Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill would have had a drink together and solved the issue of interplanetary data transmissions. Why won't Obama lead?
Because I'm bored (and want to head off gun-chat), here's how much Obama has lead in just in the last couple of weeks:

The shrinking grey part is ISIL-controlled territory.

ISIL got their asses kicked in Anbar (Iraq) in the space of a couple days.

https://twitter.com/IgnatiusPost/status/734114268941979648/photo/1

quote:

In Syria today with Gen. Joe Votel, Centcom commander, who visited anti-ISIS fighters and US military advisers.
Photo taken in Syria, he's wearing a US Army uniform with his name on it, both of them smiling for the camera, and the SDF flag right there in the background.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/21/politics/top-u-s-commander-completes-day-long-secret-visit-to-syria/index.html
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/21/syria-us-commander-secret-visit-joseph-votel
Guess what's happened after that (not-so-secret) visit:

https://twitter.com/selingirit/status/737977555412746240

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/737988124433879040

That's right, we're knocking the hell out of ISIL all over the Euphrates.

This is relevant to US politics because Raqqa, Manbij, and Fallujah are all most likely going to fall before November, and Hillary's going use these advances against ISIL to show that the US's foreign policy under Obama is working, that backing local ground forces with special forces and airstrikes works, and that she's going to continue what Obama's doing. And you know that she's following this poo poo very closely both because of her former job as Secretary of State and because she knows this is going to be her job in six months.

Meanwhile, Trump's foreign policy advisers will still trying to be trying to explain the difference between Sunni and Shia, Hamas and Hezbollah, and Quds and Kurds to him.

What I'm trying to say is that the first Trump vs Hillary debate is gonna be so much fun, Hillary's gonna turn Trump to paste.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So how about those small, stubby fingers eh Trump?

Sure you're not still mad about those tiny sausages at the end of your palms?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Here's one in freshly released campaign ad form.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/738788590306500608

On Terra Firma posted:

Holy gently caress. I know there are people that will stand by him no matter what but I cannot believe for a second people wouldn't be phased by this.
And this is why I'm not worried about Hillary vs Trump. Trump has left himself wide open to being smashed on multiple fronts, but the Republicans played nice(ish) and didn't eviscerate him.

Hillary is under no compunction to hold back, and will make him look like the utterly clueless idiot he is on national television, and she will have fun doing it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
If I'm my avatar, then apparently I have a self-loathing streak that's second to nobody and a psychologist's goldmine.:v:

Content, Trump has discovered the word "thugs":
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/739080401747120128
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/739082059348619264

This is not an auspicious development.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did he say something about Ali other than calling him a great guy (and being called out for not wanting him in the country because of his religion)? And what has he said about Tianneman Square?

emdash posted:

crushing protestors with military forces is a-ok, maybe even cool and good

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Yeah, exactly. I don't gently caress around with Twitter, but surely someone will call him on this, just wondering if it's happened yet.
Hillary already has, it was one of the 34 lines that CNN picked out:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/politics/hillary-clinton-attack-lines-donald-trump-foreign-policy/

quote:

"He praised China for the Tiananmen Square massacre -- he said it showed strength. He said, 'You've got to give Kim Jong Un credit' for taking over North Korea -- something he did by murdering everyone he saw as a threat, including his own uncle, which Donald described gleefully, like he was recapping an action movie."

That line was right before one of the greatest lines of the night:

quote:

"I will leave it to the psychiatrists to explain his affection for tyrants."
:vince:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SSNeoman posted:

Oh my god someone post some stupid poo poo about American politics please!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So now Trump is saying that Muslim judges can't be trusted not to be biased.

Newt loving Gingrich is now calling out Trump saying that he is making a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/739436549842964481
Good news! Trump is still an absolute loving moron.

Like I said, this is why I'm not worried about Hillary v Trump.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/739845605703442432
My home state did something cool and good for once.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lololol

https://twitter.com/huffpostpol/status/739972920701792256

He just doesn't know when to shut up does he.
Keep this statement in mind, and now imagine the first General Election presidential debate.

