Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Their global shipping program is really convenient for the US seller because he just has to send his defective poo poo to Kentucky and then ebay sends it to Canada at the buyer's expense for twice what it'd normally cost. It sucks for the US seller when that defective poo poo is mailed directly back to him and he gets assessed an import tax at his own border because the buyer refused to lie on the customs declaration.

The prize is a steaming poo poo, and everybody wins!

The Global Shipping Program is the dumbest thing they've ever done and is pretty much the main reason I don't waste money on poo poo while I'm drunk anymore.

It's a good thing for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's decreasing eBay's Canadian buyers.

extra stout posted:

anyway: in terms of cornering a niche market, etsy is a cool concept but also a loving joke, go pull it up right now and 3/4 of everything is chinese factory junk pretending to be part of the hand made community. so to sell on etsy you have to essentially attach your real life personality to it, make some awkward blog, and prove that you're really making the hello kitty christmas tree lights you're selling or people won't trust it

Etsy is great for handmade stuff at good prices (because the members are usually new and don't price their stuff as high as they should/could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

It unquestionably is because it's total garbage for us. The whole point of asking you guys to ship us things using only the USPS is to take a chance that the package could make it across the border without being assessed duties and brokerage; the GSP guarantees we always pay the highest possible combination of both.

Oh I'm Canadian, I meant "good for me" in the sense that even Drunk Professor Shark is still horrified by the ridiculous shipping prices.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's loving awful. A few US sellers who I thought were cool and I made deals with exchanged small talk with ended up banning canadian buyers because "too many complaints about shipping prices" after they refused to ever not use that awful system.

I used to buy a poo poo load of stuff on ebay, only got hit with customs once and it was because it was well over $200. But anything less, never.

I'm noticing that sellers are getting grumpy about Canadians the few and far between times I browse. Ebay really pushes the GSP on sellers in the US and tells them that it's great for them and their customers, and I guess sellers are blaming buyers when they get negative feedback because the buyer had to pay twice the amount for shipping instead of eBay and their dumb deal with UPS.

Most sellers I come across who use it have no problem relisting the auction without it, and I've done that a few times. One time the seller told me he would USPS it, but would be tacking on money for gas for the 17 min drive to the Post Office, I told him not to bother.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Well they were probably vintage. They age like a fine wine, ya know?

This seller has been trying to sell Ruehl clothing (Abercrombie's now defunct "adult" line, I occasionally buy old sweats or something because I liked the style when I was younger) for probably a decade at this point, and he still has some of the same stuff on there that he did when I first started looking because his prices are astronomical. I guess he's waiting for the resurgence of a brand that went out of business due to low sales?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

"PLEASE DON’T WASTE MY TIME BECAUSE I WOULD NOT WASTE YOURS"

*tries to sell a Nautica cap from 1992 for $30*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Nautica...0IAAOSwSdZWfCQ5

Nautica hat from '92 for $30 is a steal compared to this Polo Ralph Lauren bucket hat from 200x for $95

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At least with CS:GO items on the Marketplace you have people trying to prop up the value of one of their items by making their other, identical item x100%

People are really strange, and it's annoying how they'd rather let their stuff sit in a closet rather than juts take the money on the table.

I once got into a stupid argument with a similar seller and he told me that he didn't care how long it took, he was confident someone would buy his stuff for his ridiculous prices, and that he could wait for a competent buyer. He then banned me from bidding on his items, which I don't actually think he can do.

This all started because I tried to haggle, which really seemed to set him off. I'm guessing he encounters it a lot and has decided that everyone else is the problem.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

*The stupid fuckers that price their poo poo low and then charge the difference they discounted in shipping. So while you might find something at a good price for like 15 bucks, the shipping would be marked up to 60 bucks

If I think I'm going to get screwed on shipping I wait until after I've won the auction then send them a request for an invoice with the shipping estimates from the Can Post/ USPS sites, and if they get belligerent I tell them that I'm going to check how much it would have cost them to ship the package to me and if they padded it then I would say as much in their feedback and contact eBay

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

Global shipping sucks. What used to be $10 or less to ship is now $50. It's insane.

It's a really good example of why Privatized services are infinitely worse than Public ones. What USPS/ Canada Post does for $10 UPS can charge $Whatever-the-gently caress-we-want.

UPS is even shittier than USPS/CP in terms of delivery times, it's mind boggling how dumb it is

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope that UPS burns

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, I can't really complain using the USPS, everything's tracked well and deliveries are normally quick and on time with the estimation, except when they need to close another sorting center because Congress stuffed another stick up their rear end about them.

USPS is so inefficient, better close another sorting center! :shepface:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been trying to sell sweaters I don't wear anymore on eBay and all I'm getting are buyers who bid and then refuse to pay.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I was able to offload a shitload of stuff on eBay since posting itt for stupid prices, people are bad with money, including me, at least I was able to profit a bit

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shopping on eBay is sort of fun lately because sending people low-ball offers on over-priced poo poo drives anyone still dumb enough to sell on eBay loving insane in a lot of cases lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whenever I buy something from China with Free Shipping and it hasn't been delivered within 1 day of the estimated last delivery date I contact the seller and get whatever I bought for free.

I have a few belts for my girlfriend and "Google Cardboard" expected within a few days, and I'm ready to email and threaten negative feedback already

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think they all must be trying to improve their feedback. I've never had a package from China arrive on time, or even within a week of on time, so even the super low prices ($4, 4 cotton webbing belts my girlfriend wears, shipped free) is a-okay with them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark Top eBay Tip: Order as much paracord as you want, only do it in small, 25' shipments, which the Chinese give their lowest priority to and thus always miss shipping deadlines for, then file with them within a day or two of the last possible arrival date and threaten negative feedback.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Honestly it feels like that thing where anything free is inherently worthless... I guess I could use some paracord right now, maybe, but :effort:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I started just filming myself packing and sending my poo poo, the offer (warning) to send it to buyers/ Paypal seems enough

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

lol, I apologize that my error triggered you and exposed my ignorance. I'll make sure to proofread my posts from now on in the General Bullshit section of the Something Awful forums.

:smugdon:

Jesus dude just tell him to gently caress off

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I've always wondered why people do this. What do they get out of pretending to buy things?

The rush, then the horrifying realization they can't afford the item after buying so much other crap and their credit card bill minimum payments slowly increasing

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Ebay's great for finding odd poo poo, but you gotta wade through a lot of the sellers that want a huge payout because there's still a get rich quick stigma.

The idiots that are on there pretending they have a business instead of an online yard sale are terrible.

The dumbest thing I've seen recently was someone buying full-priced items from J Crew then selling them for an additional 20% or so. Those guys always get really angry when you make low/reasonable offers as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man I wish I worked at a pickle factory...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol nice, eBayers who think they have a store are basically Facebook Business Owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

In 2000 or so I emailed a guy an offer on a laptop and he sent back a screed about "THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!" and a bunch of poo poo like that. So I went into the IRC channel that I got my mp3s from at the time and asked them to go to their site and email in lowball offers on a laptop or two and the next day there was red text all over the site about THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!

lol this reminds me of the last time I went down to see the buskers: a guy who caught cabbages with a spiked helmet spent 5 minutes talking about how this was OLD SCHOOL, HONEST ENTERTAINMENT AND YOU WOULD SPEND $20 AT THE MOVIES SO WHY NOT $20 FOR MY STUPID 8 MINUTE ACT, 5 OF WHICH I SPEND TELLING YOU TO GIVE ME BILLS NO COINS!!!

I walked away without giving him anything

• Locked thread