Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

I was thinking of doing an LP (my first ever) of this game, but you beat me to it.

There's no rule that multiple people can't do LPs of the same game. We've got how many Final Fantasy 6 LPs in the archive now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, not even Etrian Odyssey has dangerous sunflowers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Oh, this is gonna be bullshit isn't it? Look at how cute and soft and gentle everything is and then we walk in on Toriel eating someone's corpse or something.

What are are possibilities here?

1. Flowey was just lying and he's the only rear end in a top hat in the game.
2. Flowey was telling the truth and Toriel is just playing the long game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who would you say is the mascot of this game?

:shittydog:

:shittypop:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know you're a special kind of evil when you manage to damage even Papyrus' love for puzzles.
Oh, and let's not forget killing him even as he tried to have mercy on you, a relentless killer with your hands dirty of the dust of his fellow monsters! That's pretty evil too.

Hopefully it gets washed off in Waterfall because yeesh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Revolutionary Fish Udyna.

Also you can stop a genocide run anytime you want.

You don't have to keep coming back to the thread. You could walk away and unbookmark it at any time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

At least they finally provided you with an actual challenge. I was getting afraid that genocide was going to be nothing but killing things that wouldn't fight back.

Or worse, Jerry. Just Jerry over and over and over again, dozens and dozens and dozens of Jerry's forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, we've made it to a new page, quick, lock the thread again while you make a new update before people rush to spoil everything again!

If not, can someone explain the attack and defense for me? Does it just stick around in parentheses instead of adding itself to the total amount to show that's what the armor is adding?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

When it says X (Y), X is the value from your LV, and Y is the value from your gear. They add together, probably.

Yeah, the fact that the numbers were separate instead of combining was what was confusing me, thanks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seeing Sans now, I'm able to freely say that I'm a bit miffed at how he was generally ineffective when Flowey abushed everyone on the True Pacifist run.

That and Undyne showing up without her armor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I did only say a bit miffed. You'd think they'd be able to do more than deflect a single attack each considering how much time they had to hype you up, after all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheMcD posted:

What the hell would you fight Chara with? Frisk has been completely taken over. You have nothing. At all.

We'll beat them with the same tools we've used to beat all the strongest monsters in the game.

*FLIRT

edit: source link.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 6, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AweStriker posted:

That artist doesn't really want their stuff reposted without permission, so source link.

I'm glad you picked up the slack because I didn't know where it came from.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is pretty adorable, even though Chara is a soulless monster.

Wait, now I'm confused, is Chara or Frisk the evil one?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tengames posted:

im pretty sure killing everyone and destroying reality is bad.

Flowey begging, every chance to spare a boss, every attempt to guilt you into stopping, the entire message of the genocide run is you don't need to do this.There is no achivements, no rewards, stats are meaningless etc. And in the end, even if you stop a genocide run midway or see it to it's conclusion , the message is the same: you've done all you need to in this game, its time to move on to the next one.

Doesn't really work too well when there's still different content by playing the game that way. :v: Plus, you didn't need to do that applies to a lot of entertainment in general though so I feel that's a pretty poor argument.

Asgore X Crushing Loneliness OTP 5ever

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

It's different here, though, you have to actively make the conscious choice to go down the Genocide path, and you have to continue to make that choice. There are alternatives available--many alternatives. It's unique to this medium, and it's where this game succeeds at what Spec Ops failed to do with it's one path.

Oh for sure. I'm just saying that if you want to discourage people from playing the game like that you should probably try by not giving them different content for them to experience by doing so. If it didn't change anything aside from how everyone dies and there was no Undyne the Undying and people running away from you and Papyrus still trying to fight you with his 'pull the rug out from under you bone attacks' People would probably quit by the end of Snowdin because there's no difference between the two aside from forty minutes of grinding on one part. Or, you could give them a choice with a timer of two weeks or something if you really want to discourage people from doing it. Or, even better, don't make the content in the first place!

Sentient Data posted:

I know it's probably hyperbole, but don't forget that real life also has different content if you go on a genocidal rampage

Let's not get started on real life because that thing has too much available content for any non-immortal to ever experience on their own.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Three things, first, not making the content in the first place is missing the point, just like not having the fight command would make having to choose to be pacifist a much weaker experience, not having a genocide route counter to the pacifist route would make that a weaker experience as well.

Second, honestly, if the game wants to teach that completionism is bad, it has to give that impression--there's nothing to learn if there's no adversity, et cetera.

Last thing, I'd posit that there isn't 'different content' in terms of the story. The Pacifist run tells a complete story, no real loose ends. The stuff you find out in the genocide route, ending aside, is superflous and could have easily been inferred.

1. How? How does releasing a form of gameplay and then going 'But I don't want anyone to play it' work in any respect? It may weaken the game sure, but I don't think that'd be unreasonable if the game was trying to say that violence is bad. It'd be heavy-handed though, sure. Like if the game had snipes towards you anytime you selected the Fight option and praise for whenever you went to Mercy.

2. So then there is a point to doing it after all?

3. What do you mean there isn't different content? You're literally doing the opposite of the pacifist playthrough and it rewards you with new bosses to fight and Disgaea-level outputs of damage as well. Even if it is superflous it's still more content.

ArcadePark posted:

Well, I mean the world was wiped out, you are locked of the game forever and have to sell your soul at the moment.

I'd say that's a pretty good impression of discouraging that completinist mindset. Not to mention, there is no 100% reward for completing the Genocide route.

It had some good fights and we got to get Flowey's full deal straight from him. And found out that despite however many times he's reset the world down here he can still find it himself to feel emotions depending on the circumstances. Fear of the player or sadness when kindness was offered and he realized it didn't make him feel anything.

And hey, they're all choices, the game did offer you the decision of selling your soul or not. If it really bothered you that much then you're free to go look up what people have datamined and delete the necessary files to restore the game to a clean slate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Good thread title change.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for the Tracer to have a Chara skin once Overwatch gets alternate costumes released.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I have to ask:

What?

my dad posted:

The gently caress?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The Undertale subreddit found something a few days ago.

my dad posted:

Word has an anagram, film at 11.

If you hadn't pointed it out I never would've got it. :downs:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

Since I've gotten a lot of PMs about it: No, I am not interested in inserting fanmade fake material into the LP and pretending it's real.

That's kind of a shame, but really, it's totally for the best. Fake final geno fight japery It's all legit up to ten minutes so skip there if you wanna.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 12, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

You should probably polsy that, or just not link it, for reasons.

If you think so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I've watched streams and for some reason a lot of people react to omega flowey by going straight up and running into where the bullets are coming from. It's really weird.

I see a lot of people's reactions to Toriel's fire sweep with her hands is to immediately get rid of that obnoxious 87% of the screen they have to dodge it by trapping themselves at the top. I don't get why.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Section Z posted:

I would assume because they don't expect so much tracking, so think dodging into the gap up top will give them more time to dodge because "They went towards the middle of the screen then rebounded back when I was in the middle" :pseudo: You're supposed to dodge between bullets so they try to dodge between them as early as possible... which, doesn't work out so great on that attack.

Now, when she only uses ONE hand? yeah that's dumb and silly :v:

My most favoritest favorite part of watching people play this game is when they get to Toriel. 'Oh well, there was nothing I could do, I guess you have to kill her.' They say, after hitting her 6-14 times depending on if they're using the toy knife or stick. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

This cute animation just got posted in the main thread. :3:

https://vine.co/v/e0IBx0T2aBY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jeek posted:

Will do. Actually would have done it earlier but I was busy making this stupid photoshop:

I'm a fan of this version.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

I just killed the bosses on my first playthrough.

I fought when I got new items and then I just reset. v:v:v Why not? The game already wanted you to kill Toriel and then feel guilty enough to fix that in the beginning.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I honestly think that one of the greatest achievements of this drat game is to make people so reluctant to hurt anyone that they can literally spend dozens of tries getting killed over and over rather than fight even when the game literally tells you that this is what you must do.

That and being scared to open presents.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Also, I think it's a play on "night night", the traditional farewell you give someone just before you leave them alone to let them go to sleep.

Whoa, hold on, are you saying the Good Morningstar is in fact connected to something too? :aaaaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I guess Chara/Prof is a bad guy after all. (I still have zero remorse for the monsters I killed.)

I'd say calling it self defense works less than usual in this case. Rather, I think you should call it a 'Feared for my life run'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

Who the gently caress looks for random encounters in RPGs? I avoid that poo poo like the plague. When I'm in a fight I don't run, but grinding is awful and anyone who likes it should get dunked on. Any game that encourages it belongs in the garbage, no need to elongate your 30 hour game jerks. :argh:

This is why I don't think you could feasibly come across the genocide run on accident for your first playthrough. The only game I can think of for looking for fights is TWEWY and even then you don't even have to trudge through them since the fights don't even happen till you hit a button and start tapping them [It's a DS game] to get into a battle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

H-HEY!!! NOW PILLOWS FROM THE COUCH!
HEY!!! NO ENTIRE COUCH!!

Is that right? Seems like it should be NO and NOT THE ENTIRE COUCH

[quote]
NOT ALL DOGS. JUST THAT ONE.

That should be Papyrus.

ProfessorProf posted:

So, this is the end of the LP... but there's still lots of Undertale left to see. That's why I'm opening the floor to you, the thread!

I will return in one week.

Oh, well crap.

Hey, what happens if you turn around before Sans tells you to?
Did we ever find that fourth frog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wasn't there a thing for killing Toriel like ~ten times in a row?

• Locked thread