Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Last month the majority of the people in Scotland chose to reject independence and made this man

so sad he handed in his notice. This means the right honorable Nicola Sturgeon will soon be throwing her weight around Holyrood and trying desperately to keep the SNP from fracturing into a million splinter groups now they arent all united by the false carrot of Independence.
We also had some quite wonderful defections from the evil tories to the evil ukip. And another tory resigned after sending menacing pictures of his cock and balls. Please don't tell his wife.
I wonder what October has in store? How many more passports will dear Theresa take?

Previous UK Threads

September '14 thread - The baby that saved Britain
August '14 thread - Bojo's Brilliant Buran Bazaar
July '14 thread - Claim to fame as thread regular knows dogfucker from school
June '14 thread
May '14 thread
April '14 thread
March '14 thread
February '14 thread
January '14 thread

December '13 thread
November '13 thread
October '13 thread
September '13 thread
August '13 thread
July '13 thread
May/June '13 thread
April '13 thread Thatcher came to this thread to die.
Feb/March '13 thread Warning: :biotruths:
BOGOF Dec '12/ Jan '13 thread with such highlights as my terrible landlady stealing my underwear to make sure I returned the keys and Trickjaw's fight against the bastards of the Work Program.

2010? :iiam: -2012

Two for the price of one October and November '12 thread

September '12 thread.

August '12 thread.

July '12 thread (with links to previous threads and Iohannes definitive Minimum Alcohol Pricing post).

Ninpo's excellent effortpost on the poverty trap that exists for people working up to 16 hours (but no more) a week.

Other threads of interest for the citizens of the UK :britain:

Hackgate scandal thread - Something actually happened recently!

UK Marriage Equality thread

The Irn Bru Blood Transfusion thread

The EDL/UK Fascist watch thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Who has been the least poo poo recent Home Secretary?

All I can remember are Theresa May (contempt of court over asylum claims, Miranda detention, ignoring ACMD advice, this recent attempt to gut scary speech), Jacqui Smith (42 day detention, ignoring scientific advice, "You cannot compare the harms of an illegal activity with a legal one."), and David Blunkett (ban everything, no rights for terrorists, machinegun rioting prisoners :godwinning:). There were a few in between that I can't remember anything particularly terrible about but I'm probably mistaken.

Carrying on from the other thread.

Did Jack Straw do anything truly horrid? I find I can't actually recall anything about him. Like my mind just refuses to register his presence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm sorry for posting about the massive political event that happened last month and that one of the most stand out politicians of the recent age has resigned and the ramifications of the change in leadership of Scotlands biggest political party that will happen this month. All things that have, and will affect the UK.

It should all be swept under the rug and never mentioned again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kapparomeo posted:

The referendum didn't "fail". It ran smoothly and with few serious hitches and the Scottish electorate was able to vote on the question posed to them. It was an entirely successful referendum.

Highest turnout of any election I can recall being alive for and it didnt really get nasty until the last two weeks. A good advert for democracy and its why Spain are pissing their britches.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

So much of a racist arsehole that his alma mater's SU disowned him.

Even now the board of past SU presidents is secured by glass to stop people scratching his name off.

I knew there was something. I had genuinely forgotten he even existed until I was going through the list of past home secretaries.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CoolCab posted:

I thought your posting in the Scottish political thread was hilarious :shobon:

I like that Miliband is increasing spending and taxation on assets, but christ I wish a charismatic politician was pitching it.

To this day I cannot understand how they thought this Miliband was the best choice. Of course he had the backing of the unions but I still cannot comprehend it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did they get together and decide that the public were sick of the obviously manufactured politicians of the Blair and Cameron ilk. That the public would respond more to a rather plain, boring man who droned on about things he obviously feels strongly about, but is unable to show any form of emotion?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

gorki posted:

Labour don't seem to want to ditch their dated PR playbook. I don't know who they think they are still fooling with that poo poo. Look at how much better Brown came across in TV interviews and in speeches in the run up to the referendum when he was behaving more like his big grumpy shithouse self, instead of forcing weird smiles and talking like he had grown up on an island populated entirely by Scottish hypnotists as he did when he was PM.

I was very impressed with Brown. He will forever be remembered as the prime minister no-one voted for, but he was a very good politician up to that point and showed it in the last few weeks of the referendum.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'll vote labour as I always do.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bozza posted:

"By crudely drawing penis on your ballot, you are oppressing the working class! You are literally the worst!"
- a serious post itt

I think he was more saying that by drawing a cock and balls on your ballot, all you succeed in doing is heaping more poo poo on the working class person counting the ballots.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fluo posted:

Some homeless people wanting a little warmer to help them get to sleep in the street will have to muster together another 20-50p to get their special brew white lightning turbo snakebite drink from the corner shop or supermarket. The pros outweigh the cons majorly and there isn't a better alternative off the top of my head. So there isn't "literally no downside" but the downside is very minor and the positives are pretty great.

