Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

Who said it had to be networked? You'd need to physical access then, which compromises books all the same.

Point being that Team Grimm needs an IT guy. I wonder how Wu is with computers?

Probably not that great and he'd get pissy about being sterotyped. The only one who's really used computers among the group is Juliette. She managed to locate Nick's mother from her email and found the truck online that Kelly later used to leave with Adalind's baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

johntfs posted:

Probably not that great and he'd get pissy about being sterotyped. The only one who's really used computers among the group is Juliette. She managed to locate Nick's mother from her email and found the truck online that Kelly later used to leave with Adalind's baby.

I don't know, he did joke about it early on in the series:

Nick: Can you see who he texted?

Wu: Of course I can, I'm Asian.

Plus don't forget he's kind of a nerd so that might extend to being good with computers too.

Anyhow I'm glad I missed this episode if it means Trubel got put on a bus. Did we at least find out whether or not Juliette's pregnant?

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 6, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
EDIT: Beaten.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just like the Kallikantzaroi in the boot of Nick's car.

He basically punched out a choir boy

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

spookygonk posted:

Just like the Kallikantzaroi in the boot of Nick's car.

He basically punched out a choir boy

Choir boys are evil. Everyone knows that. The little bastard deserved it. Juliette continues to impress me with her tactical combat sense. "They're coming in! Find something to hit them with!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Once Juliette left her fortifications (a kitchen) she lost. I have to say, when she has a frying pan she is the most :black101: character on the show.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Trubel better only be gone for tops three episodes or gently caress this show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And they really need to straighten things out with Wu.

Seriously, what the gently caress?

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I like how Wu deadpanned the sketch of the Kallikantzaroi. It's gotta be real soon that Nick tells him or he confronts Nick.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Writing out Trubel is such bullshit. She was a great addition to the cast and she worked well with all the main characters.

I'll keep watching, but if she's not back this season, that might be it for me.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

johntfs posted:

Digital databases/libraries aren't necessarily fully secure and there's probably quite a few secrets in the Grimm journals that need to stay secret. Magic aside, it's pretty goddam difficult to "hack" paper.

I'd be less concerned about hacking and more concerned about the trailer being stolen or destroyed. Nick's priceless and irreplaceable library cataloging generations of Grimm lore is occupying plot #49 at Camp Bumfuck. Meanwhile, an ancient conspiratorial royal family would love to find it for magic keys.

You can't really burn down or destroy redundantly-stored data. And Nick could streamline research by not having to hang out in a musty 50's trailer an hour away.

The real risk is unleashing a demon on the internet like that one Buffy episode. And making the show less mystical when Nick isn't finding an extremely concise answer in an Ancient Tome illuminated by candlelight.

(Hitler = werewolf. Rudyard Kipling = monster hunter. These are lessons better learned from yellowed paper and film reels, and not an iPad Air.)

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

I'd be less concerned about hacking and more concerned about the trailer being stolen or destroyed. Nick's priceless and irreplaceable library cataloging generations of Grimm lore is occupying plot #49 at Camp Bumfuck. Meanwhile, an ancient conspiratorial royal family would love to find it for magic keys.

You can't really burn down or destroy redundantly-stored data. And Nick could streamline research by not having to hang out in a musty 50's trailer an hour away.

The real risk is unleashing a demon on the internet like that one Buffy episode. And making the show less mystical when Nick isn't finding an extremely concise answer in an Ancient Tome illuminated by candlelight.

(Hitler = werewolf. Rudyard Kipling = monster hunter. These are lessons better learned from yellowed paper and film reels, and not an iPad Air.)

The real risk is not unleashing a demon on the internet. It's revealing/confirming the existence of Wesen to the outside world and triggering a holocaust/war of extinction between humanity and Wesen. It's a little ironic given the current storyline but I recall that one of Monroe's lines in Season 1 was something to the effect of "I just don't want somebody burning a cross on my lawn."

In the meantime going to the trailer is as much a part of Grimm's setting as the Buffy gang studying books in the school library. It's very likely that someone will steal or fireboomb the trailer eventually, probably as part of a Fall or Season finale that will be resolved when we learn that Juliette had secretly been going to the trailer to scan and organize it all into a searchable database and managed to save "a lot of it." As for stuff that wasn't saved, presumably Nick will have to seek out other Grimm and trade favors or information with them to make up the lack.

One thing I liked about this episode was that it continued the trend of indicating that a goodly portion of Grimm were real assholes, as indicating by the one Grimm's happiness that he could leave the Wesenrein to their brutal purge and take a vacation. I'm really looking forward to the point where the show finally pulls the trigger on the idea of some Grimms who are vicious, Wesen-killing fanatics like in the "good old days." Maybe the guy in the robe and mask is one of them. It's unlikely, but it'd be cool to see.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There was some really weird dialogue this episode, it just felt very clunky at times. I will miss Trubel, hopefully she comes back later on after Josh has been eaten by some nasty Wesen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Trubel will be back. They've spent way too much time developing her, giving her her own subplots, and using her to introduce ongoing conflicts.

