Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jordan7hm posted:

PotD results in some extra monster spam too I think, beyond the added stats (all difficulties together?).

I have to say I agree with the rpgcodex post linked here a while ago - encounter design in PoE is really poor. Part of that is how easy it is to set up fights to your advantage every single time, but even then I'd really like to have seen more ambushes or more interesting mixed encounters. Maybe it gets better later, but certainly early on it's not good.

See, I feel the opposite. It seems like the early part of the game is engineered to really encourage you to break old Infinity engine habits - monsters only yield XP until you complete their bestiary entry, quests can be completed without having to combat literally everything to death, and the equipment power curve is gradual enough to be challenging. Your characters don't have a full set of abilities yet, so you actually have to care about positioning and power usage and how many camping supplies you've got left.

Then Act 2 opens up, and there's just so many frickin' quests that get thrown at you and you quickly out-level the difficulty curve of the game. Unless you're going for main story only completion, doing any of the side quests starts to move the balance needle away from tight, dangerous encounters, towards just steamrolling everything. Caster supremacy jumps the character balance shark, and since you're given an NPC wizard/druid/cleric/cypher you can pretty much make the worst possible PC as your hero and skate through the game.

Seriously, the game might as well end once you either complete Act 3 or reach level 9 in XP, because once your team goes thru the level 8 -> level 9 transition, you've won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oasx posted:

I thought I was helping helping Grieving mother by taking her bad memories away, boy was I wrong.

That character's entire backstory was about how doing something like that is a bad idea

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

precision posted:

I'm not very far at all but I'm going to make a wild guess that it turns out all the gods are assholes in this universe.

Which is more interesting than "THERE ARE NO GODS THIS IS GRIMDARK REAL LIFE poo poo XTREME" western design aesthetic.
I do really like how if you take philosopher as a background, you can be an atheist. I'm assuming that comes up again later in the game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

Everybody loves the Blunderbuss on Ciphers. Because it is a multi hit weapon. Focus is gained by a combination of On Hit and damage dealt. Therefore, more focus gained from usual per shot because it might nail all 6 pellets in one trigger pull. EDIT: There is also a talent that gives +2 focus per HIT, which ramps that up a lot. Tier 1 Cipher powers take 10 focus. +2 per hit talent bonus alone if all pellets hit is 12.

I'm sure somebody out there has done some math on what dual wielding or huge two handed method can compete on a focus gained per second situation. But a blunderbuss is also a lot safer since it's a ranged weapon :v:

Armor in general for all classes seems to often have an outlook of "Use as light armor as you can get away with without regularly getting your rear end kicked", since lighter armor means faster attack speed means more shooting means more rear end kicking. While the DR situation can cause some iffiness in "What is my opitmal choice vs enemies?", the general concept of Speed vs Protection is one I like a lot.

You don't really even need that much focus gain on a cipher. Starting at 30+ makes such an immense difference... yeah spamming paralyze a half dozen times is nice, but it's unnecessary in 90% of encounters. Even on potd the majority of my fights are 1-2 paralyzes and then auto attack spam, and over in maybe 15-25 seconds of game time.

I've gone with heavier armor for back rows. Sometimes poo poo goes wrong, and the extra DR in those fights can be really helpful. When poo poo goes right you're gonna win anyway, so the extra attack speed doesn't matter.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Major endgame spoiler The only really particularly moral decisions to make at the end seem to me to be Hylea's way, where you put the souls back in the Hollowborn, or the Galawain/Magran/Abydon way, where you use those souls to strengthen the remaining ones in the Dyrwood.

2house2fly posted:

I was kind of surprised that every ending I got felt satisfying and right, with one or two exceptions (drat it Crucible Knights I spoke up in favour of animancy why are you outlawing it??) Whenever I play a game with multiple endings like this the first playthrough is a big mess and the second or third becomes the "real" playthrough where I get the ending I actually want, but in this game the first playthrough ended so satisfyingly as to feel definitive. I mean I will still be playing it again, just not with the usual feeling of "I'll do things right this time".

They vary tremendously in subtle ways and it's not necessarily based on any one single big final decision with warning lights saying THIS IS HOW YOU SAVE/gently caress YOUR FRIEND. Their endings seem based around the sum total of your interactions since you first found them, and so if you do thing wrong, you can gently caress them over without knowing it. But it's always in a way that makes sense if you really pay attention. Ending slide spoilersFor me, Pallegina's and Sagani's endings were really bittersweet. Pallegina gets kicked out of her order and becomes a Kind Wayfarer. It's fulfilling work but she remains an outsider no matter where she goes. Sagani finally gets back home to find that her husband had died of a fever the previous year, and two of her children are dead as well. But after a long adjustment period she does eventually feel at home again with her surviving children and grandchildren.

