Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like the Punisher that shoots knives and the Punisher that becomes Frankenstein. That is the best Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I never read Frankencastle, but it looked sort of interesting and different. Given that I pretty well liked all of Remender's other Marvel stuff besides Uncanny Avengers vol 2, would you say it's worth picking up as someone who doesn't otherwise enjoy the character?

Yes. Most of his books that are set in the main MU since his return in Civil War have been enjoyable. That is my opinion though since the books are very comic booky and that is what I like in my comics.

Instead of buying them get Marvel Unlimited to see if you like it. They do have that special going on and usually have some free month trial somewhere.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, I might as well ask here I guess: up to where should I read Amazing Spider-man? I know Lee's run is good, and apparently Conway as well, Wolfman's solid too? do I keep going 'till the DeFalco run? all I know for sure is that Mackie is where it truly goes stale.

Read it all friend and become a True Believer. Excelsior! :spidey:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Howard Mackie is probably the only writer who's as much of a nadir of Spider-man as Dan Slott is. Which sucks, because some of his issues have amazing John Romita Jr. art.

He never wrote Amazing, did he?

Bryne wrote issues #13-14 of the relaunch.

Really it is read the entire original run, crap and all, Since the only really horrible stuff is the clone wars slog. The clone saga still pales in comparison to morlun, Gwen Stacey babies, and the other. I would add BND to the mix of things that are poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Are there still people out there who think the JMS run was bad? Crazy world we live in.

My opinion of it has lowered significantly since I have been diving into the original run on Marvel Unlimited.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So all the way to "Final Chapter"? I dunno if I want to go through the whole Clone Saga...

I'll get into the JMS run at some point for sure, I really want to see Peter's life as a teacher and stuff, but for now I want to focus on the original run with literally hundreds of issues before I tap out on Spidey for a bit.

I'll be honest the clone saga is a bit of a mess, but it has some good stuff scattered throughout.

The biggest thing you may find annoying is they so not have the complete Peter Parker, Spetacular Spider-Man run up yet and that ties into Amazing a couple of times.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, I guess that's fair, plus knowing the story behind it will help.

So outside of Mackie/Byrne after it gets rebooted there isn't really anything to avoid in the original run? just read the whole thing 'till it ends and hope that issues of the spin-off titles it connects to are also up?

I would say read it all. The biggest problem you will have is burn out so think of another series you will want to read. It really is astonishing to see how little of it was absolutely horrible story wise. Art can dip into eldritch horror territory during the '90s.

Also annuals are not all up yet, but the biggest annual stories are up so not much to worry about there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So you hated the Jenkin's run, jms, and brand new day? It was not good until Slott was the sole writer?

Jenkins never wrote on Amazing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he was talking about the entire spider-man line. I remember Jenkin's having a pretty good Peter Parker run.

If he is my mistakeThe other Spider-Mans are not completely up on MU yet and this started as Amazing chat:

Same with DD and Punisher. :arghfist:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MonsterWalk posted:

So, I'm thinking of jumping back into comics after taking a couple of years off (I stopped buying comics when Secret Warriors ended. (Goddamn, how good was Secret Warrirors?)) I have Marvel Unlimited and I'm catching up.

Generally, my tastes line up with BSS and I'm thinking of picking up 5 books a month. Any suggestions?

I haven't read any of the new stuff but from what I've gathered reading people's posts you want to pick up the Vision, Deadpool (Duggan written), and the three Avengers. Other good books seem to be the other two team books, captain Marvel, and lady Thor sure.

These are also the books i am eagerly awaiting to arrive in MU.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Plus SHIELD themselves are morally in the negative right now. They're not exactly GI Joe anymore. Suffice to say being a good guy is not sufficient reason for them to not gently caress with you. Hell, OG Nick Fury would have splattered Spider-Man's brains across Manhattan if not for a random gut instinct.

This was a stupid retcon. I wish Nick Fury would come back.

Is Fury Jr. even in any comics at the moment?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Does modern Thor still have the insane magnetic powers with Mjölnir?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Man, this is a nice cover.

Is this comic just a continuation of the old man Logan story?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Is the Punisher black now?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Superstring posted:

Goddamn, I didn't know blind people could use SA.

I'm sorry I see a Shemar Moore looking Punisher.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've been wondering as I read old silver age Marvel, did Stan Lee have a ghost writer? Or is it just coincidence that a lot of the books he was writer on improved significantly in '64 and 65?

Edit: I actually just answered my own question. The "marvel method" explains what happened. It seems Lee also became better at writing in general too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 10, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

By that point it's hard to tell if Stan was even involved with FF or Thor at all. Kirby's later work shows that he can follow Lee's style almost exactly. My favorite era of Thor, 160-169, you can tell that Stan only polished some dialogue because the plots are the sort of sci fi god stuff Kirby did when he went solo in the 70's.

I hate had a chance to dig into FF, Thor, Iron Man, or Hulk yet. I just noticed that Avengers and Spider-Man change in quality about the same time and it is just odd.

