Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

fentan posted:

Did you (Dyrford Village) kill Medreth? I lied to her and said the orlan got away, which apparently counted as helping her out which is what I told the doorman. Anyway, another option is to walk into a house in the north east of Copperlane district and bust up some thieves. They'll have a note that Mr Doemenel will be interested in seeing.
Third option: when you do the quest for Maea in Ondra's Gift you can hear everyone out and negotiate, which will lead to House Doemenel being brought up. Offer to speak to them and you will be referred directly to the Doemenel merchant. I managed to unlock the Doemenel merchant this way even though my reputation with them was the worst it could be and they had already sent some people to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think the Drinking Horn of Moderation isn't bugged only for Ciphers and reapplies its Int bonus whenever you load a savegame. Or something like that, I don't know. All I can say is that I've avoided the permanent stat boost bug and still arrived at a point where Durance can now cover almost the entire screen with Interdiction.

Wezlar posted:

I would really like wizard a lot better if they didn't feel as useless during small engagements when you don't want to be casting their spells.
Yeah, I think it's pretty much mandatory to get the Blast talent if you want your Wizard to do anything worthwile without using up spells. Most of their per encounter abilities are either situational or defensive.

The class is strong, though. If it fails to stand out that's more to do with Druids, Priests and Ciphers being great and having some spells that should probably be turned down a notch than Wizards being bad imo. And even so, being the kings of AoE disables is a pretty comfortable niche.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think the biggest problem with Wizards is shared by all per-rest centered classes, and that is that I constantly horde their abilities for difficult fights. In the meantime this has let my other, more per encounter focused characters drastically outshine them.
I kind of want to say something along the lines of "Who cares who outshines who if it's an easy battle anyway?" but I agree. I think Wizards are a good class, although some of their spells could stand to have larger AoEs, possibly at the cost of shorter durations. It's just that their encounter abilities are mostly lackluster and/or defensive. I hope some changes are made to them in the future. In the meantime, maybe making fast weapons better will help implements enough to make Wizards contribute more without using spells, who knows?

Other thoughts on the patch:
Lowering Bonded Grief penalties is good but it won't prevent animal companions from going down like a sack of poo poo in the first place. I just want Itumaak to live and be happy and maybe useful. :(
The Drinking Horn of Moderation seems completely bugged. At least in my game, Durance eventually ended up with I think 21 Int since the item seems to reapply its bonus over and over again. I don't know what causes this, but since the thing's not getting fixed I'd advise people to just not equip it, Cipher or not.
I don't see Shades being mentioned in those patch notes.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tbh I think ciphers need to be nerfed, probably just by reducing some of their disable times. As it is the class is pretty much designed to reign supreme (foe-only disable AoEs and single-target control are both very powerful). I think they've got the inverse problem that the Chanter has at present - their power wanes a bit as battles draw on, but battles don't typically last very long, especially given how powerful their abilities are. Kitting with firearms is also a very obvious and very powerful build, far and away the most powerful build in the game.
Yeah, Ciphers are pretty crazy right now. In theory, they are limited by their disables being either single-target or small AoE and their damaging abilities spreading the damage out either over time or enemies, but in practice, yeah well.
But the same can be said about Druids and Priests, so I think it's just a matter of generally unbalanced spell lists. Ciphers may have the most outliers, but it's not like a Druid can't just trivialize half of Act I with Winter Wind, either.

DrPop posted:

Just wanted to say that anyone who's been hesitating to use the stat fix provided on reddit earlier (https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30x84n/unofficial_bugfix_easy_fix_for_attributesdefences/) should do it. I was nervous because I'm an idiot and thought I'd mess something up, but it's very easy.
I used it too; it's incredibly easy, works and didn't break anything.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't mind the chanter Invocations really, especially for level one the worm one is incredible. It's definitely situational - it literally does nothing if you're fighting ghosts for example, or just one strong enemy, and is weak in encounters with a few creatures only. But for an AoE I've found it borderline overpowered. Though that said, waiting 3 phrases is still kinda long, especially for the other Invocations which feel a lot weaker.

