Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
You gotta love that "I served in Benghazi. gently caress Hillary." Ad. I should make a counter one, since I was in the military and was at Benghazi...for 3 days...in 2006. So my opinion has to mean just as much, right guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

^^^
Oh come the gently caress on. It's like you have a google alert for the term "Bernie Bros" and every iteration therein and then feel the need to rush to the thread to be contrarian.

If you want to see the effect it has on stupid people, check out the Daily Show segment last night of Jessica Williams last piece where she interviews Bernie supporters who are voting Trump. It's.... wow.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASt7GYdYx0

Someone explain to me why we shouldn't have voting tests again? Because I'm reminded of that quote (paraphrasing) "the biggest argument against democracy is 5 minutes with the average voter."

We should just be ruled by specialized committees and call it a day.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The reporter who initially discovered the meeting was told no filming or pictures. Information being spread doesn't negate the fact that it was initially tried to kept secret.

I'm arguing with a loving fence post here. There's no positives to what they did. If they hadn't have done this there would've been something else republicans would have harped on. This entire discussion could have been avoided easily if Bill had just went on his way. There's no goddamn hidden conspiracy that I'm trying to argue here.

I'm just trying to get it through your head that maybe, just loving maybe it looks bad. LOOKS. That's it.

It only looks bad to people without 2 brain cells to rub together, and if you're insinuating that that's the majority of voters, we have a much bigger issue in our hands than this meeting.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, because that insane test is the only way we can do testing. Got it. Not like we can ask questions that are factually true or false with zero ambiguity, amirite?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

MC Nietzche posted:

At some point a human will have to say if you passed or failed and can say you failed when you didn't which is the point of a literacy test. Even if you challenge them that would involve a trial and resources and time and by that point they've still accomplished their goal which was to prevent people they don't want voting from voting. Then they "change the test" or "people resign/are fired" and the whole cycle begins again.

Yet we haven't had this problem with our citizenship test. Wonder why that is?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Idk. As a black person bringing up Jim Crow and "grandfather laws" to justify not testing to make sure people actually know what the gently caress they are talking about in order to vote, especially poo poo that could doom an entire country, seems less like you actually care that it will disenfranchise minorities (because that's already a thing that still happens), and care more that it will disenfranchise the gently caress out of white people in much greater numbers.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

I personally can't wait until the internet explodes when the FBI says "We do not recommend pursuing charges at this time" and thousands of idiots blinded by rage take it to mean they are going to charge her later for some reason.

"The FBI is an all-knowing apparatus with experts! She can't fool them! You're going to jail Hillary!"

FBI: We don't recommend charges at this time.

"I knew the FBI was nothing but corrupt idiots!"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol if you think that if we had a voter test in America that it wouldn't be filled with a bunch of poo poo that fucks over minorities even more. Rights given have been taken away multiple times in our history.

It would also end up being a state by state thing so that Texas et al would have the "The Founding Fathers were all Christians. True/False?" And you can guess which one the Texas Legislature thinks is correct.

Well the hopes would be that it's a federally mandated test, and free. Hell, I'm really not seeing the difficulty in all of this, unless you're saying that white people are wholly incapable of being racist, which then begs the question why do we let white people vote at all?

Then again, I think the average person (including myself) shouldn't be voting on poo poo. Experts in their field should be voting on poo poo in their field. The committee of science and space shouldn't be filled with republicans who think the earth is 6000 years old and climate control isn't real. It should have the best and brightest of the sciences voting on...science. The Department of Education should be filled with nothing but educators, not politicians.

TL;DR: people are stupid because they vote in stupid people who make laws and budgets on poo poo they know nothing about. It's a dumb system and disenfranchisement of the dumb is a-ok.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

yes only racists should be allowed to vote?

It's been the American way for how long? I'm saying maybe we shouldn't allow that anymore, since the consensus is that white people in America are unable to not be racist, hence why we can't have a test to see if one should be allowed to make decisions that have the possibility of loving over their fellow countrymen.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

What do you think would be on that test? The definitions of political ideologies? The history of American politics? An IQ test?

You can't create such a politically powerful tool (your test) and not have it politicized.

Was the Civil War over states rights to institute slavery? [Y/N]

Easy. We knock off all the racists with one question.

Does the earth revolve around the sun? [Y/N]

Bam, we knock off the 25% of Americans who don't understand science on a fundamental level.