The debate where Trump is going to be trapped on stage with Hillary for two hours with no escape.

The one where Hillary will be out for his blood.

God I love politics sometimes.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 7, 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

climboutonalimb posted:

Could you imagine the scotus nominee craziness if Obama had nominated a minority instead of Garland?
What, you didn't hear one of Trump's news guys bashing Sotomayor?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

GalacticAcid posted:

The Village Voice has a long piece on two American leftists who went to Syria to join the Kurdish resistance.

It's good.
Crossposted this to the Middle East thread, hope you don't mind. It is a very pro-click of an article.

And in a crosspost from the Middle East thread:

The US has assisted the SDF (joint group of Kurds, Arabs, Assyrians, Turkmen, tribal groups like the Shammar, foreign volunteers like above, and anyone else who hates ISIL) in encircling Manbij in Syria, which has a population of ~100,000 people, making it a large ISIL stronghold. This advance started a week ago, and ISIL's basically done nothing but retreat the entire time.

So yeah, the US's anti-ISIL strategy is going very well. You might say we're well on the way to "degrade, and ultimately destroy" ISIL. Hey, who said that line again?:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 7, 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

People over exaggerate Hillary's aggressiveness, and warhawkishness

She's probably one of the more aggressive Dems but she's nowhere near as bad as people make her out to be.

Le Saboteur posted:

Its either that or people understate Obama's hawkishness. I can't see her being much more hawkish on the world stage than he was.
I think it's a little bit of both, but people definitely underestimate how hawkish/interventionist Obama is. I'm not even talk about "drones"; under Obama's presidency we've set up an airbase in Syrian territory that we're running our special ops out of. Hillary doing something like that would be considered hawkish as hell, but the world has largely given a collective "eh" when Obama did it. (It helps that all the countries not currently involved in Syria are trying to stay as far away from Syria as they can, and that we're helping a group that has very good PR in a lot of places, aka "the Kurds".)

So in this case Hillary's probably just going to continue what Obama started, because Obama already did the "hawkish" part of establishing the base with rather flimsy international legality.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 8, 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

This just keeps getting better. Please take a pot shot at the Terminator, Donald, please. :munch:
It's too bad Trump did the whole teleprompter thing last night; if he was still running at 100% Trump he probably would have done it already.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mozi posted:

That strikes me as fascist, somehow.
Red, White, and Black color scheme (especially with sharp angles) tends to read as fascist because that was the color scheme of the Nazis, and a bunch of "bad guy" organizations (especially fictional ones) use that same color scheme.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Equal parts Nazi and Cobra Commander, I'm on board
As seen here.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

UrbicaMortis posted:

Better make way for the new generation of meme warriors, grandpa.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just a general hyperbolic 'what you said was so bad that you should stop posting forever' sort of thing, but it was judged succinct and chuckle-worthy enough by enough people to become a meme, apparently. The twitter equivalent of :frogout: or :gb2gbs: basically.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Turn on your monitor

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

It's the twitter equivalent of saying "uninstall" when someone is bad at playing a video game

e: f,b like four times
The fact that Hillary understands this (or has people handling her twitter who understand this) is why it's so devastating. You don't have to understand it yourself, but it's one more way that Trump is utterly hosed for the next five months.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

I am legitimately concerned that he might do some military action that escalates into a very large international war because he was just in a mood that day.

I'm not 100% familiar with the full power of the executive to take action without the legislature - I know he can't declare war - but couldn't he easily order an action that would later be considered an act of war?
Pretty much everything we're doing in Iraq and Syria right now is without congressional authorization. The "legality" of our actions are from the 2001 AUMF to fight Al Qaeda. ISIL is not Al Qaeda, and in fact has fought with Al Qaeda in the past. That said, Obama tried to get congressional authorization, and was told to gently caress off by Republicans.

This has been mentioned before, but it's a good reminder that thanks to the last ~15 years, the President pretty much has carte blanche to do whatever the gently caress they feel like with regards to foreign policy.