And yeah, the chants themselves feel really really weak. Except Ila of course, but while it was definitely far, far too strong and abusable before, and will still be good for parties with multiple gunners now, it can't carry the class on its own. Especially for players that don't want to use guns a lot. The other level one/two chants (I've not gotten to level three ones yet) aren't useless or anything but they're simultaneously fairly weak and very situational so why wouldn't I just pick a class that can contribute all the time instead of maybe giving me the extra edge in X-defense against a tough monster, if I even remember that a chant other than Ila exists?
Pretty much this. I want to like Chanters, but it's hard.
They don't get quite enough phrases to justify how situational some of them are, and many of the lower level ones are not that good even when they're relevant. The higher level ones are universally good, though.
Invocations pretty much kill the class for me, though. They will often decide a battle the moment you use them, but that requires it not being decided/over already. So most of the time this whole feature of the class does effectively nothing and when you do get one off you get a victory that just feels cheap out of it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Batham posted:

It was? Mages were hilariously overpowered, sounds like a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate to me!

e: Any possibility on mods for PoE? How easy would it be to change around a few models or add quests?
Was there a build like a Berserker/Mage that could be immune to everything remotely threatening ever? If not then gently caress it, not broken enough.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Batham posted:

Arcane Warrior. It's pretty much Bioware tossing any idea of balance out of the window.
Good. At least Bioware understands the natural order when it comes to class balancing in RPGs.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also, the Worm invocation felt very opaque to me and kinda hard to figure out, I remember when I picked it I was thinking it'd summon some worms to fight for me or something, and then trying it and not really noticing it doing anything at all and I was kinda like 'what the gently caress is the point of this skill'? But then I realized that when the combat log says poo poo like 'X misses, Y grazes, Z hits' you can click it to see what happened and holy moley, yes please I would like to do 10 - 20 damage foe-only aoe PER WORM, thank you. Oh there are 3 corpses there, boop that's like 40 - 50 damage to every enemy clustered up in this doorway waiting for their chance to wail at Eder. It's like Diablo 2 corpse explosion in fun and power, and can single-handedly win me tough encounters against lots of enemies, for example some of the Xaurip mobs on Od Nua level 5 on Hard.
Yeah, I remember picking that only because, really, how could you not take an ability with that name and description despite not understanding what it would do at all. It took me 3 or 4 fights at least to figure it out, but turns out it's really good.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

MartianAgitator posted:

I haven't played a high-level chanter, but I have to strongly disagree that an invocation will decide a battle when you use it. The low level ones are summons, -DR, a stun...These are set-ups that have to be properly capitalized on, not battle-deciders. The stun is the best because it'll let you refocus the battle some (it's a small AoE), but each of these require that you have enough control of the situation to use them. They can turn the tide, but not quickly.
A lot of the summons are very strong for their level. The Phantom may not scale incredibly well, but it's murderous early on, and once it's no longer helpful you have moved on to better summons that will wreck poo poo for you. Hel Hyraf and the Worms are also really good.
The main offender is the level 2 paralyze invocation, though. Huge AoE, long duration. The only downside is that it doesn't get increased accuracy, but it usually still hits most enemies. Between that and having a strong summon available for most levels, it's just been my experience that most fights are decided by an invocation if they aren't already.
I don't know if that would hold up for all invocations and I have only unlocked one of the level 3 ones, but a lot of them look really strong.

Pellisworth posted:

-Finding secrets containers and doors, picking locks, disabling traps is all governed by Mechanics skill, so someone in your party should dump a lot into that.
On that note, traps are loving brutal and there are tons of secret stashes all over the game. After I restarted due to bugs, I had three of the first four companions you pick up pour almost all of their skill points into Mechanics just so I'd always have at least one around that can handle those things.
Also, everyone needs a few points in Athletics. I've seen people say 4, but I've been fine with 3. Anything less and you'll deal with people complaining about being tired annoyingly often, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just finished the Endless Paths before patching to see that one boss for myself before it gets changed and the Adra Dragon kind of just died. Being at level 12 after doing most of the bounties probably didn't make the fight any more challenging, but it felt like even at level 10 I probably would have had enough options to petrify, paralyze or knock her down. I actually did the fight twice, once just more or less clicking through the dialogue until an [Attack] response showed up and then a second time when I wanted to go the diplomatic route but found out that helping the dragon didn't sound like a very nice thing to do after all.
All that changed was whose status effects hit. The first time it was Edér's Knock Down, of all things, and then either Hiravias or my main character following up with an Earth Talon. The second time Aloth decided that, gently caress it, this is his moment, and hit the dragon first with a Gaze, and then beat all odds by landing a Capricious Hex 30 second paralyze on the dragon and two of the Adragans (which I was mainly aiming for with it). Then he took the remaining Adragans out of the fight with a Slicken, just for good measure. Both times nobody was in any danger of going down.