Eder and the Grieving Mother were pretty :unsmith: though. Eder became mayor of Dyford and made it a really nice town. Grieving Mother moved there as well and delivered the first non-hollow infant the town had seen in years.

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, not really.

Well, kind of? It's open to interpretation

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oasx posted:

I thought I was helping helping Grieving mother by taking her bad memories away, boy was I wrong.

You can get a pet pig by taking the ogre out.

Concerning the quest, I recruited the Ogre before I ever spoke to the farmer, and I got an Ogre buddy, a pet pig, and a gun out of it. Win win win situation!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

It just occurred to me that they could use the time system already in the game to prevent you from breaking the level curve in one playthrough. Right now it seems like the only purpose of the day / night cycle is to measure how long it takes portions of your keep to be constructed, and to limit how long your rested buffs from inns will last. It seems like they could use the same system to put a time counter on something plot critical, like "we know the Leaden Key is only six days away from completing their nefarious ritual. We're not sure what it might happen, but we don't want to find out. You've got to stop them within 6 days time!" and then you can still have a mountain of side-quests and NPC-personal-background-quests and you can still choose to ignore the main quest and dick around town, but in 6 days the ritual will go off if not interrupted, and then the game jumps up a difficulty level or spawns more deadly monsters or whatever, that still out-level the total XP you could have accrued by doing all the side-quest stuff. It'd also give you a reason to use different party members on different playthroughs because there wouldn't be enough plot time to go through all of them at once.

Sort of like the Water Chip in FO1, but with stricter time limits.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Davoren posted:

Concerning the quest, I recruited the Ogre before I ever spoke to the farmer, and I got an Ogre buddy, a pet pig, and a gun out of it. Win win win situation!

Why would you ever not recruit Korgrac? I wish there were more dudes like him you could send back to your stronghold. I always wanted to invite Calisca's sister over there as well, so she wouldn't have to stay in rear end in a top hat Vale.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

homeless poster posted:

It just occurred to me that they could use the time system already in the game to prevent you from breaking the level curve in one playthrough. Right now it seems like the only purpose of the day / night cycle is to measure how long it takes portions of your keep to be constructed, and to limit how long your rested buffs from inns will last. It seems like they could use the same system to put a time counter on something plot critical, like "we know the Leaden Key is only six days away from completing their nefarious ritual. We're not sure what it might happen, but we don't want to find out. You've got to stop them within 6 days time!" and then you can still have a mountain of side-quests and NPC-personal-background-quests and you can still choose to ignore the main quest and dick around town, but in 6 days the ritual will go off if not interrupted, and then the game jumps up a difficulty level or spawns more deadly monsters or whatever, that still out-level the total XP you could have accrued by doing all the side-quest stuff. It'd also give you a reason to use different party members on different playthroughs because there wouldn't be enough plot time to go through all of them at once.

I get what you're saying and that would be cool, but that kind of thing seems to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. Some people just cannot handle time limits of any kind.

Also I think there are a very few things in the game that will only show up at specific times of day but I can't remember them specifically.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

homeless poster posted:

Why on Earth would you want this?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Davoren posted:

I didn't know you could recruit the ogre, I will have to try that!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

homeless poster posted:

Yeah, no thanks. Time limits in RPGs of all things would be loving terrible.

How about instead of preventing people from breaking the level curve you just don't give a gently caress because it's a single player game?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

2house2fly posted:

That character's entire backstory was about how doing something like that is a bad idea

Yeah, I realized that in hindsight.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

homeless poster posted:

Seriously, the game might as well end once you either complete Act 3 or reach level 9 in XP, because once your team goes thru the level 8 -> level 9 transition, you've won the game.

I assume any expansion will have to do some sort of rebalance pass on the critical path. Particularly if it raises the level cap by a couple levels.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I dunno. I enjoyed the smug feeling I got in Mass Effect 2 when everyone was complaining their crew got liquified but I got everyone out alive the first time because roleplaying.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

How about instead of preventing people from breaking the level curve you just don't give a gently caress because it's a single player game?

