Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Gibberish posted:

Trump will Bump you in the Rump

what is it with those anime avatars multiplying, didn't you have a cat picture just a couple hours ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

Don't you see guys? All the infighting, all the while ANIME IS TAKING OVER!!

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

ANGRYGREEK posted:

what is it with those anime avatars multiplying, didn't you have a cat picture just a couple hours ago?

lol apparently anyone who makes joke about bernard sandor gets one

thanks for spending $9.95 to try and trigger me even though I don't actually care about anime at all, random guy who bought this!

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
also this gives me a chance to use one of my gift certificates, thanks dude :3:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Like to see Trump pivot left now that he's currently super vulnerable from the right.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Like to see Trump pivot left now that he's currently super vulnerable from the right.

Trump has no contender on the right, except of course The Clinton, so lol if you guys are rooting for the dem nominee to pivot right.
She might get sore Cruz'ers, but'll lose too much.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I could totally see Clinton accidentally losing to her own false flag candidate.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Like the reichstag fire people in 20 years will think trump was in on it regardless of if he was or wasnt (he was)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

point of return posted:

Jeb Bush was the plant

This would explain why he has the charisma of one heyooooo!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

RocktheCaulk posted:

Sad to see how many people can fall for a 20+ year concerted effort of fake controversies against Hillary. She will still win anyway, because Trump is a loving idiot.

Should Clinton lose, it's going to be a great comfort to Democrats that the DNC ran the candidate who their opponents have had decades of practice attacking and are apparently so good at it that they've tanked her favorability.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

What a mess.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

May 3rd: welp; gently caress

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

katlington posted:

Like the reichstag fire people in 20 years will think trump was in on it regardless of if he was or wasnt (he was)

wait, what

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Typo posted:

do you think bill has hosed ivanka

smell this posted:

Any moment now

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

A lot of people think Hillary is going to powerbomb Trump in the debates and in the media; in reality she'll probably drop some weak pander-burns and commit about a billion unforced errors, but she'll still win because Trump has driven away too many demographics.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
she can probably take the "Biden in a debate against Sarah goddamn Palin" route of just repeatedly reminding the viewers that her opponent did not answer the question.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea because Trump will totally take the Palin tactic of babbling and being lost as a deer caught in headlights

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
have you seen any of his speeches. he may not look lost but lol if you think he's going to actually answer the questions

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
it will be the most amazing television in history

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hillary's known for barfing out five minutes of word salad in lieu of answering questions herself, so attacking someone else for not answering one might not be the best idea for her

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RocktheCaulk posted:

Sad to see how many people can fall for a 20+ year concerted effort of fake controversies against Hillary. She will still win anyway, because Trump is a loving idiot.

Hillary will win. But not because trump is an idiot.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Their guys an idiot loser who fell rear end backwards into the nomination.

Our gals an intelligent pro who campaigned with grace to victory.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can someone give me one example ever of a presidential candidate attempting to pivot actually working? And I mean ever, not even when they've said the most obvious authoritarian poo poo like Trump.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

Can someone give me one example ever of a presidential candidate attempting to pivot actually working? And I mean ever, not even when they've said the most obvious authoritarian poo poo like Trump.

Hillary Clinton

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Do the betting markets have an over/under on trump being a hillary plant, cause if so I'm all in

However, if he's NOT a Hillary plant, or if he WAS a Hillary and then went drunk with power when he realized that Jesus, there's way more stupid people then Hillary, Bill, and I predicted, I could actually win this thing, then yeah OP, he's going to kick her rear end in a big way

That last possibility would be darkly hilarious and give me some good belly laughs while I work in the Trumpstaffel logistics division. (Maximum Eichmann?)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zeal posted:

The real question is whether Hillary has hosed Ivanka

She wouldn't cheat on her bae Huma. :colbert:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Revenants Return posted:

Hillary Clinton

So basically, if you've been paying attention to politics for more than 5 minutes, no.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Fulchrum posted:

So basically, if you've been paying attention to politics for more than 5 minutes, no.

hey Fulchrum where you been?

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I honestly believe that Hillary Clinton would be a more dangerous president than Donald Trump. I will be actively canvassing and doing everything my power (hilariously limited, limp, and ineffectual it may be) to help stop her.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:sad:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Every candidate in every election.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Ahuh. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush and Reagan pivoted on what exactly in the general? And because I know you're dumb, I said in the general. Not after taking office.

Or is this another "all politicians do it" thing where no-one does it because it would just screw them over?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The groundwork was laid starting in 2008. The damage to the Clintons, the destruction of McCain and Romney, the purging of the "blue dogs" from the Democratic Party and the corresponding rise of Conservative populism, the creation of Obamacare as a focal point of government gone wrong, the polarization of rural whites against Hispanics.

In the fall of 2016, mere weeks before the election, Hillary Clinton was indicted. The charges, the trial, and the sentencing were swift and brutal. Anonymous sources leaked to the press that dozens of congressional Democrats were aware of Clinton's crimes and tried their best to cover them up. A century later this was be proven false, but the mere accusations proved to be damning in the 2016 elections. Trump was swept into power winning 532 electoral votes (only DC and VT voted for Clinton), a massive house majority was handed to the GOP, and the GOP had a gain of 6 senate seats (NV and CO were blowouts; the sitting senators in NY, OR, and WA were accused of being a part of the Clinton cover up and lost their seats, and the race in VT went into a month long recount upon Patrick Leahy's suspicious death a week before the election, leading to chaotic and mixed messaging from a burning Democratic Party telling some voters to vote for Leahy and other voters to write in a variety of alternative candidates; the final recount had Republican Scott Milne win the election by 11 votes).