That's how most battles have been going for a while now. Anything that looks dangerous enough to warrant spells being used on it just gets buried under an avalanche of status effects, and the only thing that can delay the inevitable for some time is if they hit one of my druids or Aloth with a dominate or something first. Kind of unfortunate, since the early to mid levels were often quite challenging and had some very memorable fights (Caed Nua at level 3, the entire Skaen temple, the first set of bounties, Gramrfel the awful fucker).

Sort of related to the above, I don't like that completing bounties gives experience, especially as much as they do now (assuming this isn't patched). I mean, I'm doing those so I can have some more challenging battles, getting 8000 or more experience for a single one is pretty much exactly what I don't want since it makes the rest of the game, subsequent bounties included, a lot easier.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I found the choice to be pretty easy since one slit his wife's throat and sits on his throne clutching the bloody dagger while leaving her in his bed because he's loving crazy and paranoid.
A look at Gilded Vale's prominent hanging tree should probably be enough to convince anyone that Raedric is not a cool guy, but then he just piles on more. Religious zealotry, employing the really bad kind of animancer that has mercenaries snatch people off the road to experiment on (partly redeemed by zombie cat), murdering his own wife and newborn child, overall insanity, employing that rear end in a top hat that welcomes you to Gilded Vale... Kolsc can't be any worse than this.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here are all the prisoners I know about. Locations before the dash, specifics afterward.

In Copperlane - Nyrid the mage, who is impersonating Purnisc, some jackass drug dealer.
In the Defiance Bay Catacombs - Eorn, a fugitive from the law who killed a Crucible Knight in self-defense. You can imprison him instead of turning him over or giving him money to leave town.
In Ondra's Gift - Aefre, the woman who's trying to squeeze the Salty Mast brothel. Fight her instead of negotiating and you can take her prisoner.
In Magran's Fork - Gramrfel, the leader of a group of bandits.
In Stormwall Gorge in Act 3 - Naelde, the leader of the Leaden Key assassins that try to take you out.
In Twin Elms - Captain Esmer, if you choose not to have him killed you can keep him prisoner yourself.

I haven't finished the game yet, so there might be more. In most cases, the money you get from capturing and ransoming them off seems to be more than you'd get by selling the stuff they had on them, so the loot is only a concern if you have low security or if they're carrying something you want to keep instead of selling. (Or, in at least two cases, you could not take them prisoner because you aren't an INHUMAN MONSTER.)
Endless Paths level 12 - Kestorik, a Vithrack and all around jerk.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This game.

Sort-of endgame spoilers ahead.

Did the quest for Hylea in Twin Elms, let the dragon live because what could go wrong?

Got the following conversation out of it:

:allears:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rollofthedice posted:

Is enchanting worth it?
Yes, but it's usually best to enchant things that already have qualities you can't add on your own.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The last couple of posts make me wonder what Nexus modders might, in good time, make of a character named the Grieving Mother.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

2house2fly posted:

I don't want to click on this because spoilers, but is there any chance someone could post a list of the names of quests which affect the ending slides? I missed the Powder Ganger vault in New Vegas and now I'm paranoid about missing ending-affecting quests. I don't care about how they're resolved, I just want the names.

Blood Legacy
Lord of a Barren Land
The Champion of Berath
The Master Below, Caed Nua in general.

Apart from that just main story and companion stuff.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Megazver posted:

Thanks again, man.

Me and Musluk added all the endings available so far to the Official Wiki page. If you got an ending that isn't listed there, please add it.
I, uh, I'm too lazy to transcribe/edit right now, but here are Hiravias' ending slides if you push him towards Galawain over Wael in conversations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Vehementi posted:

Is Barbarian talent Brute Force (attacks roll against lower of deflection & fortitude) worth it? Do many / any mobs have lower fort than deflection? I never pay attention to that relationship.

Was hoping Autonomous Monster had pulled that out of the bestiary (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=296#post443600321)
I was wondering the same thing because I might go with a Barbarian for my second playthrough, and it seems terrible. There are two challenging enemies against which it will make a difference (Vithracks and Shades, some other spirits too I guess) while most enemies have higher Fortitude than Deflection.

