Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Why don't potions show up in NEI? Is there something changed about them for this pack? I know it's not complicated and I can use the minecraft wiki, but normally I would look up the ingredients in NEI instead. I got a brewing stand from that underwater infusion altar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm hung up on botania because it's not a janky piece of poo poo, unlike a fair amount of thaumcraft

Yeah I'm already getting thaumcraft fatigue because it's such a pain in the rear end with all the different essentia types. Seems like you'd need a million different farms and golems to automate it all. I should probably get AE2 going and look into using digital storage instead of jars (I'm assuming it's possible).

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm still really early game (i'm tunneling with a promethium pick looking for goodies mostly unsucessfully) and am dying constantly from getting stuck on blight for a few seconds longer than I intended, and my reputation is suffering. Is there anything that reduces blight damage? Because I can't do any of the scouting missions with the toxic grass everywhere, or dig in the big caverns with toxic rocks. Should I just keep dutifully stripmining directly below my biodome despite it seeming pretty much completely barren of ore? My strategy so far has been to tunnel randomly till I find a big cavern and I've gotten a bunch of elemental crystals which look like they're for thaumcraft, and some promethium, and a lot of high level ore I can't mine with a promethium pickaxe, but not much else.

You'll have to visit the other scouting locations to get different ores. Like oureclase is under the swamp. I basically just strip mined at the appropriate Y levels staying within the node/bloom protection area (use the biome overlay option on the map to see the exact bounds). If you read that green book labeled one it'll tell you where each ore is found in the world. To get through the tainted areas bring extra food and sprint & jump constantly. Use the water as much as possible (take the long way around using a boat to have a shorter sprint over land). Use the map 'M' to plan your route. Create a waypoint for where you want to go with 'B' (the scouting missions give you the coordinates). Once you make it to an area you'll be able to warp back there, just right-click the transporter to activate it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I want to build an osmotic enchanter. Can I get obsidian tiles without destroying the nodes inside them? Will capturing the node in a jar destroy the tile? Is there any reason to not destroy the nodes, as I already have a CV setup to recharge my wands? I suppose I can just leave the one next to alpha in case I need more brains.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Place 2 glass panes stacked on top of each other on the ocean floor to make places where you can refresh your air.

I just use a wooden door.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Taffer posted:

The only thing it's really valuable for if you have access to a number of totems and a purifying wand is cleaning nodes, which is a huge pain if that's your only goal.

This thing about cleaning tainted nodes has come up a few times. Is there a reason for cleaning a tainted node? I have an energized node now to recharge my wand, do I ever need to care about nodes in the wild any more? I figure I could just destroy tainted nodes as I come across them in areas I'm trying to clear.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Bhodi posted:

[screenshot required]

Any time i've tried to make a full-service alembic with with tubes and labels and one jar for each it's just been a hot, buggy mess.

it works fine when you have a single element in a production chain, but for a catch-all it's a really terrible solution.

I did some googling and found this imgur album which shows and explains how you can chain buffers. After looking at this, the golem seems way easier.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

There's a chance of the node losing a level when you bottle it, going from bright to normal, or normal to pale, or pale to fading. Happened to me with the messis node for CV, I ended up with only 4 CV instead of the expected 5, since a pale node loses 20%.

EDIT: whoops, late as usual.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Hey, how much in the way of stabilisation do I need to totally negate instability on the infusion altar?

You need -25 points I think. Candles give -0.1 so 250 candles. I have a room with 256 and so far I haven't seen any problem occur during infusion, even with dangerous ones.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I translated a book that said "BlightBuster". It says that it unlocked some research but I don't see anything new. Anyone know what it was?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are all the prerequisites for the chop core?

You need the axe of the stream, since it takes one to make a chop core. I had the same problem.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Ellieanna posted:

You can cut around the tree to find the piece of wood with the node in it (it has a different look) then you can use your wand on the tree to drain the vis. Make sure to have the research so you don't destroy the node. Otherwise the blight will consume the tree.

All of the pure silverwoods at the teleporter beacons only have like 3 or 4 vis and aren't even worth trying to drain. There's plenty of nodes in the water south of the swamp for everything except ordo, and there's some naturally generated pure silverwoods in the silverwood forest that have decent amounts of ordo. Those were my two stops for vis until I set up an energized node.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I spent a lot of my day Sunday setting this up. 3 labeled jars (one void) for each of the 52 aspects, on bleachers so the golem can reach them all.

I felt like going the pure thaumcraft route just for "fun", but now I feel like tearing it down and doing AE2 instead.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Edminster posted:

It's ridiculous how fast those things dissolve!

I think it remembers the countdown time permanently and resumes whenever you have one in your inventory. Like you have 15 seconds between each dissolve, but it doesn't reset, so sometimes the countdown is at 0.1 seconds, so as soon as you pick something up it dissolves. But then you'll have 15 seconds of buffer before it happens again.

Travic posted:

I'm playing whack-a-mole with taint inside my clear area. I'm assuming I spread too fast to let the blooms clear everything, but the ground was perfectly clear when I moved the blooms up. How do I know when they've cleaned the entire area from bedrock up?

I use the biome overlay on the map (press 'm' then go into options and set biome overlay to solid). It's easy to see any spots of taint and you can clean it with the purity focus before moving the blooms.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Where's the best place to find order shards? I need a lot if I'm going to make a bunch of totems...

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Eschers Basement posted:

Also got my airship together and, man is I disappointing. I thought I could at least bring a chest along, but nope, it turns your setup into one big block you can't interact with anymore. All my extra trim and furnishing actually made the stupid thing harder to use, because you can't get onto it anymore. :(

You can press the '\' key (default binding) to turn the ship back into blocks. Works in mid-air too. The contents of the chest seem to be saved, and it's safer than using shift in mid-air which usually makes me fall through the floor.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

They're suffering durability damage from you getting hit more than a blackjack player facing a pair of 2s. You either need to make a new pair, enchant them with Repair, or craft them into a manasteel/elementium/terrasteel helmet (which can then repair from mana in your inventory.)

There's also a repair device in thaumic tinkerer that repairs anything using instrumentum essentia.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Is it just me or does the wither skull infusion cost way too much essentia? Especially considering you'd normally want 3 of them.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Hell, I can't even get an open crate configured right to automatically keep endoflames fed.

I didn't understand the open crate either, so I just used a vanilla dropper instead, with a botania floating hourglass for timing the drops.

Edit: RE annoying Thaumcraft, why can't I have a lamp of growth fed from underneath without leaving a gap where wood/saplings fall through? OF COURSE covers don't work with essentia tubes...

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Carsius posted:

Is the fluiduct-smeltery interaction disabled? I can't seem to get it to work.

You probably need a servo (not pneumatic servo, just plain servo).

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

BlondRobin posted:

Thanks! I found what looks to be the thing under /crash-reports/, but if that isn't right, I also uploaded latest.log from /logs/.

crash report(?)

log(?)

Looks like it's being triggered by auto-crafting. Did you recently set up a new crafting job or do you know what crafting jobs may have been running?

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

The bug is that something was interacting with the fake player, could it be that thaumium ingots generate flux and TC was trying to give the fake player some flux or aspects?

I tend to lose my discoveries (the unlocked pages in book 1) and have to re-discover them often. So my guess is that's what happened, he lost the thaumium discovery and the next autocrafted thaumium ingot led to the crash as it tried to send the discovery message.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

:words: about clearing taint

I agree, since I'm at that point myself. Overall, it's just tedious and not really that fun. Mostly I'm just waiting around while the machines do the work.

