Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I've been watching a lot of Lucha Underground lately and am I wrong in thinking that Angelico would be a massive, massive star for the WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

rovert posted:

People on Twitter were fantasy booking him as Drago vs Gable's Rocky

That'd make a ton of sense. Btw Rovert, got any scoops about other indy guys on NXT's radar?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

The_Rob posted:

In what way is it weird? Jordan throws a dude at gable and he catches him and slams him.

It's actually the perfect tag finisher, because it looks crazy and dangerous and is also probably the safest move in the company.

The name's pretty brilliant too. A grand amplitude throw in FILA rules results in a tech fall, which automatically wins you the round (so it's literally a finishing move).

Atticus Finch posted:

I hope the Vaudevillains get a female manager soon. Specifically, Blue Pants.

Blue Pantaloons?

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 30, 2015

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

Fandango did actually have a finisher based on a a swinging reverse STO at one point but had to drop it when they brought up Bray Wyatt as it too closely resembled the Sister Abigail

Fandango should use The Rainmaker except use some kind of dancing twirl to set it up.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

That DICK! posted:

Wanna see that runway

It's less a runway and more a slide.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Retromancer posted:

when it's 30 minutes it just makes you wonder why they wouldn't just have a long 30 minute regular match instead of trading falls after 5 minutes like they always do in Ironman matches.

I think it's because Ironman Matches tend to be done only by the best in-ring performers in the company. They wouldn't trust that much time to anyone else so it's a big deal that two women are getting to do it.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Padje posted:

I feel like she's had more matches than she's watched.

I wonder about that with a lot of the non-Indy wrestlers that WWE hires. I feel like a lot of them have a clock in, clock out mentality where they have their matches, go to the shows, and never think about wrestling otherwise. You can kind of see it in their in-ring work - really uninspired and lacking any sort of creative spark that says "I've watched a lot of wrestling and this is how I'm going to bring something new to the table." Pretty much every good wrestler I can think of was a fan of the sport and would watch everything they could get their hands on in their free time. Was there anyone good who didn't have that approach and saw wrestling as a job rather than their passion?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Depending on how you view Brock Lesnar, you could make the argument that he has this mentality. He certainly has the drive to be the best, but that is true of any athletic endeavor for him. I doubt he has an NJPW World subscription to catch up on matches he missed. Angle had also never watched wrestling until he got into it, but he obviously became addicted.

I think you're right on about that, it's probably Brock.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I haven't seen much of his work but Ciampa doesn't really seem like he brings all that much to the table besides your standard indie stiffness and intensity. What's so good about him?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's unclear. When the tapings they wrestled on happened the rumor was that they weren't offered developmental contracts but that NXT was potentially interested in bringing them in for multiple appearances as 'name' jobbers like Leva. We'll see what happens when they start taping TV after Takeover, I guess. I know Ciampa's in Europe right now, not sure if he'll be back in time to be at Full Sail when they start taping again.

Does this mean that NXT is going to start putting indie workers' tryouts on NXT TV instead of having them work dark matches?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

jred250 posted:

Eva Marie can totally be a star in the WWE, her biggest problem is that they keep booking her as a face. She is such a natural heat magnet. They should totally pair her with someone, and make her gimmick "terrible wrestler who wins by cheating". Can you imagine the heat if she goes over Bayley as a heel?

Yeah, perfect opposites always make for the best rivals (Rock/Austin, Bret/Shawn) and Bayley/Eva Marie could totally have that dynamic. The matches themselves would probably be subpar but character-wise, it works really well.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

MrBling posted:

And Crews desperately needs a better finisher. The standing moonsault looks impressive in the athletics but not really all that forceful. Give him a powerbomb variation, let him throw people around a bit.

So like the powerbomb variation he used as his finisher last night?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

VoLaTiLe posted:

I really want them to do a segment with Dana in bandages due to the beating she recieved from Kana, however despite insane pain Dana still managed to force her bandaged arm up to tap the interviewer on her head

She should call whoever's doing backstage interviews Devin and keep on patting her head.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Rovert - how did they let Nia Jax go out there looking like that? Somebody must've noticed how awful that outfit was.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder if they are going to give Bayley a tag team to counter Blake and Murphy. Has she really interacted with anyone in the tag division?