V. Illych L. posted:

Just beat the game. Sagani got depressed and Grieving Mother was dumb. That was irritating.
I got the same Sagani ending and thought it was really stupid. Durance's and Pallegina's ending weren't exactly happy ones but seemed fitting, but Sagani's...why? Do you have to constantly remind her that hey, that family you told me about presumably still exists and cares about you to prevent suicide by blizzard?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nope, but you do have to find some meaning in it. Shrugging your shoulders and/or deriding at someone's life's purpose of five years especially given how it turns out probably isn't super emotionally constructive.
Yeah, I guess that's the problem then.
For reference, I felt it was pointless considering how long it took, said as much, but throughout her talks reminded her that she would at least be able to get back to her family. I could see her becoming depressive after that, sure, but that whole self-destructive angle just seems really weird considering she also gets to see her husband and children again.

Bogarts posted:

I haven't gotten to it yet but the passive sicken aura that barbs get lowers all stats by 1 and lowers fortitude by 10. So thats what -14 fort on everything around you?
Huh, didn't even know that existed. Sickened without defense? That's pretty good. Probably worth it then, although it will only really pay off once you get that aura. Before that I guess you could try lowering Fortitude through other means until the aura takes care of that.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Encounter design seems like another criticism where people are forgetting to compare with BG 1, and instead comparing with BG 2, a game with a higher level, more versatile party and one where the Dev team had already built the basic engine and thus could spend time getting complicated.
BG1 had much better encounter design than BG2 when it tried.
BG1 was mostly empty wilderness, but the chapter end fights and the entirety of TotSC are far better than BG2s approach of spamming beholders/vampires/mind flayers/golems/trolls/shadows/whatever or just plopping down a high level mage because just using the same anti-protection spells over and over doesn't get old, ever.
Not to say that BG2 had no interesting battles at all, but a lot of the game's encounters are really poo poo and repetitive. ToB was largely pretty good in that regard, though.

And as for PoE, I agree with the criticism to some degree, and I felt that the game had a little too few different enemy types for its length, but it does mix things up by giving you more varied groups than you'd usually encounter in the Baldur's Gates. I think it's overall consistently well-done but doesn't ever get really great. Although I have to say that I was crazy overleveled for the entirety of Act 3 and half of the Endless Paths, so maybe I missed out there.

Also, that RPGCodex guy using a custom superb weapon to prove his point about unique weapons being lackluster is silly.

Edit: Where does this idea that PoE is low-level stuff come from, by the way? Considering you're killing dragons and making deals with gods in the end, this doesn't really seem accurate.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Musluk posted:

Also also, don't you need adra dragon or sky dragon scales to enchant stuff to superb? Those aren't exactly easy to come by, and anything you use them for should be strong, period.
Yeah, exactly. Doesn't matter which weapon you think is better here (I agree that it's the Blade of the Endless Paths, though), a custom superb item has every right to be that good, considering what you have to do to get the ingredients.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Toplowtech posted:

The level/magic progression system is insanely close to the old 2.5 D&D one, where the power creep really only starts at level 13. So for anyone stuck in that state of mind, PoE is the prelude to EPIC HEROES AND GODS KILLING levels.
Edit: consider that with the current PoE rule-set expanded to higher level one would expect 4 level 3 spells par encounter starting at level 13...
Returning Storm always on, forever. Start making GBS threads lightning as soon as a xaurip so much as looks your way.

The Sharmat posted:

Imagine what a high level campaign in this setting must be like. Endgame Spoiler: gonna help Durance build more Godhammers and kill all those motherfuckers
I would play nothing else for the rest of my life.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

As much as Sawyer wanted to dodge the Wizard Problem, I think it does begin to emerge in acts 2-3. Druids, Priests, Wizards, and Ciphers become a lot more powerful and involved at high levels. Chanters strike a middle ground because they have decent buffs and the best summons but they're not quite as interesting as I'd like them to be. At high levels the Fighter niche really becomes the Passive meatshield since they can't do consistent AOE like the Barbarian, can't focus people down like the Rogue, and I plan on posting more words later on why I find the Ranger and Paladin kind of sad. That said, I might be a niche audience in that I liked 4e enough I wanted to see active abilities, stances, et cetera coming out of the martial characters to make them as involved as the casters. While you can take more active abilities for your Barbarian and build them to do good consistent damage vs. crowds while off-tanking, they're never going to be as involved as a Druid or a Cipher.
I think spellcasters are the most powerful classes right now by a fair margin, but I expect that to go away with patches. It's not like in most of the D&D-based games where casters would start playing a different game than everybody else at mid level and stop playing at all soon after. It's just that the spell lists have enough outliers to unbalance the game. Which is to be expected given how many spells there are, I think.