This is probably a combination of budget (adding another regular is expensive), and character (she was introduced as a loner, and a traveller, so it makes sense that the writers might want to explore that side of her character again).

Plus, putting her on the road means that she can meet up with several of the other characters who are floating around. Sticking her in the Adalind plot would be fantatic, for instance.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Strabo4 posted:

I like how Wu deadpanned the sketch of the Kallikantzaroi. It's gotta be real soon that Nick tells him or he confronts Nick.

When they arrived on the scene after the first attack he said something like "You guys specialize in weird (cases)" so he is aware and just needs one little push to get him to the point of calling them out.

I think it would be amazing if he was brought into the team, digitized the books and developed a Wesen ID app - and it was also available to fans of the show.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Binary Logic posted:

I think it would be amazing if he was brought into the team, digitized the books and developed a Wesen ID app - and it was also available to fans of the show.
Would be nice, considering the amount of work that goes into making those dusty old Grimm history books (they are made up, aren't they?).

edit Am I the only one that doesn't trust Josh? He's just too needy & eager and keep whining about losing his car.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 7, 2014

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Let's hope they're only putting Trubel out until whatever contract they have with the Adalind lady runs out and they can shift those resources over to Trubel.

Still, gently caress you show.

edit: Josh seemed very weird when coming out of the shower. Suddenly super happy and even eager to become a Grimm? After hitting one guy with a rock? Suspicious. We've been shown at least 3 ways of shape-shifting during this show and now they're giving away the location of the trailer to some newbie?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Biomute posted:

edit: Josh seemed very weird when coming out of the shower. Suddenly super happy and even eager to become a Grimm? After hitting one guy with a rock? Suspicious. We've been shown at least 3 ways of shape-shifting during this show and now they're giving away the location of the trailer to some newbie?

Yeah, there was something really weird going on with him. Last week, he was terrified of even holding a machete. This week, he insists on going with Trubel to do recon, hits the guy with the rock and then the scene you're talking about.

Ohgod, don't kill Trubel you rear end in a top hat writers.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I figured he made some sort of deal with the people chasing him that he'd find the key and then they'd leave him alone. I agree he was acting weird, especially wanting to see the trailer.

I highly doubt Trubel is gone for good. I can see them sending her away for a time to "mature" off screen so she's a more independent Grimm when she comes back and doesn't need to rely on Nick as much. They've spent too much time developing her and the audience loves her for her to be gone for good.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Let's hope they're only putting Trubel out until whatever contract they have with the Adalind lady runs out and they can shift those resources over to Trubel.

Still, gently caress you show.

It's not that weird. You ever faced something you dreaded and found that it wasn't nearly as bad in reality as you'd built it up in your mind? You know that combination of glee and relief when that happened? That what he was feeling except more so.

Josh isn't like Trubel or Nick. He's not even like Hank or Juliette. Wesen are a known quantity to them. Juliette's best friend is Rosalee, a Fuchsbau. That isn't true for Josh. He was driven from home and life by creatures out of nightmare, made to feel hunted and powerless begging for protection from Nick. Then he went with Theresa, even (maybe) saved her life by hitting that guy. Josh proved to himself in unambiguous terms that he did not have to be a victim, that he could fight back, that his pursuers weren't invulnerable monsters, but being that he could fight back again. That's an incredibly empowering feeling to have. To actually be a Grimm? To feel that feeling all the time (or so he thinks) that would be awesome.

AS for Josh being a plant or double-agent, that doesn't fit what happened. If the Hundjagers had caught him and extracted the location of the key from him (which would effectively be "Nick Burkhardt has it Portland. Beyond that, no clue.") they'd have just killed. Or, if he was a double agent, he'd have stayed to try to find the key, not left with Theresa.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Binary Logic posted:

gently caress yes.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Biomute posted:

I assumed he had just gotten laid :a2m:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Well, in Trubel news, and I'll put this in spoilers to be safe:

###LOL I CAN'T QUOTE IN A SPOILER###
The Grimm Writers @GrimmWriters · Dec 9

Okay, gang, gather around and take a knee, we need to have a state of the union about the show and some misconceptions...

This week we air ep 408, but in the office we're writing 416, filming 413, prepping 414, and putting the final touches on 415

I bring this up because the #AskingForTrubel thing led to a lot of confusion. Jaq is not fired. She is not gone forever. She will come back

But we wanted her to know that we, and the fans, loved her character, and to show NBC there's a lot left mine in terms of her journey.

