Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You know how video game journalism is basically a vapid wasteland of paid shills, clickbait, and meandering, self-indulgent editorials? I imagine that RPG journalism would, if anything, make video game journalism look like hard-hitting reporting by comparison. "Storygames: Threat or Menace?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

I miss 4e. :( Is there any game that does 4e but better? I sometimes long for that kind of tactical combat.
I don't think anyone is even making an attempt at a 4e retroclone.

quote:

On a completely different note, is it just me or is board game/RPG journalism just nonexistent? Like, I was going to do a writeup of top games of 2014, then realized I've only played one (One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which, to be fair, is pretty awesome) and I think a large part of that is just I don't hear about anything new coming out, except for companies like FFG that are too huge to ignore. I just want to know about cool games coming out in 2015 without having to scroll through a list on BGG or check several different permutations of sites, podcasts, and Kickstarter pages.
There are a few sites like GamerXP that do good RPG coverage, but I agree that there's very little reporting of games that are coming out. It'd be nice if someone would at least put together a site that did that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I dunno, does Strike! count?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kai Tave posted:

You know how video game journalism is basically a vapid wasteland of paid shills, clickbait, and meandering, self-indulgent editorials? I imagine that RPG journalism would, if anything, make video game journalism look like hard-hitting reporting by comparison. "Storygames: Threat or Menace?"

Yeah, it's all blogs, everyone has a blog.

There are approx. 3 rpg blogs for every 1 person who actually plays rpgs. Which is admittedly better than youtube vloggers because at least a blog doesn't subject me to a pasty neckbeard mumbling and wheezing into his headset mic about dissociated storygames on a miss and please check out my five other blogs about elfgames.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, it's all blogs, everyone has a blog.

Basically this. The state of "RPG journalism" is blogs and websites. There are roughly two broad categories of RPG players, people who know about D&D through cultural osmosis and for whom the hobby is D&D, full stop, and then anybody nerdy enough to go "but what else besides D&D is out there?" The first category don't give the slightest poo poo about reading up on the hot new elfgame releases while the second category is generally comprised of precisely the sort of person willing to go online and start charting a trail through forums and blogs and G+ hangouts to find stuff.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Error 404 posted:

at least a blog doesn't subject me to a pasty neckbeard mumbling and wheezing into his headset mic about dissociated storygames on a miss

I can't even count how many burns this is. It's like operator overloading.

As to RPG journalists...

I have found a few, if you want to call them that. I follow somebody on G+ named Chris Helton (of the Dorkland! blog) who started writing RPG articles/journalism type stuff for Bleeding Cool last year I think it was. His writing seems pretty fair and I haven't noticed a major political slant that bothers me one way or another in his articles. On Dorkland! he has done stuff like interviews with Kickstarter creators and things like that.

There's a number of podcasts out there which may cover journalism to some degree. A lot of them will have their themed episodes but they'll do audio interviews with designers or KS project creators or figures of note in some other way. I don't listen to them often so I can't recommend any in particular but I know they're out there. A lot of it seems to be hobbyist stuff from what I've seen, basically people just talking about games, so it may not quite fit the rubric, however.

Another way to get to know more about new or other games you might not know about is actual play videos on YouTube. I've seen posts of 13th Age and Fate games in particular, but there's plenty. ItmeJP and his RollPlay group post a lot of stuff (they make some money getting people to pay subscriptions for instant access while other folks have to wait for YoutTube access). They've done Dark Heresy, Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, various forms of D&D, Numenera, and so forth between their various Actual Play programs. Swan Song, the Stars Without Number game being run by Adam Koebel (of Dungeon World) is probably the most popular program right now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gasperkun posted:

I follow somebody on G+ named Chris Helton (of the Dorkland! blog) who started writing RPG articles/journalism type stuff for Bleeding Cool last year I think it was. His writing seems pretty fair and I haven't noticed a major political slant that bothers me one way or another in his articles. On Dorkland! he has done stuff like interviews with Kickstarter creators and things like that.

Dude's not too bad so long as you can refrain from posting anything that can be described using the letters S and J and W, in that particular order, anywhere he can see it.

But it's not like that's an uncommon thing among elfgamers so...

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Dude's not too bad so long as you can refrain from posting anything that can be described using the letters S and J and W, in that particular order, anywhere he can see it.

But it's not like that's an uncommon thing among elfgamers so...

I suppose that's accurate. I've seen some of his own posts in that vein but I haven't noticed it in his articles, however.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Gasperkun posted:

I suppose that's accurate. I've seen some of his own posts in that vein but I haven't noticed it in his articles, however.