It looks like a combination of the "marvel method" and Lee becoming more hands on with the scripts. A lot of the early books he plotted, but had a scripters writing the comic. At least this is what I'm gathering from scanning wiki and a few articles. I'm in no way a marvel historian. So my first question is probably wrong from the beginning.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The original. Strange Tales is on Unlimited (#110's where Doc starts)

To add to this they have started putting up the 70's to 80's run too. Who knows if they will put it all up.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 13, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I can not wait for Avengers initiative/Academy 2.0 with a bunch of fun teen or young adult characters. I will be sad when it only runs for 20 some issues followed by Avengers Teen Deathmatch-Who Will Survive?

RIP Juston and Mettle.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Doom either has super cheesy, greasy pizza or artisanal pizza of the highest ingredients.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Doom eats pizza with a fork and knife.

Doom isn't that evil.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zoux posted:

This sorry son of bitch from r/marvel is trying to put together a reading order of every Marvel comic since 1998.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18NMoX6ZoiKDtOrOxxIRw1C2VRE5Io9aZWu2RZUW6cWs/edit#gid=1525803154

:patriot:

He is doing the Kirby's work. God speed you crazy autist.

Edit: Zoux's link lead to the unofficial Marvel Universe reading order guide.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Universe_Reading_Order

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 21, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A lot of books relaunched in '98. I want to say it was Heroes Reborn aftermath.

Edit: I'm super wrong it looks like.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 21, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Do you think Marvel will hire Shelley Bond and restart Marvel Knights under her? :unsmigghh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Ooooh. are we getting a new Quasar? I know I'm probably the only person that liked Quasar, but I hope so. When was the last time we saw the Quantum Bands?

Wasn't Phyla-vell wearing them last? She has been dead since 2010.

Edit: It is definitely Quasar. Yes more cosmic Marvel. Man I want a villain to go good. This works best at Marvel when they stick with it.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 23, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Quasar (Wendell Vaughn) had them in Annihilators. I'm not sure where they ended up after that.

looking at the wikis that would be the last time they showed up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Why didn't anyone say Paul Jenkins Inhumans 12 issue serried was good? Cause it was good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Were we talking about Paul Jenkins? I lost track. But yes, Son of M and Silent War are very very good books, and it's a shame nobody knew how to follow them up.

We weren't but I've never seen it come up as a good book ever. Anywhere. It was a nice surprise

X-O posted:

That's usually like the very first thing recommended when someone asks about the Inhumans. Yeah it's good. And I'm not even really a fan of Jae Lee's art.

Yeah his faces look weird at times, but it is my only complaint. Real interesting book diving deep into the Inhumans.

I like the look into how messed up the Inhuman societal structure and how incompatible with human society it is. Maximus was amazing too.

the 2000 Inhumans mini seems good so far. The art is gorgeous.

the Kirby concepts need more love by the comic public at large. It is a shame that Inhumans and Eternals never sustain a book.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

They've got two comics right now.

And I hope they last more than 12 issues.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

yeah the Sentry was cool and good until he actually entered the main MU. The early minis with him and various specials were interesting. Didn't Bendis muck the character up?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

wiegieman posted:

The Sentry was Bendised pretty hard. First he was a mentally broken wreck because of one of his villains hiring Mastermind, then he was actually a drug addicted abusive husband all along who mainlined some super serum.

That is what I thought from various bits i have caught over time. Haven't had a chance to read dark reign or siege stuff yet.

It sounds like a complete mess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Have they ever done a follow up to Wolverine vs. the Marvel Universe?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

You mean the mini series about that zombie like plague? If so that was a prequel to The Avengers vs The Marvel Universe and The Punisher vs The Marvel Universe. They were released in weird order though. The end of it (Punisher) came out first, then the first part (Wolverine), and then the middle part (Avengers). I'm pretty sure they're intended to be read in that order though.

Yeah I'm just figuring this out as I'm reading the Punisher story. They are good minis, but I really like Jonathan Maberry. His Joe Ledger books are entertaining reads.

The zombies in this are reminding me of the Slow Burn series which is another dumb, but fun read.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Why is there a new wasp?

Edit: where is Janet now? Did Pym change again?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember everything after Secret Wars you can blame on Franklin Richards.

H.E.R.B.I.E. was supposed to be watching him.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Cap killing Jack Flag and saying "Hail Hydra."
Nooooo:saddowns:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Now they should make Cap and Bucky gay. Break the nerdnet.

The Internet is clamoring for movie Cap and Bucky to be gay.

I won't read this issue for 6 months, but it sounds dumb and the only problem I have is the maybe death of Jack Flaggwho should have been kept in Guardians of the Galaxy. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Anyway one of Real Futurism's defining characteristics is that its artistic themes tend to strongly endorse fascism, which is pretty fitting for Tony.

Another defining characteristic is this dog:

It's my dog!
https://youtu.be/JrjdCfQz8s0

Sad she is a fascist. Always figured she was an anarchist.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Food Guy posted:

Well today I discovered that Marvel Unlimited has finally decided to stop being stupid and actually take my credit card. Looks like I have a long of Marvel titles to go through slowly 12 issues at a time.

Do you have an IPad or Kindle and a reliable internet connection? Cause you can read as much as you want with out having to download. You just "stream" them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

So what would you guys consider your personal must read marvel runs/arcs? Trying to expand my awareness.

Lee's Amazing Spider-Man Run #1-118 plus 4 more for Gwen Stacey Death to end at #122
Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s Fantastic Four run of Fantastic Four #1-102, Fantastic Four Annual #1-6

• Locked thread