I don't like that in a completionist run you have to resign yourself to having the last 1/3rd of the game mostly be really easy because there's far more XP in Act 2 than you would ever need. But that kind of thing is hard to balance around. Go too far the other way and people are complaining the game is too hard and they shoudn't have to do 10 million sidequests to complete. I hate to say it, but the only solution is a certain degree of (trigger warning) level scaling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Okay I think I'm figuring this game out, but I have some questions:

Is there a difference in weapons you see at the beginning (like, sword) that have been enchanted to the max and weapons you find at the end of the game?

Is it a useful tactic to have a person use a 1-h weapon with no shield? Does that accuracy bonus actually do anything

Is it viable to have a no-wizard, no-priest, no-druid, no-cipher group?

Are there any other armor types that you don't see relatively early-- (breastplate, brigandine, plate armor, etc.)? I want my group to look pretty much how they're going to at the end of the game.

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

I get what you're saying and that would be cool, but that kind of thing seems to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. Some people just cannot handle time limits of any kind.

Also I think there are a very few things in the game that will only show up at specific times of day but I can't remember them specifically.

I hate time limits in most games because it just feels like a lazy solution by the developer.

The Sharmat posted:

I dunno. I enjoyed the smug feeling I got in Mass Effect 2 when everyone was complaining their crew got liquified but I got everyone out alive the first time because roleplaying.

You realize that time plays no role in the ME2 outcomes at all? You can putz around doing every single last quest and in fact, you should do all the loyalty missions to ensure perfect crew survival.
It was a really stupid mechanic honestly, loyalty mission + select the right guy.

cool tree bro fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 7, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Sharmat posted:

That's hardly the same thing as a Fallout-style water chip time limit.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

StashAugustine posted:

Did anyone find out who's telling the truth in the Cat and Mouse quest?

One person is telling a story that you would almost certainly would have heard about before. The other is basically saying "hey this rear end in a top hat from a family of known thugs wants to kill me"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Sharmat posted:

Uh, there's a time limit in Mass Effect 2..?

The Sharmat posted:

I don't like that in a completionist run you have to resign yourself to having the last 1/3rd of the game mostly be really easy because there's far more XP in Act 2 than you would ever need. But that kind of thing is hard to balance around. Go too far the other way and people are complaining the game is too hard and they shoudn't have to do 10 million sidequests to complete. I hate to say it, but the only solution is a certain degree of (trigger warning) level scaling.

Imo a better solution would be to scale the amount of experience you can receive from side quests by your level/amount of XP you require per level so that higher level characters do not receive the same rewards from doing low level quests as they do higher level ones. That way you can go through the entirety of Act 1 and 2's content but not be massively overpowered, but skimp by only doing the bare minimum and still be in the level target.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Spikeguy posted:

I'm pretty sure I got the story of Endless Path after beating it, but correct me if I'm wrong. A king from a long rear end time ago had a son who died. The king was wrecked with grief and decided to use magic in an attempt to bring his son back. In doing so, he built a big rear end statue on top of magic ore that could funnel souls into the statue. On the way to that, he and his subjects decided to cut corners and morality took a back seat. Then moments before being finished there was some sort of revolt, the king and his subjects died and they have been trapped ever since.

Futher endless path spoilers.
It wasn't so much an attempt to bring the son back but to find his soul. Everything went towards soul research, trying to see where the son had gone. It's kinda weird though to take that idea in step with Sagani's story...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Time limits are good when they are consistent. poo poo like Mass Effect 2's time limit was complete poo poo because the entire rest of the game and the entire rest of the franchise operated on Hollywood logic where time limits are set constantly by the story or specific events but never actually progress until you decide to tackle them - at which point you always solve the problem just before the time limit runs out.

If it's made clear that the time limits a game sets are actual limits and it completely refrains from using Hollywood logic it can work really well. Republic Commando is a great example of that - they've got a "this ship is going to explode in 3 minutes! Hurry to the exit!" section which doesn't fudge the time limit at all. It's tense and exciting (and kills most people the first time because they expect Call of Duty Hollywood logic).

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Imo a better solution would be to scale the amount of experience you can receive from side quests by your level/amount of XP you require per level so that higher level characters do not receive the same rewards from doing low level quests as they do higher level ones. That way you can go through the entirety of Act 1 and 2's content but not be massively overpowered, but skimp by only doing the bare minimum and still be in the level target.

That would ruin their "homage" to IE games. If you are solo or doing a completionist style run you will always end up slightly or massively overleveled for the content.

Honestly its not a big deal and the reason its possible to get too much XP is simply because most players aren't anal-retentive "look up every quest online and plan out how to do as many optional quests as possible" style players.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Is there a difference in weapons you see at the beginning (like, sword) that have been enchanted to the max and weapons you find at the end of the game?

