work, like the combat and clunkier puzzles, and really built up the horror aspects.

Hakkesshu posted:

That's weird, because I never even knew there was a sanity "meter" and an accompanying fail state in Amnesia until I read about it on the internet long afterwards. It seemed entirely organic to me, and I never worried about maintaining it at all.
Yeah, they do a good job of making you think something bad will happen if you completely lose it, but the worst that can happen is you start hyperventilating and sink to the floor, and you can just get up and move around again after a few seconds.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Most of those bundle games look very not good, but I'm considering getting it for Lucius and giving the other keys away or something. Lucius hasn't been on sale yet for $5 that I've seen. I've heard it's a mediocre game, but hey, it's a fairly recent horror. The premise is kinda neat, you basically play Damien.

CottonWolf posted:

Neverending Nightmares hits on the 26th of September. I'm debating having a Kickstarter horror month, with that, then replaying Knock Knock and Pathologic.
Oh nice trailer, I hadn't seen that one.

This game is going to be awesome. I backed it and I've been playing the builds as they come out, it's currently in beta with a full playthrough and looking fantastic. I'm probably going to start a separate thread for it soon, it's that good. I have a feeling it's going to get dinged in reviews due to the length (about 1-1/2 hours) and lack of traditional gameplay, but it's a tightly focused and incredibly unique experience with a lot of attention to detail. I really haven't seen anything like it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

That is some extraordinarily bad voice acting, good Lord.
I wasn't super impressed with the guy's voice but the female voice actor is really good. There's not a lot of voice acting in the game anyway though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

ladyboy pancake posted:

Contrary to what I expected, watching videos of Five Nights at Freddy's did not actually prepare me for playing it.

Game is goddam terrifying.
Watching vs playing is a huge difference, this is definitely one of the games you have to play for yourself. It just looks kinda goofy in concept but it ends up being so tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Sad Mammal posted:

The monsters are called Abstract Daddies and they're meant to symbolize the heavily implied Angela's rape by her father.
Yeah that was a pretty big "what the gently caress" moment for me when I looked it up and found out what that represented. There's some seriously dark stuff in the game, but it's not really in your face and you need to dig around a little to figure a lot of it out, which is how it should be otherwise it can come off as cheap.

If you've never seen Translated Memories, which is a translation of a Japanese guide book that goes into detail on all the monster designs and such in the Silent Hill games, check it out here: http://www.translatedmemories.com/book.html

This is the one for the SH 2 monsters: http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg48-49SH2Creature.jpg