"Dude's okay so long as you don't disturb his elitist white boy's club" may be the faintest praise ever issued.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Reene posted:

There's not really much in the way of sex stuff unless you go out of your way to put it there in which case you need to play with less creepy people.

My character was a cool/lolita vampire that went on binge eating sprees when stressed, another player was a pure/pure kleptomaniac catgirl with a rivalry with my character, and the other was a sexy/pure albino. The story was set on a space station mansion located on the moon and our master was an 8 year old boy heir to Scientology that loved aliens. The game was all about us trying to plan for his birthday party in a week and try to win the most favor by the end of the game, which ended up with a lot of crazy poo poo happening including the catgirl nearly driving the space station into an interstellar minefield, a failed attempt at poisoning an alien mutating it so it nearly ate the space mansion, and my character repeatedly attempting to feed everybody blood to turn them into vampires. The game ended with the albino player winning by writing a sequel to Battlefield Earth for the kid's birthday just before my character successfully turned the master into a vampire thrall.

You have to be willing to be silly and run with whatever traits you get because nearly all of your character's traits are rolled for rather than chosen but if you don't mind doing that then it's great for one-shots.
Pretty much this. Maid is "Random Stuff We Rolled on Tables: The RPG." (Hence I made Schoolgirl RPG and Retail Magic out of it for different subject matter with the same basic rules.) Most people slip into anime silliness without any trouble, and the people who'd make it pervy (who I have run into at cons) are the sort who'd do that with any other RPG you put in front of them.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Funnily enough both myself and the GM don't particularly like anime, but if you're into nerd poo poo you probably know enough of the tropes to make it funny when playing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spincut posted:

I miss 4e. :( Is there any game that does 4e but better? I sometimes long for that kind of tactical combat.

4th Trifold is a very close approximation of 4E while getting rid of some of the worst aspects.

D&D Greatest Hits distills it down even further. It's like the OSR and 4E had a lovechild.

Finally, Strike! is more of a spiritual successor/creative reinterpretation that still scratches that tactical battle itch.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

TurninTrix posted:

Hello, what's the cool new DnD-like out there? I'm getting a little weary of Dungeon World.

Not sure if this meets all the criteria, but it's A Thing (from earlier in this thread)

P.d0t posted:

Short version: I wrote up a fairly lite, d20-ish game.
Recruit thread is here, rules text is here.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Error 404 posted:

I don't actually like anime, like...at all.
It's me, I'm the grognard.

But you still like martials getting nice things, right? If so, we're still cool.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 15, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Libertad! posted:

But you still like martials getting nice things, right? If so, we're still cool.

Totally. Bruce Lee is king of muscle wizatds, I'm just not down with big eyes and spiky hair

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

There are a few sites like GamerXP that do good RPG coverage, but I agree that there's very little reporting of games that are coming out. It'd be nice if someone would at least put together a site that did that.

Yeah, the trouble you run into is that there's so little coverage available that the only real way to do real, regular coverage of new releases would be to build a list of primary source contacts with (largely disinterested) RPG companies from scratch.

This kind of thing takes a team larger than mine, which is generally going to cost money, and, well, there really isn't any to be had.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Spincut posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

While it's not a 4e retroclone anymore, Strike started out as one. And it definitely does the tactical combat thing. And it's totally 4e-but-better.

And I'll be starting the Kickstarter for it this month, barring a catastrophe. I've got most of a website done and there are just a couple of things left on my to-do list. Just need to keep finding days like today when I can work on it and it'll be up in no time.

Edit for some art (I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this here yet):

This is the cover page Ferrinus drew for me. Draculas fighting Cthulus! Ferrinus draws cool stuff.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 15, 2015

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Spincut posted:

On a completely different note, is it just me or is board game/RPG journalism just nonexistent? Like, I was going to do a writeup of top games of 2014, then realized I've only played one (One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which, to be fair, is pretty awesome) and I think a large part of that is just I don't hear about anything new coming out, except for companies like FFG that are too huge to ignore. I just want to know about cool games coming out in 2015 without having to scroll through a list on BGG or check several different permutations of sites, podcasts, and Kickstarter pages.

It kind of feels like a chicken/egg scenario, really, because without proper journalism, it feels like the board game and RPG industries won't get enough exposure to grow, but on the other hand, the industries aren't big enough to support journalists. There is no Intel or nVidia to sell advertising to prop up sites to hire journalists to report on this stuff. And I'm not sure what's to be done about that, unless people volunteer their time and energy, but there is only so much that can be done with that before people (rightfully) want to be compensated for said time and energy.

If you're looking for basically just a place to hear about board games as they come out and how good they are, a friend of mine does a podcast/video reviews that's largely about this. I'm even in a few of the more recent video reviews -- http://www.pushurluckpodcast.com/

RPGs seem a little tougher. I follow a few blogs, but honestly most of my exposure to new games are hearing people mention them here.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D Greatest Hits distills it down even further. It's like the OSR and 4E had a lovechild.