Is it a useful tactic to have a person use a 1-h weapon with no shield? Does that accuracy bonus actually do anything

Are there any other armor types that you don't see relatively early-- (breastplate, brigandine, plate armor, etc.)? I want my group to look pretty much how they're going to at the end of the game.

There isn't a difference, no. You can enchant the weapons you find right at the start to be "fine" or whatever and then it's just the same as a "fine" one you find.

I'd probably say no, I can't think of a place in the game where it'd make enough difference.

Again I'd say no. I think you could do it, maybe, but there's a lot of fights that without a Priest you'd find it really rough. People have beaten the game as a single Rogue though.

Not really, by the time you're half way through act 1 you've probably seen all available armour types and when you reach Defiance Bay you definitely have.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Stokes posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach the shade battles in the Eothan temple in Gilded Vale. I have a 4th Level Goldpact Knight Orlan Paladin, 3rd level Elf Chanter, 4th level Eder, 4th level Durance, and 4th level Aloth. I feel that the bigger battle is fighting the absolutely terrible engagement mechanic as they teleport around and spawn even more shadows that end up just wrecking me. I'm playing on hard, but even then this just doesn't seem like a very fair fight. Anyone have any tips?
Put all your guys in decent armor. I think Scale Armor gives extra Freeze DR, so that would be useful.
Target Fortitude and Will defenses if you can, and use Fire damage.
Try to lower the Shades' Deflection. Blinding them (Aloth might have something for that) or using Durance's Halt spell should work.
Use consumables, even if it just means force-feeding everyone pie and getting them drunk.
I think you pick up some fire traps in that dungeon, too, so maybe use those.
If your Chanter has the Hel Hyraf invocation, that would also help.

Basically, the thing about Shades is that they have high Deflection and DR, but not a lot of Endurance, so if you can lower or get through their defenses, they won't be around for long.

jerichojx posted:

Seriously, I have gone three games without seeing the Gloves of Manipulation again but thanks for outfitting everyone in my team with Bracers of +10 Deflection
I got three Rings of Overseeing in Act I. Not gonna complain, but random loot does silly things sometimes.

The Sharmat posted:

Endgame spoiler regarding Pallegina For being on the surface the most benevolent of the Gods, Hylea sure is a giant bitch. If you take her conversation with Pallegina at face value, she basically deliberately chose to make her this way because Pallegina would hate it, and Hylea likes her angry.
Didn't she pretty much say "You're beautiful when you're angry." in only slightly different words?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I believe most equipment remains the same, you just find stuff with more initial enchantments already on. I think plate is the latest armor you get access to, and you get that fairly early.

1-hand only is hard to justify. 2 weapon or two-handed increase your DPS way more unless you are missing all the time (maybe 1 handed is the PotD secret devs don't want us to know about)

A no caster group probably works on lower difficulties. Paladins can do some healing, chanters have some CC. But honestly you'll miss the CC badly.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Grieving Mother, Pallegina, Durance, and Aloth all have fairly easy to blunder into Bad Ends. Pallegina especially.

It's not a knock on Obsidian, I like that failing to actually understand your party members typically turns out how you'd expect

What do you mean by failing to actually understand them? As far as I can tell, Durance's bad end comes from not convincing him that Magran conspired with Woedica, which doesn't really seem like a case of not understanding him (unless you don't do it in order to spare his feelings or something, I guess?). Pallegina's bad end seems to come from letting her do the right thing instead of her duty, which, again, doesn't seem like a failure to understand her. And Grieving Mother's just comes from being a utilitarian or something. :v:

I'm not really sure what leads to Aloth's bad end (I got what seems to me to be a good one by doing the obvious "nice" things).

2house2fly posted:

I disagree, though. She makes a pretty convincing case that what she did was reasonable. She has an extremely utilitarian worldview, and she's consistent enough with it that she is willing to let you do the same thing to her. Honestly, I felt like her bad end comes out of nowhere and doesn't make a lot of sense. It was one of the two that bothered me in my playthrough (even Kana got a better ending, and I didn't even finish his quest because I got bored with the Endless Paths and wanted to see the end of the game).