Also, I wouldn't want my entire party to be that involved, but it's unfortunate that the only classes that really have more than a couple of abilities are all spellcasters.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think a lot could be achieved by just lowering durations for a lot of disabling spells and abilities, and probably tweaking the effects of petrification. Also crit modifiers, if that can be applied to status effects.
I don't like powerful status effects like paralyze, dominate and so on being in the game to begin with, but it's things like the 20 second base duration on Gaze of the Adragan that make them win buttons.

Delacroix posted:

Regarding being on the receiving end of status effect spam, perhaps con could reduce incoming duration?
This seems like a great idea.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rizuhbull posted:

I'm at the first level up but aside from lore and maybe athletics, the skills don't seem that useful for a paladin. Is it worth it to get a bit of everything for the scripted events?
Not really. Party members can handle cripted events just fine, and the only skills that come up in conversations somewhat regularly are Lore and Survival. Both of which are good picks for a Paladin, btw.

In general, make sure everyone has some Athletics, keep one party member around that has as high Mechanics as possible, and apart from that you can do whatever you want.

Oh, and always be in stealth mode when you're in a dungeon. The traps in this game will gently caress you up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Has anyone here played around with offbeat custom parties?
I'm thinking about going with something like Rogue, Monk, Barbarian, Cipher, Wizard, Druid (all-out offense without any real tanks basically) and was wondering if someone had done something similar.

esquilax posted:

Warden gives you a few quests that are difficult and fun.
I would stay away from the bounties you get from the warden for a first playthrough. They are fun, but they give out ridiculous amounts of XP and it's too easy to get way overleveled in this game as it is.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Red Mundus posted:

I don't know where to ask this but I thought I'd ask here. I decided to go back and play BG 1 + 2 and playing BG1 is making me vomit nails. I was in a really hard challenging fight and my sword spontaneously broke loving my 2 handed warrior big time. However, the smith doesn't sell 2 handed swords for some dumb reason so I ain't got no weapon. Also every mage I encounter one shots me every loving time and I am just losing it.

Should I just skip BG 1 and go to 2 or don't bother? I would love to explore and grow and adventure and poo poo but there is so much sloggy crap in BG games that it sucks all the fun out. Whenever I start having fun a mage shows up or my sword breaks or an AI member gets poisoned and starts benny hillin' all over the place.

I think PoE is spoiling me.
Use savegame editors - EEKeeper if you have the Enhanced Edition, I think SwordCoastKeeper if you actually play BG1 in the original engine which you shouldn't - to give all your guys +1 weapons if weapons breaking bothers you. They're not that much better than regular weapons, so it's not going to break the game or anything.
Apart from that, BG1 is pretty punishing, so if it's really not for you then there's no point in keeping at it. It gets less swingy after the first couple of levels, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Jackard posted:

I guess that makes up for the bizarre lack of benchwarmer xp and the lower-level hireling restriction in a game with otherwise finite content?
Oh yeah, it does. I let Aloth sit out most of Act II, and in the end he was around 10.000 XP behind everybody else because I apparently forgot to send him on any offscreen adventures. I brought him back in and he still capped out before I did any Act III content, thanks to bounties and the Endless Paths. So they can help to make everyone equally busted. :v:
I'd rather just use Cheat Engine, though.

Btw, does the IE Mod allow adjusting how many XP benchwarmers get? That's the one thing I really want modded in this game.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Stokes posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach the shade battles in the Eothan temple in Gilded Vale. I have a 4th Level Goldpact Knight Orlan Paladin, 3rd level Elf Chanter, 4th level Eder, 4th level Durance, and 4th level Aloth. I feel that the bigger battle is fighting the absolutely terrible engagement mechanic as they teleport around and spawn even more shadows that end up just wrecking me. I'm playing on hard, but even then this just doesn't seem like a very fair fight. Anyone have any tips?
Put all your guys in decent armor. I think Scale Armor gives extra Freeze DR, so that would be useful.
Target Fortitude and Will defenses if you can, and use Fire damage.
Try to lower the Shades' Deflection. Blinding them (Aloth might have something for that) or using Durance's Halt spell should work.
Use consumables, even if it just means force-feeding everyone pie and getting them drunk.
I think you pick up some fire traps in that dungeon, too, so maybe use those.
If your Chanter has the Hel Hyraf invocation, that would also help.