I don't think she's ever interacted with Enzo and Cass but inserting them into the angle would give them something to do.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Now that I think about it, Izzy's parents being reluctant to have their 8 year old daughter become a big presence on a wrestling show actually shows that they know what they're doing. It's only a matter of time until someone tries to put her through a table at this rate. The #1 rule of wrestling is that the worst things always happen to the most beloved and innocent people.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

That EVOLVE article makes it look like it's the hottest poo poo in indy wrestling and makes it look like all these huge stars got their start there.

So I'm going to the Evolve show on Saturday, what's it like? I really liked mid-2000 era ROH, is it similar to that? And why hasn't Evolve blown up in the same way as ROH?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

oatgan posted:

Evolve doesn't have the money or personality ROH had in the mid 00's. The card this weekend looks pretty dang good but their problem has always been basement level production values. Evolve hasn't blown up because it's not filling any niche. They might if WWE makes efforts to promote them but who knows.

They also often take one loaded card and split it up over two or three shows on the same weekend because it's more cost effective which hurts the overall product but still produces a lot of fun matches if you can stomach paying for every show

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I'll try to keep my expectations down to a reasonable level, then. Although I'm betting that the talent knows that WWE officials will be watching the show so they're likely to pull out all the stops.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get the crossface chickenwing. I'm sure it actually does hurt if someone applied it to you but it just doesn't look painful at all.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Phenix Rising posted:

Alexa Bliss rules but I'm still mad they call her finisher Sparkle Splash instead of Glitter Bomb.

It needs a new heel name anyway.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

So I guess Peyton Royce's gimmick is flowers?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I love Apollo's theme. It's perfect for an exciting uber-athlete like him.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

rovert posted:

Rob Naylor tells the story that a running gag was Corbin coming up to Rob and saying "hey me and you really need to watch some indie tapes and so I can come up with a cool finish that the internet would like" with obviously no intention of doing so. Stuff like that.

Why wouldn't someone in developmental want to watch tape and try to learn? Joking around about how you want to get better at your job and then not doing it seems more like a joke on yourself.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

They are rapidly catching up to the reDRagon on my favorites list and that is now my dream match.

Holy poo poo, that match would be amazing.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

So all the interactions between wrestlers are real, then? That conversation between Breeze and Jordan seemed kinda weird.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

AMReese posted:

According to the Wrestling Observer, WWE didn't like the announcement of a second season of Lucha Underground, because they really want Ricochet and Angelico along with one other unnamed wrestler. WO even says there was talk in WWE of even fast-tracking Ricochet to matches against Finn, but it seems that 7 year contract with LU is standing in their way.

I really hope that the unnamed wrestler is Pentagon Jr. WWE has to see the piles of money they could make with him.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Phenix Rising posted:

Gotch could totally have growth. He could ride out the 1920s Strongman thing real hard, then slowly get introduced to more modern forms of exercise. It'd be like a reverse Bull-Fit; Gotch in his old-timey gear doing crossfit or a tough mudder marathon or something. I mean, it's not a TON of growth character-wise but it'd be an easy way to get him out of the 1920s Strongman gimmick if they chose to do so.

Gotch could track the progression of pro wrestling through history. He's an old-timey carnival wrestler now, he could become a Gorgeous George flamboyant wrestler, then a hard-nosed Bruno Sammartino type, all the way through the cartoony 80s and Attitude era late 90s.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

That DICK! posted:

And then the best part; Simon Gotch, Wrestler from the Year 2929

His finisher can be the Moonbasesault

sticklefifer posted:

And then he'd adopt Ruthless Aggression, but then midway through he'd go all PG.

