Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kidcoelacanth posted:

This fabebd guy is making good decisions

We wamt fabebd, we want fabebd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

aBagorn posted:

If he doesn't end up on another team, would he have grounds to sue for collusion?

He was really bad last year, I mean I know ravens fans say this is systematic issue, but I think that is more than enough to show that maybe they just aren't interested in signing him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

armoredgorilla posted:

For funsies, the NCAA is using this as a smoke screen to restore Penn State's post-season eligibility.

Oh god drat it, Komet is going to be insufferable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

haljordan posted:

They'll probably send the C-squad team of lawyers fresh out of school to argue that one.

Preaseason litigation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Harlock posted:

Will Thomas @willthomasfox5 · 23m
From @HarveyLevinTMZ He's promising more coverage that could indicate #NFL cover up. #RayRice #RavensNation More at 10 &11 @fox5newsdc

That's crazy.

I am on loving board.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mahoning posted:

So who is the odds on favorite to get fined for writing some dumb thing like Ray Rice's initials on his shoes during Sunday's game in solidarity with that shitbag.

Harbaugh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Because what we really loving need is Congress to get involved.

At least they would be doing something I suppose.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

I think Rice should eventually, a while from now, be eligible for re-instatement. Conditionally, of course, upon the completion of certain anger management and spousal abuse programs.

Yeah but you can always backtrack later.

Saying this now just makes you wishy-washy at best.

Especially considering he is getting heat for not taking this seriously in the first place.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

On top of being a wife beater Ray Rice is impressively dumb. I doubt we ever hear a touching from the heart apology in which Rice says all the right things because even if that was how he felt he doesn't have the vocabulary to express it. He makes Ray Lewis sound coherent.

Going by Harbaugh's apology the Ravens need to hire someone to help yall with writting apologies.

I mean you guys are no doubt bottom third of the league.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sour Diesel posted:

I agree, with the way John hesitated, it seemed like he was choosing his words carefully as he didn't wanna poo poo all over Ray (he should have but he was maintaining a media presence) and didn't want to say anything to be taken out of context. If he sincerely was in the dark about the video, I don't see where Harbs messed up? If he didn't make an apology at all that sucks, but I think the handling of it is more on Ozzie and Steve than John.

He was probably doing that, but it came off really bad. Especially when not only when he was really trying to avoid saying anything bad about Rice, but he also was really hesitant to condemn the act itself. I can understand not wanting to go to hard at rice himself, but yesh. It was just weird and bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The media really has just removed all agency from Janay Rice. She's either the textbook case of an abused spouse or a collection of psychological conditions that prohibit her from making choices for herself.

The last part of that piece is important to note though as Suggs still being on the team is really indicative of the hypocrisy the Ravens and the NFL at large are perpetrating.

That is not really removing agency its just kind of what psychology is.

I mean I guess you can have the position psychology is bullshit.

Also oh Rog.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

The tape is obviously still sitting on some unpaid interns desk buried under a stack of Penny Savers and Carl's Jr. coupons

Cool I didn't know the NFL's PR person posted here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

effectual posted:

Let's keep war criminals out of football please. Wife beaters are bad enough.

In a twist of fate the new comish is Ollie North.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

axeil posted:

What's the story behind "the enemies of Rutgers Athletics"? Did Schiano utter that phrase at some point?

McMagic did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just because I generally agree with Olbermann doesn't make the make the way he expresses his opinion any less idiotic or detrimental to any actual discussion.

Eh its a bit of a reach but its okay.

Not idiotic at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

If we think the state did the right thing in a measured punishment, I don't understand why the league ought to act differently for an off-the-field transgression.

The State has a procedure it has to follow, Goodell doesn't really.

A vague one with the CBA sure, but this incident shows that it wasn't actually weakening Goodell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

axeil posted:

As long as it replaces "fencing response" and pearl clutching about not watching the NFL anymore I'm okay with it.

Fencing response hasn't been a thing for two years bro.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm not sure why you're making this all about the money. If it was hundreds of dollars at the local mcdonald's, would you feel differently? Further, if one is to truly believe in the ability of the state and the individual to realize rehabilitation what ethical obligation does the NFL have to deny the individual his employment in that period?

If it's because he's in the public eye, does that make Rice's actions or his subsequent rehabilitation inherently any worse than the hundreds of thousands of anonymous cases of its ilk?

It is all about image. The state has to show that as the governing body it will give you a fair trial and a punishment based on guidelines it has set up. The simple fact is that his punishment would have been a hell of a lot harsher if they could have convinced his wife to press charges. She didn't so their hands where tied.

A company does not have that kind of barrier, so keeping on an employee in spite of whatever they did will make people think that you support that person. If the waters were murkier they could have gotten away with it, but the evidence is just to strong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Madcosby posted:

My point is that people are responding to this video allegation with incredible hindsight.

The NFL had the video so hindsight really doesn't factor in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dexo posted:

Welker and Gordon were popped under different rules.

