Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Last month the majority of the people in Scotland chose to reject independence and made this man

so sad he handed in his notice. This means the right honorable Nicola Sturgeon will soon be throwing her weight around Holyrood and trying desperately to keep the SNP from fracturing into a million splinter groups now they arent all united by the false carrot of Independence.
We also had some quite wonderful defections from the evil tories to the evil ukip. And another tory resigned after sending menacing pictures of his cock and balls. Please don't tell his wife.
I wonder what October has in store? How many more passports will dear Theresa take?

Previous UK Threads

September '14 thread - The baby that saved Britain
August '14 thread - Bojo's Brilliant Buran Bazaar
July '14 thread - Claim to fame as thread regular knows dogfucker from school
June '14 thread
May '14 thread
April '14 thread
March '14 thread
February '14 thread
January '14 thread

December '13 thread
November '13 thread
October '13 thread
September '13 thread
August '13 thread
July '13 thread
May/June '13 thread
April '13 thread Thatcher came to this thread to die.
Feb/March '13 thread Warning: :biotruths:
BOGOF Dec '12/ Jan '13 thread with such highlights as my terrible landlady stealing my underwear to make sure I returned the keys and Trickjaw's fight against the bastards of the Work Program.

2010? :iiam: -2012

Two for the price of one October and November '12 thread

September '12 thread.

August '12 thread.

July '12 thread (with links to previous threads and Iohannes definitive Minimum Alcohol Pricing post).

Ninpo's excellent effortpost on the poverty trap that exists for people working up to 16 hours (but no more) a week.

Other threads of interest for the citizens of the UK :britain:

Hackgate scandal thread - Something actually happened recently!

UK Marriage Equality thread

The Irn Bru Blood Transfusion thread

The EDL/UK Fascist watch thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Can you just shut up about how much you hate the nats? Like, we understand your opinions on it. You've been banging on about it for weeks at literally every opportunity and it always leads to the stupidest derails.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I figured you'd take the opportunity to delete the link to the ScotPol thread?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Who has been the least poo poo recent Home Secretary?

All I can remember are Theresa May (contempt of court over asylum claims, Miranda detention, ignoring ACMD advice, this recent attempt to gut scary speech), Jacqui Smith (42 day detention, ignoring scientific advice, "You cannot compare the harms of an illegal activity with a legal one."), and David Blunkett (ban everything, no rights for terrorists, machinegun rioting prisoners :godwinning:). There were a few in between that I can't remember anything particularly terrible about but I'm probably mistaken.

Carrying on from the other thread.

Did Jack Straw do anything truly horrid? I find I can't actually recall anything about him. Like my mind just refuses to register his presence.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Yes, we get it SomethingAwful forums poster serious gaylord, you can't stop lusting about Scotland collapsing alongside the rest of the UK. Move on.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

It's funny how some no voters tell us to "get over it" when discussing future related stuff involving independence and then unironicly bring the subject up again when no one is talking about it out of smugness.

Spooky Hyena posted:

Can you just shut up about how much you hate the nats? Like, we understand your opinions on it. You've been banging on about it for weeks at literally every opportunity and it always leads to the stupidest derails.

I disagree, it's time UKMT get a taste of what the Scotpol had to deal with in a constant basis. Plus, we are having the next independence referendum in the UKMT because gently caress it.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Crameltonian posted:

John Redwood wants to leave the EU though whereas the Tory leadership will be campaigning to stay in (they're not complete idiots and no way big business will let them do otherwise, Redwood's fantasies aside). This isn't a very well coordinated rigging campaign they've got going here.

Tory leadership might not get the choice on whether to campaign on staying in. They've been building up the grassroots anti-eu sentiment for so long now that if the referendum happened to choose to stay in they'd be making a move which would entirely fracture the everyday Tory membership from their metropolitan class. It'd be delivering defections and by-elections to UKIP on a silver platter.

My guess is that when a referendum happens the pro-EU Tories will make an attempt of neutrality while leaving the campaigning to Labour (lol how'd that work out last time) and business. They can't win if they choose either way.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 1, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm sorry for posting about the massive political event that happened last month and that one of the most stand out politicians of the recent age has resigned and the ramifications of the change in leadership of Scotlands biggest political party that will happen this month. All things that have, and will affect the UK.

It should all be swept under the rug and never mentioned again.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

I'm sorry for posting about the massive political event that happened last month and that one of the most stand out politicians of the recent age has resigned and the ramifications of the change in leadership of Scotlands biggest political party that will happen this month. All things that have, and will affect the UK.

It's all about the way you say a thing, mate :ssh:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

serious gaylord posted:

lol that's basically what a lot of people in London have done. Don't think I've heard it come up in conversation since the referendum failed.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

quote:

Don't think I've heard it come up in conversation since the referendum failed.

