Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galahan posted:

Boy this thread went south.

Like Sherman?

Honestly what did the south in is really obvious in hindsight. The south had the unfortunate occurance of having dr.doofus' ancestors dragging it's army down with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
im not sure if the south actually lost the war between the states, does anyone know for sure?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly what did the south in is really obvious in hindsight.

It was a breakdown in communication. Seriously, have you ever been down there? It's like they're mumbling through a mouthful of barbecue, totally oblivious to the fact that consonants and vowels are supposed to sound different. I'm pretty sure they all just pretend to understand each other, and half the time I think they're just yawning.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

gently caress the ROW posted:

im not sure if the south actually lost the war between the states, does anyone know for sure?

considering they take in more Federal dollars than they contribute, I'd say they won handily

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

considering they take in more Federal dollars than they contribute, I'd say they won handily

People from the South like to say they want a president who runs the country like a business

If the country were being run like a business, task #1 would be to downsize the South because that entire project is just a money pit

Like, preferably sell them (to Mexico perhaps???) but if that doesn't pan out we could just spin them off as an independent country with no formal ties to us so they can fail quietly without taking us with them

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of business and the South, didn't some auto manufacturers pull out of factory deals there because the workers couldn't understand the pictures and instructions for auto assembly. They brought down information from Canada to train the workers and they were so illiterate that they went to pictures and diagrams, and they STILL couldn't get it.

Just lol.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm not pro south, I'm anti genocide. I'm permanently commandeering avatars from posters who deliberately remain ignorant of what Sherman did to innocent people. To tell you the truth I didn't spend that money to hurt them, I spent it so no one would ever post a pro sherman thread again. The same white guilt which kept them from admitting the mans actions will keep them from praising him. And every step of the way Jastiger pisses on his heroes memory with the truth. It's beautiful.

I was not comparing you to the nazis, where did you get that? I was saying the "that was the times" excuse for genocide isn't an excuse at all.

Also the white race is the scum of the planet. That's just to get ahead of all the people who want to call me racist for objecting to massacres.

Buy me a Sherman av, thx

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sherman did nothing wrong

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

People who slaughter large numbers of innocent people are evil in my opinion. sherman did exactly that to the native americans. That's bad.

What strange times it is that this opinion is the outcast.

Sherman was one of the first modern generals who enacted truly industrial warfare - which includes strategically oriented actions against the enemy manufacturing and supply base - in short, against the civilian population. His only purpose was to wage this kind of warfare as efficiently as possible on behalf of his employers, believing the duty of the commander was to end a war swiftly and decisively, since the short period of brutality this represented was preferable to a prolonged, but less intense suffering (it's better to rip off a band aid than to peel it off slowly).

Unfortunately for him, Sherman did not see that his graduation into the realm of industrial warfare made him into a political figure with far reaching influence, and rejected any notion of considering politics or ethics when carrying out a mission - defeating the south or subjugating the Natives, Sherman saw it only as a job given to him by politicians to be carried out with greatest possible expediency.

He was like WWI generals who took it as their natural duty to create as efficient a killing machine out of their country as possible without really being invested in the politics that called for the killings in the first place. He was one of the early modern generals who were led towards a mercilessly scientific and utilitarian concept of war at a point when this science was just a theory with no empirical evidence of its practical effects.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 7, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The funny thing about the South seceding other than the fact that they got curb stomped by the North is that it gave the North an easier time passing legislation too because there were less Southern senators to cock block stuff while the war was going on

Doubly owned imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

The funny thing about the South seceding other than the fact that they got curb stomped by the North is that it gave the North an easier time passing legislation too because there were less Southern senators to cock block stuff while the war was going on

Doubly owned imo

I just got a really good idea applicable to modern politics

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Yesterday I said I would make another educational post for you, today. there isn't one. On my way to make the post i was heartlessly attacked by northern carpet baggers in a sickening industrial assault without mercy. I'm afraid to say the bastards reamed me out and crippled all my limbs. they even blamed me, the victim. What's my name? its Georgia

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
hosed up if true

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Klyith posted:

So why aren't you also speaking out against his favored tactics during the Civil War, which would be called war crimes today?

After all if you're gonna engage with whiggish history you'd best be fair about your retroactive historical judgements. The War of Northern Aggression was a military suppression of a peaceful, democratically decided split between two countries. Sherman deliberately made war against civilians, women and children, at a point in time where the end of the war was no longer in doubt. Please say this also was evil.
I'm not speaking about his march to the sea in this thread because it got discussed to death last thread and because whenever I do there's a knee jerk reaction of CRITICIZE UNION = LOVE CONFEDERACY = RACIST! I think most of the people in the thread know what I think about his war crimes, but talking about it goes against the narrative they've heard and they don't like that.

caleramaen posted:

I will give you this, you're at least arguing a defensible position this time. Sherman's attitudes towards the Native Americans were abhorrent. But this really doesn't have anything to do with why the south lost the civil war.
Very little in this thread has to do with why the south lost the civil war. The south lost because the north had far greater industry and a larger population. I'm here because I knew some praising shithead would bring that things name up sooner or later and I like degrading its memory with the truth. If no one praises it then I don't post.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

My first badge of honor! At least it's indicative of what the thing was.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 7, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mandator posted:

the south is aware. it's not a big deal, we just stick them in central florida. how else are we going to fill it?

you might want to pick up a newspaper because they've spilled over into a bunch of other states

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Slavery is bad and the people who died defending it deserved it. Just my opinion.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

Speaking of business and the South, didn't some auto manufacturers pull out of factory deals there because the workers couldn't understand the pictures and instructions for auto assembly. They brought down information from Canada to train the workers and they were so illiterate that they went to pictures and diagrams, and they STILL couldn't get it.