I like this a lot. Who made it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I like this a lot. Who made it?

Somethingawful user eth0.n Between him and P.d0t, what is it with usernames with dots and zeroes that makes you good at reductive RPG design?

I saw it from the February 2013 TG design thread. Hell of a find, actually - I was just skimming the first hundred pages or so of Imp Zone's D&D Next thread and a mention was buried in there.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So I was talking with my buddy the other day and the subject of what an Appendix N for people just starting fantasy gaming today would look like. We got annoyed with all the crusty old dudes who's answer to that question is just "lol anime because 4e is anime" I'm out of touch and my elfbook literary tastes run more towards the likes of Jack Vance and Patricia McKillip, so beyond the obvious answers of Song of Ice and Fire, China Mieville's work, Dresden Files and Name of the Wind we drew a bit of a blank. I also suggested things like comics such as the Sandman and Elfquest, but I'm not sure if that's just my old man 70s fantasy nerd tastes speaking. What would be on this list? It should be things that, like the original Appendix N are older or extremely influential so while I personally am inspired by Rat Queens and Skullkickers, they're way too new.

Also there's nothing wrong with anime, I just mentioned it because it's often evoked so dismissively by morons yelling at kids to get off their lawns. Any list of influential fantasy worth it's salt should absolutely have some on it but again I'm out of touch there too. I don't think Galaxy Express 999 is particularly resonant with young gamers today.

Spincut posted:

I would kill for Comics Alliance, but for RPGs.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 15, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think Galaxy Express 999 is particularly resonant with young gamers today.

This is evidence we do not live in the best of all possible worlds.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lightning Lord posted:

So I was talking with my buddy the other day and the subject of what an Appendix N for people just starting fantasy gaming today would look like. We got annoyed with all the crusty old dudes who's answer to that question is just "lol anime because 4e is anime" I'm out of touch and my elfbook literary tastes run more towards the likes of Jack Vance and Patricia McKillip, so beyond the obvious answers of Song of Ice and Fire, China Mieville's work, Dresden Files and Name of the Wind we drew a bit of a blank. I also suggested things like comics such as the Sandman and Elfquest, but I'm not sure if that's just my old man 70s fantasy nerd tastes speaking. What would be on this list? It should be things that, like the original Appendix N are older or extremely influential so while I personally am inspired by Rat Queens and Skullkickers, they're way too new.

Also there's nothing wrong with anime, I just mentioned it because it's often evoked so dismissively by morons yelling at kids to get off their lawns. Any list of influential fantasy worth it's salt should absolutely have some on it but again I'm out of touch there too. I don't think Galaxy Express 999 is particularly resonant with young gamers today.

D&D has always had a huge part of its inspiration coming from early-mid 20th century pulp fantasy, so I think the old classics like Conan the Barbarian, Elric of Melnibone, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and so forth still hold a lot of relevance. That should probably also include L Sprague de Camp and maybe Edgar Rice Burroughs. More recent works... Wheel of Time should probably be on there (although it's a pretty onerous recommendation given the sheer size of it), as it's still in large part a heroic epic despite the faffiness it gets up to after a while. The Gentlemen Bastards series (The Lies of Locke Lamora, etc.) by Scott Lynch is pretty good, too. I'm not sure where your cutoff for "too new" is, but if Name of the Wind belongs on the list then Lies of Locke Lamora should too. R. Scott Bakker is another big name, but I haven't read any of his stuff so I can't tell you if it's any good.

Since you mentioned fantasy anime, Berserk, Bastard!! and Fullmetal Alchemist should be good bets, although the first two are a bit dated by now. Attack on Titan is more technological, but possibly fantasy enough and certainly modern and popular, so if you want something more accessible, there's that. I guess Fate/Zero might fit that mold, too?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Read Rat Queens. You don't need anything else.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Lord Frisk posted:

Read Rat Queens. You don't need anything else.