Basically, the thing about Shades is that they have high Deflection and DR, but not a lot of Endurance, so if you can lower or get through their defenses, they won't be around for long.

jerichojx posted:

Seriously, I have gone three games without seeing the Gloves of Manipulation again but thanks for outfitting everyone in my team with Bracers of +10 Deflection
I got three Rings of Overseeing in Act I. Not gonna complain, but random loot does silly things sometimes.

The Sharmat posted:

Endgame spoiler regarding Pallegina For being on the surface the most benevolent of the Gods, Hylea sure is a giant bitch. If you take her conversation with Pallegina at face value, she basically deliberately chose to make her this way because Pallegina would hate it, and Hylea likes her angry.
Didn't she pretty much say "You're beautiful when you're angry." in only slightly different words?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Viscardus posted:

What do you mean by failing to actually understand them? As far as I can tell, Durance's bad end comes from not convincing him that Magran conspired with Woedica, which doesn't really seem like a case of not understanding him (unless you don't do it in order to spare his feelings or something, I guess?). Pallegina's bad end seems to come from letting her do the right thing instead of her duty, which, again, doesn't seem like a failure to understand her. And Grieving Mother's just comes from being a utilitarian or something. :v:

I'm not really sure what leads to Aloth's bad end (I got what seems to me to be a good one by doing the obvious "nice" things).

I disagree, though. She makes a pretty convincing case that what she did was reasonable. She has an extremely utilitarian worldview, and she's consistent enough with it that she is willing to let you do the same thing to her. Honestly, I felt like her bad end comes out of nowhere and doesn't make a lot of sense. It was one of the two that bothered me in my playthrough (even Kana got a better ending, and I didn't even finish his quest because I got bored with the Endless Paths and wanted to see the end of the game).

The other one that bothered was Sagani's. As far as I can tell, she got a bad ending because I let her make up her own mind about what's important in life. Which brings me to a greater problem I have with the companions' stories: it seems like in most cases, if you want the "better" ending you need to impose your will on your companions - without you, they will all make the wrong choices in life. If you let Sagani or Pallegina or Grieving Mother make up their own minds about what they want, they will gently caress up and ruin their lives (although at least in Pallegina's case it feels "fair" because both she and you can see it coming). This might be true in other cases, too, but I'm not completely sure.
Aloth has an authority vs. independence angle in many of his dialogues, which seems like it would play a huge role.

I got Pallegina's Kind Wayfarer ending and didn't think of it as bad. She did what she felt was right, lived with the consequences and continued doing the right thing instead of breaking down. She remained an outsider but eh, can't have it all.

Sagani first got depressed and then suicidal in my ending, apparently because I didn't convince her that her quest was worth it, which I still think is bullshit to some degree. I'm fine with her getting depressed, but the rest not so much. Especially since Sagani seemed like a pretty grounded character.

All I can say about Sad Mama is that I got her good ending despite never talking to her after recruiting her so I could drag her through the Skaen temple to do the Cipher thing. Which, you know, nice for her, but kind of weird considering there's clearly something very wrong with her when she joins.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Goodpancakes posted:

If you are out leveling the content consider playing on path of the damned
I wasn't aware that Path of the Damned changes XP gains and level progression.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

zedprime posted:

Not literally, the idea is that instead of a difficulty curve that falls below the power curve in a completionist playthrough, there is a difficulty wall that leveling up only really bandaids.
I know, I just meant to say that the idea is not a very convincing one since you'll still end up overleveled, just within the context of PotD.