January 20th, 2017 is now known as The Day of Revelation. After a day of fluff family interviews with MSNBC, Huffington Post, and the New York Times, Barack Obama took to prime-time TV an hour before midnight to reveal that he had been a Donald Trump plant this entire time. The address lasted less than 90 seconds and was entirely devoid of emotion; it concluded by telling citizens that further instructions would follow from Trump at noon on January 21st.

Barack, Michelle, Malia, and Natasha were never seen or heard from again.

On January 21st, 2017, the age of Trump's Conquest began.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The groundwork was laid starting in 2008. The damage to the Clintons, the destruction of McCain and Romney, the purging of the "blue dogs" from the Democratic Party and the corresponding rise of Conservative populism, the creation of Obamacare as a focal point of government gone wrong, the polarization of rural whites against Hispanics.

In the fall of 2016, mere weeks before the election, Hillary Clinton was indicted. The charges, the trial, and the sentencing were swift and brutal. Anonymous sources leaked to the press that dozens of congressional Democrats were aware of Clinton's crimes and tried their best to cover them up. A century later this was be proven false, but the mere accusations proved to be damning in the 2016 elections. Trump was swept into power winning 532 electoral votes (only DC and VT voted for Clinton), a massive house majority was handed to the GOP, and the GOP had a gain of 6 senate seats (NV and CO were blowouts; the sitting senators in NY, OR, and WA were accused of being a part of the Clinton cover up and lost their seats, and the race in VT went into a month long recount upon Patrick Leahy's suspicious death a week before the election, leading to chaotic and mixed messaging from a burning Democratic Party telling some voters to vote for Leahy and other voters to write in a variety of alternative candidates; the final recount had Republican Scott Milne win the election by 11 votes).

January 20th, 2017 is now known as The Day of Revelation. After a day of fluff family interviews with MSNBC, Huffington Post, and the New York Times, Barack Obama took to prime-time TV an hour before midnight to reveal that he had been a Donald Trump plant this entire time. The address lasted less than 90 seconds and was entirely devoid of emotion; it concluded by telling citizens that further instructions would follow from Trump at noon on January 21st.

Barack, Michelle, Malia, and Natasha were never seen or heard from again.

On January 21st, 2017, the age of Trump's Conquest began.

Please tell me you're from the future

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Fulchrum posted:

Ahuh. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush and Reagan pivoted on what exactly in the general? And because I know you're dumb, I said in the general. Not after taking office.

Or is this another "all politicians do it" thing where no-one does it because it would just screw them over?

So a week later, nobody can give a single example of any presidents doing this mythical pivot?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Basically every major president ever has made major pivots on foreign policy. Woodrow Wilson ran on the promise to keep America out of the First World War. Franklin Delano Roosevelt campaigned on the promise to keep America out of the Second World War. Johnson ran against Goldwater in 1964 by presenting him as a dangerous war mongering extremist but as soon as Johnson had won he began to escalate America's military involvement in Vietnam. Nixon pivoted on China, Reagan reversed his early stance about the USSR and ended up negotiating several arms treaties, George W. Bush specifically condemned "nation building" efforts during the 2000 campaign but then attempted his own nation building experiments in the Middle East.

Of course there are domestic policy examples as well. Obama campaigned against Hilary Clinton's healthcare plan but ended up implementing a plan that was very similar, including specific provisions he'd opposed such as the mandate to buy insurance. He also he would renegotiate NAFTA and not only did he not do that but his administration has been pushing for the TPP, which is basically NAFTA on steroids, etc.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Anubis posted:

Trump was a plant. Judging by the orange skin I'm guessing some kind of weird hybrid carrot, maybe?

Laughed out loud@ this

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Basically every major president ever has made major pivots on foreign policy. Woodrow Wilson ran on the promise to keep America out of the First World War. Franklin Delano Roosevelt campaigned on the promise to keep America out of the Second World War. Johnson ran against Goldwater in 1964 by presenting him as a dangerous war mongering extremist but as soon as Johnson had won he began to escalate America's military involvement in Vietnam. Nixon pivoted on China, Reagan reversed his early stance about the USSR and ended up negotiating several arms treaties, George W. Bush specifically condemned "nation building" efforts during the 2000 campaign but then attempted his own nation building experiments in the Middle East.

Of course there are domestic policy examples as well. Obama campaigned against Hilary Clinton's healthcare plan but ended up implementing a plan that was very similar, including specific provisions he'd opposed such as the mandate to buy insurance. He also he would renegotiate NAFTA and not only did he not do that but his administration has been pushing for the TPP, which is basically NAFTA on steroids, etc.

Well done, you've managed to spend two paragraphs without even reading the drat question.

I said pivoting between the primary and the general, not the primary and the presidency. All of those stances you laid out, each of those men ran on those same positions when they were representing the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Pretty sure that once he's sure it wouldn't hand things to Bernie Trump is going to start going on about how he personally has bought Hillary Clinton.

• Locked thread