Rat Queens is my personal Appendix N. Okay, that and Adventure Time.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If you're looking for what is inspiring the D&D designers these days, I think you need to look at videogames in addition to novels. Properties like Diablo, Warcraft, and Fallout have had such a huge influence on the culture of fantasy that they would have to go in a new Appendix N.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lightning Lord posted:

So I was talking with my buddy the other day and the subject of what an Appendix N for people just starting fantasy gaming today would look like.
Honestly, I would just chuck the entire concept into the garbage. I think that most forms of fiction benefit from a wide berth of ideas and just to limit it to a single genre stifles creativity.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Appendix N was never that useful other than as a reference for the fantasy Gygax & Co. liked, it's not like D&D properly represents the grand majority of the fantasy it references.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jimbozig posted:

If you're looking for what is inspiring the D&D designers these days, I think you need to look at videogames in addition to novels. Properties like Diablo, Warcraft, and Fallout have had such a huge influence on the culture of fantasy that they would have to go in a new Appendix N.
But god forbid you actually make any allusion, comparison, or parallel regarding D&D having mechanics reminiscent of a video game. That's more of a sacred cow than magic missile auto-hitting.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Appendix N was never that useful other than as a reference for the fantasy Gygax & Co. liked, it's not like D&D properly represents the grand majority of the fantasy it references.
I just double checked the passage and it is definitely supposed to be a source of inspiration which in defense to Gygax & Co. doesn't mean flat out imitate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
By now I would consider "D&D Fantasy" as a subgenre unto itself. Appendix N would be an explanation of the tropes and conventions that the game has created because of its touchstone role.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I agree, but it's useful as a touchstone for what was on their minds. A modern Appendix N would be an answer to the question "So what are those kids thinking about when they sling dice?" that goes beyond the dumb stereotypes that jerks have.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

D&D has always had a huge part of its inspiration coming from early-mid 20th century pulp fantasy, so I think the old classics like Conan the Barbarian, Elric of Melnibone, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and so forth still hold a lot of relevance.
*snip*
Since you mentioned fantasy anime, Berserk, Bastard!! and Fullmetal Alchemist should be good bets, although the first two are a bit dated by now.

Edward Elric of Melniboné, the half-elf Transmuter/Barbarian?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I was gifted a copy of the FFG Star Wars Edge of the Empire beginners game by a friend as a late holiday present and wow. Its really cool. I ignored it for some time because I heard it used the same dice mechanic as WHFRP3 and I remember way back when people complaining about the "gimmicky dice".

Turns out the dice mechanic is really awesome. Teach me to listen to random naysayers. :v: Its a bit crunchier than I prefer but still rather appealing.

Probably gonna buy the core book now.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I was gifted a copy of the FFG Star Wars Edge of the Empire beginners game by a friend as a late holiday present and wow. Its really cool. I ignored it for some time because I heard it used the same dice mechanic as WHFRP3 and I remember way back when people complaining about the "gimmicky dice".

Turns out the dice mechanic is really awesome. Teach me to listen to random naysayers. :v: Its a bit crunchier than I prefer but still rather appealing.

Probably gonna buy the core book now.

When D&D players complain about something being gimmicky, that's usually code for "fun for everyone else."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Somethingawful user eth0.n Between him and P.d0t, what is it with usernames with dots and zeroes that makes you good at reductive RPG design?

You're far too kind :shobon:

Anywho, my last initial is P. and I tended to append that to my first name when signing off on poo poo at my old job, so my co-workers started calling me "P.d0t" (their spelling)
It's basically my rap-name :snoop:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lynx Winters posted:

When D&D players complain about something being gimmicky, that's usually code for "fun for everyone else."

Actually it was players of FFG's WH40k RPG who I was hearing the comments from. Then again, the 40K RPG is basically Space D&D in some regards, so its not surprising I guess!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think Galaxy Express 999 is particularly resonant with young gamers today.
I just found out about this a couple of weeks ago, and it is the first anime I have wanted to watch since like 1997. Glad to hear it is apparently as awesome as it sounds.

Lightning Lord posted:

I enjoyed the Tor read-through of everything in Appendix N, particularly when they discovered a good half of the influences are either irredeemably vile or eye-rollingly dull by modern standards...though it is equally interesting that some of the lesser-known stuff apparently resonates so well still now.

Oh, and so because of that, I think this is an incredibly interesting goal. Though they HAVE a new equivalent of Appendix N, right? I only know about this because my favorite Jon Peterson's "Playing at the World" is recommended reading in whichever of the 5th Edition books has the list.

I actually think the Chronicles of Narnia makes about as much sense as anything by Tolkien in terms of establishing Dungeons & Dragons-y things. I remember watching the newest film version of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in the theater and thinking "man, how long have I been waiting to actually see the full panoply of Dungeons & Dragons monsters make an appearance in a fantasy film instead of a tiny subsection deemed 'realistic?'"

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
When are we going to see pedigree monsters like the Flumph in big-budget Hollywood movies, or those bees with monkey faces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Quarex posted:

I just found out about this a couple of weeks ago, and it is the first anime I have wanted to watch since like 1997. Glad to hear it is apparently as awesome as it sounds.

Oh look, another chance to say that Leiji Matsumoto is The Best and you should watch at least 90% of his work. Thank you and god bless.

• Locked thread