The referendum didn't "fail". It ran smoothly and with few serious hitches and the Scottish electorate was able to vote on the question posed to them. It was an entirely successful referendum.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kapparomeo posted:

The referendum didn't "fail". It ran smoothly and with few serious hitches and the Scottish electorate was able to vote on the question posed to them. It was an entirely successful referendum.

Highest turnout of any election I can recall being alive for and it didnt really get nasty until the last two weeks. A good advert for democracy and its why Spain are pissing their britches.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

straight up brolic posted:

lol that's basically what a lot of people in London have done. Don't think I've heard it come up in conversation since the referendum failed.

I've heard a lot of "Obviously they need a slap, but after that we have to get on with it. Can't hold it against them really,"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If I was a No voter I'd keep my head right loving down given the last few weeks since the referendum.

Gordon Brown asking for signatures to make Westminster keep it's promises, good Lord.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

kapparomeo posted:

was using fail as a synonym for reject

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

serious gaylord posted:

Oh sorry, you're right you worded it so neutrally in the OP

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

straight up brolic posted:

was using fail as a synonym for reject

Neither of these are appropriate for the referendum. It didn't fail because it ran successfully; it wasn't rejected because of the remarkably high turnout. Outside a bit of :tinfoil: Twittering about how votes were stacked in boxes, everyone agrees that democracy was done.

Why are you saying it failed?

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 1, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

serious gaylord posted:

Carrying on from the other thread.

Did Jack Straw do anything truly horrid? I find I can't actually recall anything about him. Like my mind just refuses to register his presence.

So much of a racist arsehole that his alma mater's SU disowned him.

Even now the board of past SU presidents is secured by glass to stop people scratching his name off.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

kapparomeo posted:

Neither of these are appropriate for the referendum. It didn't fail because it ran successfully; it wasn't rejected because of the remarkably high turnout.

the referendum was rejected. more people said no than yes. scotland is not an independent country, idk why this is hard.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

So much of a racist arsehole that his alma mater's SU disowned him.

Even now the board of past SU presidents is secured by glass to stop people scratching his name off.

I knew there was something. I had genuinely forgotten he even existed until I was going through the list of past home secretaries.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

kapparomeo posted:

Neither of these are appropriate for the referendum. It didn't fail because it ran successfully; it wasn't rejected because of the remarkably high turnout. Outside a bit of :tinfoil: Twittering about how votes were stacked in boxes, everyone agrees that democracy was done.

Actually the referendum did fail, in a big way, don't abuse semantics.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Thanks for the new thread.

I thought your posting in the Scottish political thread was hilarious :shobon:

I like that Miliband is increasing spending and taxation on assets, but christ I wish a charismatic politician was pitching it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CoolCab posted:

I thought your posting in the Scottish political thread was hilarious :shobon:

I like that Miliband is increasing spending and taxation on assets, but christ I wish a charismatic politician was pitching it.

To this day I cannot understand how they thought this Miliband was the best choice. Of course he had the backing of the unions but I still cannot comprehend it.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

No, seriously. It's a referendum, not "Give Yes Scotland The Nod".

I don't mean to come across as obtuse about this but I do think that it's important, it ties into a lot of the post-referendum resentment from entitled Yes groups that Scotland was "betrayed" by the electorate - the toxic, destructive attitude that the result wasn't just not the one they wanted, but the Incorrect, Illegitimate, Impermissible result.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 1, 2014

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

CoolCab posted:

The fact that he can't explain a property tax on the megarich in a convincing manner is unreal. He's the ultimate beta.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did they get together and decide that the public were sick of the obviously manufactured politicians of the Blair and Cameron ilk. That the public would respond more to a rather plain, boring man who droned on about things he obviously feels strongly about, but is unable to show any form of emotion?

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012

kapparomeo posted:

I don't mean to come across as obtuse about this but I do think that it's important, it ties into a lot of the post-referendum resentment from entitled Yes groups that they Scotland was "betrayed" by the electorate - denouncing all dissenters as traitors was for from being a No Thanks-only failing.
Are you serious? It's not remotely important. To say that an attempt to do something (be it via a vote or otherwise) failed is not at all an unusual term of the English language. The AV vote failed - do you think that wording is as such is a pro-AV conspiracy too?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

They really didn't have a lot of options, systematically forcing anyone too lefty out, meant that only massively tarnished Blairites and ugly boring Brownites were left.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

kapparomeo posted:

I don't mean to come across as obtuse about this but I do think that it's important, it ties into a lot of the post-referendum resentment from entitled Yes groups that they Scotland was "betrayed" by the electorate - denouncing all dissenters as traitors was for from being a No Thanks-only failing.
What you just typed made no sense, but a referendum is a a vote on a single political issue, in this case independence for scotland. The voters rejected independence for scotland, thus they rejected the content of the referendum. I condensed that to "referendum failed" in my initial post. the context around it should have made it clear that I was referring to the content of the referendum failing to pass, rather than "the referendum as a political concept failed. democracy has not been conducted in scotland"