And so would Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Trump's loss spurs an increase in violent right ring extremism the FBI will gleefully crush it.
See: the wildlife standoff/occupation that ended with everyone in the refuge making GBS threads themselves when the FBI captured the leaders in one fell swoop.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 9, 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, would it have been too much for him just to say Radical Islam just to cut off all the inevitable faux outrage over him not doing so? Honest question.
Remember, the people currently stomping ISIL in the nuts in Iraq and Syria (and Libya) are largely Muslim.

Obama is doing exactly the right thing, and I applaud him for not giving into Republican requests to say the three magic words that they think will make all scary people vanish into the Phantom Zone.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was wrong. It would have been a bad idea for him to say it.
It's fine, it's not immediately understandable at first glance why Obama does things the way he does, but usually there's a good reason behind it.:)

And you were willing to admit you were wrong, that's always a good thing to be able to admit.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fox Ironic posted:

Goddamn people, it's loving intersectional. Nothing exists in a vacuum. It's simultaneously:

- the American "Culture of Violence"

- Toxic Masculinity

- Religious Fundamentalism

- Poor access to mental health support services

- Lack of community intervention

- Economic and Social stressors causing persecution complexes and radicalization

- Lack of common sense gun control and/or appropriate gun socialization

Any individual thing is unlikely to cause violence on this scale, it's the combination and comorbidity of at least a handful of the above factors that lead to mass shootings.
Welp, Fox Ironic easily wins "best post on this other wise horribly lovely day".

Nice job.:unsmith:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well apparently Trump has said that he is changing the topic of tomorrow's speech to focus on national security. Oh god this is going to be painful. But hopefully we'll come out of it with new horrifyingly crazy soundbites.
It's like he's personally requesting that Hillary to turn him to paste or something.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He keeps saying there is no vetti process, but I was under the impression that the syrian refuges were screened really hard before being sent here. He is just making poo poo up again right?
The answer to "He is just making poo poo up again right?" is almost certainly yes. It's what Trump does.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
This is actually kinda sad. Born so near, and their lives went so differently.:smith:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/742783663000158208

Whoa

"Any other questions Mr. Majority leader?"

"So is Hilla-"

"No"

:sadturtle:

A Winner is Jew posted:

You know, if you were to have told me that republicans would consider gun control after 49 gay men were gunned down but not after 20 school children were gunned down I would have laughed in your face... yet here we are.
I think this confirms the secret to gun control: fear works better than empathy.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/11/gun-control-race-history-saul-cornell/

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

wasn't this supposed to be a speech about the shooting
Sanders has a bit of a... one-track mind. Like seriously, this was kinda his problem, dude will pivot back to his stump speech even if it's decidedly not a good time to do so.

On Terra Firma posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. This is scathing and the line about how politicians fall under the protection of those who work to fight ISIS, pause "even those who tweet", was awesome.
I really am gonna miss Obama.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
How does it feel McCain, to have less spine than Lindsey Graham? The gently caress happened to "maverick", who's this guy who just bows down to an orange clown man who insulted you? You got through the hell of being a POW in Vietnam, and now you're bending the knee to goddamn TRUMP?

There are terrorists who are Muslims. There are Muslim people beating the poo poo out of terrorists. Piss off Limbaugh.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Noam Chomsky posted:

I posted it a few pages ago. No one cared. I think for many Trump is beyond laughing at and now many in D&D are setting their hair on fire and are actually worried about the chump.
I've noticed this shift in the last month or so. Trump used to be funny when he was blasting the other Republicans, but now all the funny is gone and it's just horror instead.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SquadronROE posted:

Every time someone says "This is going to inspire armed revolution!" I remember the Y'all Queada in Oregon. They're all just full of bluster.
And the one guy who wasn't just full of bluster, Tarp Man, well we all know what happened to him.

And it was not the fantasy he had written about.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 18, 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: at the thought that Trump's list of cabinet staff can't get security clearances because they're in hock to every rear end in a top hat from Berlusconi to Sisi to Yanukovich.
And one is just a straight-up a Lebanese war criminal.