Welker got hit with a first time performance enhancing drug suspension.

Gordon got hit with his 3rd substance abuse charge.

Completely different penalties and processes.

I think he is talking about the fact that once Welker went down talks emerged to "fix" the punishment system they use.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dexo posted:

Except for the part where they were talking to fix the rules before Welker went down.

I wasn't follow to closely so maybe but the story didn't really seem to break until a week or two ago.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chris Brown is signed for the new Monday night intro.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Dave posted:

That Rihanna article was posted 8 days ago, there's a giant date right there.

I don't think anyone is saying that this is a recent development.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ironlung posted:

nope apparently i'm in the minority of people who don't think the NFL should double as our court system

It is a good thing they aren't!

They also can't, without opening company towns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kalli posted:

I think he's responding to the stuff earlier about Ravens fans supporting Ray Rice and you shouldn't be shocked that some dumbasses will support anything no matter what.

Which is true, but hey, at least laugh at the fuckers.

But evolution is true so I don't think the fact it has supporters is shocking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mgreen42 posted:

Practically speaking, which team is going to poo poo on any reputation they have left to take a 28 year old back who hasn't played in a year?

By that point he wouldn't even have played well in two.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is a pretty reasonable post, hth.

PLT.......not so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

A long day of work that ends on Sunday morning???

Wendy's closes for neither man nor god.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

The fun part is that I bet pretty much any other team would've done the same

I don't think so, only because Ray isn't very good.

The relationship he has with the ownership is really baffling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Raku posted:

Yeah I've actually got a sliver of good will back for Ray Rice after reading that. The part where he broke into tears in front of kids and begged them to be better than him mostly. That combined with the family being together makes you kind of wonder at the people screaming that he should have gone to jail... let's tailor justice to suit the victims, guys.

Also holy gently caress Roger Gooddell is a transparent liar and a nincompoop

That is more on Ray Rice for not exactly doing much to come off contrite during the event.

I mean it is not like he stopped his wife from publicly taking the blame so my sympathy isn't exactly high for him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

On the other hand, no you are wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I Own Soulz posted:

As an extension of that that kind of thinking, anyone that breaks the law should get the death penalty. No one that does something wrong can ever be treated unfairly!

There's a reason we have laws on cruel and unusual punishment and why specific crimes have certain sentences.

None of which apply to this specific situation.

You can be unfairly treated, Ray doesn't seem to fit the situation though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well not really, I can't see a compelling argument for why it would be ridiculous.

Can you name anything specific for why it is? He benefited from a cover-up, it didn't pan out, it happens.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SlipUp posted:

Criminals are people too. The people advocating the "who cares" mentality only enable corrupt officials like Goodell.

Um no, why people continue to tether Ray's punishment to whatever happens with Goodell is just baffling.

It makes no loving sense.

Edit: Maybe people are under the opinion that Ray was coerced into the cover-up? Then it would make more sense but I don't see much evidence of that yet.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 21, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You're entitled to take your stand on this matter and any opinions you might have but I find it very odd that so many people have the Rice disaster as the final straw compared to the myriad evil things the NFL has done leading up to the current shitstorm.

To be fair a coverup is a big deal, its not like the AP thing where it is kind of weird to give up based no the actions of one player.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The New York Times has called Bisciotti out on that conference.

Wait I missed that end part.

Holy poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

LGD posted:

Nope. Goodell is a public figure so that case would be laughed out of court. The burden of proof would be entirely on him to prove Simmons made those statements knowing them to be untrue and with the express intent of causing Goodell harm by defamation. There is no chance whatsoever they would lose, but obviously the money they make through their relationship with the NFL dwarfs whatever value Simmons or a pretense of independence provide.

Yeah slander is basically impossible to prove in court, at least in the US.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What you all are missing is that was clearly a libel joke.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Ray Rice gonna tear it up for the newly reformed Alaska Wild

While Georgia continues to not give a gently caress about football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

The average relationship with domestic violence being like that isn't proof that every relationship is like that. She has repeatedly said that this was a one time thing, and it's god damned patronizing to throw someone into a situation where they literally can never redeem themselves in the very small minority of cases that don't fit in the norm. Let's not forget that the reason that Rice was initially handled with kid gloves was because he had such a strong reputation before this. People, myself included, could not believe that he'd be capable of this - that there must be some kind of extenuating circumstances.

He's been a public figure for over a decade going back to his days as a big HS football star in suburban NYC. If this was a pattern then accusations would be coming out of the woodwork like they did with Bill Cosby.

It is very unlikely this is just a one time thing.

Very, very unlikely.

This seems to follow the typical abuse pattern to a tee. Though yeah trying to force her to get help isn't actually helpful. It is something she has to do for herself, sad as that may be.

Also I don't know what reputation he had that is applicable here, but I wouldn't factor it into this very much, it isn't relevant to what he does behind closed doors.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 30, 2014

• Locked thread