Basically, there's tons of simple rear end questions like this, that can eliminate so many of the idiots that should have been swallowed, let alone voting.[/Y/N]

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

Direct democracy is one of the worst forms of government because the individual voter is clueless about policy details, representative democracy is the best form of government yet discovered because even dumb voters have a general idea of what they want out of government. Representative democracy with just two parties is definitely not ideal.

This I agree with.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

You really want to disenfranchise the 39% of blacks who say states rights was the primary cause of the civil war? Or is this just a "willingness to lie to get to vote" test and people are expected to give the "right answer" regardless of nuance?

By pure numbers it would disenfranchise far more whites numerically, and as a black person, if those black people don't know it was over slavery, I'm good on letting them vote. They would be a drag on the progress of black people.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SSNeoman posted:

Why not. If he runs America as well as he runs this site, we'll probably be fine. I mean we survived Bush.

I worked at the MSP where Lowtax hosts the site. Whenever there was server issues, he was actually a really nice guy about it and worked hand in hand with us to get things done. He's a night owl so most of his tickets would come in on my shift.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Zas posted:

if you're in favor of restricting the franchise based on mental aptitude you're no different from the people who favor restricting it based on property, race, gender, religion or any other reason. you should probably reexamine your feelings about democracy, republicanism and civics. sorry

I've seen and my family has seen democracy in action, and it seems really awesome if you're a white guy, but kinda sucks for everyone else when the majority of the people are actively making rules to gently caress you, so maybe its not as awesome as you guys think it is.

Also 'just educate them!' works when people want to be educated, which we've seen is not the case in a lot of situations.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Marlows posted:

Even so, I bet it's a more nuanced take than the unbelievable Max Landis screenplay in the works that basically replaces "black" with "orc" and considers itself insightful social commentary.

So Max Landis is rewriting Lord of the Rings?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Zachack posted:

It's not apt because there was no benefit to being a slave while there is a benefit to going to college, plus the whole actual enslavement with whips thing. Arguing that Group A should get a benefit at the real expense of debatably faultless Group B is how you wind up with a failed proposal in a democracy. It's not even crab bucket mentality before you jump on that tired bandwagon.

Lets find a middle ground and how about black people get to go to college for free. I mean, its not like we will live long enough to actually use the education in any meaningful way considering the modern day lynchings that are happening.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

I agree with you, and of course it shows what the NRA is really about because this would be a public relations coup for them.

Actually I just thought of something. If Trump criticizes the police in this case (he's a big concealed carry fan after all, and just random enough to do it) then the NRA will too.

The NRA didn't say poo poo when a white dude killed a bunch of kindergarten kids. You REALLY think they are going to take up the mantle for a black person in any capacity ever?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Good to know its white people like Dead Reckoning that are fighting the good fight to do absolutely nothing and keep things as they are meanwhile I'm at risk of getting gunned down because a cop doesn't like me being all black in public.

Also, to be quite honest, gently caress any of the solutions that the average white person comes up with, because chances are they don't fully grasp the severity of the problem in the first place.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

the_homemaster posted:

Pretty sure you don't get shot if you don't resist arrest.

Please point out in a penal code literally anywhere in this country where the penalty for resisting arrest is summary execution.

If you can't, go back to the hole you crawled out of and miss us with this bullshit.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dazzling Addar posted:

point of fact, you get shot for calmly and lawfully obeying an officer's order to show identification while he has pulled you over

at this point it seems like the only relevant advice to black citizens in the united states in regards to not getting shot is "never leave your home" and i, personally, am not comfortable with that conclusion

Doesn't work. Remember Aiyana Jones?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I grew up believing the US was better than this. I'm being proven more and more wrong every day.

Then you grew up in s completely different America than most black people, which is probably part of the problem.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yeah it's probably a deeply ingrained issue of police culture and training, more than racist cops acting out fantasies, but the results are the same and we need to reform our police services from top to bottom.

If it was police culture and training a whole lot more white people would get shot on a nearly clockwork like basis.

But anything to not admit whites people are hosed up and have been hosed up to black people, which allows the continuation of being hosed up.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Congress would have hearings grilling police officers whenever they are involved in modern day lynchings instead of over dumb poo poo like an email server that didn't even have classified information on it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

MacheteZombie posted:

"WHAT LAWS DO WE HAVE TO PASS TO INDICT HILLARY!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" - idiot texan rep

Color me shocked that people in the GOP don't know ex post facto.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

It demeans the history of southern racial injustice to compare shooting an armed suspect to Alabama lynchings.