Tbh, I don't get why people come up with all these weird ideas like time limits and whatever. PoE only gives out XP for murdering things until you've completed a bestiary entry, which isn't incredibly much. So if side content gives too much XP compared to the critical path, it's really just a matter of changing quest reward XP around.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

cool tree bro posted:

Most people don't want to have to do a completionist run to get maximum level in an rpg.
And that could easily be catered to by making it so that the critical path would take you up to let's say 85% of max XP and all side content and bestiary entries combined could only ever give 25%.
That may be a bit extreme, and in the end I'm just throwing random numbers out there. All I'm saying is that the XP system in place in this game should easily allow Obsidian to tweak quest rewards to bring things in order. No need for time limits, level-up table overhauls, or telling people to just play PotD.

Lt. Danger posted:

*levels lance* Perhaps a progression system that doesn't involve just making all the numbers bigger? *charges windmill*
:hfive:

That ship had sailed when the game was first pitched as a spiritual successor to the IE games, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Two things I still wonder about regarding all the endgame revelations:

Were the Glanfathans recruited to make sure that nobody would find the truth about the AI gods or did that deal predate their creation?

Did the Engwithans use their own souls to power the gods, or was the vision of the mass sacrifice at the end showing something similar to the Leaden Key cultists sacrificing themselves to power the soul-collecting towers, just on a much grander scale?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, this was a big help. Sounds like I'll mostly use Hiravias then. I grabbed him at level 3, so this is the level 4 upgrade -- I'll probably give him scion of flame just to use the sunray ability vs the shadows etc. early on.
Druids get no really amazing fire-based spells for quite some time, though. Sunbeam is good, but not because of its damage. I guess PotD might mean you want every edge you can get against Shades, but the talent will probably feel somewhat wasted for a while afterwards.
I picked up the elemental damage talents for Fire, Freeze and Shock for my own Druid, in the following order:
Freeze on level 2 for Winter Wind and Blizzard. Hail Storm is also decent since it covers pretty much the entire screen but didn't factor into the decision at the time.
Shock on level 4 for Returning Storm and its big brother.
Fire on level 8 for Firebug alone. Druids have other fire spells worth casting, but Firebug makes the talent worth it.
That meant picking two of those before the spells I wanted them for at the time became available, which might have been excessive. I don't think so, though.
All other talents were extra spell slots. I'm not sure those were really worth it (for Hard mode), overall, apart from the extra 4th level spell. 3rd level has amazing spells for when you get them, but they fall out of favor.

Hiravias picked the same stuff, just a bit delayed.

I considered giving Hiravias the extra interrupt talent because he has decent Perception. I didn't go for it, but I think I will next time. Druids often end up hitting every enemy on the screen in any given turn, sometimes more than once. I don't think spending talents towards spiritshifting is worth it right now.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 8, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I kept a set of heavy armor around for everybody. The only one that wore one by default was my main tank (Pallegina, I don't think she ever wore anything but her custom armor), but a lot of difficult fights were a lot easier when I made sure that my backline people couldn't just get fired down to 50% or less endurance in a few seconds. I'm thinking of Shades and other spirits and fights against other Kith (Skaen Temple Sentries, Gramrfel and friends) in particular here, but there are more like it.

Also, it would be a tragedy to let all those sexy as gently caress breastplates just go to waste.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Walrus Pete posted:

Actually Eder rules and you stink. But to answer your question, fighters are the best tanks (by kind of a huge margin) but you don't need one. Paladins can't engage as many enemies as fighters, though, so you'll want an off-tank.
I used Pallegina is a tank on Hard and it was fine, no real off-tank needed. Edér was around but was usually sent after whatever high-priority target I wanted to see gibbed by 40+ damage estoc hits. I did use summoning items for difficult fights, though.
But definitely get a guarding weapon and the talent that allows engaging more enemies if you use a non-Fighter tank, that made a huge difference.

Dandywalken posted:

This. Shades high-rear end Deflection rating (its 70 I think?) just really fucks players early on.
And when you hit them, they still have better-than-Plate DR. :suicide:
Not that there aren't several ways to handle them even at low level, but when I went through that temple the first time, I ended up just brute forcing my way through it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

WarLocke posted:

^^^: For Shades I really think single-weapon is the way to go. +12 Accuracy gets you more hits, means more crits to mitigate that DR. Paired with buffs/debuffs/CC of course.
I used debuffs and then went to work with the biggest weapons I had to get through that DR. It might not be the best approach, but it worked. What really helped was my Druid main's Firebrand spell, and putting everyone into medium or heavy armor. But that was my second playthrough. The first time I went down there I had barely understood how this game works and just relied on spamming fire-based attacks until it was over. But I guess that's what you get for playing on Hard when you don't know what you're doing.