Just lol.

that was toyota opting to expand a plant in ontario instead of the one in alabama, and the pictorial line came from a pr rep from the toronto auto manufacturers association

the real story was it was cheaper to expand in ontario because canada has uhc. toyota makes most of their engines in the alabama plant

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah It was a union rep. Just double lol

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

RedMage129 posted:

Slavery is bad and the people who died defending it deserved it. Just my opinion.

Ban this sick filth.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

RedMage129 posted:

Even the children and the women and the elderly? Even those who voted against succession and opposed slavery? They were all caught up in shermans conflagration same as the evil slave holders.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Even the children and the women and the elderly? Even those who voted against succession and opposed slavery? They were all caught up in shermans conflagration same as the evil slave holders.

See my previous post. Mercy would have been more cruel than the carnage.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

Yeah It was a union rep. Just double lol

actually the funny part was alabama offered hundreds of millions in extra tax breaks on top of the like half billion they'd already given to get the huntsville plant built in the first place

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

See my previous post. Mercy would have been more cruel than the carnage.
I respectfully disagree, the south was on the ropes when sherman started his march. If he had fought men on the field instead of women at their homes I feel the war would have still been won for the north, and handily at that. You wanna buy the "It was monstrous terror brought against children and women but it was for the greater good so it was wonderful" you can but I find that view disgusting and it worries me that so many people don't. It's justifications like that which leads to more atrocities in the world.

But again that was talked to death last thread, this thread I'm sticking pretty much to his genocide of the rightful custodians of this continent.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
so what op?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
who would win in a fight erwin rommel or william tecumseh sherman?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Who would win a snowball fight? I think the south would lose, there is not nearly as much snow down there

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why does this confederate apologist have the idea that Shermans army was fighting pitched battles against women and children. Like wtf. Lol

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Is that all you got, naming me as a confederate apologist despite the fact that I've said nothing in favor of the confederacy in this thread or the last? Despite the fact that I think the white man is the worst race on the planet? This is not a console war Jastiger, me saying the union is responsible for atrocities does not mean I support the south. I would prefer if you argued in defense of your hero and his enormous crimes against humanity but you cant so you sling poo poo.

And yes, burning someones city down constitutes an act of extreme violence. That's what I mean when I say he was fighting women and children, he was burning their homes and stealing everything they had.

Do you have anything to say in favor of the Native American genocide? I bet you do.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 7, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Robert Lee was a diaper fetishist

now buy me a loving sherman avatar already

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Sherman stole everything they had, where did he put it. Did each soldier appropriate their homes? Somehow I don't think so. It's just so silly how many hoops you're willing to go through to demonize Sherman.

etwaesghre
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Against-Time-Life-Books-History/dp/0809478471

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
The best thing Sherman did was invent the tank

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

If you voted against secession and opposed slavery then you didn't die to defend slavery. Troll smarter. Also yes, adult women and old people who defended the ownership of other human beings are atrocious. I'll give you points for the kiddos because they are largely innocent.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

the rightful custodians of this continent.

So when are you moving to Canada? You know unless they're only the rightful custodians of this continent when a cool guy like Sherman is oppressing them, and it's a ok to live in the society founded on the indian's graves.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

FoolyCharged posted:

So when are you moving to Canada? You know unless they're only the rightful custodians of this continent when a cool guy like Sherman is oppressing them, and it's a ok to live in the society founded on the indian's graves.

I mean, Canada isn't much better w.r.t Natives.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Requesting fanart of Sherman as The Punisher dual-wielding colt walker revolvers.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

EorayMel posted:

Requesting fanart of Sherman as The Punisher dual-wielding colt walker revolvers.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Jastiger posted:

If Sherman stole everything they had, where did he put it. Did each soldier appropriate their homes? Somehow I don't think so. It's just so silly how many hoops you're willing to go through to demonize Sherman.
They ate the food and kept the valuables to sell. It is a historical fact that sherman participated (as a general, a leader) in the Native American genocide. This is not like his march to the sea where there's plausible deniability. You love a man who killed thousands of innocents. No matter what else he did, no matter the good his actions brought about, the fact that he killed thousands of innocent people ruins him as a good man, forever. You like him because you have an intense hate toward the south and because you had little idea the severity of his devastation or that he was a butcher in the Indian Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No I like him cuz he destroyed the south. The rest is bad, but what he symbolized is pretty kicking rad. And it passes off apologists.

• Locked thread