Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That dude lived in a lovely part of Texas, and somehow never learned that big cities exist and are massively multicultural in Texas, as well as other places in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

nucleicmaxid posted:

That dude lived in a lovely part of Texas, and somehow never learned that big cities exist and are massively multicultural in Texas, as well as other places in the world.

And he settled for Oregon.

Crying adult tears right now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LonsomeSon posted:

Well friend, it turns out that living with Texans can be very unpleasant for a thoughtful individual, especially if that individual is any combination of

Not white
Not male
Not straight
Not christian
Not middle class or better

Bonus points if, when people ask of them questions the answers for which they don't want to hear, such an individual replies in a forthright and honest manner, instead of joining the gushing semen geyser from the generic-Texan circlejerk.

Serious chat, I absolutely loved and jerked it to Texas and being a Texan--probably harder than any Texas apologist on these forums. But then...I traveled! Turns out there places in the world, other than Texas, that a lot of things in Texas are utterly hosed (by first world standards obviously), and that in the last decade and a half or so poo poo has gotten more hosed.

Words can't express how I felt when it finally hit me all at once that I was really doing it, really leaving! And when we actually passed over the border into New Mexico, never to return as anything other than (very reluctant) visitors?! A feeling of just...peace. Sublime, serene, and shocking for its unexpectedness, it's still with me now. Before that day, I would wake up and every morning would be great by default because I was no longer in Iraq.

Now, I wake up in Oregon and the mornings are sweet no matter how gray and rainy, because when I step outside it won't be into a maelstrom of hatred, bigotry, and aggressive ignorance. It's all there, I'm sure, if you go looking for it (still a human society after all), but it's not fashionable or even acceptable to trumpet that poo poo.

Okay that's my piece, trash me or whatever and then get back to fracking or hoarding ammo or whatever it is Texans do nowadays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAYcdLZB0_s

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
This is our house and our house music, I am the creator.

Cowboy.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Well friend, im gay

Lol I'm a gay jewish poor person and I love living in Texas. I saw you say "no longer in Iraq" and thought maybe you'd actually seen some poo poo of the world we live in but then I realized you're probably just a lovely unemployed liberal arts major.

Texas has gotten way better in the past decade and a half too. The only maelstrom of hate and bigotry I see in this thread is from nontexans like you.

I miss Texas Friendtalk. I think the title of this thread feels more open and inviting to shitheads and nontexans than the old thread did.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

I buy weed from a guy who has "west texas" tattooed on his head.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Mattress Mac posted:

Mattress Mack wants to do his part to boost our local economy by giving away Free Furniture to customers if the price of West Texas Intermediate Crude tops $85 per barrel at year's end. That's right, if you purchase $7,000 or more of furniture or mattresses from Gallery Furniture, Mack will give you back 100% of your purchase amount if oil prices go up!

https://www.galleryfurniture.com/

Well Texas Goons Mattress Mac is at it again, only this time betting on oil. It seems like it could be a safe bet on Macs part, with West Texas crude sitting at $50.05/barrel currently, and with the oil industry, more than likely, continuing this downwards trend well into 2015. I think Mac has this one in the bag.

e: http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=crude-oil-west-texas-intermediate

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It's cold I'm cold help

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Wanted to go downtown Austin last Friday but lovely weather conditions on the wet roads :smith:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

An ex girlfriend of mine lives in Texas. Plano TX to be precise. When I went to visit her I got refused service at one bar because they couldn't understand my accent. (I'm Australian).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Mattress Mac is so depressing these days. He always used to seem like he was having constant speedballs on the side. "KING SIZED MAHOGANY 999 GALLERY FURNITURE SAVES! YOU! MONEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!! :D"

and now its like all the life has been sucked out of him and its all "gallery..... furniture...... saves...... you..... money. :smith:"

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Man, I love these threads. They're really informative. I'm not being sarcastic, I really love'm and hate when I see america.jpg or russia.jpg go down in flames for no reason whatsoever (well, people derailing and stuff but you know). Keep'em coming. I wanna see a california.jpg too.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

BrigadierSensible posted:

An ex girlfriend of mine lives in Texas. Plano TX to be precise. When I went to visit her I got refused service at one bar because they couldn't understand my accent. (I'm Australian).

