Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

brutaru posted:

That poo poo convinced me AJ has to stop that using that move ASAP. Seriously. Has there been one move performed by one wrestler that's seriously injured more people? At least in a major promotion. I'm sure there's some indie rear end in a top hat who's botching the Burning Hammer every other night.

Speaking of which, just got done watching Liger/Sasuke at the Super J Cup, and yeah I think that's the best botch of all time in terms of adding to the match. I hear people say "Oh yeah it would've been 5 stars except for that ending" but I think that the executed finish may be my favorite of all time.

That ending is a really happy mistake. Yeah, it's a blown spot, and I really don't like how Liger reacts to it, but it makes Sasuke look amazing that he managed to pull a win out after it.

Plus it's the ending of possibly the best Jr match ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The HW and Jr divisions do have a fairly solid future, it's the tag division that could really use work. There's very few young, credible tag teams in the company right now.

Like, I love Kojima, but TenCozy shouldn't still be a linchpin of a division in 2015.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yeah I don't disagree with this at all. There is a problem now where it's almost like the American scene where if anyone gets truly credible in the jrn's they're pushed up to the heavyweight scene. Also while I've liked the matches, I don't think the annual feed the Jrn champ to the IWGP champ main event does anything for anybody, except reinforce that the heavyweights are more important.

They could have made Ibushi the New Liger. Hell, he's young-ish, they still could. It'd be amazing, if he became the new Jr Ace.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

gfanikf posted:

Is that the Tourney that crippled Rick Rude pretty much?

Also in terms of new pushes is Goto too old or part of an older wave?

Goto is the same age as Shibata. He's been due a good push for a while, but he's really been victim to being the right guy at the wrong time a few times. When they look like they're gonna push him, suddenly there's a better guy to push.

Shame, because Goto is consistently great, and his finisher, the Shouten Kai, is one of the best in New Japan.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 4, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Are there any key matches that people should watch before WK8? Not that NJPW is as storyline driven, but it might help for newer people to have time to watch some of the matches leading up to the biggest event of the year.

If they have a lot of time to kill, every Okada/Tanahashi match since New Beginning 2012 has been building to this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Actual title. It was introduced in '81, but WWE didn't actually use it themselves until '97.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

This year's G1 final, Nakamura vs Okada, starts out pretty slow, but the ending sprint is something everyone needs to see.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Thauros posted:

Anyone have recommendations for Nakamura as a heel early in CHAOS? He was already getting pretty tweenery by the time I started watching heavy.

He and Yano formed CHAOS in April '09, and they were straight-up 100% heels at that point, so anything in mid-late 2009 is Heelamura.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

E: nm

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I imagine having a guy who's apparently legendary for his mic skills being his mouthpiece doesn't hurt either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

You are trying to fit things into your own narrative if you still feel this way after stuff like Tanahashi faking a knee injury.

Or Tanahashi two-footed JUMPING on Okada's arm.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Getting Marufuji is actually pretty impressive, since he's the current GHC champ.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

i can't believe that they don't have this up. it was fuckin' gedomania in korakuen that night.

Any time Gedo gets a singles match recently is magic. He's still got the gift of maximum reaction for minimum effort.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's like how people always scoff at Inoki/Ali with "Well, all Inoki done was scoot around trying to kick Ali".

Of course he loving did, if he was standing up HE WOULD HAVE BEEN PUNCHED BY MUHAMMAD ALI. The fight would have lasted all of 10 seconds if he didn't.

If you put me in a shoot fight with the greatest boxer of all time, and tell me not only do I need to survive, but I need to string it out a bit so it's not disappointing, I'm gonna scoot like a dog with worms too.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 28, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The streaming was amazing. I had it on HQ the whole time, without any technical issues at all. Not even any buffering.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Okada's doing the Monomyth.

Call to Adventure was losing the title to AJ. Threshold was the G1. His abyss was losing to Tanahashi and Fale.

