Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Personally, im a big fan of the Junkers Ju 87, aka Stuka dive bomber. The germans fitted it with a siren that scared the gently caress out of anybody on the receiving end of its bombs. Since it was a dive bomber, pilots would often black out from the extreme g forces when diving. They solved this by putting some automatic brakes on the wings that would level the plane off even if the pilot was totally unconscious. Imagine that, two sleeping krauts in the cockpit, whisked away to safety by Nazi engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Nazis had the coolest poo poo.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BeefThief posted:

Personally, im a big fan of the Junkers Ju 87, aka Stuka dive bomber. The germans fitted it with a siren that scared the gently caress out of anybody on the receiving end of its bombs. Since it was a dive bomber, pilots would often black out from the extreme g forces when diving. They solved this by putting some automatic brakes on the wings that would level the plane off even if the pilot was totally unconscious. Imagine that, two sleeping krauts in the cockpit, whisked away to safety by Nazi engineering.

you ever seen them cannon-equipped stukas? they used them on the eastern front, badass looking plane. the memoirs of their pilots were also heavily scrutinized when they were designing the A-10

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

It's also crazy how many Nazi companies that produced tons of materiel for the war are still kicking. Volkswagen, Rolls Royce and BMW come to mind, particularly BMW and their engine design for the ridiculous Heinkel He 162

Fuxkin ridic

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

BeefThief posted:

It's also crazy how many Nazi companies that produced tons of materiel for the war are still kicking. Volkswagen, Rolls Royce and BMW come to mind, particularly BMW and their engine design for the ridiculous Heinkel He 162

Fuxkin ridic

Your plane is dying of a tumor.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BeefThief posted:

Fuxkin ridic

well, considering the Me-163, which they actually used, it's a bit of an improvement

because it was rocket-powered, its final approach really was its final approach: if you screwed up the landing you were toast

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

The Alchemist posted:

Yeah Luger's were/are pretty sought after.

Went to a gun show the other day and M1 Garand's are like $3000+.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

This was never made but they actually designed it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Stuka siren is easily one of the best sounds to come from war

Shions of Qud

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Pookum posted:

I like how the ventilation shaft is just popped on there like an afterthought

this is like, if there was a videogame equivalent to Space Engineers, but for tanks, and in real life

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

verbal enema posted:

The Stuka siren is easily one of the best sounds to come from war

the Jericho trumpet is used as the goto sound effect for crashing plane in every movie ever so yeah

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

The Mad Archivist posted:

this is like, if there was a videogame equivalent to Space Engineers, but for tanks, and in real life

I bet its like the weakspot on the deathstar too, one well placed molotov and the whole crew is breathing superheated air

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I like how goofy long the treads are

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Pookum posted:

How can it turn? Can it turn?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
might as well have just copied the German rail gun design instead:

damndest thing is that it actually worked

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

The Alchemist posted:

How can it turn? Can it turn?

Probably not. This was probably someones wet dream and not even Stalin was crazy enough to greenlight it.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BeefThief posted:

Sure sure, but without air superiority it was very vulnerable, and for much of the latter part of the war they did not have air superiority. I'm particularly find of the Tiger tank, and the T-34. The Mosquito is also cool - airframe made of balsa wood and super fast.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Pookum posted:

I thought I was gonna scroll down and see that it was on a rail car but nope, its even more fuckin stupid.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Nuke

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BeefThief posted:

hmmm?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this nazi bayonet is my favourate ww2 weapon because i own one (thanks grandpa you rule!)

BeefThief posted:

dont forget Siemens electronics that made mobile murder vans and Bayer pharmaceuticals once a part of IG Farbin (the great guys the did that whole holocaust and manufactured Zycoln-B)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 19, 2015

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Alchemist posted:

feh. not even the best 9mm or best nazi pistol of the war

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The mustang and the zero are prolly the sexiest planes

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Wild Horses posted:

The mustang and the zero are prolly the sexiest planes

bf / me 109 begs to differ

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
indian motorbikes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lets not forget american companies operating in nazi germany in our list of holocaust-complicit enterprises. im looking at you ibm, ford and coke

sten guns are pretty cool

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
MG42, just to get the obvious out of the way because no one's mentioned it yet. Effective weapon at any time, with a ridiculous rate of fire, and could be made just almost light enough to almost be used as a squad assault weapon before the idea had really caught on. So good that it became the MG3 which is still being used today.

Also it's fun reading about different philosophies of warfare and how it might have shaped weapons design. Like the Germans came from an old culture of regimented warfare and then later they had four years of hell in trenches where machine guns were great, so they put a lot of effort into those in the next war. While Americans had fought wars where good rifles made the difference and there's a sense of having every soldier being equally capable with that hint of egalitarianism and/or libertarianism, which meant they invented and used way better rifles.

So of course the M1 Garand is my other favourite.

Edit: vvv
Possibly intentional. If you were walking through northern France with your platoon, and suddenly a giant fart shattered the serene quiet and starting shredding all your buddies, what would your mind make of the situation? And every moment later on in your life, if you heard a fart, you'd experience flashbacks.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 19, 2015

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
mg42 makes a weird fart sound though

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm a giant fan of the k98, that thing is almost always a one shot kill in WWII games

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
probably zyklon-b

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

One of the prettiest aircraft ever imho.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

trenchfoot

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

M1 Garand is still my favorite gun ever. That thing is so legendary.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Well, if you're going to go with that I've gotta go with syphilis. Imagine you had a German agent in London, how much damage could you wreak if you gave him the amount of money needed to buy, oh I dunno, a V1 rocket or something, and told him to hire every trumped out half-dead prostitute in the city to give a free "good time" to every man in uniform, without rubbers? You'd do a lot more damage than the V1 could ever have done.

Also, doesn't count as biological warfare because agents operating illegally are plausibly deniable. Hey, why doesn't ISIL do this? If you wanna kill people large scale sexually transmitted disease is the way to do it.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 19, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

well, considering the Me-163, which they actually used, it's a bit of an improvement

because it was rocket-powered, its final approach really was its final approach: if you screwed up the landing you were toast
Also the wheels fell off after takeoff and it had to land on a ski.

And the two fuels used were hypergolic, they would ignite just from contact with each other, so filling had to be done by two completely separate teams with color coded uniforms.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I'm going to be a dumb baby and say the StG 44, but just because of the krumlauf attachment for shooting around corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu95abudQjc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Guavanaut posted:

And the two fuels used were hypergolic, they would ignite just from contact with each other, so filling had to be done by two completely separate teams with color coded uniforms.

Aren't rocket fuels also hypergolic? Because it saves on space and complexity? I mean if you want a super energetic fuel just bursting with sheer chemical energy, it's going to be ready to pop at a moment's notice once it so much as sniffs an oxygen molecule, unless you're really clever, like with something like C4 (which subsequently can't be used as a rocket fuel because of the processes required to make it safe to handle, and also doesn't count because it doesn't require a separate oxidiser).

Sucks that the best rocket engineers had to work for Nazis too. If your life's work is making cool rockets that can make it into space, the last thing you want is to give them a payload of TNT to drop on some hole like London.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread