Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

HUMAN FISH posted:

Any local goons around who could go to the hotel and measure how wide the hotel hallways and door frames are

Any crt bigger than 27 inches won't fit, and its total luck of the draw off your shower has curtains on it apparently.

This happens to this even way too often I think someone wants needs to be uncomfortable when they shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Moatman posted:

Is Medibot going to be there doing Jeffery? I remember him saying he'd try to get there but can't find confirmation

Jeffrey will be there, voice provided via Skype

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Swan Curry posted:

Is there going to be another GDQ Humble Bundle?

I have pretty good word there will be one, but that it might not be that great.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SectumSempra posted:

Now I'm curious as to what the longest game to speedrun is

Baten kaitos: eternal wings and the lost ocean 100%

360 hours, most of it spent waiting for an item to age to become another item

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Aurora posted:

that's not :mad:

the runner has complications that kept him from attending

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Yeah, superguns are amazing but pretty fragile, and you're pretty much hooking up legit arcade PCBs to them. Same reason the screen on Kevin's footage went dim. Something on the board or the supergun hosed up, and it's not like they have spares of either just lying around. Both are fairly finicky pieces of hardware, and superguns are custom made to user specifications so one might not have the same features, compatibility, or video outputs as the next five.

kevin's tupperware bin one was good but my favorite was the setup that was just parts strewn out on the table in the practice room, not a fire hazard at all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

raditts posted:

PS2, according to the schedule.

That's what console tech needs to have ready.

You run ps1 games on ps2 because fast disc speed loading times.

The real fast strat is on psp over psn but not many people do that.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

That's nuts because the entire event up to now mean mean was winning

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

TheMadMilkman posted:

The schedule is still holding up better than past marathons.

They started editing the schedule mid marathon so viewing it reflects when things will actually start.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Pomp posted:

i'm going to cry that there's no good acrobatic platformers anymore

i remember being excited about assassins creed because I thought it would be hitman+prince of persia

The people who made dustforce have a game in development hell called spire I think would interest you.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I'm glad you all enjoyed that

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Studio! :allears: Showing us that not all goons are mouthbreathing autistic shitlords.

Usedpizza who's playing a handful of games including samurai pizza cats earlier in the silly games block.

Also my run of Chester cheetah was in there

Basically goons held down silly games

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

In the past there has been a third party site that graphs viewers and donations over time.

Anyone know if that's running for this event/have the link?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I suspect NES open golf has just made the games list for AGDQ next year

Don't be so sure, everyone was super excited about the same thing six months ago but it didn't make it in this event, the one where traditionally you have a better shot at getting an oddball game in.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Doom 64

It uses a neutral reset glitch so he's running 200% speed the whole time

Just crank the gamma on your monitor for it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

CJ posted:

Why is no one watching it? I thought speedrun nerds loved watching this game? Or do they only care about getting close to Cosmo?

Don't let the apologists fool you it's literally just no one cares because it's not Cosmo.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

One of the donation goals met was for all achievements, I don't remember if it's set or random seed

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

NRVNQSR posted:

Are there actually any marathons at that scale nowadays? It seems like there's no middle ground between marathons at the massive ESA/GDQ level and marathons that are just held over skype.

Every once in a while stuff like that happens.

there is a con in Adelaide Australia that just happened where they had a stream up with runs and I helped organize one at a con here in Minnesota a couple months back. Lots of people I talk to in the community seem to be looking for more events like these and I just keep telling them to try and talk to con organizers so maybe we'll see more smaller frequent local events

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Mr E posted:

It's no EVO or any FGC event, that's for sure. I thought this GDQ had the least amount of bad compared to good, and was extremely well done overall. I'll miss it :(.

yeah, agdq14 I think was when people realized leaving a box full of games in the casual room the whole time and assuming just cause it had your name on it no one would take it was a bad idea.

though I've noticed so far in the lost and found thread on SDA for this anything high value reported as lost hasn't been found but they're flooded with tubes of chapstick and sunglasses

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mango sentinel posted:

SDA only accepts submissions run on original hardware :colbert:

SDA isn't a leaderboard for world records it's a collection of "high quality" recordings of games being played "skillfully and legitimately"

many communities stick to their rules regarding emulator, but many do not.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

flyboi posted:

Has anyone compiled statistics like from AGDQ w/ # of followers from a run, money donated, etc?

dunno if anyone's mined the follower data but if there is a runner you're interested in seeing you can use http://socialblade.com/twitch/

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

MVP posted:

I like the SGDQ videos with chat, please don't take them dow-

aw gently caress you guys

There's a browser plug-in called rechat that plays a log of the chat live next to a twitch vod. They don't last forever though so watch soon if you want to.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I had to download a chatlog to see if team crunchy or team puffs won my poll

it was puffs :(

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mods?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Captain Invictus posted:

So I completely missed out on SGDQ this year, had more important life stuff that needed doing. Is there a list of the must-watch stuff?

Excuse me, they're collectible action models.

if you liked the tetris exhibition 6 months ago but haven't dug too deep into other TGM players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaXPMcx2g0I

they had 2 of the top Japanese guys out this time around and they really showed just how much better japan is at everything.

then there's stuff like silly games, which people here seemed to like.

Hello kitty roller rescue
samurai pizza cats
Chester Cheetah: wild wild quest
Roundabout

I haven't seen it yet myself but I hear good things about how the runner handled some issues during Prince of Persia

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 20, 2015

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Serperoth posted:

And if you care about milestones, the 1 million mark was broken during SM64 (can't remember if it was the race or the 100% run, I want to say the race cause I stayed up for it, but I'm not sure)

it was during the 100% race

I actually was just thinking to myself "hey I forgot to check what the donation total was at" and looked up at the screen as they updated it to be over 1 million

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Have they put up the fixed audio versions on their YouTube page yet?

some of them have yeah, I think the last thing I saw was a fixed video feed version of tetris

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

LethalGeek posted:

I've always been under the impression Kevin is well aware as insanely good as he is that Japanese guy is a tetris God that we mortals can only stare at in awe.

yeah when I ran into him like 2 days later I was asking him about nerves and he pretty much said that he had pretty much accepted that he was on stage to provide English commentary for KAN and SQR

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Goddamn how do you go hiking and not want to shower afterward? That's like the best part, the steam and hot water healing your tired body.

but someone is playing video games fast, that is more important that basic bodily functions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder what the percentage of people who donated thought this was for cancer research.

I'm too lazy to check myself but the real humor is the people who manage to find their way onto the donation tracker for past events and donate to them instead.

• Locked thread