Hey, us black people have graduated from thugs to suspects!

Go die in a fire.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

emdash posted:

Obama statement on Baton Rouge/Falcon Heights:

What a weak rear end statement. Can't wait until we have a black president.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

He literally can't. Any statement he makes would loving torch any DOJ investigation and charge that could be made.

Yes, because they have made so much headway so far.

:frogout:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Black people: can you stop having the police kill us?

White people: But...

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

lol dude. Good use of Frogout.

Obama has spoke out on these things before, He's actually accidentally torched an investigation before for speaking out before.

This isn't a problem Obama can fix. This isn't a problem any president can fix. This is a legislative and state issue. This is an issue with Police union's essentially making it impossible for themselves to procecuted. A.G's and City Prosecutor abusing the Grand Jury system to make sure no police officer even gets indicted.

If he can't fix it, the least he could do is be loving pissed about it, and call out racist policing and racist people.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well I'm obviously white as hell because I've only been pulled over twice over 16 years of driving and I drive a 17 year old sedan. What's a "normal" amount of traffic stops for an average black American? I'll bet it's way more than most white people can fathom.

To this point, don't ever loving speed in Virginia.

I've been stopped on average every 2 months while driving since 18 and I'm 30. Sometimes stopped twice in the same day "just to see where I'm headed", to which the answer is "their moms house".

I've lived in NYC for a year and I've been stopped 3 times ON THE SUBWAY. I heard 31 times and thought that was low for his area.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Last time he did that Republicans actually tried to have the investigation shut down and criminal charges brought against Obama. So yeah, maybe that's why.

Oh well I guess we should all acquiesce to racists then.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

And what were the condition of his taillights?

Which is stupid considering HE WASNT DRIVING THE loving CAR.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sorry it frustrates you so much that Obama, as leader of the federal agencies investigating these police, can't rail against them in the way you want.

Of course, Obama going on a cathartic rant would make you or I maybe feel a little better, but it would be proof of the "war on cops" that the right needs to continue to justify shooting Black Americans. All while doing jack poo poo to help people trying to live their lives without dying to a killer cop.

His investigations have resulted in gently caress all change, so once again, why not say something? And who gives a gently caress about the right? They haven't ever needed a justification to kill black people, so why the gently caress does it matter?

All it seems like you're saying is "well we could say something or do something but racists will get mad" which sounds to be like white people really don't want poo poo to change.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Or maybe, I want to give these investigations a chance, rather than ensure 100% the cops are getting off scott free?

You want to throw out the federal investigations over what? An angry Obama speech? A more emotional speech only harms our chances at reform while solidifying "the war on cops."

Once again, they already get off scot free, even in cases where it's 100% obvious they are guilty, so once again, why waste the tax dollars? Might as well call out racism and hosed up racist police, then the next time (because there will be a next time), maybe there will be the social will to actually find them guilty, and if not, actually use vigilante justice to get it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Also the "oops I thought it was a taser" guy did get charged so there is hope.

If you're arguing for vigilante justice, I don't think Obama is ever going to be the spokesman you want.

I mean, I'd rather we investigate cops rather than just yell at them, even if the investigations are flawed. If Obama ruined the investigation we wouldn't be able to call out any BS used to get the off scott free.

You mean Oscar Grants killer? He got less time than Michael Vick did for killing dogs.

Once again, "flawed" is a massive massive understatement. The system absolutely does not work for black people, period.

Obama can't ruin something that already had the outcome decided before it started.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

The Hard part I'm thinking is the storage, and how to prevent that from being compromised if the car is taken.

Have a 4G antenna in the car, and have a panic button that will start streaming everything straight to an offsite server.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

That still doesn't mean he should do it just because.

So, the status quo it is. Except when black people start taking revenge in their own hands it's going to be a whole bunch of "why didn't they trust the system to fail them repeatedly over and over again?"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Who is pro race war?

When did cops become a race?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I feel the same way about the police being shot at as they do about when they kill unarmed black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man if this turns out to be a black guy get ready to kiss goodbye all of the progress that's been made regarding police brutality in the public consciousness.

Doubt it. You should look at the IRA. If anything it may finally put the respect into them necessary, if they know that the unlawful taking of a black life will be be paid in kind, and will stop fixing the legal system to avoid punishment.

• Locked thread