Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jamie Noble sabotaged Ricochet and got himself regular TV appearances. This is some WCW poo poo. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No joke they might be the best wrestling ads I've ever seen.
Brock Lesnar F5'd a shark!
These new ads are not even a close second.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Reigns is limited but the reason his singles run is flat is not because he's plateaued for now. The Shield created unreasonable expectations and WWE solidified his first singles program as a disappointment by giving him Orton. For 18 months the crowd was trained to expect a level of action Reigns can't meet on his own. He might have been better off with a Goldberg push. Instead, one of his five moves of doom is a 3 star tag match. Reigns can't be The Guy without developing an elite attribute, but nothing is a red flag until he gets through the HHH feud.

I don't know if Vince is a genius for having Rollins and Ambrose ready as replacements or an idiot for saddling Reigns with Orton. Everyone has known Orton was hopeless for at least 5 months. Reigns is in the fourth or fifth biggest match at Summerslam. He's below a proxy feud between the wives of wrestlers!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WWE should start trimming the fat by firing overpaid veterans who don't contribute. #ExpensiveRey

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

He had the flu.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They have until September 29th to announce WM31 is PPV only if they don't want to completely screw subscribers.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That's got to be 130k trials or something. Around 20% of the April 6th subscriber base found a way to cancel?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pay $20 for 1 month or $60 for 6 without a contract. (e: $60 up front is still a contract?)
Canada's getting a pay TV channel.

quote:

To enhance awareness, additional marketing investment is planned around the popular
SummerSlam pay-per-view event in August. The Company will also introduce new payment plans in August,
including a $19.99 monthly plan (with no commitment) and an upfront one-time payment option for its existing
$9.99 per month offering (with six month commitment).

The Company has entered into a new 10-year partnership with Rogers Communications, a leading media
enterprise in Canada, under a landmark television programming and WWE Network agreement. The partnership
facilitates the launch of WWE Network as a traditional a-la-carte Pay-TV channel in Rogers’ cable systems with a
preview beginning August 12 and thereafter through other Pay-TV providers outside Rogers’ footprint. The
partnership also renews Rogers’ license of the Raw and SmackDown television programs, and grants Rogers
distribution rights to the Company's pay-per-views.
PDF

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Get hosed, Canada!

Shima Honnou posted:

Might just be me but that sounds horrible, aside from not having a commitment clause.
It's worth a shot. Consider a Rumble->Battleground contract for $60, Summerslam for $20 and saving $40 by not buying the awful fall shows.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Doubling the price of the Network seems like a good way to make that subscriber number drop even more!
That's an additional option, not a replacement.
It's still $10 a month if you commit for 6.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They need roughly half the Raw viewership to subscribe in order to get revenue back to 2013 PPV levels. Given their good viewers per household numbers it's probably above 60%

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is that the longterm sustainability figure or just the "what we need to break even in 2014" figure
That's to justify blowing up their PPV business. Break even is around half that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I assume that this number means that Wrestlemania definitely won't be on the Network next year.
Which caps the subscriber base at around 600K for half the year and 400K for the rest. Let's figure the recent peak Rumble and Summerslam buys are an accurate estimate of the number of people willing to pay anything for WWE outside of Mania.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They hosed up by not saying WM30 was a special bonus, giving them an out for 2015.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

how would they even reconcile that with their having all PPVs on demand? put it up on demand 30 days later like they would RAW?
That's what they did with Rumble and Elimination Chamber 2014.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm assuming that the 'one time cost' will now be a year commitment rather than six months, otherwise that's not a new plan at all.
Can you already pay $60 at once? It's not a new plan by human standards, but 60x1 is distinct from 10x6 for corporate purposes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

E: THIS IS A WEIGHTED AVERAGE INCLUDING 53 DAYS (1/1 TO 2/23) WITH 0 SUBSCRIPTIONS.

Page 3 of the results posted:

The average level of subscribers over the 6-month period through June 30, 2014 was 409,000

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 31, 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Yeah the math works if you include that dead period of 53 days.
I looks like a doomsday number but if you pull off a 600k 2nd half you've just forged ~50% growth when in reality you've falling 10% from Mania.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

NienNunb posted:

EDIT: Oh god, imagine if WWE did what they originally wanted to do and made the Network a cable channel. That would have been the most beautiful trainwreck.
Not immediately. Cable channel only happens if they get guaranteed carriage fees up front.

E: This reminds me that Vince once bullshitted about turning down a carriage offer of like $12M/month.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Stardust is better at nonsensical promos and wrestling so I'm fine with Bray being ruined.

• Locked thread