Welp, now we see what the fallout from this ends up being.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

emdash posted:

literally his biological children. they look pretty much exactly as you'd imagine
One of them is Eric Trump, who bears a distinct resemblance to Odo:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Eschers Basement posted:

Edit again: Wow, since people like this post - credit where credit is due, not actually my work, all taken fromm http://pleasecutthecrap.com/obama-accomplishments/
Sometimes it really is nice to be reminded of all the good stuff Obama's done.

That post full of good stuff+the Supreme Court possibly flipping 6-3 is why I will be quite happy to pull the lever for Hillary in November.
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ter_into_frenzy
Please let Clarence Thomas retire too.

Crain posted:

Oh no, boon, you've been hit by the touhoutar as well...:ohdear:

Boon posted:

I totally had it coming for today's posting, that's for sure.
I presume most of USPol will be Touhou by the end of the month. Then next month it'll probably another round of AV changes.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 20, 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hillary is using Trump's own words against him like in the national security speech. This is great.
Reminder: it's been like a month and Trump still doesn't have a response to any part of that speech.

Hillary eviscerated him, and Trump (and everyone in his campaign) knows it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Fine Ol' Solution, ya'll.

quote:

Accordingly, the first step in coming to grips with the Islamic threat is to officially declassify Islam as a protected religion in the hearts and minds of western populations. Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, and Presbyterians do not stone women to death; they do not behead those who are of a different faith; they do not throw homosexuals from tall buildings; they do not place their enemies in steel cages and lower them into tanks of water, or spray them with gasoline and burn them alive; they do not capture large numbers of women and young girls and sell them into sex slavery; and they do not sexually assault women and girls in public places because they think their style of dress is an open invitation. No, these are atrocities that are unique to the Muslim world. They are not, and can never be, protected religious practices by anyone’s standard.
Oh gently caress you rear end in a top hat, who the gently caress do you think is busy rescuing those Yazidis from slavery?

https://twitter.com/jackshahine/status/724600179270275072
https://twitter.com/EzidiPress/status/737735027069440001
https://twitter.com/EzidiPress/status/739223323041800192
While this rear end in a top hat has been sitting and writing a Nazi paper about how evil Muslims are, a bunch of various Muslim and non-Muslim forces have been busy saving Yazidis in any way they can.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

People are idiots.

A poll this morning (on lolCNN) had Trump 51 Clinton 43 for who people trust more to fix the economy. People are dumb and they tend to blame those in power for their problems.
Well then, let's see how long Trump's lead in being "good at the economy" lasts.

Sidenote, Hillary is really loving good at this twitter war stuff. I approve.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Crosspost from the right-wing media thread:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/746452315213828097

One of Obama's really interesting legacies is going to be the huge leaps in LGBT rights that happened in an astoundingly short amount of time.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Thundercracker posted:

Is Cameron the dumbest PM in UK history, or is there another example? Chamberlain doesn't count, he was threading a needle during war times. This is an unforced error.
Borrowing a couple posts:

SpaceDrake posted:

It's been said, but he's quite possibly a greater screw-up than even Anthony Eden. Eden at least had reason for trying what he did during the Suez Crisis; Cameron has destroyed the British Union purely as a side effect of a political trick that didn't work.

He hasn't quite reached Neville Chamberlain levels of "empower through inaction a brutal dictator who would go on to take tens of millions of lives" awful, but hey, October's still a ways off, and might as well swing for the fences, right?

At the very least he will never hold office again and he might just have to change his name and go into living in anonymous seclusion outside of England if the Union really does break up as a result of this mess.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Chamberlain was actually stepping up rearmament for the conflict with Germany (but knew Britain was nowhere near ready for war) and had to answer to an electorate that was still not willing to go to war, he's streets ahead of Call Me Dave. There's not going to be any Cameron revisionists speaking up in his defence in 70 years, this was almost entirely his fault.