The other one that bothered was Sagani's. As far as I can tell, she got a bad ending because I let her make up her own mind about what's important in life. Which brings me to a greater problem I have with the companions' stories: it seems like in most cases, if you want the "better" ending you need to impose your will on your companions - without you, they will all make the wrong choices in life. If you let Sagani or Pallegina or Grieving Mother make up their own minds about what they want, they will gently caress up and ruin their lives (although at least in Pallegina's case it feels "fair" because both she and you can see it coming). This might be true in other cases, too, but I'm not completely sure.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fish Fry Andy posted:

When you did one specific mission in ME2 it started a 'time limit' before you went on to do the final mission sequence. IIRC you had time to do one mission before continuing on and still save the entire crew. Of course, none of the rest of the game was timed so even without knowing about it beforehand, as long as you did everything you could before doing the trigger mission (which is very heavily telegraphed as 'hey when we do this poo poo's gonna get real and there's no turning back') you could do literally everything in game, save the entire crew, and be the Big drat Hero.

ME2's 'time limit' is both bogus and pretty much irrelevant.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The Sharmat posted:

Endgame spoiler regarding Pallegina For being on the surface the most benevolent of the Gods, Hylea sure is a giant bitch. If you take her conversation with Pallegina at face value, she basically deliberately chose to make her this way because Pallegina would hate it, and Hylea likes her angry.

Eh what I got out of it was Pallegina was asking why she didn't earn Hylea's protection, and Hylea felt that Pallegina was strong enough that she didn't need it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

While it's not "ambushing" per se, I got plenty of unpleasant surprises along the lines of sneak attacking a forest lurker and suddenly a couple of other lurkers and a pwgra come lumbering out of the fog of war to own me.

Perc would probably be a more valued statistic if past 10 it seriously cut back the fog of war :v:

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This needs to be a mindset more of the time. Oh hello Starbound :saddowns:

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You go the entire time with no time limits, except for that ONE time they give you a time limit and punish you for playing like you have the entire game up to that point. But no, you're clearly the problem because you did one more sidequest than "Oh, NOW Legion wants to do his sidequest, great timing rear end in a top hat".

DatonKallandor posted:

Time limits are good when they are consistent. poo poo like Mass Effect 2's time limit was complete poo poo because the entire rest of the game and the entire rest of the franchise operated on Hollywood logic where time limits are set constantly by the story or specific events but never actually progress until you decide to tackle them - at which point you always solve the problem just before the time limit runs out.

I'm such a :spergin: for consistency in rules or mechanics and such things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Time limits in this game would suck because I'm sure everyone is doing what I do, which is just resting constantly to get Stronghold upgrades because there's no button that says "hang out and train and play cards for a few days guys".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

cool tree bro posted:

You realize that time plays no role in the ME2 outcomes at all?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The fate of your crew after they get Collector'd is based on how many sidequests you do after they're captured. The party members' fates aren't based on a time limit, no, but Kelly and those engineers and Doctor GILF or whatever were.

cool tree bro posted:

That would ruin their "homage" to IE games. If you are solo or doing a completionist style run you will always end up slightly or massively overleveled for the content.
A good point. And some people enjoy being massively overleveled by endgame. You just can't please everyone.

cool tree bro posted:

Honestly its not a big deal and the reason its possible to get too much XP is simply because most players aren't anal-retentive "look up every quest online and plan out how to do as many optional quests as possible" style players.
I never looked anything up. I just talked to as many people as possible and went into every building. I'm sure I missed stuff, and I know I didn't do everything that I accepted. There's just far, far more XP in the game than is needed to hit max level. Huge amounts more.

Viscardus posted:

Pallegina's bad end seems to come from letting her do the right thing instead of her duty, which, again, doesn't seem like a failure to understand her.
I'm not sure Pallegina's bad end is even really a "bad end". It's got good and bad aspects to it. And really it's not hard to imagine her being happier as a Kind Wayfarer than watching the Vailian Republics gently caress themselves in short sighted ways.

Viscardus posted:

The other one that bothered was Sagani's. As far as I can tell, she got a bad ending because I let her make up her own mind about what's important in life.
That's really weird, because I felt I did the same thing and her ending was mostly good for me. I think there's some subtle differences in dialogue choices here that make a lot of difference.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

Viscardus posted:

The other one that bothered was Sagani's. As far as I can tell, she got a bad ending because I let her make up her own mind about what's important in life. Which brings me to a greater problem I have with the companions' stories: it seems like in most cases, if you want the "better" ending you need to impose your will on your companions - without you, they will all make the wrong choices in life. If you let Sagani or Pallegina or Grieving Mother make up their own minds about what they want, they will gently caress up and ruin their lives (although at least in Pallegina's case it feels "fair" because both she and you can see it coming). This might be true in other cases, too, but I'm not completely sure.