Gotta get to atonement next.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor Goggles posted:

Seeing Ishii come out to that Immigrant Song remix was amazing. I don't know a lot about Bruiser Brody, but it really helped sell Ishii as a total badass.

Makabe comes out to Immigrant Song, not Ishii :ssh:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tanahashi/Okada from Invasion Attack 2013 is still the greatest wrestling match I've ever seen. I've watched a LOT of wrestling, but that match is still just a work of art.

I see the occasional person on twitter etc saying that Tanahashi is more responsible for their matches being good than Okada, but it's absolutely 50/50.

I implore any new NJPW fans to seek that match out. Because that is what you get when you catch lightning in a bottle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Tanahashi/Bernard from July '06 Tana's first title win! is a really fun match that very much has a HBK vs monster vibe if you're into that sort of thing.

God, I miss Bernard. Bad Intentions were SO good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Ishii, I love you more than anybody else, so I say this with all due respect: please take a few months off and get surgery on that shoulder. PLEASE.

Tomohiro Ishii vs His Own Left Shoulder is the best feud in NJPW.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

You can still celebrate without looking like the 25 minute, brutal match you just went through had literally no effect on you whatsoever. Just moving slightly slower, favoring one arm/leg/whatever during your poses, etc. There's ways to do both.

See: one of my favourite small things Okada has done, where during the WK7 match with Tanahashi, he done the Rainmaker pose one-armed, because Tanahashi had been targetting his arm to avoid the Rainmaker.

Okada's psychology in that match was amazing, and it was all basically just "My right arm is busted up". He couldn't lock in the Red Ink because he couldn't grip, he couldn't pose, and he generally just let it hang at his side until going for broke right at the end.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 9, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I know I'm probably gonna be lynched for this, but Nakamura was kinda underwhelming. Like, it seemed like his heart wasn't in it, just kinda going through the motions.

And dammit, Blue Justice deserves more than that :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Honma is the single greatest jobber on earth. Regardless of how few singles matches he's won in so long, I still buy every single match that this MIGHT BE THE ONE.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Even if there is no God or Buddha...there is Honma.

He died so Ishii may live.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'm looking for the shows, links preferably, where Nakamura turned heel and formed CHAOS, April 2009 show according to Wikipedia. Also would like to see Tanahashi's return against Nakanishi in 2003 from getting plugged. Cheers for the help lads. 

I can't find any links, but the show where Toru Yano turned on Makabe and Honma and helped Nakamura to win, and formed CHAOS, was NJPW Resolution 2009.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Thauros posted:

I'd love to see the results of a survey conducted among non NJPW fans who were shown this match and asked to guess which one of these six guys recently ran a marathon.

I'm surprised YTR was up to working. He posted a pic on twitter of the massive blisters on his soles.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

YTR cheated to beat him and he was pointing out the foul to the ref. What do you expect him to do, just walk out not caring that he got hosed because the guy who cheated is funny?

He didn't cheat, though. YTR just rolled him up and pinned him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As much as I love YTR, I can't wait to see Tanahashi just BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF HIM :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Naito or Ibushi are the only possible winners now where the booking wouldn't be totally pointless.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

YTR has the best facial expressions in the business

It's the smile. Every time he smiles, he looks slightly confused too.

(e): Oh and once Tanaka and Komatsu get gimmicks, they're both gonna be something special.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 15, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

The guy who uploaded or streamed the AXS shows on Daily Motion has been killed, or has his account deleted. Who's my hook up now?

Between this and Yottsume, I'm convinced NJPW has hitmen.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

(e): Wrong thread.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 5, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Thauros posted:

Suzuki-gun show's up.

Production seems p good with a decent little intro package and there's custom Suzuki-gun turnbuckle pads and a ring apron. I wonder to what extent NJPW's behnd this?

I imagine they're the vast majority of the money behind it, since this is basically an excuse to have a cross-promoted NJPW/NOAH show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the 91 final between Chono and Mutoh is rad as hell.

Don't think I've saw the 92 match, but it's Rick Rude vs Chono, and it's not that famous match where they tried to have the worst match possible.

• Locked thread