Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Everyone knows who Roy is. Even Detective Lance could figure it out.

I guess. Besides, it probably didn't matter in Ray's mind, since he figured he was going to take care of (i.e. kill) both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He needs to hold two guns.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You know, the best part about Ray's suit is that, despite being ultra-sophisticated, it apparently has a major, glaring design flaw in the form of an external and unprotected power... thingie... that, when hit with an object, instantly causes the entire suit to shut down. No backup components or redundancy or anything. So much for the guy being a genius! :v:

Then again, I guess that's the only way they could have had Ollie win that fight, since he was so hopelessly outmatched otherwise.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

overtone posted:

What was Diggle's ARGUS codename?

Black Driver.

quote:

And who took care of baby Sara while they were in Kasnia?

The babysitter.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I dunno, Bronze Tiger felt very D-list when he showed up on this show. He seemed to be simply a decent close combat fighter with non-permanent claws, i.e. a lame, non-metahuman version of Wolverine. I know that he has beaten the Batman in the comics but in Arrow he was very ordinary and not a very big threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2p3_OJDRw

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I had completely forgotten about that. I have no idea why though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Best scene of this episode was when the team were discussing what to do in the Arrow Cave and Oliver was whining about how Ra's was using "his city" against him and both Roy and Laurel were like "oh god here we go again :rolleyes:"

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 4, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Crixus was always kinda a dick

overtone posted:

He sounds like an ungrateful dick. Probably not the best way to get future roles.

ufarn posted:

The writing for the character was pretty awful, so good on him for putting and end to him, before it got more corny. He normally seems like a good sport, though, shame on him for being a poo poo about it.

I loooove how you guys are going apeshit about this. It's hilarious.

The guy should be able to speak his mind freely. Why does that make him a dick again? The character started out amazing but he's totally right that it went in the wrong direction and the writing got horrible. The way he kept talking to Shado's ghost was particularly cringe-worthy, and his appearance in Season 3 was a total joke.

I don't agree that it should have been an unstoppable character like in the comics, but still, I'm siding with Bennett on this one, and props to him that he's being vocal about it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what he said.

???

quote:

“I think Deathstroke had a lot of possibilities with Arrow but, I think they took it in the wrong direction,” Bennett told theMusic.com.au

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I always thought his fighting style should be based on throws and rapid disabling moves so he can quickly get another arrow nocked, like... bow kata. Making him default to fairly generic martial artist choreography like everyone else has always been a minor but persistent pet peeve of mine.

But at the very least, when most of the people you come across can deflect or grab arrows out of midair maybe break out the flashbang and bola arrows more often, Ollie.

Yeah, I agree. An archer should never choose to engage opponents in melee except as a last resort. I'd love to see him kite his opponents more by preparing the battlefield in advance with traps and distractions that slow down and disable opponents so he can shoot them with arrows.

Close-quarters combat isn't his strong suit, and despite the decent choreography, it's fairly generic and doesn't help distinguish the character.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 5, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Marco Polo was designed from the get-go as Netflix's attempt to capture a huge international market. The american numbers it pulls are totally besides the point. As is, apparently, quality.

I think it's a high quality show, it just has issues with a bit of the writing and some of the characters (including the main character).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

I'm not sure how much bang for buck Netflix got out of it, when it seemed to be on the radar for the general public for about 10-14 days. HBO on the other hand gets to milk GoT for three months. Daredevil is going to have a similar problem. As good as it may be, it's going to be out of mind by next weekend (and for a genre that really benefits from audience reaction, and social media hype, its going to miss a lot of that). I don't get why Netflix don't move new shows to a weekly release schedule. Their Marvel properties alone would get them nearly year round coverage of new releases and word of mouth promotion.

They got enough bang for their buck from Marco Polo to renew it for a second season. If they market it better and fix some of the writing, it has the potential to be a very very good show. Not as good as GoT perhaps (naturally) but enough to pave the way for more exclusives in the same genre.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rirse posted:

Finally caught up with this and Flash and I honestly love Flash a lot more, even through I still like Arrow a lot. That said, I thinking it might be time for Captain Lance to die since it feeling like his character is just trending water at this point. And with Sara dead, there just not a whole lot with him to do except yell at Laurel and yell at Arrow while ignoring that whole 'has a medical condition' from earlier in the season.

Yeah, I hate that they are ignoring that, since it was supposed to be a major character development arc. It's really confusing to see him running around and even fighting since he isn't supposed to be able to do that without getting hospitalized basically.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bleh, I was hoping both Roy and Thea would actually die so that they could bring in some fresh new talent. gently caress the Lazarus Pits.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished the episode.

Did I just watch young Ollie and crew chase and assault a military vehicle using a sedan, absorb a ton of bullets from semi-automatic assault rifles, and win?

God drat, this show is so hard to take seriously.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Laurel has been a lot more tolerable than Felicity this season. Huh, she doesn't have a romance plot, imagine that.

Ehhhhh that's arguable, but yes, not having a romance subplot has definitely improved the character.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wereboat posted:

I can;t decide if i'm going to be really excited or incredibly disappointed when Laurel finally beats someone up one on one.

I think it's some sort of running joke at this point.

