Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It still really fucks with me that during the ESPN round table Ray Lewis was the voice of reson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bigass Moth posted:

They almost certainly coached him in what to say due to his history and being a Raven.

Yeah but they had another guy who said that it was unfair to punish him and they should wait until all the evidence was in and this was a guy with a pending domestic abuse charge so its not like ESPN was on "don't say terrible poo poo" alert

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Saying you are praying they can make it work is literally the most loving horrible response you can have to this jesus christ

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jim Harbaugh is now the more likable Harbuagh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hell the poster Jim Harbaugh is more likable right now

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

It's troubling that they aren't trying to get her help (whether she claims to want it or not) and instead are focusing on fixing the marriage god bless the bible bullshit.

Marriage is a sacred union between a man's fist and a woman's jaw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

armoredgorilla posted:

Non-Baltimore viewers, please note that Gerry Sandusky is NOT Jerry Sandusky.

And yet it would make sense if it was

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

seriously guys don't punch women god bless

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Both the Harbaughs are scum. Jim's letting Ray McDonald play, after letting Aldon Smith play two days after being so blackout drunk driving that he hit a tree and still had his foot on the pedal.

Man every time an NFL player comes out as terrible it makes me feel better about the lifelong traumatic brain injury thing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man I can deal with some people being thinking that is a real post but I expected better from you dude

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

football fuckerman posted:

yeah i know, but you still wish they could have the best possible life, which to me would include leaving, so it sucks to see that's not what happens sometimes

The biggest problem are all the people acting as if this is something that can be "fixed". One of the most common reasons women stay in abusive relationships is because they believe their husband is sick and be cured and that they just need someone who will love and stay with them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You are probably also missing the depressing fact that the NFL has a sizeable part of their fanbase that doesn't care about Ray Rice or even supports him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basically what I am saying is imagine every fan you've ever seen call a heavily concussed player a pussy and imagine how he probably treats the women in his life

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Why are we fighting amongst each other when we're amidst the last months of the Goodell Era

We should be celebrating

because I fear who might replace him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

JFF (Joe loving Flacco) pulls off his helmet, rips off his uniform to reveal a suit with a gummy bear bow tie, and takes his rightful throne

This would be cool tho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

haljordan posted:

I still fail to see how Donald Sterling getting $2 billion for the loving Clippers counts as a punishment.

When you're that rich money doesn't matter, prestige does

He's already a billionaire, but he is no longer and owner and is hated by literally everyone

Plus his wife is gonna get all that money anyways

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Bring in Condi Rice. Seriously. I'm 100% for it now. 110% if she's cool with touchdown dances.

I think we could all deal with the occasional spousal abuse if they could dunk on the goalpost again

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When I was a kid I thought NFL teams were owned by the city government and I still kinda think that should happen

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

All the money earned goes back into the city's infrastructure and so the fan base sees tangible benefits from their support?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

tbp posted:

The fan base could always start their own football league if they'd like.

So you don't have an actual opinion and just want to be a disagreeable prick ok cool

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

tbp posted:

If fans weren't okay with this I don't think they'd be attending games in such high numbers though

Holy poo poo look at this post

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

So what did Ray Rice actually tell the team then?

Apparently he was #completelyhonest and #remorseful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

haljordan posted:

Men come out ahead on the whole double standard thing so loving often you'd think "Don't ever put your hands on a woman for any reason" would be an acceptable compromise. But I guess not.

CM Punk had a great response to when someone said "What if the woman is hitting you?"

He was just like "I would leave"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

what did Suggs do that everyone hates him for?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Uh, beats up his wife and pours bleach on his kids?

hhaha seriously how did I miss this?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Anxiously awaiting Olbermann demanding that Roger Goodell light himself on fire today.

Its kinda funny seeing Olbermann going all W Bush on Goodell

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

Silver got rid of a racist owner once it had been a PR nightmare.