Does this also really only affect supermarket bought alcohol as pubs will generally meet this minimum price already?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bozza posted:

"Heaping more poo poo" how exactly? Are we seriously arguing that someone counting ballots is going to be shaken and upset by a badly drawn dong? Will this cause them to faint in the loving polling station because of the sense of outrage they will feel as the democratic process has been so flippantly insulted?

Jesus Christ, get a loving grip.

Not really, they'd most likely just roll their eyes and put it on the pile called 'Ballots ruined for e-cred'.

But still, its not like they deserve it really. They're there to count.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

The passport thing was lovely, but do you think that Cameron making a formal statement about the protests would have a positive effect?

I'm sure that the Chinese government would resent anything that sounded like the West telling them how to handle affairs, and any support for the protesters could be spun into "The protests are supported by old colonialists, not a genuine will of the people."

It's a very awkward position. No-one wants to bring the ire of the chinese government on them. I think a cautious distance will be observed by all of the parties over this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Alertrelic posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29461008

Some good news. The Scottish Government is going to block councils from chasing poll tax debt. It looked like people were going to punished for voting in the referendum.

So just why should people who have evaded council tax payments get away with it again?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Obliterati posted:

Well they're still only getting away with it the once, it's only the one tax they've evaded. Basically is it more important to chase up the remains of a fundamentally unjust tax that was rightly resisted or to not make people uncomfortable with registering to vote?

Also worth noting from a Unionist perspective that a policy of targeting people who statistically are more likely to have voted Yes with a Thatcher-era policy isn't going to help with the 'healing process' we're hearing so much about. SNP's doing you a favour really.

Its not just the decades old poll tax they're chasing though is it? They're using it to track down anyone that's dodged council tax payments at all. Obviously its a political no brainer to try and block this, but doesnt then that just open them up to people going 'I'm not going to pay my council tax since it seems its fine not to.'

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

The Poll Tax is a different thing to dodging Income, Corporate or Council tax though. It was a tax so unpopular it down a government and an obvious mistake to have ever existed.

Yes I am aware, but the proposition to block councils use of this to catch the poll tax dodgers will also block their use of the register to track down people that dodged out on council tax a few years ago. Thats what I disagree with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

Why will it do that? There's nothing there that says they won't be able to use it to catch people who've dodged Council Tax.

They're saying they will block anyone using this to try and catch 'historical' tax dodgers. Historical can be defined as anything exceeding 5 years in the courts. Obviously this is meant to mean the Poll tax, but you know how it will be taken.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spangly A posted:

The poll tax is unpopular because it's bullshit and council tax is now the poll tax again as of 2014 so is also bullshit.

If you aren't going to fairly assess property value then it's regressive as hell.

Have you got any links to the wonga story? My sister owes them a fair bit and we're currently having to hide it from My Chartered Accountant Father lest he goes on a rampage.

If you don't like the cuts to services maybe pay your council tax?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

non payment of poll tax is civil? not criminal

I believe once the court order you to pay it becomes a fine, and not paying a fine levied by the court is a criminal offence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

I'd link to the iplayer where you can see her having a fit at Salmond but it's not working for some reason.

It's Labour councils pushing the drat thing anyway.

Why is nothing ever working when you're asked to provide proof?

Genuine question.

Jedit posted:

You've not heard of the HMRC sweetheart deal where Vodafone were caught evading (IIRC) £4.6bn in taxes and were let off scot free so long as they paid (again IIRC) £1.2bn? If they'd been made to pay what they were due, the resulting benefit to the Exchequer would have replaced every council funding cut in the country.

Isnt this pretty common? They normally will accept a percentage of a vast tax sum as going to court for months to get the lot is expensive and time consuming.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vitamin P posted:

Are people itt seriously working off a premise that the license plate was a coincidence, because that is beyond ridiculous.

Pissed off veterans and angry young men in the street aren't mutually exclusive anyway, that's a deflection. If some rich right-wing fuckwit came down my street taking the piss out of how my grandpa died it wouldn't be him or my nan on the street telling them to gently caress off, it would be me acting for them, that wouldn't make me a mindless thug.

But the number plate never made it into Argentina. It was removed well in advance and only became a story after it had already kicked off and the tabloids blamed it as the reason.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is this all you do now?