IMO, the end game taint clearing should be some kind of super-structure instead. Similar to how a blood altar is built with key blocks in certain positions, but bigger. Use end game blocks from each mod so they aren't mostly optional (though still optional if you'd rather use lower tech methods of taint clearing). It's Minecraft, make me build something.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Won't passive mobs not spawn if there's already a certain amount of other ones in nearby chunks? Maybe an underground room full of animals will stop them spawning on the surface.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

It's called dislocation focus. Should be under thaumic tinkerer, locked behind some of the other focus in there.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Travic posted:

On a side note: As clean and efficient as the Automatic Alchemy is those pipes sure do suck. It keeps randomly failing to draw from connected jars. It'll run fine for a few items then stall and I'll have to shuffle around bottles.

Make sure your pipes don't cross. It should be one pipe to each bottle. Right click connections between pipes with a wand to remove them. There's enough connection points for 6 bottles.

pre:
╔═X═╗
║╔X╗║
░░X░░

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

BlondRobin posted:

Also, for what it's worth, I don't really mine efficiently; I turn on some music, usually some kind of electronic music and hammer a hole in a wall for a few hours, turning occasionally to make sure I stay in the biome. I end up with tons of random ores, but nothing of one specific kind, so I maybe got more Yellorium than most people would. I like mining :blush: It's relaxing!

For some reason I like mining also. I try to do it efficiently though, and use this pattern I found a while back. It's nice because you basically expand outward in a radius from the center. Anyway, doing this pattern around Y=11 I find plenty of yellorium. Then I use rich slag to triple it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I can't believe people are manually clearing taint like that. The Dawn Machines aren't perfect, but it's still better than using a wand. You can clear an area, fix all the animals/nodes, and suck up all the goo in one fell swoop. Usually I only need to refill the aer/ordo jars after each move too.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Wither was easy, I just summoned him in a tiny 3x3x3 room, charged him with a sword with the vampire enchant and he was dead in like 10 seconds.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Travic posted:

Reloaded the game and it works. Who knows.

Now that I have it filling how do I move it's power around? Is there a certain pipe I use to transfer the flux around to power my poo poo? I saw that there were advanced versions of all the machines I used (basic, hardened, resonant). Are they worth it?

I find it hilarious by the way that getting just the Power Cell was more complicated than the entire rest of the Botania setup.

You move power around with fluxducts. There's also itemduct and fluiduct for moving those things. So just remember "duct".

Upgrading machines makes them hold more power and I think work faster. It also opens up more augment slots which allow you to customize them. For example, the pulverizer can be augmented to have a higher chance of bonus secondary outputs. The augments usually require a specific level of machine. One thing that might not be obvious is that you can always upgrade machines later without having to build a whole new one. The recipe is the same as the next level frame, but with the machine in the center.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

blackflare posted:

It's been running for about 8 hours in the background now, and eaten up like, 50? buckets of lava, at least. Is this intentional? I'm just gonna go make a magma crucible I guess but jesus.

Yeah it's intentional and it will never finish because lava isn't hot enough to melt it. You have to use blazing pyrotheum as a fuel instead, which gets much hotter.

NEI actually shows the temp required to melt stuff, though I'm not sure what the max temp of lava is.

Yeah, magma crucible is much better. Is there any reason to use a smeltery over the MFR machines? I guess it could be quicker if you have a huge amount of stuff to melt.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Everybody says it but I have not had one yet, and I just try from time to time. I am getting to end game automation here. I should not be stuck with bad luck with the RNG at this point.

Blue slimes should be spawning all over the place on the surface. Go boating/flying around and check the beaches. I used to see them everywhere in the pre-energized node days when I was boating around for nodes. Maybe try catching one and auto-spawning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

My personal pool? I hope that isnt the blood altar as ive left it back in the tower.

Will use it while equiped tomorrow.

Also need to start working on a self sustaining power source using flowers. Not exactly sure how to do it, but will re-read the first few pages.

Make a divination sigil, if you right click in the air with that it will tell you how much LP is in your personal pool. You can add to your pool by right-clicking with the orb, which damages you and adds to your pool. You can also drain LP from an altar into your pool by putting the blood orb in the altar. This is useful later on when you have the ritual that damages mobs to fill the altar.

• Locked thread