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Labour don't seem to want to ditch their dated PR playbook. I don't know who they think they are still fooling with that poo poo. Look at how much better Brown came across in TV interviews and in speeches in the run up to the referendum when he was behaving more like his big grumpy shithouse self, instead of forcing weird smiles and talking like he had grown up on an island populated entirely by Scottish hypnotists as he did when he was PM.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

gorki posted:

Labour don't seem to want to ditch their dated PR playbook. I don't know who they think they are still fooling with that poo poo. Look at how much better Brown came across in TV interviews and in speeches in the run up to the referendum when he was behaving more like his big grumpy shithouse self, instead of forcing weird smiles and talking like he had grown up on an island populated entirely by Scottish hypnotists as he did when he was PM.

I was very impressed with Brown. He will forever be remembered as the prime minister no-one voted for, but he was a very good politician up to that point and showed it in the last few weeks of the referendum.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Thanks for clarifying that then, Straight Up Brolic. Sorry if I took you the wrong way, but the tenor a fair amount of comment after the referendum was more the latter than the former.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 1, 2014

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Hopefully a helpful mod changes the thread's tag, other than that great and informative OP, looking forward to some wonderful posts.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Miliband is leader because Blair forgot to design a way to train successors once they'd run out of New Labour-era old guard on the NEC.

the previous setup was far more fractitious and could exile the party from government, but it guaranteed that anyone who managed to climb to the top despite all that would be someone who could navigate a very hostile, entitled, and entrenched web of internal party reps. the reforms threw out a lot of this stuff and empowered a technocratic party forum to decide party direction, but that predictably generates technocrats with sensible but bland, unexciting ideas

in the early 1990s Miliband was a fresh graduate, so he's not a product of the older era. instead he's been generally either slotted into safe areas or appointed to the top.

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 1, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

Even so, that tax break is going to be much more valuable to those on lower incomes than higher incomes. Taxing money that you have to get by law just allows a flashy minimum wage rate that doesn't actually reflect reality (like Miliband's £8/hr rate which is actually lower than inflation-linked estimates). Something like 16% of the Living Wage is actually taxation. And even at the most pessimistic estimates, bringing back the 50p tax rate would easily pay for a tax threshold linked to NMW.
OK, yes, an increase in the personal allowance could be revenue-neutral if it were accompanied by increases in the taxation of people in higher income brackets but that's not what UKIP are proposing, is it? Farage's proposal is "cut taxes across the board and pay for it by leaving the EU + slashing foreign aid", not "reform the income tax system to make it more progressive". Second, Labour's plan is to increase the minimum wage from 54% of median earnings to 58% (which is expected to put it at £8/hr by 2020), not just raise it to £8/hr by 2020 no matter what. Here's a slightly more detailed explanation presented by Chuka Umunna's disembodied head. If there is strong general wage inflation between now and the end of the next Parliament as there was between 1999 and 2010 then their suggestion would put the 2020 minimum wage at well over £8/hr. However, nobody expects wage inflation over the next five years to be comparable to that seen in the late 90s and early-mid '00s so it's a bit meaningless to cite historical rates of NMW growth.

e: also, raising the personal allowance to £13,500 would save you £700/year if you were working 40 hrs/week on the current minmum wage. Assuming inflation doesn't exceed the 2% target over the next five years, raising the NMW to £8/hr would increase the same person's real disposable income by around £1300/year.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 1, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Plus, we are having the next independence referendum in the UKMT because gently caress it.

That's not going to happen. The SNP seem intent on pursuing UDI.

But rest assured, if there were to be another one any time soon I'd knock up an OP and we would continue where we left off.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

*in slightly politically incorrect asian voice* Erection chat: Who are people itt planning on voting for in the next election? I see a lot of talk of the tories being hosed and the lib dems being hosed and also labour being hosed from various people so I guess it would be interesting to know rather than who people think aren't going to get in, the people they are actually going to vote for.

Personally, i'll probably vote lib dem again, despite all their broken promises and poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'll vote labour as I always do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah I'll be voting Labour too.

I remember the suckers in the last general election thread voting lib dem who would not be told. Naivety abounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah I'll be voting Labour too.

I remember the suckers in the last general election thread voting lib dem who would not be told. Naivety abounds.

As much as they've been ineffectual at stopping the Tories for the last four years, I generally agree with Lib Dem policies more than the other two parties.

I don't really want to vote for a Labour party I don't like just in the hope of stopping Tories. And whichever of them gets in I'd rather it's in coalition than an outright majority.

• Locked thread