Plano is the Scottsdale of Texas.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lol if you think modernity exists and that bigotry will be wiped out. Most people struggle just to survive day to day in Texas. That's what makes it cool (the struggle).

Also I'm a middle class white male I'm doing good.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.rodeohouston.com/Concerts.aspx

Houston Rodeo lineup announced. Pretty drat good this year. Rodeo season is always good times

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Plano is most definitely not representative of Texas.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Drove from Houston to Georgetown on Saturday, lots of 33 and rain once I got past about Giddings but somehow no ice.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

SaltLick posted:

http://www.rodeohouston.com/Concerts.aspx

Houston Rodeo lineup announced. Pretty drat good this year. Rodeo season is always good times

I'm reel buttmad about the HLSR. My parents have worked it every year since before I was born as volunteers. Pretty much every day of every weekend while it was on I was out there with all the other volunteers and their families. And that poo poo was cosy as gently caress. The event was already huge as gently caress and had hundreds if not thousands of volunteers helping out, but the management and year-round office staff were confined to a couple dozen people, all of which the volunteers knew by name. Decisions were handled by the board of directors, most of whom were the rich big donor/spender guys you'd expect to be in that kind of position in Houston, but they were also volunteers and there was a feeling of everyone coming together to make this giant rear end event be a boon to the community.

In the late nineties that all started changing. More and more of the money the rodeo made was funnelled away from the scholarships and charities as the office staff ballooned into hundreds of workers. Those workers then, rightfully fearing for their job safety, took a lot of the power out of the hands of volunteers and began using them as mere cogs in a money making machine. The most notable difference between the old Astro Hall and the new building isn't the nicer amenities and more centralized layout. It's a sprawling complex of rodeo offices all panelled richly with wood walls, fancy rear end carpet, and artwork. This sounds petty but in person the lavishness is quite stunning, particularly if you know what the old joint looked like. Which was a small and old if sturdy and well-maintained set of offices in the side of the Astro Hall facing the dome.

These days, rationally speaking the event is probably better than ever. Bigger and more efficient, at least. The facilities are much nicer than the old ones, there's a lot of bighuge name sponsors and vendors, and the relative deficit in scholarship and charity money from the cuts has been offset by much greater gross incomes. But the price for that has been expensive as gently caress tickets, which the old rodeo never wanted to happen since it prices community families out of the events, a higher level of corporatization, less of a spirit of community activism, and so forth. It's more machine now than a living, breathing organization of and for people. The giant rear end money scoops are still working, the lights are still on, and it's business as usual, but it seems like most of the soul has been bled out of it.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
That guy earlier passed into new mexico and felt a positive emotion? I find that hard to believe, have you seen new mexico? It's like fallout: new vegas

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Texas? Never heard of such a place. Can't imagine there's anything worth seeing or doing there, nope.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mange Mite posted:

texas seems like a pretty cool place, just to judge from the types of people who you see loudly declare their hatred for it

If you really want to anger a Texan, don't just lazily bash Texas. Just pretend you've never heard of it and their existential dread will kick in once they realize they've staked their whole identity on inhabiting a massive state with absolutely nothing interesting in it.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i lived in texas for the first 8 years of my life before moving to europe for a decade then bouncing around the US. texas is cool and fun to visit, so are other places why are people so angry oh wait internet

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ArgoATX posted:

you'd take a dick for a slice of the amazing down-home brisket i'm eating as we speak, so i'm not too sure about the value of your rear end in a top hat and mouth at this point

I've had better brisket in NC than I've ever had in TX, and that's not something the state even cares about. Basically it's not rocket science making good brisket.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Whole Internet posted:

I've had better brisket in NC than I've ever had in TX, and that's not something the state even cares about. Basically it's not rocket science making good brisket.

lol this guy likes vinegar beef.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Well friend, it turns out that living with Texans can be very unpleasant for a thoughtful individual, especially if that individual is any combination of

Not white
Not male
Not straight
Not christian

Bonus points if, when people ask of them questions the answers for which they don't want to hear, such an individual replies in a forthright and honest manner, instead of joining the gushing semen geyser from the generic-Texan circlejerk.