After that, he'll become like Toru Yano but shilling for Network subscriptions instead of DVDs.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Elias Samson should have a reverse Jeff Jarrett gimmick where he's too poor to afford another guitar and tries to keep his opponents from smashing it.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

If The Boogeyman trains Balor on how the Demon should act he'd get over huge. Especially if he only pulls it out every once in a while instead of every PPV. I can't imagine what else the WWE are going to do with the loving Boogeyman on payroll. Right now it's just a drat shame that all the hype over the Demon is kinda moot once the bell rings because he doesn't act any differently.

Right now, Finn wrestles as a Technician/High Flyer. He should become a Brawler/High Flyer when he's the Demon. No submission holds or grappling, just striking and high impact moves.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

alternatively, he could wrestle the same because it's just loving body paint

If Finn's going to go through the trouble of putting on the paint, it should actually matter somehow. Even if it's just dialing up the aggression, why not try to make things more interesting or special for big matches?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Go RV! posted:

I feel like there's some disconnect in how we see the Demon. I'm hoping the Demon is an actual being/alter ego inside of Balor, instead of just being head games facepaint. That's so much more fun than Guy Who Cosplays.

Then again, I'm the guy who marked out when Bray ate souls and shot lightning and poo poo, though.

I agree with no grappling, but submission moves with angry face and crazy eyes would be a great addition if done well. Not headlocks or anything, but meaner looking submissions, like trying to rip someone's head off with a Camel Clutch-type hold or some such.

Yeah, that's a good point. In general, I feel like this argument over the Demon has to do with the divide between fans who like to completely buy in to ridiculous kayfabe and those who are too far down the smark rabbit hole to engage in wrestling with suspension of disbelief. I personally like it when wrestling gets as crazy and over the top as possible so the idea that Finn can put on body paint to unleash some inner demon is perfect for me but I get why someone who's more jaded would think it's dumb.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

soapgish posted:

Just have Finn sell a little less and after the stomp give a Bloody Sunday DDT to the opponent's carcass, something a little ruthless that shows that psychological aspect at work. Subtlety would be better than a whole separate moveset or being a different character.

What if he started doing the stomp to his opponent's face instead of the chest?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

The_Rob posted:

I really wanted to like bull fit,but man he is still just as boring in the ring as he ever was. At least now they aren't trying to make him a big name.

Yeah, he's gone back to not-worth-watching status for me.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

There has to be something to do with the nuclear heat the Eva Marie gets. What if she were pushed as the living embodiment of the WWE's historic mindset when it comes to Divas? Bayley needs to literally fight and beat the person who symbolizes the emphasis of looks over talent that work against her making it to the main roster.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Benne posted:

I have a better idea: Let Bayley have good matches with good wrestlers like she was doing before.

Just trying to find the silver lining.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

pressedbunny posted:

That's just standard company practice. Unless it's the The Gator Roll Designed To Disorientate Your Opponent, The P.T.O. The Paige Tap Out or She Calls That The Rear View, it is WWE commentary policy to not call a move name more than once a month.

They've stopped calling Gable and Jordan's finisher Grand Amplitude too, which is a shame because it's such a great name.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Now I really want to see a full bogan gimmick.

Bogans are Australian rednecks, right?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

AMReese posted:

You are correct. He hasn't wrestled again since.

I liked the match with Crowe and Neville against Jordan and Gable. It was a nice showing between the four. It's a shame his whiplash splash never seemed to be pulled off right, mostly because of people like Bull.

With that said, let's all enjoy Crowe's music for perhaps the last time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8KUF_l6Vw

How was it Bull's fault that Crowe's splash wasn't done right? Isn't it his opponent's job to just lie there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Fat Lowtax posted:

The last guy they had who could have moved the needle of their core business, they let go over an rear end Infection Dispute. Unless you're another normal-sized guy who's a world-class promo, or a tall guy who's a great promo, the company won't make more money off of you than they would off of Rocky Romero.

I wasn't really following the WWE too closely at the time, what was business like with Benoit as champion? He'd be the best example I can think of where the top guy is all workrate but negligible mic skills.

• Locked thread