But you see, it was the no voters that can't let it go.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spooky Hyena posted:

Gee, in a comparison between Shannon Matthew's family's portrayal in the media compared to Madeleine McCann's? That's a tough one.

They were both equally treated until it turned out she'd been pinched by her own family. She wasnt missing long enough for the papers to go all Madeline on them. If you remember at the time the papers didnt immeadiately go Saint Maddy either, there were quite a few that roasted their parenting until it turned out she wasnt turning up in their car boot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Obliterati posted:

Perhaps you should make a list of Correct views for me

Noted. I'll make sure its in the OP of the November thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shelf Adventure posted:

I've been out of the country for two years (Japan). Any advice job hunting? Preferably in the North-East and above £18,600. Qualified teacher, experienced teaching in UK and abroad.

I'm not really sure what I want to do, but going back into secondary schools in the UK doesn't thrill me and to be honest I think I'd have a hell of a time getting my foot in the door after being out of the country for two years.

Are you male and able to teach a proper subject like maths or the sciences? They're crying out for them at the moment.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Spanish and French, which, when applying two years ago got my zero interviews through the a year of applying. May be something to do with my applications, but I did have them looked over by the head teacher I was working for at the time. There was only about 8 jobs over the year with my language mix, though.

I figured "it's poo poo" was going to be the replies. I'm looking in some other areas of the country too, though really don't want to venture to London.

Congratulations, they will pay you to go back to Uni to do a the requirements to be able to teach maths and sciences.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

chippocrates posted:

There's an interesting graph showing mortality/infectivity of various infectious diseases here. It's both more infectious and more deadly than H1N1, H5N1 and SARS.

Its more infectious as in once exposed to it, your're far more likely to get infected. However its much harder to become exposed to Ebola than the various bird/swine flu's and SARS as its not airborne.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Wait, what? Details please!

They are so desperate to get teachers qualified in Maths/Sciences for secondary education that they will give you a grant to go and study this. As someone who has a PGCE already this will give you a leg up and you wont need much more training, just the grounding in the subject and the ability to teach it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crameltonian posted:

What the gently caress

e: Coohoolin can be obnoxious but some people here have a really unsettling obsession with his background/nationality.

e2: missed the 'rootless internationalist' dig ahaha holy poo poo

If he didn't bring it up all the time, people wouldnt mock it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

Oh god, gently caress it, I'm never bringing my background up again. Jesus christ.

Since you look for any excuse, however tenuous to bring up your background I highly doubt this will be the case.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Xenophobia is a terrible thing, believing someone can't understand or govern in your best interests if they're from somewhere else is a very damaging thing. Imagine how awful it is to think global problems can be solved by blaming everything on people who live just a few hundred miles away.

I see what you did there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

marktheando posted:

loving hell, attacks on Coohoolin have actually degenerated into full blown anti-semitism. Rootless cosmopolitans, really?

You know your side won guys? It's supposed to be the losing side that gets bitter.

Source your quotes please.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

KazigluBey posted:

gently caress off, the Scottish vote hasn't affected Tory margins in decades, the "1000 YEAR TORY REICH" meme is idiotic.

Well Scotland have only voted against the party that has gotten into power something like 6 times since the war. The North East of England have voted against the party that gained power 20 something.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I'm still waiting for you to back up your anti-Semitism accusations. That's a very strong word to throw around with no basis in fact.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Your quotes once again do nothing to back up your argument. Nothing in that quote is antisemetic, and in fact just reinforces the fact you often don't know what you're talking about.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I'm sorry, where did he use the phrase rootless cosmopolitan in his post? I can't quite see it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

I called me a rootless internationalist, which is an obvious reference. If you're going to be so disingenuous I don't really give a gently caress any more.

No it really isn't. Its a description of a child raised by expat parents who moves around a lot. However if you're so quick to take offence to people questioning your heritage, maybe stop bringing it up every other page?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glad the news that UKIP is becoming more popular has been met with "Lets all jump on the foreigner" chat.

Coohoolin isn't a foreigner though. As he so often points out he's chosen to be Scottish.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

The price of oil is bullying scotland.

I'm sure the secret reports about the trillions of litres that were hidden by the tory government will one day come to light.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Fauxrage brigade are out in force today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

So I missed the whole Coohoolin saga but if I get it right, because he's an immigrant to a country he isn't allowed to identify as a member of that country and his opinions matter less than the "real" scots?

Nah, he got accused of being a fascist so to disprove this point he posted a load of unrelated guff which started this massive derail.

• Locked thread