NBC gets that, and has already talked to the guys about when she'll show up again with the biggest impact/a story worthy of her comeback.

But, again, we're literally 8 eps ahead of what you're watching, so we can't just insert her back into the plot if we hit a magic number

Because the magic number does not exist. The whole thing was a combination of "we'll miss you! Come back soon," and making some noise.
###LOL I CAN'T QUOTE IN A SPOILER###

So, that seems pretty conclusive. Between the holiday brake and being 8 episodes ahead and still talking about when she 'will' come back, we're minimum three months away from a great character showing back up on TV. No travel vignettes a la Adalind, no nothin'. She's gone until probably the finale. Seriously debating just throwing up my hands and giving up on the show, since the decision was apparently made by the showrunners to double down on the lovely plots and toss out the one thing that was humming like a well tuned machine.

So... what other similar shows are out there to scratch the Grimm itch?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

GODDAMMIT.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't know if I really want to read what's under that tag or not. It's clearly not good news. EDIT: I caved. It's not the best news, but it's also not something horrifying.

4x08 – “Chupacabra” - FALL FINALE
When Nick and Hank hunt for the legendary Chupacabra, Wu comes face-to-face with the Wesen, and suffers another breakdown.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 12, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
PreviewChat: Oh, god damnit. Read him in already, assholes!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's not the best news, but it's also not something horrifying.

You're absolutely right, but it's immensely disappointing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It isn't that surprising, though. I think she'll be back next season for the Key Plot to continue as she's connected (NON ROMANTICALLY) to Josh. She might show up for the finale though!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hope they don't try to franchise her off by giving her a happy middle-class existence in Phillie(?) with John. I'm still hoping the writer's'll develop Portland as a shadow city-state run by Renard and his human and Grimm lieutenants. :(

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

I hope they don't try to franchise her off by giving her a happy middle-class existence in Phillie(?) with John. I'm still hoping the writer's'll develop Portland as a shadow city-state run by Renard and his human and Grimm lieutenants. :(

For my part I want them to explain that Juliette's effectiveness in combat is due to her being raised in an apocalypse cult led by her psychotic Grimm father and brothers (who simply called Wesen "demons" without explaining what they were to Juliette). We'll get to learn that Juliette is low grade special forces in her training and we might get to see crazy hillbilly Grimms rampaging through Portland butchering every Wesen they see.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It's just due to her having taken self defense and having a concealed carry permit. :shrug:

Oh, and being sensible and not hysterical.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Accretionist posted:

I've been taliking about the Casablanca/Lisbon vibe since the first season :colbert:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

hollylolly posted:

It's just due to her having taken self defense and having a concealed carry permit. :shrug:
Oh, and being sensible and not hysterical.
Yeah, she hasn't really leveled-up to "Badass" so much as simply "Competent."
And in a surprisingly realistic way, that was enough to make all the difference.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

Trubel will be back. They've spent way too much time developing her, giving her her own subplots, and using her to introduce ongoing conflicts.

This is probably a combination of budget (adding another regular is expensive), and character (she was introduced as a loner, and a traveller, so it makes sense that the writers might want to explore that side of her character again).

Plus, putting her on the road means that she can meet up with several of the other characters who are floating around. Sticking her in the Adalind plot would be fantatic, for instance.

I half think she might not even be gone for more than an episode; I mean look at Adalind for an example of that. She's spent like two seasons not interacting with anybody ninety percent of the time.

Of course, unlike Adalind, I don't wish Trubel would just die already. Adalind is such a special kind of stupid that it hurts my brain. She's incapable of making a good decision, and watching her in the illusion maze repeatedly fall for every trick over and over was like watching the world's dumbest rat trying to find cheese that doesn't even exist in it's maze. "Gee this room full of illusions that I was told not to stop in.. is that a baby crying? My baby was totally in this mindfuck dungeon the whole time! This makes perfect sense!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've been taliking about the Casablanca/Lisbon vibe since the first season :colbert:

Thanks! I probably got the idea from you, then. It's really good.

I wonder how we could get it to the writers...

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Robot Hobo posted:

Yeah, she hasn't really leveled-up to "Badass" so much as simply "Competent."
And in a surprisingly realistic way, that was enough to make all the difference.

In the world of TV, Competent is more Badass than most Badasses. I still want crazy hillbilly Grimms, though.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And I still think you are correct. At least, I hope that's what Reynard is going for. I'm gonna be sad if he is actually considering world domination.

Edit: hey jackass working with Wu, he said call for backup.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 13, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
How dare they cut to a commercial !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I don't remember the cut in half guy.

I didn't see anyway that guy wouldn't have some kind of repercussion, even if it wasn't his fault that he was killing people.

Wu :(

And oh no! Wesen racists and newly born hexenbiest! Godamn cliffhanger.

• Locked thread