Serious chat, I absolutely loved and jerked it to Texas and being a Texan--probably harder than any Texas apologist on these forums. But then...I traveled! Turns out there places in the world, other than Texas, that a lot of things in Texas are utterly hosed (by first world standards obviously), and that in the last decade and a half or so poo poo has gotten more hosed.

Words can't express how I felt when it finally hit me all at once that I was really doing it, really leaving! And when we actually passed over the border into New Mexico, never to return as anything other than (very reluctant) visitors?! A feeling of just...peace. Sublime, serene, and shocking for its unexpectedness, it's still with me now. Before that day, I would wake up and every morning would be great by default because I was no longer in Iraq.

Now, I wake up in Oregon and the mornings are sweet no matter how gray and rainy, because when I step outside it won't be into a maelstrom of hatred, bigotry, and aggressive ignorance. It's all there, I'm sure, if you go looking for it (still a human society after all), but it's not fashionable or even acceptable to trumpet that poo poo.

Okay that's my piece, trash me or whatever and then get back to fracking or hoarding ammo or whatever it is Texans do nowadays.

Fag

At Waterloo
Dec 16, 2007

Oh baby darling you will see, your blood belongs to him a soulless feast.
cheer up, fellow East Texans, instead of cold and rainy it's gonna be warm and rainy this week :confuoot:

this weather is balls and I'm not sure if the job market makes up for it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

blugu64 posted:

Plano is most definitely not representative of Texas.

sounds like he went to the 75 side of plano vs the dnt side

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

At Waterloo posted:

cheer up, fellow East Texans, instead of cold and rainy it's gonna be warm and rainy this week :confuoot:

this weather is balls and I'm not sure if the job market makes up for it

You promise? It's still 44* in Houston and I'm cold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LonsomeSon posted:

Not white
Not male
Not straight
Not christian

I guess it's hard to be a trans gaytheist in Texas.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Chicos Tacos in El Paso is the BEST food anywhere!!!

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
If I go to the coast, can I see any piers?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

heck yeah that's why I will never live anywhere other than Austin

This. This right here. Boyfriend and I went to Dallas to visit some friends. By the time I hit Waco I said "I don't want to be in Texas anymore. I want to be back in Austin." Yeah, I forgot about all the fire and brimstone billboards along the highway. And the churches. Jesus H Christ. So. Many. Churches.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

topenga posted:

This. This right here. Boyfriend and I went to Dallas to visit some friends. By the time I hit Waco I said "I don't want to be in Texas anymore. I want to be back in Austin." Yeah, I forgot about all the fire and brimstone billboards along the highway. And the churches. Jesus H Christ. So. Many. Churches.

none of the austin lovers will survive long... i heard a rumor they couldn't get gay married fast enough so a lot of them are taking boats back to their home states... fine by me... god bless

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The prickly pear Shiner is bar none my favorite.

Also Gnarly can we have a rule against anti texas poo poo posters here? Being a thick skinned Texan who brushed off their bullshit is fine for me but i feel like desecrating this great state in a thread for it should not be allowed.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
what do they make prickly pear shiner out of? It's so refreshing

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

hemophilia posted:

Also Gnarly can we have a rule against anti texas poo poo posters here? Being a thick skinned Texan who brushed off their bullshit is fine for me but i feel like desecrating this great state in a thread for it should not be allowed.

I'd also request we ban anyone in any Colorado or New Mexico thread that disputes the validity of our claims on them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

The prickly pear Shiner is bar none my favorite.

I like the holiday one with the spiced peaches

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sexy young infidel posted:

what do they make prickly pear shiner out of? It's so refreshing

It involves prickly pear for real, which is why its a bitch to find. I only ever find them in the sampler 12 cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Texas friends: name the worst places in the country to live. I'll start.

Florida.

• Locked thread