quote:

Paladins can work but the extra engagements from Defender really pull Fighters ahead as 'tanks' when you can't rely on chokepoints. Also the regenerating endurance is very nice against things that would hit through a Paladin's high deflection anyway.
I do think that Fighters are better tanks than Paladins, and probably just better in general. But Paladins do get better Fortitude, Will and Reflex defenses, although NPCs miss out on Faith and Conviction bonuses. A Paladin tank can also take a more active role in the fight despite being permanently engaged thanks to a wider array of activated abilities. Of course, a lot of them aren't all that good, but it's still better than the Fighter standing around and knocking some guy that probably wasn't even dangerous to the party down because there's nothing else to do.

I mainly went with Pallegina as a tank and Edér as a damage dealer because their stats support that approach. That Paladin-only Herald shield in Gilded Vale is really good, too.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
PoE drinking game: take a shot whenever Durance starts sweating.

DrPop posted:

Is the last quest for the Crucible Knights really Winds of Steel, where you ice all the "revolting" Forge Knights? There's nothing else for my dude to talk about with the Commander or Dunstan after that. I'm still in Act 2, FWIW.
Yes.

StringOfLetters posted:

I also really like that everyone holding a spellbook will drop their dang spellbook. Wizard highlander. Wizards are so cool, guys. They don't have as much punch as like a druid, but they can pave the way for a team of under-equipped auto-attacking morons to conquer armies. I took Aloth's armor for myself because I have not found anything else that makes bigger radii.
There are Rings of Overseeing that you can find as random loot. They do nothing else besides giving bigger AoEs, though, so they're not nearly as good as Aloth's armor when it's fully enchanted.

MMD3 posted:

I'm still really confused by how experience is doled out in this game. it says "party earned 3000exp, I go to check my progress towards leveling up and I seem to have only gone up a few hundred exp. Is it divided evenly among party members or something?
Yeah, it reports the experience your party earned, not what each member got.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Avalerion posted:

Not sure about doemels, think they hate me by default because I didn't turn in their letter.
Pretty much. The only thing you can do if you don't deliver the letter to the Doemenels is unlock their merchant, but you're cut off from them as a faction choice. The merchant will still do business with you even if you cross the Doemenels at every turn, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Elderbean posted:

Is this an appropriate stat layout for a priest on hard?

Mig 18
Con 8
Dex 18
Per 8
Int 18
Res 8

He's squishy, but has lot's of AOE and potent healing.
I agree with getting Dexterity and Intellect as high as possible on a Priest. After that I'd prioritize Resolve, since it offers two layers of interrupt protection by boosting Deflection and Concentration, and Might. I wouldn't max out Might, though. Healing is only one part of what a Priest does, and while it's nice to have better heals to fall back on if things go south it's better to prevent that from happening in the first place (which is where Int, Dex and Res come into play).
Constitution is kind of weak as a stat, but I wouldn't dump it on the one guy you really want to keep standing to keep your group going in tough battles. Shaving off a few points should be fine, though, since Priests don't tend to draw a lot of fire unless you want to off-tank with them.
I see no reason not to dump Perception. You may want to avoid a huge Deflection penalty, but that can be made up for with Resolve.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 10, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Wizards have low base accuracy and all guns carry an accuracy penalty. Most things are viable to a degree, but gunwizards don't seem like a good idea to me.
Chanters and Ciphers are good with guns and will actually use them throughout the game, so I'd go for one of those two classes or the Magran talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Druids are a good class for a first playthrough. Easy to build (get lots of Might and at least decent Intellect, pick all elemental damage talents except the Corrosion one, and apart from that do whatever), and you get the entire spell list to play around with without ever needing to agonize over choices. And while Druids are mainly about blasting everything to bits, their spell list is pretty versatile. You don't really get buffs, but that's all the class lacks.

Also, I've started playing with a custom party of Barbarian, Druid, Wizard, Cipher, Monk and Rogue and holy poo poo I love it. It started with exploding bears and bandits and only got better. Also made me realize that Obsidian's NPCs are really more built for a slow and steady approach, which might have informed some of the common assertions about the one true way of playing this game (make heavy use choke points, always have a tank and a Priest etc.).

• Locked thread