And what would you call this?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Maybe I am too optimistic but I really feel like, especially in our current social climate, the idea that this will "blow over" is a little too cynical for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You know in wacky comedies when they went to show there is chaos at a place and there is always a guy in a suit running around the in the background on fire?

That guy is at NFL headquarters today

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't have any guilt about watching football because I do not see football players as human beings hth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

If she wants to stay with Ray, then she should be able to stay with Ray without people jumping on her and insulting her. Maybe he'll do it again, and she'll regret it later, or maybe Ray realizes that he hosed up and lost control, and this was a one time thing. But please try not to insult the victim for trying to continue on and salvage/repair a damaged relationship.

You're right, insulting a victim of domestic violence is hosed up. But there is no "cure" for this kind of abuse, and there is no "maybe this was a one time thing."

She needs to get the gently caress out of that relationship and the idea that the whole thing can be "salvaged" is hosed up. Women need to leave abusive relationships and given the support and encouragement necessary to do so.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

The average relationship with domestic violence being like that isn't proof that every relationship is like that. She has repeatedly said that this was a one time thing, and it's god damned patronizing to throw someone into a situation where they literally can never redeem themselves in the very small minority of cases that don't fit in the norm.

Perhaps you missed the part where he closed fist punched his wife in the face, knocked her out against a wall, and dragged her unconscious body around.

People don't "just" do that sometimes. The very fact that it could happen at all is the problem itself.

Also, no, most human beings would not leave. Its the nature of abusive relationships, the abused partners sense of intimacy and loyalty to their partner means they often don't leave. Abusive relationships are very very complicated and it is absolutely not in our place to judge her for her decisions. But, this is not going to be a one-time thing. Abuse doesn't just happen. It will not get better.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

That just as easily fits the hypothesis that he was ridiculously drunk.

Oh gently caress off

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's a difference between saying "X might have caused Y" and "I approve of X." People who do insanely, unspeakably stupid things while drunk is a minority but unfortunately is not an unknown phenomenon.

You can keep digging that hole dude but it ain't gonna lead to China

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So basically the argument is that as long as I am sorry afterwards I get one official mulligan if I ever want to punch my girlfriend in the face

Good to know

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That Works posted:

No you see each successive poster in this thread has to be more outraged about the issue than the last.

heh look at these plebes who are upset about domestic violence and attempts to defend the abuser's behavior. Not me though. I am too cool and chill to get upset about things.

*puts on sunglasses, revs shitcycle*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alouicious posted:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahah
ahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahhaahahahahahaahahahahaaaaahahahahhhahahahahahahahahaha

this sums up my feelings nicely

Mister Fister posted:

It's almost like there's more nuance to some situations and statements like 'attempts to defend the abuser's behavior' makes you look dumb.

I mean, if we found out that Ray Rice is the Bill Cosby of abuse, then have at it, but at this stage, you're basically saying that Ray Rice cannot rehabilitate himself and he can't live in an abuse free relationship with his wife.

Tell you what.

Find a single trained domestic abuse professional that will go on record saying "Sometimes violence is a one time thing and you should stay with the guy while he tries to work through it" and I will shut up.

One, find one.

Go.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

Your feelings are dumb though.

Buddy not to flame war but you just unironically dropped SJW into a conversation so maybe we have reached a cognitive impasse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

A major factor in most of these men's motivation is their desire to save their relationship, says Barbara Gilin, a licensed clinical social worker and associate clinical professor for social work education at Widener University in Chester, Pa., who has worked with intimate-partner violence victims and their abusers for 35 years.

"The longer the women can hold out not living with the partner, the more motivated the partner is to change, she says. "They are so afraid they will lose their woman."

Still though, fair enough.

I am not trying to deny that Ray Rice can change. What bothers me is the idea that she should stay around and feel socially or religiously pressured to do so. Women die every year from that, and I worry about the message it sends when a woman in a high profile abuse case "stays with her man" when the consequences of it have been apparent in many different situations.

But hey I am an SJW hugbox or whatever.

• Locked thread