Grieving Mother's storyline has plenty of warnings that let you see what course leads where, if you're paying attention. Pallegina, as you say, sees it coming for herself. Sagani... Telling Sagani 'I don't care' isn't saying 'You decide why it matters', it's saying 'what you were doing doesn't matter.' At which point she reacts exactly as you'd expect someone to react if they concluded a large chunk of their life and society was meaningless

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Wizard Styles posted:

Didn't she pretty much say "You're beautiful when you're angry." in only slightly different words?

Yeah more or less.

Scorchy posted:

Eh what I got out of it was Pallegina was asking why she didn't earn Hylea's protection, and Hylea felt that Pallegina was strong enough that she didn't need it.

I didn't get that out of it at all. It was very explicitly Why the gently caress do you people make us this way?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

You go the entire time with no time limits, except for that ONE time they give you a time limit and punish you for playing like you have the entire game up to that point. But no, you're clearly the problem because you did one more sidequest than "Oh, NOW Legion wants to do his sidequest, great timing rear end in a top hat".

It's hugely telegraphed that the Derelict Reaper mission is a point of no return, and even then they let you fit in two whole companion quests afterwards. I mean yeah they're kind of tricking their audience in a way, but it's an obvious trick and it's your fault for falling for it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

In certain cases yes. Specifically you get +12 accuracy when using a one handed weapon with nothing in your other hand. This is good for crit builds. My Rogue can crit about 66% of the time using a stiletto in one hand. This comes in handy because the "Spell Striking" ability activates on crits. In this case, Spell Striking: Jolting Touch which will also most likely crit due to my Rogue's increased base accuracy over a Wizard. This can kill 4 enemies at once on a lucky roll. The downside is that the Spell Striking only activates once per encounter. So I switch to two weapons for greater attack speed after the jolting touch procs typically.

Other weapons to consider besides spell striking weapons if you want to focus on crits are battleaxes and the sabre "Resolution" as they have higher crit damage multipliers. I haven't been able to find any but a one handed weapon with "prone on crit" would be pretty drat boss.

That said, the one-handed style talent is really bad as you're not going to be grazing due to the increased accuracy of using just 1 one-handed weapon anyway. They really need to re-think that and make it increase attack speed and/or deflection slightly, like a blend between two-weapon style and sword and shield style. Or just have it increase accuracy even more or something.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Broken Cog posted:

Sporelings on PotD hits hilariously hard. I'm liking this difficulty mode so far.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'm working on a more comprehensive solution, but napkin math, accuracy is really strong until your accuracy is 15 points higher than the targeted defense, to the point that 12 accuracy is competitive with, if not better than 2h damage. It also does mean longer average status durations. Anecdotally, I've had better success with single spears against Shades in early PotD than other setups.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

derra posted:

I'm working on a more comprehensive solution, but napkin math, accuracy is really strong until your accuracy is 15 points higher than the targeted defense, to the point that 12 accuracy is competitive with, if not better than 2h damage. It also does mean longer average status durations. Anecdotally, I've had better success with single spears against Shades in early PotD than other setups.

Yeah One-Handed-No-Shield is a really nice approach since Accuracy is so central to everything. It's just a bummer that the actual specialization for it is so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

AngryBooch posted:

In certain cases yes. Specifically you get +12 accuracy when using a one handed weapon with nothing in your other hand. This is good for crit builds. My Rogue can crit about 66% of the time using a stiletto in one hand. This comes in handy because the "Spell Striking" ability activates on crits. In this case, Spell Striking: Jolting Touch which will also most likely crit due to my Rogue's increased base accuracy over a Wizard. This can kill 4 enemies at once on a lucky roll. The downside is that the Spell Striking only activates once per encounter. So I switch to two weapons for greater attack speed after the jolting touch procs typically.

Other weapons to consider besides spell striking weapons if you want to focus on crits are battleaxes and the sabre "Resolution" as they have higher crit damage multipliers. I haven't been able to find any but a one handed weapon with "prone on crit" would be pretty drat boss.

That said, the one-handed style talent is really bad as you're not going to be grazing due to the increased accuracy of using just 1 one-handed weapon anyway. They really need to re-think that and make it increase attack speed and/or deflection slightly, like a blend between two-weapon style and sword and shield style. Or just have it increase accuracy even more or something.

Cladhaliath can be stun on crit, and that's a 1h spear. Otherwise... 2handers or ranged, I think.

• Locked thread