On the other hand, she did use her new scream device and managed to startle and slightly annoy both Nyssa and Ollie!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I don't think they're going to kill Nyssa, though.

If they do, that would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

It's just really dumb that theres this immortal guy shaping the course of humanity, destroying cities, etc and theres a prophecy that once day he will be replaced. A freakin prophecy. Or you know, whenever he feels like just handing over the reigns. Really the prophecy should have read "The man who doesn’t perish at the blade of Ra’s al Ghul will become the new Ra’s al Ghul, or like some random guys you find. Or your kid maybe. Somebody, anybody."

Where did you get the idea that Ra's is immortal? He's a few hundred years old at best, and only because of his pool of vitamin water.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Well I thought about it a little more and really I can't fault them that much. They wanted to do a story where the good guy goes bad and his friends have to stop him, but they also didn't want to make it so the hero was REALLY a homicidal rear end in a top hat because theyd always have that stigma.

Except Arrow already has that stigma.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
Joseph Stalin

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Accretionist posted:

From ~15 pages ago but...

I think there's ways it could work. If pit-resurrection stripped away some of a person's emotional character and left them a little more sociopathic, it would have good character/story implications, and if the League were still high powered, it wouldn't be accessible.

Something like that would've given a killed-and-resurrected Ollie a struggle to not backslide, would have done a lot toward explaining the League's nature and made Ollie more amenable to joining them later on.

Yeah, when Thea leaped out of the pit like a deranged maniac, it got my hopes up that the pit had turned her into a monster of some sort. Turns out it was simply good ol' resurrection hangover and she just had to sleep it off.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I do think the final fight between Ollie and Ras was shot poorly. Their first fight, by contrast was filmed and choreographed amazingly and I love that Matt Nable looked so effortless in taking Ollie down. The final fight you didn't see much. I would of liked it to be more like that 3 minute short they did.

edit: but I still liked this season.

The first stab Ollie delivers is incredibly fake and you can actually see his sword to Ras's side. Like, they didn't even bother concealing it in post-production.

I also like that Ollie ate three high-powered sniper rounds to the chest and survived because "League armor." And yet throughout the season we saw Diggle drop League henchmen left and right with a simple handgun.

Anyway, I'm probably out next season. There's just so many good comic shows right now, and even more coming out in the Fall. I might binge through it next summer to kill time.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 17, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drat you Amell. :stare:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He had to return the sniper-resistant League armor he was borrowing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's a TV show. They have to show off his lack of biceps.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Warmachine posted:

If anything, I've got faith that the writers know this, precisely because of how active they are at sounding out what the fans are thinking.

Probably a bit too active. See: Olicity.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Major mistakes of this season:

- The flashbacks were incredibly dull and pointless.
- Felicity went from an awesome character to a whiny little drama queen. In fact the whole Olicity thing was a huge clusterfuck and should never have been done.
- Merlyn kept playing a huge role and it kept getting less and less believable. The team's whole "merlyn, we know you're a horrible, horrible person and a liar and mass-murderer but we're going to work with you... again" is just so incredibly stupid at this point.
- The league started out extremely menacing, with a single league henchman able to pose a significant threat. By the end of the season they were just fodder, and impossible to take seriously.
- Lazarus Pit not driving Thea insane permanently. She just slept it off.
- Ray hosed over Felicity by having her sign a paper that turned out to be a colossally important document (transfer of ownership)? Wow.

The only redeeming thing is that Laurel's character seemed to be on an upward trajectory. She went from completely insufferable to average. Gonna be interesting how they keep her relevant next season since it'll be in Coast City and she's in Starling.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

how is this him loving her over? she's been a VP for the past while.

Actually, never mind. I went back to the second to last episode and rewatched that scene. He actually transferred ownership of the company to Felicity without her knowing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

That isn't a stab, he puts the blade there and then pulls, slashing the poo poo out of him.

i lol'd

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I wish The Flash would go back in time and stop Felicity from happening.

You mean Olicity. Felicity was an awesome character before Oliver professed his love for her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Before anyone starts, the Supergirl pilot leaked and it will not be discussed in this thread at all. If you wish to discuss it with spoiler tags then go the CBS Upfronts thread.

Oh poo poo! Link?

j/k

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

It's not that Oliver is Batman that's bad, it's that he's the lovely navel gazing parts of Batman. The show is a lot better when Oliver isn't agonizing about his convictions and fretting about everything and everyone. Fight more crime, shoot more trick arrows, out wit your opponents. Be a loving costumed vigilante.

I think I've said this before: the dude is an archer, but relies way too much on hand-to-hand combat. I think this is because the producers think choreography is what makes people watch the show.

He should focus on kiting, tricking and disabling opponents using a large variety of arrows instead of shooting one or two and willingly close in on them. Web arrows that hamper the target's movement. Oil arrows that make the floor slippery. EMP arrows that disable electronics. Sleep arrows that knock people out.

Basically he should be doing more of this:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

nelson posted:

"You should remember one thing: I don't need the bow." -Oliver Queen

"I have made a terrible mistake." -Oliver Queen

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

Slade was bad enough with his faux-aus accent

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think they just need to avoid making the mid-season finale the climax of the season. Because poo poo was all downhill from there last season.

• Locked thread