David Cameron: "Quite possibly the dumbest PM in UK history, and yes we're including Anthony Eden and Neville Chamberlain when we say that."

I honestly agree with calling him the dumbest PM in UK history, because at least Eden's and Chamberlain's fuckups weren't self-inflicted/self-created and 100% avoidable.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

Will isn't voting for Hillary. I think Paulson did endorse her. My biggest concern is that a lot of neocons are fine with her foreign policy. That should worry everyone. I think it's becoming pretty apparent that if she gets elected we are escalating in Syria. Maybe also Afghanistan but definitely Syria. Right now the State Department is upset with Obama for not doing more on Syria, and apparently John Kerry is in agreement at least somewhat on that. I appreciate Obama not bowing to the pressure to get us further involved in a situation that is clearly a quagmire.

MC Nietzche posted:

Also you know when the State Department, which is ostensibly our diplomatic arm, is saying "hey diplomacy has failed we need to consider other options," then maybe they're right and you're wrong in your assessment of the situation in Syria? It's not like State has a lot to gain by advocating for more involvement unless you're going to say the entirety of the US Government, including the parts of it that are designed not to be, have succumbed to bloodlust.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/27/syrias-war-on-doctors
If the US is going to get (more) involved in Syria, I'd like specifics beforehand about what that would involve: how we would do it, who would we be backing, what would the day-to-day look like, where would the active zones of support be, which forces would we be fighting, how would we deal with SAA helicopters, how would we deal with Russian planes, what would international diplomacy look like while we're more active Syria, what would a plausible endgame be, how would we achieve that endgame, and finally what would the aftermath would be.

Our current strategy of backing YPG/Kurdish forces and their allies with air support to smash ISIL's face in has acceptable answers to all those questions, and is also working pretty well. Geographically though, the forces we're backing are somewhat isolated from the rest of Syria, and so some of the answers amount to "we don't currently have to worry about that", which would not be true in the future.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Main Paineframe posted:

Half the family are lawyers, they sue the crap out of people who mess with them.
That said, sometimes stuff happens that they can't do anything about :
http://www.rawstory.com/2010/11/fix-slashed-tires-antigay-protesters-report/

quote:

About a half-dozen members of the Westboro Baptist Church traveled to McAlester, Oklahoma Saturday to picket Army Sgt. Jason James McCluskey’s funeral.

Following the protest, the group returned to their minivan to find that the front and rear tires on the passenger side of the vehicle had been slashed.

“To make matters worse, as their minivan slowly hobbled away on two flat tires, with a McAlester police car following behind, the protesters were unable to find anyone in town who would repair their vehicle, according to police,” Tulsa World reported.

In the end, the AAA motor club was called and the minivan was eventually loaded on to a flatbed truck.

Assistant Police Chief Darrell Miller told Tulsa World‘s Manny Gamallo that the vehicle was taken to Walmart for replacement tires.

But even during the protest, things did not go smoothly for the anti-gay church members. By Miller’s estimation, the church members faced a counter protest of nearly 1000 people.
Someone in the town slashed their tires, and for some strange reason nobody else in town was keen to sell them new tires, so they had to have their vehicle towed out of town instead.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

When did the DnD concensus drift away from Secretary Castro?
It seems like if Hillary was more serious about picking Castro then we'd see more of an effort to put him in to the public eye beforehand. Stuff like interviews, footage, a replay of his 2012 speech, or something like that to help remind people of who he is and why he's been floated as a VP pick. None of that has happened, it's just been namedrops and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

I also have the BBC for general news, and 538 for analysis kind of reporting.

I do also have Daily Dot, and Vice if you wanna read about cool poo poo.

And for LGBT news I have the Advocate and THe New Civil Rights Movement.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Vice News? I know Al-Jazeera America already shut down, but then I think it was their international desk that was good to begin with.
International news in general is a good thing to look at if you live in America. It gives you a different perspective since it's looking at the US from the outside in, and also because there's lots of very important stuff happening outside the US's borders that you may not get in-depth information about if you stick to just US-based news sources.

• Locked thread